Chapter 3

All I Want is You

“How come I’ve never seen her?” Baekhyun said as he munched on the chips that he dug out of the bag I was holding. Now that he had admitted to liking Soojin, he seemed eager to express his every thought and ask the questions that I had just found out plagued him ever since he saw her walking into the school this morning.

“It’s a big school,” I replied, quickly grabbing some more chips from the bag before he could dig his hands in again. “Even I don’t know half the students who go there.”

Baekhyun shrugged, continuing to munch louder. “Yeah but... I don’t think I could have missed her if I ever saw her.”

I smiled and nudged him on the side. “What is this I see? Love at first sight?”

Baekhyun blushed and shoved me lightly. “I’m not in love with her.”

“Yeah, but you like her. That’s the first step towards love.”

“You’ve been watching too many dramas,” he mumbled, before diving for the bag of chips again.

“Some of those dramas were written based on someone’s experience.”

“Yeah, but a whole lot of it is exaggeration,” he said with his mouth full.

“Hey, but they’re not lying,” I pointed out, snatching the chips away from him. “That’s enough!”

Baekhyun pulled his hand back, pouting.

We were sitting on the steps that sloped down towards a platform that jutted out into the river. One thing about Baekhyun and me was that we loved staring at the river. Baekhyun said watching the running water calmed him, washed away his frustrations. I liked to see it as an epitome of life, of the passing time, unyielding and resolute to keep moving forward. It reminded me that I need to think of the future, that I need to pave a path for my life and my future.

On a less serious note, the river was like a refuge for us. A lot of people come here on dates, and friends would walk along the side of the river to talk and fool around. During the holidays or celebrations, they would launch fireworks from the other side of the river. The place would be full then and Baekhyun and I would always be one of the first to lay our blankets down and claim our place on the grassy bank or on the steps, always full of laughter. On other days, this was where we would sit and talk before we go home, safe from the prying ears of his sister or my brother.

“You’re so greedy,” he muttered.

“You’re finishing half the bag, and I’m the one who bought this,” I argued, turning by back on him to enjoy my chips.

I heard some scuffling as Baekhyun inched near me. “Oh come on,” he said, his voice close to my ear. “I’ll buy you ice cream if you let me have the chips.”

I turned my head and frowned at him. Like I guessed, his face was really close to mine. He was taking advantage of the close proximity to give me a close-up version of his puppy eyes, droopy and sparkling and absolutely irresistible.

Scoffing, I shoved him back and pushed the chips at him. “I want chocolate-vanilla.”

Baekhyun grinned and continued to munch on the chips happily.

I sighed and leaned back. “Anyway, what are you going to do?” I asked, returning to our previous topic.

I heard the munching slow as Baekhyun processed the question. “I don’t know,” he answered finally. “I don’t even think she knows I exist.”

“You like her, don’t you? Then do something to make her take notice of you.” I snuck a few chips out of the bag while he was lost in thought.

“I just don’t think I could shamelessly go up to her like that. I mean, I’m not the type of guy who drops his number to every hot girl he sees.”

“This is not just ‘some hot girl’. You really like this girl... despite the fact that you don’t really know her.”

“That’s exactly it. I don’t know her. And she doesn’t know me. If only we had mutual friends that could introduce me to her, I could...” He paused, trailing away, before turning a thoughtful gaze towards me.

I immediately knew what he was thinking.

“Please, Yoora,” he said with that dazzling grin.

“No,” I said flatly.

“You’re my best friend; you’re the only one I can count on to do this. Please. I’m begging you.”

“Baekhyun, you can manage perfectly fine on your own. You’re a good-looking guy. You don’t need my help.”

“Come on. I really, really like her. I need you to do this for me.”

I sighed. “I don’t even know if she’d want to be friends with me.”

“You can be likeable when you want to.”

“What on earth do you think my befriending her will achieve, Baek?”

“You can get her to tell you what she thinks about me.”

“That’s all you want? You can get Chanyeol to do that. He’s your friend too.”

Baekhyun shook his head vehemently. “Chanyeol’s a guy. He doesn’t understand you girls’ complicated signals and words. Yoora, please, I’m begging you.” He slid down the stairs and onto his knees, displaying his infamous puppy eyes once again.

“Oh my God, Baekhyun get up!”

“See, I’m on my knees for you!” he said, clasping both his hands in front of him. As an added affect, he jutted his lips out into a pout; a secret weapon that he knew I had yet to resist.

I rubbed my temples in frustration. “Alright, alright. Fine! I’ll get you your girl. I promise.”

“Yes! I love you, Yoora. You’re the best,” he said as he pulled me into a hug. “Take this as a promise, if there’s ever any guy that you need help with, count on me to help you get him.”

“Baekhyun, I can’t breathe,” I wheezed, held stuck by his tight hold.

“Oh, sorry,” he said as he let go, reshuffling back towards his seat next to me with a grin. “Yes!” he cheered silently to himself. 

“Yeah yeah yeah, don’t get too happy,” I huffed, fixing my crumpled uniform.

“But I mean it, you know,” Baekhyun said, suddenly turning serious as he fixed me with an intense gaze. “I really will help you get the guy if you really do like him.”

I averted my gaze, feeling my breath hitch slightly and the odd fluttering of my heart. “Whatever, Baek. If that’s what you say.”