Chapter 17

All I Want is You

Okay, try and keep calm. You’ve been with Luhan before, there’s no need to act all dazed and girlish around him, I thought over and over again, working hard not to show anything in my expression that could suggest how fast my heart was racing.

I trailed him as we walked down the aisles, my arms wrapped around my body as I watched his movements from behind. Years of soccer practice had toned his body; I could see it in his arms and shoulders. His hair just barely touched the top of his collar, and I noticed that the tips were a lighter shade compared to the rest of his honey blonde hair.

I realised that I was staring at him and immediately diverted my attention to the thousands of books around me. The bookstore had a crisp smell of freshly printed paper, and the sounds of pages being turned accompanied our steps. The air was dryer in here, and I shivered as the cold blasts of air from the air-conditioners made contact with my skin.

“Over here,” Luhan said, looking back at me. He slipped into an aisle and I followed, gazing up towards the metal plate that hung above the shelves. We were in the ‘Mystery’ section.

“I don’t know which one to choose from,” Luhan said, gesturing the rows upon rows of mystery books that lined the shelves. I scanned the titles and the names of authors underneath.

Perhaps it was all these books, or perhaps that I was keen to be with Luhan, but my anxiety had washed away the minute we stepped through the doors. Seeing so many books excited me, made me eager to choose one and flip through its pages.

“Does he have a specific author that he likes?” I asked absently, my finger trailing the spines.

“Um... none that I know of,” Luhan replied after a moment of consideration.

I picked one out and handed it to him. “Here. He’ll love this. The plot is carefully crafted, and the characters play out so well and every scene is linked to another in a certain way.”

Luhan gave the book a cursory glance before he raised his gaze to look at me again. “Do you like mystery?” he asked.

“I read almost every genre,” I replied, picking out another book from the shelf and turning it around to read the synopsis. “Mystery intrigues me, but I get headaches sometimes trying to solve the cases before the hero does.”

“Then... what do you like?” he sounded genuinely curious, as if he really wanted to know.

I gulped, not tearing my eyes away from the book. Honestly, I didn’t want to discuss this topic. The answer was too embarrassing for me to disclose, especially to my crush.

“Come on,” Luhan said encouragingly, trying to coax an answer out of me. “I won’t laugh. Promise.”

I mumbled my answer under my breath, which, surprisingly, Luhan caught.

“Something like in the dramas?”

“Innocent love, something like ‘Wolf Boy’.”

“Ah, what about love at first sight?” There was a mysterious twinkle in his eyes.

“Um, I suppose something like that too,” I mumbled.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

I couldn’t look into his eyes when I answered. “I guess I do.”

“I do too,” he said softly, and then smiled.


“Do you have something in particular that you want to eat?” Luhan asked me as we ambled down the street, looking for a restaurant to have lunch in.

I was familiar with this street; Baekhyun and I have been here countless of times to drool over the menus and day dream about the dishes we’d have once we got our first pays from our first jobs. This street was famous in the city for its five star restaurants and top cafes, none of which either of us could afford. Most of the time, we’d settle in a cheaper cafe, sipping on something hot as we talked about school, our life and our dreams.

“Anything here on a high school student’s budget?” I asked, my gaze drifting towards the large board hanging beside the door of an Italian restaurant, displaying today’s special with its price next to it.

Luhan winced. “Good point. How does a western lunch sound? Sandwiches and soda. I know a good place. Cheap too.”

“Anything that doesn’t wipe out half my wallet sounds good to me,” I said.

He laughed. “Follow me, then.”

He led me into an alley, towards one of the back streets hidden between two buildings. The smell of freshly baked bread and delicious pizza wafted into my nose as we passed. I inhaled deeply, letting the sweet scent of cheese and pepperoni infuse through my nostrils as I walked. My mouth watered and my stomach grumbled; I just noticed how hungry I was.

We emerged in another street, less expensive looking than the highly maintained one before. I immediately liked it better here. Strings of lights hung on doors and above windows, a spectral of different colours that flashed and blinked. The shops here were relatively smaller, but they looked quaint, adequate. Awnings jutted out from shop fronts, proving shady areas to set tables and chairs. I hadn’t been here before, so I turned my head around to take in the sight.

“You okay?” Luhan asked, jolting me out of my reverie. I realised that I had been lagging.

“I’m fine,” I said. “Just looking around.”

“Sehun brought me to this place,” he explained once I caught up with him. “His parents own a restaurant just around the corner, which is where we’re going.”

I nodded and let him lead the way. We turned at a junction, and just as he said, nestled at the corner was a small restaurant with a wooden panes and frosted glass windows. There were small potted plants on both sides of the glass door and a sign with the word ‘Open’ hung on it.

“Come on,” Luhan said, holding the door open for me. An image of Baekhyun flickered into my mind, performing the same gallant gesture as Luhan did now. I snuffed it out of my head and stepped through the door.

“Table for two, Mrs Oh,” Luhan said, smiling at the woman behind the counter. She had a pleasant face, lined with wrinkles from age but with high cheekbones and a beautiful smile.

“Luhan?” she said in surprise. “Hello, and who’s this?” Her eyes drifted over towards me and she gave me a welcoming smile. I bowed and gave her a quick ‘hello’ in return.

“My friend,” Luhan replied briefly. “I just thought I’d bring her here and have her try some of your delicious meatball and cheese sandwiches.”

Mrs Oh still hadn’t taken her eyes of me. I supposed she was assessing me, taking in my manners, behaviour and all other physical aspects. Her eyes were kind though, showing no judgement, and when they met mine, she smiled again.

“Of course. Sehun’s at the back. I’ll call him.”

Luhan panicked a little. “That won’t be –”

“I’m sure he’d love to see you and your friend,” Mrs Oh said, cutting him off before disappearing behind the door that led to the kitchens.

“Table for two, sir?” another waiter said. Luhan nodded with sigh, eyes still on the spot where he last saw Mrs Oh.

We sat across from each other, thanking the waiter as we received our menus. Luhan immediately bent his head and covered one side of his mouth with it, leaning forwards to whisper to me: “I’m really sorry if Sehun acts like an idiot.”

His voice had a worried note to it, and his eyes wavered with uneasiness. I looked at him amusedly and was about to ask him what he meant when the said boy suddenly appeared next to us, grinning widely.

“Hello Hyung, nice to finally see you here. And you brought her with you.” He grinned at me. “I’m Oh Sehun.”

“Kim Yoora,” I told him, somewhat amused by the fact that Luhan looked nervous and jittery.

“The usual, Sehun-ah,” he said quickly, as if he couldn’t wait to get rid of his grinning best friend.

“What about you?” Sehun asked, turning to me.

“Anything he’s having.”

“Ah, okay. Couple meals,” Sehun said with a wink. Luhan aimed a kick at his shin, which he easily dodged with a laugh. “You’re a bit wound up, Hyung,” he said with a smirk. “You should be happy. I mean, she’s all that you’ve been talking –”

Luhan leapt up then and slapped a hand over Sehun’s mouth. He smiled embarrassedly at me. “Ah, don’t listen to him. He’s, ah, not so right in the head when he works too much.”

“Mmmph mmph!”

I laughed as I watched Sehun try to prise Luhan’s hand off his mouth. Luhan twirled him around and pushed him away, muttering something to him that I didn’t hear –something that sounded like a curse word.

“Really, Hyung,” Sehun said he wiped a hand over his mouth. “No need to get so violent.”

Luhan looked like he was ready to throw the spoon on the table at Sehun’s head. Sehun, realising it too, quickly picked up his fallen notebook and scurried to the kitchen.

“Like I said, sorry that he’s an idiot,” Luhan said with a nervous laugh as he sat back down. “I thought he wasn’t working today.”

“No worries,” I said, still unable to contain my smile. “Contrary to his image, he seems like a fun guy to be around.”

“Yeah, but he can drive you up the wall once you get to know him. Anyway,” he said, quickly directing the topic away from his best friend, “I haven’t seen you for a long time.”

I raised my brows at him, a little confused. I was about to remind him about the little rooftop lunch we had just yesterday when he realised his mistake.

“I, uh, meant at the Dance Stage –the abandoned basketball court, sorry. We call it the Dance Stage.” He averted his eyes, looking shy and embarrassed. “What I meant is that I haven’t seen you there for a long time.”

He expected to see me? I thought, a little bit surprised by this revelation.

“I sort of forgot the directions,” I admitted, “and well, I didn’t think I was invited.”

“Of course you’re invited,” Luhan said, eyes widening in surprise. “Everyone is.”

“They weren’t exactly nice with the guests,” I said, recalling the time when I got pushed and ignored as I tried to ask for directions.

“Sorry about that,” he said, looking regretful. “But come anyway. I’d... I’d be really happy if you would.”

Was Luhan blushing? I thought. Honestly, at that point, I had no idea what to think. I was too happy.

“Of course,” I said, smiling softly at him. “I’d love to.”

Luhan blinked at me, as if it took some time to let the answer sink in. His lips spread into a bright smile and his eyes twinkled happily. He was about to say something when Sehun suddenly appeared.

“Aren’t you two an adorable sight,” he sniggered, setting our plates on the table.

“Oh Sehun, you better get lost now before I make you do one hundred push-ups during our next practice.”