Chapter 22

All I Want is You

The pond was situated at the back of the school, an area encompassed by trees. The school I attended was an exclusive private school, built in the middle of a large piece of land that was surrounded by trees and nature. To compare the environment of my school to environment of the city was like comparing a hawk to a sparrow, a lion to a cat.

The Academy was situated on the outskirts of Seoul rather than the heart, but it was still within walking distance of the shopping district and all other entertainment facilities that the city had to offer. The land spanned a few hundred acres, the school making up a large part of it. The rest was all trees and grass, cordoned off from civilisation by an electric fence that ran throughout the perimeter of the property.

The school was separated into two wings besides the main building, each three storeys high with paned glass windows. My class was in the west wing on the second floor while Luhan’s was on the floor above. The library was situated in the main wing, along with the offices and several other rooms that were too much for me to name. The labs were all situated on the second floor east wing, while other classes occupied the rest of the floors.

My school was famous for its multiple facilities, all equipped with the most advanced technology. We had a music sector situated at the east wing. It housed several music rooms (including the one Baekhyun and Chanyeol had designated as ‘theirs’), along with four dance studios that were open for the use of the students. There were also two gyms, one for the boys and the other for the girls.

Our cafeteria was underground, nestled away from the world above, and had glass tables with matching chairs. Meals were paid via a prepaid student card, and we had the luxury of choosing anything we wanted from the ever-changing daily menu.

There was also a soccer field, a baseball diamond, a basketball court and a swimming pool situated around the corners of the school. Like I said, this school was large, and I could have easily gone through my years as a student without ever meeting Luhan.

Originally, the Academy was only exclusive to the rich and talented, but sometimes they do offer scholarship programmes to give others a chance at attending. I was one of the fortunate ones whose permission letters got approved, while Baekhyun was just the lucky one to have his uncle working as one of the teachers.

I arrived at the pond, panting from the run. I spotted Baekhyun easily, standing at the edge of the water and gazing out towards the trees. His hands were in his pockets and his shoulders looked stiff, his stance tall and straight. His bag was lying on the grass next to him and I his tie had been chucked on top of it, drooping down onto the grass like a lifeless snake.

“You have a lot of explaining to do,” I said, standing a few feet away from him.

Baekhyun turned when he heard my voice. His eyes widened in surprise and disbelief, before relief washed through them and his face eased into that jubilant smile I realised I had begun to miss.

“You came,” he murmured, stepping away from the edge of the water and making his way towards me. “I was so sure that you wouldn’t.”

“Is texting getting out of fashion?” I said, averting my eyes away. There was a look in his eyes, a sharp intensity in his gaze that I couldn’t seem to meet.

Baekhyun chuckled half-heartedly. “It’s convenient, but I don’t think it could convey proper sincerity.”

I looked up then. “Why were you late today?”

He smiled sheepishly and gestured at the box. “To get that. I had to leave home early and rush to the confectionary to get it from Kyungsoo, but then the bus came late and I really couldn’t reach school in time.”

“Kyungsoo?” I asked in surprise. “You mean these were the chocolates we made yesterday? Didn’t you want to give yours to Soojin?”

“This is more important than that,” Baekhyun replied, his eyes flitting away for a moment. I saw the expression in them, a moment of temporary discomfort, before they became warm and met mine again. “I really didn’t think you’d forgive me.”

“For what? Avoiding me the whole day and basically acting as if I was nothing but a wooden stump?” I said, a little bit annoyed.

“For yelling at you yesterday. I was so afraid to look at you because I thought you would be mad, that I might see the hate in your eyes.” He looked terribly guilty, like a puppy caught doing something wrong.

I was taken aback. “Baek, that was nothing. You know I can’t be mad at you because of that.

The look he had on his face right now showed that he was truly elated to hear that. “You weren’t?”

“No. Of course not. We all lose our cool sometimes. But really, Baek,” I said, turning serious, “why were you so upset?”

“I just don’t like having him hit on you,” he said, his expression turning dark.

“I can handle him myself, you know that.”

“I just don’t want you –” he stopped, biting his lip.

“ –to fall for him? You know guys like Jongin aren’t my type. After, I like...” I trailed off, unable to continue. This was the first time I attempted to verbally admit that I liked Luhan, but still, I couldn’t seem to get the words out properly.

“Luhan, right?” Baekhyun guessed. There was something about his smile; it looked strained and forced.

I didn’t reply. “So, still friends?” I asked, holding out a hand for him to shake.

“Of course,” Baekhyun said earnestly and then reached out to take it.

A jolt spread through my arm the minute he touched it, and I couldn’t help but stare at our entwined hands in surprise as the feeling continued to surge up my arm. I was too aware of Baekhyun’s soft palm, his long thin fingers that curled perfectly around mine. He held on for a second longer before he let go.

“Ice cream and cake?” Baekhyun asked, naming the after school snacks that we would usually treat ourselves to on our way home. 

“Lead the way.”