Epilogue II

All I Want is You

I sat by the glass window, my chin propped up on my hand as I smiled at the scenery. The golf club had a beautiful landscape filled with luscious green grass, bordered by tall trees that fenced the area in. Young men in bright polo shirts walked around with clubs in their hands, sun visors gleaming in the sun. The sky was a rich, beautiful blue –a blue that foreboded a perfectly fine day ahead.

The golf club was a situated on the outskirts of the city, atop a piece of land that stretched for acres and acres before ending at the perimeters of a forest. The club house was built on a hill, with a road winding upwards towards the magnificent structure that boasted of modern architecture. It had hundreds of rooms, each for different purposes and available for public use at different times. The one I was in now was at the topmost floor; an exclusive cafe that was reserved only for the paying members of the club.

The tables here were draped with pristine white table cloth, giving an overall sophisticated appearance. The decorations mostly consisted of wood and marble, but the beauty of the room had to be its view. The fourth wall facing the golf course constituted thoroughly of glass, allowing the occupants a picturesque view of the luscious green and the orange sky during dusk.

I twirled the ice cubes in my glass and took a sip, too occupied by the view to notice a guy slipping into the seat across from mine.

“Don’t you ever get bored of sitting at the same place and staring at the same scene?”

I whipped my head around to stare at him. “Gosh Sehun, say ‘hi’ or something. You scared me.”

“You look like a model from a magazine whenever you're thoughtful, Noona. Why interrupt the scene when you can admire it?” he said with a wink.

I rolled my eyes and chucked the napkin I balled in my fist at him. “You’re really something, Oh Sehun.”

“Compliment, Noona,” he said with a laugh. “It was a compliment. Hyung’s lucky to have you.”

I blushed slightly but covered it up by sipping on the orange juice in my glass, taking a moment to study Sehun.

It had been six years since high school, four since I graduated. I was surprised that Sehun –previously so gangly and thin –could have grown up to be something of a catch to the female eye. He had nicely sculpted features that went well with his smile, with eyes that crinkled every time he was happy. He certainly had gotten more toned since high school –a product of the rigorous training regimen he had to endure for the past two years ever since he got accepted into the company.

“You’re here early,” I commented, glancing at my watch.

“Of course! How can I miss my favourite Noona’s birthday?” he exclaimed, as if the very notion was absolutely unthinkable to him.

“Thanks, Sehun,” I said with a laugh.

“And besides,” Sehun added as he leaned in to whisper to me. “This gives me a chance to rub in the fact that he’s late.”

I shook my head with a laugh. I twined my fingers together and rested my chin on them. “So, how’s training?”

“Exhausting,” Sehun said with a sigh. “You have no idea how hard it was to even get this day off to celebrate with you, Noona. Those people are beasts when it comes to perfection.” He leaned back in his seat, demonstrating the exhaustion he felt.

“I know,” I said, sympathising with him. “I’ve had two people complaining about it to me. Don’t worry, Sehun. You’re almost debuting anyway. Soon all of this would pay off.”

“Yeah, but you haven’t endured the torture of playing back-up dancer,” Sehun said with a roll of his eyes. “Gosh, I know he’s bossy, but it’s driving me over the edge to work with an idol.”

“Who’s bossy?” another voice chimed in. “Him?”

We looked up to find Soojin standing next to us, holding a box in her hand. As how five years had enhanced Sehun’s looks, it certainly had cultivated her beauty. Soojin was now five foot seven, with a proportional figure that any girl would die for. That luxurious long hair she kept in high school had now been trimmed until it fell just below her shoulder blades, artfully layered and styled. Her eye at picking out just the right clothes had served her well over the past few years, even landing her a job at one of the top fashion companies in Korea.

But nevertheless, beneath that fashionable and chic image lies that wonderful girl with a kind heart whom I knew since high school. We had grown increasingly close over the past few years, attending university together and embracing the new world of adulthood with linked arms. She was the best friend that I could rely on; the girl that I regretted to have once been jealous of during my immature adolescence.

“Who else?” Sehun said as he stared at the box she placed in the middle of the table with hungry eyes. I supposed it had something chocolate in there; Sehun could smell chocolate from a mile away.

Soojin smacked his hand that was slowly creeping towards the box away. “Sheesh, wait for everyone else!” she said with an exasperated sigh. She inched the box close to me and opened the lid. “Ta-dah! What do you think?” she asked, showing me the splendour of a cake tucked neatly inside.

“It’s beautiful! You shouldn’t have.”

“On the contrary, I should. You got me cake for my birthday,” she said, lifting it out of the box as I put it away.

“You didn’t make that did you?” Sehun asked, warily eyeing the cake.

Soojin glared at him. “What is that supposed to imply?”

Sehun and I laughed. Soojin, although perfect in terms of looks, was a notoriously incapable chef. She couldn’t make macaroni and cheese without burning down the kitchen.

Despite the stern front that she was showing towards us, I saw the hints of a smile that was threatening to lift her lips up. “Okay, okay, that’s enough you two. It’s not that funny.”

We stifled our laughs but couldn’t help the smiles spreading across our faces.

“I bought it at The Do Bakery and Confectionary,” she explained, gently setting it down on the table.

My eyes lit up. “Did you meet Kyungsoo? How is he?”

“He’s fine. In fact, he’s the one who gave me a discount when he found out that it was for you. Told me to wish you ‘happy birthday’ on his behalf.”

I smiled, feeling happy. Kyungsoo’s family business had expanded from simply making chocolate to a full dessert empire. They made cakes, cupcakes, sweets, candy canes –anything and everything of the sugar variety. I met Kyungsoo a few times over the past few years, and he still remained to be that amiable, friendly boy that Baekhyun had introduced me to all those years ago, although he did look different now that he was training to take over the family business. 

Soojin’s phone rang then, and she rummaged through her purse to dig it out. She glanced at the caller ID and sighed. “Honestly, this guy is too overprotective.”

“He’s just worried for you,” I said. “I think it’s very sweet of him to care so much for you.”

“Yeah, but I feel like I’m being treated as a child sometimes,” she complained, pressing the answer button and walking away. “Kris-oppa? Yeah, I’m here...”

I smiled as I watched her walk away, reassuring her boyfriend that her journey here had been safe and free from any dangers he fretted she might encounter.

Kris had attended the same university as Soojin and I and they had gotten together when she was a freshman and he was a sophomore. They were the campus couple, highly envied and admired. I was the witness to their blooming love story, from the first glances to the fights that broke out between them.

However, no matter how terrible the fight was, no matter how Soojin would come running into my arms crying sometimes, there had never been a day when they stopped loving each other. Soojin had completely fallen for and was devoted to Kris; Kris had never looked at another girl besides her.

Their relationship had blossomed to the point that they could bicker and argue with each other but people would still find it glaringly obvious that they were a couple. My position as Soojin’s best friend had made me a frequent spectator to their comical disagreements and the listening ear to their multiple complaints about each other. Soojin had repeatedly voiced her exasperation towards Kris’s overprotective nature. Although I never told her, I knew the reason why; I had received repeated requests from Kris to make her dress in less fashionable clothes and to stop styling her hair, along with several calls made on regular basis asking if Soojin was currently in contact with any other guys.

I watched as her figure disappear around the corner, voice rising rapidly as she rebutted whatever notion Kris was relaying over the phone. Her figure was soon replaced by another one, male, stumbling into the door in his rush to get in. A grin split my face as I rose to greet him.

“Yoora!” Luhan said, running forwards to embrace me. He picked me up and twirled me a few times while I laughed, whacking his arm to make him stop.

“Happy birthday,” he said with a grin, setting me down on my feet. He ran a hand through his hair, tousling his perfect golden locks.

In high school, Luhan was the school heartthrob; as an idol, he was the nation’s dream boy. Having just debuted a year ago, he rose up the music industry and soon became a sensational singer and dancer. Like Soojin, he always had a knack for picking out things that would suit him perfectly. Standing before me now, dressed in a pair of black jeans with a dark green shirt and a leather jacket above it, Luhan looked every bit like the celebrity he was supposed to be. However, I could never mistake that twinkle in his eyes; those gentle, naturally sensual brown orbs that showed the fiery passion in his soul. 

“I’m so sorry I’m late,” he apologised. “Got caught up in the practice room practicing with Jongin for the collab performance we’re supposed to do.”

Ah, yes. Kim Jongin, the high school player who I used to despise had grown to become a singer as well. He signed into a different company than Luhan, but history somewhat repeated itself when they were made rivals again by debuting in the same month. While the girls adored Luhan for his angelic looks and his gentlemanly manner, they swooned over Jongin’s charisma and bad boy exterior. He drew in fans like how nectar drew in bees –and truth be told, even I find myself entranced by his stage presence.

A hard life as a trainee had put an end to his player days, and I found out that Kim Jongin could actually be made into an amiable friend. We bumped into each other once while I was delivering flowers for my boyfriend backstage on the day of his showcase, and Jongin had kindly offered to take me to his dressing room. We talked for a while as we walked, and I was surprised to find that playful, irritatingly self-assured Casanova had grown into a mature young man with set goals in life.

I had bluntly mentioned this fact to him, and Jongin had taken it good-naturedly, responding with a light laugh. He told me that the entertainment business was a complex industry that relied solely on talent and public likeability; one had to endure thousands of critics before even being considered to make the cut. He had to reshape his ways to appeal to the public, a transformation that he found not at all hard once he started getting his priorities straight. Although he did demonstrate the remnants of his player past when he jokingly flirted with me, I had to admit that I liked this version of Jongin a lot.

Luhan collapsed into the seat next to Sehun, reaching out for the glass of orange juice Sehun ordered to take long a sip. “That’s better,” he said, leaning back. “I think I can finally breathe properly again.”

Sehun scowled, snatching away the drink from him. “Please, I suffered worse dancing with you.”

Luhan turned his head towards Sehun. “Speaking of which, did you memorise the steps yet?”

“Yes!” Sehun yelled exasperatedly. “I have since the past week. Geez Hyung, can’t you give a guy a break!”

Luhan smiled, reaching out to ruffle Sehun’s hair. “You know I’m kidding with you, Sehun-ah. I won’t overwork you.”

Sehun crossed his arms across his chest, rolling his eyes. “C’yeah right. What about that day when you made me dance to your song for five hours with barely any breaks?”

Luhan grinned. “That’s revenge, kid. For all those times you embarrassed me back in high school, especially in front of Yoora.” He winked at me.

Sehun’s jaw dropped, and he struggled to protest. Luhan exchanged amused looks with me before we launched into a conversation, ignoring Sehun completely.

“Are you releasing your album soon?” I asked, stirring my iced tea before I took a sip.

“Due in two months,” Luhan said with a happy grin. “Don’t worry, you’ll get the first copy. There’s even a song featuring the duo.”

I smiled and set the cup down. “How are Baekhyun and Chanyeol?”

“Great! We talk about you all the time. It’s still strange to think of them as my sunbaes when I was the one who was their sunbae in high school.”

I smiled slightly. Baekhyun and Chanyeol debuted a year before Luhan, and their venture into the music industry had been remarkably well received. They rose into popularity overnight with their debut single, boasting of Baekhyun’s powerful vocals and Chanyeol’s distinct rapping style.

The bond forged between them as high school band mates had a created a valuable chemistry that the CEO of their company regarded as the perfect marketing opportunity. The timbre of their voices, their uncanny ability to instinctively understand each other and mould their voices to be in perfect harmony, made their music possess a certain depth that other singers strove to achieve. Coupled with their good looks, it wasn’t a surprise that they captured hearts left and right.

It made me proud to know the leaps they made in these six years alone, how they evolved from amateur musicians to respected idols. Sometimes, I could almost see that old music room again, witness to so many practice sessions and privy to thousands of secrets. A wave of nostalgia washed over me as I realised how much I missed high school.

“Yoora, you okay?” Luhan asked, leaning forwards and waving his hand in front of my face.

I turned to him and gave him a genuinely happy smile. “Perfectly fine.”

Luhan leaned back and shared a clandestine smile with me. In all these years of knowing each other, he had developed the ability to sense my thoughts, while I in turn read his like an open book. We shared private jokes, conveyed everything in our heads through small smiles and eye contact. We had developed a bond that could have never happened if the events had taken a different turn in high school; if the pages had been rewritten to tell a different story, I would have definitely lost someone whom I considered to be very precious to me.

“Hey Luhan, you’re here,” Soojin said, sauntering back to the table after –what I assumed –a long debate with Kris on whether or not he should pick her up. “Long time to see.”

Luhan smiled up at her. “Likewise.”

“Can you do me a favour?” she asked, settling in the seat next to him and giving him one of those saccharine smiles that I knew held a hidden intent.

“So long as I don’t have to jump a building –or anything for that matter –sure, of course.”

“My niece is a diehard fan of you,” she said, sliding the notebook she dug out of her bag towards him along with a pen. “Can you by any chance give her an autograph?”

Luhan took the pen and notebook, looking amused. His hand moved with fluid ease as he signed his name on the pristine paper. He slid it back towards Soojin. “Here you go.”

Soojin smiled at him. “Thanks a bunch.”

“Do you want my autograph too?” Sehun asked with sparkling eyes. “After all, I am going to debut.”

Soojin tapped her chin, assessing him up and down. “Nah, I don’t think you’re her type.”

Luhan and I laughed while Sehun stared at Soojin in disbelief.

“Too bad, kid,” Luhan said, slinging an arm around Sehun. “You gotta work for popularity.”

Sehun scowled while I smiled. These two had been the best of friends for the longest time I could remember, and I had witnessed myself the unconditional trust they put in each other, despite their playful bickering. If there was anyone who would guide Sehun in his road to stardom, it would be Luhan.

“Are you going to visit Yixing?” Sehun asked, snatching away the glass that Luhan was going to sneak another sip from.

“Yeah, maybe on the weekends or something. He’s always busy on weekdays, managing the dance school and all.”

Zhang Yixing, that pleasant, sweet-faced boy who had been introduced to me as a member of Luhan’s dance trio, had decided to pursue a different career than his two group mates. Stardom wasn’t for him apparently, but given his love for dancing, he had chosen another course that would still allow him to embrace his passion.

The Zhang Dance School that opened up on the third street had been fully established by him alone, with Luhan aiding on the funds. It gained immediate recognition due to the celebrity endorsement, but I think it was Yixing’s gentle and patient demeanour that made the students actually want to stay. To some degree, he was strict, but at the same time he was kind to his students and was generous with his praises.

“Can I come?” Sehun asked.

Luhan scoffed. “Please, you only want to because of all the girls.”

It was also a known fact that Yixing’s dance school was getting increasingly flooded with enrolment requests from girls, partly because of the good-looking teacher, and partly because of the idol and idol-to-be who were frequent visitors of the institute.

I leaned back and glanced at my watch, my eyes flickering towards the door as I let out a small sigh. Almost everyone was here already. Where was he?

Soojin saw my distress and reached out to tightly clasp my hand, flashing me a small reassuring smile.

 At that moment, the door burst open. A tall figure stumbled through the entrance as his foot knocked against the potted plant that rested neatly at the side. I stood from my seat, my eyes lighting up immediately.

“Damn it,” he muttered, hopping on one foot towards the table by the door. I rushed up to him, taking the bag he had in his hand and handing it to Sehun who was standing behind me.

“You okay?” I asked, concerned.

“Yeah, fine.” He flashed me one of his bright, signature toothy smiles as he looked up at me. “Happy birthday, Yoora.”

Taking in his messed up hair and his overall dishevelled appearance, I gathered that he had run the entire distance from the lobby to the cafe. His hair was dyed a rich mahogany brown, probably to the suit the new concept of the album they were scheduled to release. His youthful face looked thinner from when he was in high school, giving way to a nicely defined jaw and a straight nose.

“Sorry, I’m late,” he said, addressing the room in general. “Our schedule was packed today.”

“No prob. Party hasn’t started anyway,” I said with a dismissive wave. “Where’s –”

“Sorry, Yoora,” Chanyeol said with a sad smile, straightening up and patting my shoulder with a pitying look in his eyes. “He said he can’t come today.”

My smile faltered and my shoulders deflated. I felt Soojin drape and arm around me, pulling me close to console me. I forced on another bright smile, trying to act enthusiastic despite that my heart my plummeting to my stomach.

“I understand, he must be very busy,” I said, trying to ignore the sympathetic looks Luhan and Sehun were giving me. “Let’s get the party started then, since we’re all here.”

I lightly pulled myself out of Soojin’s arm and started towards the table, trying to keep the tears from falling. I heard their slow, hesitant footsteps following me from behind.

“This looks delicious!” I said, trying to lighten up the mood as I stood in front of the cake.

“Let’s sing,” Luhan said with a smile. He began to clap, singing the customary birthday song that accompanied every birthday celebration. The other’s followed, smiling and clapping along with him. “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you~”

 I smiled, humming along the song with them. A voice suddenly joined in, cutting through the voices of my four friends. It was powerful and emotional, yet gentle and mellifluous –familiar, for I had heard it sing to me thousands of times now. I froze in place, rooted to the spot as the voice got nearer and nearer, unable to turn. I saw the surprise flicker in Soojin’s eyes before they lit up with laughter. I saw Luhan and Sehun smiling, exchanging looks with each other as they proceeded to harmonise with the voice. I saw Chanyeol grinning, flashing a wink at me.

The voice was directly behind me now, close to my ear. He was almost whispering the song to me.

“Happy birthday, dear Yoora,

Happy birthday to you.

I held my breath as two arms s around me, holding a large bouquet of roses. It was exquisite, beautiful, and I stared with wide eyes at the card perched at the very top.

To my beautiful Yoo,

I love you.

“Happy birthday,” Baekhyun whispered to me, while everyone else burst into a joyful and loud applause.


THE END ;)

The long awaited ending has finally been released! Thanks for all the support guys. You have no idea how much I love reading your comments and your opinions. You, my lovely readers, are my motivation to write. 

Until next time ;)