Killing Your Best Friend's Lover

Lost in Love

Halfway through the shoot, Ayumi noticed you were getting tired. You kept bending down and pinching and punching your calves in an attempt to soothe them. Yukwon also noticed this and passed a fold up chair to Ayumi.

'Get her to come and sit on this'

'Do it yourself, Kwonchan. You might as well try and get on her good side since you want to get back together with her'

'But-'

'Yukwon-ssi, I need you over here! Please!' called the photographer.

Yukwon smirked and waved his fingers as he walked off to see what the problem was. Ayumi went to bring you in and you apologised over and over for leaving in a huff. Naturally, Ayumi didn't mind. She was happy you had been able to see the shoot from the start as it showed your passion for the job. You sat down on the chair and put the plastic tupperware box on the ground by your feet. 

'Is that from big s?'

'You mean Jieun?'

'Of course. Hey, between you and me, do you think she's had something done? There's just no way she's au naturale. Even if she's a bagel girl, there's something not right. I don't think Koreans can have such large chests.'

You looked down at your own chest. 'Neither did I...'

Craning your neck to look around the photographer, you watched Yukwon work. It was strange seeing him after 3 years. You had gone into journalism at university and he was supposed to study architecture. How he ended up as a Fashion Editor at one of Korea's most respected magazines was something you desperately wanted to know. You'd never ask him though, of course. 

He was dressing the model in her next outfit for the shoot. Although the clothes had been chosen by Ayumi and he wasn't allowed to try to change anything, Yukwon added his own flair by piling on the jewellery- rings, bracelets, necklaces, all of it. Everything he did, you loved. If Ayumi had put together an outfit that wasn't very appealing to you, Yukwon's handiwork instantly made it your style. If you already liked Ayumi's outfit, you'd like it even more after Yukwon had added his finishing touches. 

Little did you know, everything he was doing, was for you.

He knew your style and that was what all his work was based on. 

You just never saw it. 

 

***

 

'Cheers!'

You arrived to the restaurant later than everyone as the shoot had overun. All your friends were there- Nari, Ahreum, Soojin, Heeyoung and Jaeyoon included. It was another girly night in before Nari and Jonghyun's joint party that was supposed to be the following day. 

'Dahye! You're finally here!'

'Mianhae, guys. I got caught up at work...' you said

'That's fine, all that matters is that you're here.' said Nari

You smiled at your housemate. Despite living together, you had barely seen her as she was either with Jonghyun or you were at work till late. Soojin looked at you with concern. 

'How's the Yukwon situation going?'

You shrugged. 'Could be better but could be better. It's alright if I ignore him'

'But unnie... Don't you like him?' said Jaeyoon

Everyone shot piercing stares her way. They weren't sure how you'd take this question. Warily, they turned to hear your answer.

'How could I still love a jerk like him?'

 

***

 

Nari was drunk as you drove the both of you home. At one point, she tried to kiss you and you had firmly told her no. She whinged and whined and you couldn't wait to lock her in her bedroom and get some rest. 

'But Dahye, I love you!'

'No Nari, you love Jonghyun. You love Jonghyun and you're having a party tomorrow together'

'No I don't!'

You groaned as you pulled up at the traffic lights, resting your head on the wheel. Nari swayed around in her seat and you thanked the lord you had remembered to put the seatbelt on her. She suddenly started yelling and pointing out of the window.

'Look Dahye! Dahye, look! Look!'

'Now what is it?!' 

'It's Yukwon! But... He's with a girl. Dahye, why is he with a girl?'

'That's his girlriend, Nari.'

Nari shook her head. 'No! You're his girlfriend!'

You sighed. 'You idiot. I hate you when you're drunk. We broke up 3 years ago on my birthday and I cried the whole night'

'Why did you cry, Dahye?'

'Would you cry if Jonghyun broke up with you?'

Nari stopped swaying and looked at you. The lights turned green and you began driving again. Your best friend was eerily quiet beside you. 

'Nari?'

Nari started crying and howling. 'Will Jonghyun break up with me?'

You groaned again. 'No, he won't. Now stop crying, you silly pabo'

'But how do you know?! How do you know?!'

'Because he loves you, stupid'

Nari was usually this dumb but when she was drunk, it felt right to call her an idiot. 

'But Yukwon loved you so why did he leave you?'

'Beats me. Nari, I don't want to talk about this anymore-'

'Yukwon, you bad guy. Why did you do this to my beautiful Dahye?'

'Nari, I'm fine'

'No! You still love him...' Nari stopped crying. 'You look at your photobook and start crying, Dahye. It makes me sad to see you hurting because of him. But you love him and I can't kill the man you love, even though I want to'

'Nari-'

'If Jonghyun breaks up with me, you can't kill him for me because killing the man I love is like killing me and if you kill me, you'll have no best  friend'

You chuckled. 'So will you kill Yukwon?'

Nari shook her head a little too enthusiastically as you pulled into the apartment car park. 

'Never ever. You still love him and I can't kill my best friend'

'But I'm not Yukwon'

Nari looked at you and jabbed your chest where your heart was. 'But Yukwon's in there, isn't he?'

You stared at your best friend. She might be a complete nutter when drunk but what she said had meaning behind it and it was true. 

'Yeah...' you smiled sadly, thinking back to Jieun. 'But I'll never take him back'

Nari got out of the car and you followed, wanting to make sure she didn't do anything stupid. As you stood in the elevator in silence, your best friend suddenly seemed to have sobered up. She said one final thing in her most serious voice.

'You'll take him back eventually, Dahye. For Yukwon, you'll do anything'

You laughed. As if. Why would I do anything for that douschebag?

But deep down, you knew your best friend was right. You had given away your life to Yukwon back when you were still kids playing in the sand pits and nothing would ever change that.