The Big ed Peabrain

Lost in Love

'So you're originally from Tokyo? How did you end up in Seoul?'

Ayumi nodded as she set down your iced macchiato in front of you. She had bought three- for Soo Hyun, you and herself and you were taking a well deserved lunch break in the staff coffee room. 

'I met Petey at a party in Harajuku. I was a stylist for one of the large and well known stores there so I was invited too. He was writing some article on J-Pop at the time as the Music Editor for the US version of our magazine and I got talking to him and we kept in touch. Then when he moved here and was made Editor-in-Chief and the position for Fashion Editor came up, he called me and I accepted.'

'Are you... Korean?'

'Hardly. I think my great grandma might be like an 18th part Korean or something but that's probably me bullting,' Ayumi laughed

'So how did you communicate?'

'It was hard at first, I'll admit that. My English was so so since Harajuku is a tourist attraction and I learnt English in middle school and high school in Japan. I guess that's how I managed to strike up conversation with Peter. When I found out I was coming here, I made sure to learn the basics and I listen to a ton of Kpop. Oh you would not believe how much Superjunior I had to listen to. Honestly, name me any song and I'll recite the whole thing like the 'Hail Mary'. But yeah, the rest of the Korean was picked up along the way. Even now, I'm a bit shaky.'

'You sound fine to me, Ayumi. Oh, how old are you?'

'I turned 23 last month. You must be 22, right?'

You nodded. 'Um, Ayumi... How did you work up to being a Fashion Editor in the space of a year? It's only been a year since you graduated...'

'Oh no silly. I dropped out of university in my first term and just got a job. It was risky but hey, it's got me to where I am.'

'That's really brave, I don't know if I could have done that. I mean, I've always wanted a styling job since I was about 4 years old but I'd never have the guts to quit university'

Ayumi smiled. 'If you think I'm brave, you should listen to Kwonchan's story. His is incredible, honestly.'

'I hope this Kwonchan arrives soon. What's he like?'

'He seems a bit cold but he's very good-looking, Dahye. Don't worry, you'll warm up to him in no time. Oh but he's got a girlfriend, I think... Though I've never seen her and he's never spoken about her before. Oh and he's a Busan boy! I heard he moved to Seoul a while ago though so I guess that's why the satoori accent is gone.'

'Is he older than you?' 

Ayumi shook her head. 'He's probably just a bit older than you. He's definitely younger than me.' 

 

Suddenly the coffee room began to rapidly fill up as other workers flooded in wanting their caffeine fix. Ayumi spotted Soo Hyun and called him over.

'Ice macchiato, the way you like it. It's all yours, babe' 

'Thanks a bunch Ayumi. What's with the babe? Since when did we call each other nicknames? Especially ones so... informal... Are you trying to get on my good side for taking my assistant?' 

Ayumi acted indignantly. 'She came willingly. No one wants to sit at a computer checking twitter all day' 

You bowed your head. 'I'm sorry.' 

Soo Hyun smiled. 'It's alright. Peter's getting me some interns to try out and then I'll pick an assistant from them.' 

'Then what are you complaining for?!' 

'You stole the assistant that was supposed to start today. I don't get my interns until next week!' 

'Oh grow a pair of balls and man up.' 

'Ayumi. Remind me why I'm friends with you again?' 

'I lent you money to pay for the company car's damage when you drove it into a tree on Jeju Island. That's why. Not to mention I also saved your from Peter.' 

You giggled at how blunt and witty your mentor was. Soo Hyun looked sheepish.

'It was a rhetorical question but erm, thanks for that.' 

 

You felt a tap on your shoulder as you carried on sipping your drink and you turned to find Jieun from earlier, standing behind you.

'Dahye, right?' 

'Yes, that's me. Jieun? Are you okay?' 

Jieun nodded. You stared at her face since there was nowhere else to look. Her s were right in your eyeline and by god, they were distracting.

'Do you mind holding my bag while I just run to the bathroom? I want to check my make up before I meet my boyfriend.' 

'Sure thing, take your time.' 

Jieun handed you her phone too. Hanging from it was a fluffy phone charm. You frowned a little. It's like the one I used to have until I threw it out.

'Just in case he calls, can you pick up and tell him I'm just in the bathroom?' 

'Of course. How do I know who he is?' 

Jieun smiled. 'Oh you'll know when you see the caller ID. Don't worry... Oh and thanks!'

She rushed off to the bathroom with her make up pouch in her hand. Ayumi whispered into your ear in a hushed voice.

'Her are going to pop out of that blouse anytime now, don't you think? Not a good look in Ayumi's books. iness is just so 2001.' 

You laughed but felt guilty for judging Jieun just on her appearance. Ayumi and Soo Hyun carried on chatting whilst you waited for Jieun to return from beautifying herself. It occured to you that Ayumi and Soo Hyun were probably really close friends by the way Ayumi was even more animated than usual around her. You saw the lady named Chaerin from earlier talking to a few other female colleague who all looked equally as fierce and business like. You were glad your colleague was the unusual Ayumi. It meant that work would be colorful. Even Soo Hyun was wearing a suit, despite the fact that his job was probably the one that least required it. Sitting at a laptop all day? No thanks.

 

It had been 5 minutes of observing when Jieun's phone began to ring. You sprung to life and the screen lit up. You looked at the caller display and stopped dead in your tracks.

What the is this. 

On the screen was the caller ID: Yukwonnie <3

Does God like to play these ing games with me?

The caller photo was a photo of Jieun and Yukwon on a beach. Jieun was wearing a skimpy bikini and Yukwon was wearing a pair of swimming shorts you noticed were the ones you had bought him, 3 years ago.

Wow. Evidently yes. God does like to play these games with me. Was I a serial killer in my past life or something?

It was like everything had come to a standstill. Jieun's dating Yukwon? After 3 years of blood, sweat and tears, nnot even knowing if he was dead or alive, it turned out he was in Seoul having the time of his life dating a big ed peabrain. You forgot that the ringtone was still playing until Ayumi jabbed you in your ribs.

'Hey, Dahye. Are you not going to pick up?'

You didn't move and you didn't press any buttons. Heck you didn't even know why you were still holding the damn thing when every cell in your body was telling you to throw it out of the 6th floor window. The ringtone carried on playing.

Ayumi looked up at the door to where everyone had focused their attention. Someone important has just come in.

'Kwonchan! Bloody hell, it's about time! Come meet our new assistant!' 

'Kwonchan' ignored Ayumi and instead began walking up to you. You lowered your head so your hair covered your face. This was going to be awkward as hell, you could feel it.

'Yah! Kwonchan! Kim Yukwon!' 

You turned around, eyes still on the phone that was ringing non-stop and you felt a heavy presence standing in front of you. You knew who it was. This Kwonchan was Yukwon. You just didn't want to admit that it was him.

'Hey jagiya...'

Even his voice is still the same. Curse you, Kim Yukwon.

He rushed his fingers gently against your cheek. God. You wanted to savour this eeling of being touched by him again but you got a hold of yourself. He wasn't worth those tears and he certainly wasn't worth you getting your hopes up for. Not now that you knew he was taken.

'Why aren't you picking up your phone, jagi-'

'In case you don't remember, Yukwon, I'm not your girlfriend anymore and I haven't been for the past 3 years.' 

You looked up and Yukwon took a step back in shock. You willed yourself to not burst into tears on your first day of work. A part of you wanted to gauge his eyes out with your chopsticks but another part of you wanted to hug him and kiss him and never let him go.

Yukwon stared at you.

'... Dahye, is that you?' 

You laughed. 'What does it matter? You don't care about me or how I feel, remember? Do you remember saying those things to me? And leaving me on my birthday without saying anything? Do you remember all that?'

'Dahye, it was wrong of me to tell you that. I-' 

'Just ing shut up. That's the least you can do' You threw Jieun's bag onto the table. Ayumi stood up and looked from her partner to her assistant.

'What's going on?' she whispered

Soo Hyun took her arm and yanked her back down. 'Don't. Now's not the time.'

'Dahye, I-' Yukwon began. You glared at him. It was your turn to be the bad guy.

'Save it.' You gave him Jieun's phone. 'Take all your stupid girlfriend's dumb crap and go yourselves silly. I'm leaving.' 

 

 



I probably should have told you that with this fic, I'm not restricting myself with swearing. I swear a lot in real life (not proud of it, okay? I'm sorry) and it was kinda restricting to not swear but find other curse words for the That Girl, That Boy series since I know there are a load of young readers and a lot of them don't speak English as a first language.

So hey, beware. 

There is swearing in this story. Don't tell mummy.