The Best Job Possible

Lost in Love

'Welcome Miss An. Welcome Miss Jung. Welcome to i-Magazine Korea's headquarters. You can call me either boss or Peter, I don't mind'

You nodded as did the said Miss Jung. You had arrived to your first day of work wearing skin tight black skinny jeans and a large fluffy sweater. 'Miss Jung' was wearing almost the complete opposite dressed in a pink peplum skirt and a chiffon blouse that really accentuated her immensely large s. Your boss was an Australian man of mixed Korean heritage according to your research. He looked like what would be the lovechild of actors Julien Kang and Daniel Choi, just not as muscular or good looking. He was an eloquent speaker with glasses that made him look rather dashing. He spoke Korean fluently with perfect pronounciation and he was originally based in New York as the Music Editor for i-Magazine US. He had been moved over to take the position as Editor-in-Chief of the Korean counterpart as soon as news that he was half Korean broke out among the offices.

'You, Miss Jung, will follow my lovely friend Chaerin here. She'll be in charge of you as you're working in the Press and Public Relations department, if I'm not mistaken?'

'Miss Jung' nodded and the lady named Chaerin took her arm.

'Oh wait, Miss Jung!' your boss called out after her, 'May I know your first name?'

'It's Jieun, boss. Jung Jieun'

'Pleasure to be working with you, Jieun-ssi.' He turned to you. 'And you, Miss An?'

'An Dahye, boss.'

'An Dahye. Right. Perfect. Would you follow me please, Dahye-ssi?'

You followed him and stepped into the glossy, glass elevator.

 

'I just need to check on our Fashion Editor. She's a strange character but I'm sure you'll get on well with her'

He took you to the third floor where you were met by a young and quirky girl with a camera around her neck, bobbypins in and an array of ties in her hand. Upon your arrival, she almost flew across the room to turn off her music player that had been blasting Japanese Electro-pop at full volume.

'Petey! Hey! What brings you to my department?'

'Hello Ayumi, how's the shoot prep going? I just wanted to check up on you. Not deaf yet?'

The girl chuckled. 'It's alright I suppose. What's-his-face still hasn't turned up, that cheeky monkey.'

'That's typical of him, you know that. He's probably down in the studio or the PR showroom so I'll send someone to get him.'

'Make it quick. I have no idea which tie to choose.' She turned to look at you and held out her hand.

'Which tie do you think...' She pointed to the mannequin in the far corner. '...Goes with that outfit?'

You looked at your boss, seeking permission to answer and he nodded. You took the 5 ties that stood out to you the most and walked over to the mannequin. You felt the fabric of the jacket, carefully the lapels. Your boss and Ayumi watched in amazement as you closed your eyes and just felt the textures of the material. You were picturing the clothes in your mind rather than just seeing them right in front of you for real.

'This one' you said, handing a quilted, mauve colored tie to Ayumi.

'This one? Really? I was thinking this one...' she said, holding up a canary yellow silk tie

You shook your head and bit your lip. Your boss folded his arms, as did Ayumi. She was used to having her partner disagree with her ideas but this was an outsider. She needed to know why.

'Waeyo?' she asked.

'The colors harmonise beter together and photographically, it will look a lot more finished and pieced together... Oh but that's only my opinion of course.'

'You sure had an interesting technique of chooing the tie, Dahye-ssi'

'It's how I choose all my clothes...'

'It's so cool!' said Ayumi, jumping up and down. 'Are you here to help me on internship?!'

You shook your head. 'I'm actually working as the new assistant in the Social Media department.'

Ayumi looked at Peter. 

'Oh no, Ayumi. I know that look...'

'Peter! Please please please please let me have her! She's so perfect for me! Oh please!'

'Ayumi, she's Soo Hyun's new assistant and you know full well how run down he is. He's quite literally drowing in emails and tweets on top of trying to answer comments and questions on Youtube and on our magazine's blog- plus he's completely redesigning the website! Dahye-ssi is like a heaven sent from above for him.'

Ayumi pouted. 'Peter, I need someone too! Kwonchan is never here! She began walking away in a strop and your boss sighed.

'I really hate it when she pulls a hissy fit and then starts speaking Japanese. She can be a right royal pain in the .'

You laughed softly. In all honesty, you were desperate to be Ayumi's assistant. That was the job you had your sights on in the first place anyway. Ayumi came stomping back with 2 laptops and an iPad. 

'Here. Give these to Soo Hyun and tell him he now owes me 6 big favours. In fact no, make it 7... And I want an iced macchiato at lunch!'

'Hey, Ayumi, wait just a moment. You really want Dahye-ssi?'

She nodded.

'Then Dahye-ssi, do you want to work with Ayumi as her assistant stylist? In this department, there are two Fashion Editors, Ayumi-'

'And Kwonchan!' 

'I'd... I'd love to. Really. Wow... Really?' you stammered

Ayumi's face lit up and she ran and hugged you.

'Yay! You're my new assistant! Dahye, huh? What a wicked name! Sugoi kawaii!'

Peter sighed. 'I'll make the call to Soo Hyun and break it to the poor soul.'

Ayumi began running around the room, showing you the wardrobe and the mannequins and the offices. She showed you the mood boards and the kitchen and the bathroom. Peter called out for her.

'Hey, Ayumi! Soo Hyun's on line 5 for you!'

'Ne!'

Ayumi hit a button of the department telophone and a guy spoke, his voice echoing around the large open plan room.

'It's me. Ayumi, you've stolen my assistant, you greedy pig.'

'So?'

'So I declare all the favours I owe you nullified!... And you have to buy me ice macchiato for a month, okay? Aish... I really hate you sometimes. You don't know how much I need help!'

Ayumi laughed. 'Yes, Soo Hyun, I'm sorry. Bye bye now! Better get back to working on those emails now, hadn't you? Have fun!'

You heard the man named Soo Hyun groan. You decided you would have to apologise to him later at lunch time. Your boss came up to you for one last time.

'You're sure you want this, Dahye-ssi? You want this job? Soo Hyun would be more than willing to take you on'

You nodded. 'Thank you so much for this, boss. I won't let you down!'

'Good luck, Dahye-ssi. You'll need it around that one. Ayumi's a bit of a nutter'

'Yah! Peter! Don't spread rumours about me! And get Kwonchan up here! Threaten to fire him if he doesn't come quickly!'

'He said he'll be here around lunch time and that you'll just have to wait... Shall I tell him about the new assistant?'

'No no no no! Let's keep it a surprise, okay? Oh Dahye, you'll like Kwonchan. He's really nice!'

'Araso, as you wish, Ayumi.'