Graduation Day

Lost in Love

Bleep bleep. Bleep bleep.

Your best friend, Nari, crawled into your room. It was early in morning but you had woken up late. Most of the girls you were friends with were dressed and made up by now because today was an important day. Today was graduation day.

'Hey Dahye, you don't happen to have any tablets, do you?'

'Tablets? What for? Are you planning on committing suicide?'

'Haha, very funny, Dahye. No, my stomach is just hurting like a .'

You threw a packet of paracetamol. Nari caught it then keeled over, clutching her stomach.

'Argh! Damn these cursed period pains!'

You chuckled. 'I hope you're not planning on wearing that white dress then if you're leaking everywhere like the red sea down there'

Nari looked at you with a horrifired expression. 'Dahye! That's disgusting! Eww!'

You simply shrugged. Your best friend left your room to take a shower and freshen up. Her parents were going to take lots of photos of her and her boyfriend together. Her boyfriend's parents would also take lots of photos of her and her boyfriend together. She had to look good. You on the other hand, had no one to take photos with. Sure, your parents would come but they would have to find their daughter without a man.

Glancing around, you made sure Nari was nowhere to be seen as you tiptoed into the tiny living room and knelt down, taking your mini safe out from under the sofa. Both you and Nari had your individual safes and what you kept in there was private. These were the only secrets you kept from each other. You typed in your combination lock.

9...7...5...2

The safe door opened. You still didn't take anything out until you heard Nari yell 'Hey! I'm Mr Simple!' in the shower. You laughed a little and rolled your eyes at your best friend.

 

Reaching into your safe, you brought out a photo album. Sighing, you lightly the edges. The corners were do-eared from being handles so often and there were furry spots of the cover from where all the tears had fallen. 

Be brave, Dahye. Open it. It's just him.

You flipped open the first page and read the label.

Dahye at 12 months and Yukwon at 16 months

We were really cute babies back then, weren't we?

You turned the page,

Dahye and Yukwon at Yukwon's 3rd birthday party.

You smiled as you saw the boy in the picture with his arm around the girl. He wore a prince outfit and she wore a princess dress.

I still remember that dress.

You turned the next page.

Dahye and Yukwon as sheep

Our nursery nativity play

You turned the next page

Dahye and Yukwon at the petting zoo

You chuckled. The boy was being bitten by a goose and the girl was smiling for the camera, not realising. 

We were 8 then.

You turned the next page.

Dahye and Yukwon on the first day of high school

I remember walking in, hand in hand, and being ecstatic to find we were in the same class- Yukwon and I

You turned the page agan.

Dahye and Yukwon at their first school dance

A wave of emotions hit you. You felt your lower lip begin to shake.

Dahye and Yukwonnie- our first date~

Bang.

Dahye and Yukwonnie- couple outfits~

Again.

Dahye and Yukwonnie- prom!~

You began to cry but you carried on flicking through the pages, faster and faster.

Dahye and Yukwonnie- school trip to Japan!~

Dahye and Yukwonnie- COUPLE SELCA!~

Dahye and Yukwonnie- date at Lotte World!~

Dahye and Yukwon- first night tongether kekeke~

You screamed and slammed the book shut, throwing it across the room. Pages fluttered around like butterflies in the air. You squeezed your eyes shut, not wanting to look at them and you brought yourself into a ball. Nari ran in wearing just her underwear, a bathrobe and a towel on her head.

'Dahye?! Are you alright?!'

She picked up one of the loose pages. It was a picture of you and Yukwon posing together in a photobooth. Underneath was a label written in Yukwon's scrawny handwriting. 

Dahye, I love you! -Yukwonnie

Nari bent down and picked up the loose sheets, slotting them back into the book. She looked at you not so much in pity, but more in an understanding way.

'It's today, isn't it?'

You nodded, not bringing your head out of the ball you had built around yourself.

'H-How did you know?'

Nari sighed and crouched down beside you, holding you in her arms and your hair.

'It's been 3 years since you last saw him right?'

You nodded.

'It's also been 3 years since you went crazy'