The Exchange of Friendship for Love

All My Heart~

 

“I can’t believe it. It makes me so angry! Sungmin wants to give him a damn? Well he must pass through me first! Donghae did not do anything to him! It’s not right to get him beat up like that! Dang it!” I burst out.

“Hey, eeeeasy there oppa! I’m sure he has good reason – “

“Even if he has a good reason, it’s still not right to treat a new student like that!”

“Maybe because he’s jealous of him. Jessica likes Donghae oppa, right?”

“Yes. And Sungmin hates him because he is popular now in school and his rank is getting lower.”

“Ooooh. Well, what would you do?”

“I’m gonna give him a taste of his own ing medicine.”

At school, during the time before the flag ceremony, Donghae has been awfully quiet. Darn, it’s really not good to see a bubbly person turn like this.

“Hey, Lee Donghae. Are you alright?” I ask.

A slight pause.

“Huh?”

“I asked if you are alright.”

He was distracted. This morning, it’s like he’s always thinking something deep.

“Oh. Y-yeah.”

No. he’s definitely not.

I stood up and grabbed his hand towards the exit of the room.

“Hyung, what is it?”

We were in front of the classroom, and the hallway was empty.

I touch his cheek. “Tell me. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

I slap his face lightly.

“Don’t lie to me. You can tell me – “

“Everything!”

Light tears stat to fall down his cheeks.

“I feel unwelcome here. I feel that I don’t belong. Last Friday, a group of students beat me up for no reason at all. I’ve been receiving messages on my phone saying bad things. Like ‘you should have not joined this school’ and, and ‘does it feel good to be surrounded by girls?’. And just this morning, my textbooks are missing. Then I found it in my locker, and some of the pages are torn. And vandalized with curses.”

I stare at him, not sure of what to say.

“What do you think about that?”

“I think I know who did this.” I blurted out.

“Does it matter at all? They’re not gonna stop until I get out of this place.”

“of course, it matters! It may not matter to you, but it does to me!”

I don’t have any idea why I said that, maybe it was what I was feeling. Truly feeling.

He blushed hard.

“Look. It’s Sungmin. He’s been greatly envious of you.”

“What?” he stares at me with disbelief.

“Yes. I can’t believe it either. Shimako told me. She said that Sungmin told Jessica and Jessica told her. Then she told me. I know it’s crap, but it’s true.”

“What should we do?”

“Nothing. Nothing yet. Until we confirm it’s true.”

“Okay.” He nodds.

“Just don’t bump into anyone, don’t pick any fights. Understood?”

“Yes.” He nodds like a child being taught not to get out of the house.

I want to say that I’m already in love with him, that I don’t want him being hurt, that I’ll do anything to protect him, but I don’t think it’s the right time.

“You’re my friend. You can tell me anything.” I stare into his cold eyes.

“Just…a friend?”

I look away. “Let’s go inside. The bell’s gonna ring soon.”

During lunch, I went out to see Shimako. I told Donghae not to come, if he doesn’t want to be in the middle of the stampede.

I talked to Jessica and she told me it was true. Sungmin told her everything. But because Jessica loves Donghae, she told Shimako. My speculations are right. He’s just so damn jealous.

When I got back, I saw Donghae being harrassed again in an unkown part of the school. No students go there, so it’s perfect for bullying.

I decided not to show myself and plunge into action yet. Maybe they just want to play…or something…

Maybe Sungmin thinks this is a good time to bully him because I’m not around.

He took advantage of my absence.

“Donghae…Donghae…Donghae. What did I tell you? You should not have come to this school.” Sungmin says.

“Please…I have not done anything bad to you…” Donghae pleads.

“Not to us, but to Sungmin! Ever since you came, Jessica babbled nothing but you! Donghae here, Donghae there! It’s crap!” one of his right hands said.

“And you took my girls away from me. You don’t know how much Jessica means to me, right?” Sungmin says.

“I don’t even know that Jessica! All I know was that she was Shimako’s best friend! That’s all! We don’t have any relationship or what you think!” Donghae finally finds the courage to speak.

“That’s right, but it’s excruciating. She talks about you all the time. And if you are in my shoes, what would you feel?”

“I – I don’t know…didn’t you two break up already? So what’s the point being jealous of me?!”

Dang it! Donghae, you just made Sungmin’s blood boil harder on you! You should have not said that!

A strong expression of hate brushes on Sungmin’s face.

“That’s it.” Sungmin says, putting an end to the commotion.

And a beginning to an action.

Two of his people takes Donghae by the arm.

“Sungmin!” I got out and shout at him.

I went nearer. “Release him.” I whisper to the two bullies.

“Eunhyuk, stay out of this if you value our friendship.” He says.

“I don’t want to have a bully friend.”

“Eunhyuk please. We’ve known each other since childhood, and now you’re gonna value this trespasser more than me?!”

“You don’t get it. Donghae isn’t a trespasser. He’s not done you any harm. And Jessica is simply crushing on him. You’re overreacting! Stop this crap or else I will broadcast your true colors into the other building. You know that Shimako’s powerful there and she’s very famous. One statement of hers would mean the truth and it will be believed by all. One statement could ruin you.”

A long pause.

“This won’t be the end, Lee Donghae!” he walks away, directly followed by his servants, knowing that I mean what I say. And Shimako’s power. He valued his fans that much.

I lift Donghae back to the chair.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes…thank you!” he hugs me with joy.

When he released me, I stare at him again.

“I love you, hyung.” He stares at me also.

A long, dramatic moment.

I wanted to kiss him now, and do what he wanted to do last Saturday. But we can’t. not right now.

“I know. I…love you too.” Then I force his lips open and kissed him.

I held his cheek and we kissed the french way.