4

Free Me From This Life

 

            EunNeul gasped and dropped the papers in her hands. I stood watching as she fell to her knees to pick them up. I didn’t bother to help her and looking at her was now no different than looking at my own brother. I had no feelings attached to her other than doubt.
            "If I hear anything regarding what my brother tells you anywhere other than his mouth, I'll know who to go to," I stepped over her and opened the door," See you at our next fanmeet."

            I scoffed and shut the door behind me. I stormed off of the campus and into my car where my phone waited with five unheard messages.
            "I'm on my ing way." I growled as I punched in the message and hit send.
~*~
            "You're late."

            "About time, superstar."

            "As always, fashionably late."

            The side comments were the last thing I needed as my manager took me to the side and hit the back of my head, "Where the hell were you? An hour late, Kai? Really?"

            I rolled my eyed and pushed passed him, "I just got up late alright." I grumbled as the make up team pulled me towards the dressing rooms. 

            I sat in the chair staring at my reflection when a sharp pain started to throb at the side of my head. I pulled out a few pills from my pocket and popped them in. 

           "Water!" I demanded and soon enough a water bottle was handed to me. My demands were always fulfilled faster than I could blink. At times it was nice but other times I wished that people wouldn't be so easy as to give me what I want.

         "Are you ready?" A nervous assistant knocked on the door when I turned back to look at her, "Yeah."

           I followed her out and there stood eleven other men ready to claw at my throat. Their glares centered on me, I knew who this photoshoot was going to center on.

           I smirked at them and started to laugh, "How sweet. You waited for me."

           They all turned around and went their separate ways ignoring my sarcastic comment. I rolled my own eyes and walked over to one of the mirrors to look over myself one last time when someone came up behind me.

          "What's going on with you?" I turned around to face Luhan and pulled him to my side, "Me? There is nothing wrong with me? I'm just peachy!" 

          "Jong In...please don't lie to me." he pleaded in a whisper and I could only sigh, "I'm fine."

~*~

          It was getting late and jongmin was not out yet from school. His sessions with EunNeul were running later than I would've liked and I was just about to barge into the school building when I saw them coming out. EunNeul was leading JongMin and both were smiling and laughing. I tensed up and called out my brother's name, "JongMin!"

          Both looked up, surprised when shockingly JongMin hugged EunNeul goodbye. A jolt inside my stomach caused me to hug it tight when I met eyes with EunNeul. She gave a slight smile before going back into the school. I watched her fleeting figure not noticing JongMin until he called for me.

         "Hyung! Wow I get picked up three times in one week. Is it a slow week or am I just special?"

          I opened his door and shook my head, "You're just special, now come on, get it! I'm hungry!"
~*~ 
          At the restaurant, we sat together in silence. JongMin attacked his food like it was nothing and had no time to open his mouth to talk as each time it opened it was filled with more food. His plate was coming to close to being empty, I chuckled and pushed my plate to him, "Slow down! It's not going anywhere!"

         He looked up with his mouth full and sauce dripping from the sides. I threw him a napkin and placed my hands in the table, “Sorry. I’m just so hungry.” He mumbled and sipped his drink, letting the food go down.

         I placed my hands on the table and took the opportunity to ask, “So how is your counseling with EunNeul shi? Good? She’s not trying to get too much personal information right?”

         He wiped his face clean and shrugged, "It was okay I guess. She mostly talked about herself and stuff. She barely asked about me and when she did it was just about what my favorite things were.”

         I tapped my fingers against my cup, "That's it? Humph, so what did you learn about her?" I smiled at him hoping he'd give in when he started, "She told me that she just moved here from the US and that she's been having a hard time getting used to the new culture. I told her I'm having a hard time already so she isn't alone."

        I stopped what I was doing and glanced up at my brother. His face was grim as he stabbed away at the food in front of him with more force than necessary.

       "What do you mean you're having a hard time?" I tilted my head to the side and wanted to reach out and grasp his shoulder, but I refrained from doing so when he said, "You know...you...dad...I feel alone sometimes. Like I have no one really there for me."

       "I'm here now." I whispered.

        He gave a dry laugh as if in pain and muttered, "Yeah now, but for how long?"

        I had no reply, knowing well enough that I wasn’t always going to be there when he needed me.

~*~

        I sat in my car waiting by the gates of the school for her. I wanted to catch her before she made her way home so we could discuss what JongMin was talking about. What did he mean we felt alone? The clock was about to hit six when finally EunNeul emerged with papers in one hand and a key in the other. I got out of my car that was parked a few spaces away from hers and followed her.

       "Aww shoot!" she dropped her keys and a few papers when I ran to help her, "Let me help you."

        She jumped at the sound of my voice and grasped her chest, "Jong in shi? Aish, you scared me! What are you doing here? JongMin isn't with me today."

         I placed the papers in a neat pile and handed them to her along with her keys, "I came to talk to you, actually."

        She opened the door to her car and scoffed, "if you are here to yell at me some more, I suggest you lea-"

        "No I just want to talk...in private."

        EunNeul looKed up at me and shook her head, "About what?"

        "I just need you to tell me about what you and JongMin have been discussing.” I pleaded but she looked at me in disbelief and pushed me to the side, “I already told you, what we talk about is between us and no one else.”

        “Please, I just need to know what he’s going through,” I followed her around her car when she turned to me and poked my chest, “Why are you asking me? You should be asking your brother.”

         EunNeul opened the door to her car and was about to close it as she got it when I held it in place, “At least, come with me to dinner,” The words came out before I could process what I was thinking.

         She looked up with a blank look on her face, “Why would I do that?”

          I thought it over and with a growing smirk on my face I leaned down so our faces were at eye level and whispered close to her lips, "Aren’t you my fan? Come on, your celebrity crush is offering you a date…Are you really going to refuse me?”

I pulled back a bit and raised a brow at her. I could see she wanted to come with me because she bit her lower lip and her eyes glanced back in forth contemplating.

“What do you say?” 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apologies if it's boring you right now...I'll try to make things interesting soon