17

Free Me From This Life

 

            He stood in front of me decked out from head to toe in camo gear. His head shaven and back to the normal black, JoonMyun looked like any other Korean man joining the military. Gone was the smile that had adorned his face for so long making him the guardian that he was to us members. He looked much older than he actually was, the past few months stress adding on a couple years to his delicate face. I patted his shoulder without a word, but gave an assuring smile when he looked up at me, “The sooner you start the sooner you get out, remember that.”

            His eyes turned to small crescents when he scoffed at me and shook his head, “Giving advice to your hyung now?”

            I shrugged teasingly. The atmosphere was awkward given the situation. Long time friends, separated by materialistic things, split by a contract, with one leaving for the army. The complexity of it, came out simply with small forced smiles and awkward small talk as I walked with him to the base after parking my car.

            It was just the two of us. No one but his family and I knew of his sudden decision to enlist early. He was taking responsibility, being the leader he is and was, covering up the tracks of his reckless dongsaengs. Time for him to leave crept up on us as we reached the front entrance. He set his bag down beside his laced up boots and straightened up with his head turned to the base, “I can finally say goodbye to Suho.”

            In some ways, I knew what he meant. Our stage names nothing but an added mask to our public’s persona. The last piece of the stage costume shed, as the final curtain was called. Time after the army could do that to people. Matured, scarred, and finally returned to our civilian status. We’re reminded that we are no longer idols, but soldiers just like the rest of the male population. JoonMyun knew that once his time in the army was over, he could return to somewhat of a normal life. In a span of two years, he could come back home to an ordinariness of the life before an idol, a life he could enjoy with family and friends doing things he loved away from the watchful eye of the judgmental public.

            I shoved my hands in my jacket pocket and looked down at our feet, “I wish I could forget my name.”

            Two pairs of hands landed on my shoulders, giving it squeeze and a slight shake. JoonMyun looked at me with a comforting smile that eased the situation, something he was always good at doing.

            “It’s not a matter of forgetting…just moving on from it.” He patted my back like a father would his son before pulling me in for a hug. A hug I hadn’t had in a long time. Both hands grasped my back as his face was buried in my shoulder but a brotherly hug of sorts. Both of us holding onto each other, both of us close to breaking down, “Goodbye Kai.”

            My hands tightened on his uniform, tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn’t help but wail as he patted my back while I continued to cry, “I’m going to miss you hyung.”

            He dropped his hands from my back and I pulled away trying to keep myself together, “I’m going to miss you too, Jong In.”

            I nodded my head and wiped the stray tears that stuck to my cheek. JoonMyun picked up his bag and straightened up, his right hand touching his temple was his only goodbye as he entered the base without looking back.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Short update

The next update will be the last I promise ^^

Thank you for reading this story, it's been fun writing

and the few  comments I get are nice to read. 

 

Kai photo Kai18.gif