1

Free Me From This Life

 

There I sat, on top of a pedestal for the rich and famous. All eyes were on us. With eleven other bodies beside me, the attention was equally divided and I was free to lose the fake smile and look out into the crowd for anything interesting. Girls cried.Girls screamed.Others fanned themselves at our mere presence.

I scoffed inwardly and waved a hand, causing a loud eruption of cheers and swoons that numbed my eardrums. The attention overbearing as the bright lights shined down on our faces. My only distraction from the thousands of eyes on me was the amusement I got from watching our overreacting crowd of crazed fans.

The introductions started, one by one the screams came in waves of loud to louder as each member said their names and gave their short message to the fans. The mic was passed to me and immediately the crowd broke out into loud cheers that made me smile. They were crazy for me.

“Hello, my name is,” the girls shouted even louder. I smirked into the mic and chuckled, “Kai.”

The sound of my name echoing in the large arena drowned out quickly as more cheers and loud screams followed my introduction. I pitied the member after me, knowing that they wouldn’t receive the same loud applause. I was the favorite amongst fans, the numerous signs with my name painted in neon colors proved that.

I handed the mic to the next member and winked at the few fans I made eye contact with.

“Let the fansigning begin!” The MC yelled through the microphone as we took our seats behind the table. I took the pen in front of me and playfully tapped it against my lips, knowing well enough that the fans would appreciate the little fan service. My hunch was right, as fans immediately called my name. I waved at them and threw small hearts I made with my hands. A discreet cough came beside me when I turned sideways to see Kyungsoo rolling his eyes. I slugged my arm around his shoulder, hugging him to my side. My lips close to his ear, “What’s your problem?”

More shouts could be heard as well as the sound of clicking cameras at our little otp interaction. Kyungsoo pushed me off of him and glared at me, “You.”

“Hmph, hyung.”

I pouted cutely only to hear him growl, “Shut up, Jong In. I’m done with you today.”

“Tsk, bastard.” I hissed below my breath when he kicked my seat under the table.

I was about to punch his shoulder when the fans started to come up onto the stage. I straightened up and put on a smile as the first fan made their way to my side of the table, “Hello, what’s your name?”

~*~

The fan signing had reached a slight intermission for us to stand up and stretch. I did just that and walked out to the front of the table stretching my arms up and out letting my short shirt rise up to reveal my toned lower body. The fans' cries were loud enough to know that I had done something right when I reached down to touch my toes. My shirt ‘subtly’ revealing my chest to the awaiting crowd.

“Cover up.” I heard Suho scold as he walked by when I snorted, “As if.”

I looked at him as he rolled his eyes when I stood up straight and spotted something interesting.

Her face appearing and disappearing as she jumped up and down to catch a glimpse of the stage, the girl moved from side to side, up and down, and in between to get a look of us. It was amusing to see her desperation as her turn to see us face to face was only a few minutes away. The girl’s black hair bounced and swayed along with her and stopped as she stopped. I continued to eye her discreetly when I was ushered back to my seat. I sat down as she hurriedly followed the line that now started to move again.

One by one the fans came and went with the same expressions and same words, “Oppa hwaiting, I love you, and you’re so handsome…”

The fansign went on and on but my eyes caught the girl coming closer and closer when finally it was her turn with me. Her frame was small as expected and her long hair reached just above her bosom. I eyed her from head to toe quickly as I smiled up at her and then took her album, “Your name, beautiful?”

I asked with a little more charm than necessary when my eyes met hers to get her name.

In that moment, a small almost unheard click went off inside of my mind sending a shockwave of emotions to the rest of my body. My heartbeat accelerated while goose bumps formed on my covered arms. Blood rushed to my cheeks as her eyes bore onto my face. Her expression unwavering and her cheeks the same color as before, she was unfazed by me but I was completely fazed by her.

In that second, her once ordinary face changed into something spectacular.

“Oh, this album isn’t for me. It’s for my friend. She loves you. Her name is EunNeul.” Her eyes twinkled with joy at the mention of her friend’s name.

I quickly signed the CD, not wanting to waste time with her, “Can’t I know your name too?”

I winked at her but her reaction was not one that I expected. She stepped to the side and shook her head, “I don’t see why you need to know my name.”

“Come now, you’re done.” One of the security guards whisked her away before I could question her further. I reluctantly stared after her, hoping she’d turn around, but she was gone.

“Oppa!” A new excited fan called for me.

I took her album absentmindedly and signed it without much thought, “Thanks for the support, love Kai.”

In my sense of mind, the first thing I thought of was to go after her, which I did. I stood up from the table and headed towards the stairs that led off the stage when a strong hand grasped my arm, “Where the hell do you think you are going?”

My manager hissed with a smile to assure the crowd of our friendly conversation, “The bathroom.” I growled back and released my arm from his grasp.

He watched as I hurriedly ran off the stage with two security guards on my tail. I had no choice but to go the bathroom, while I tried to search the venue for her face again.

I needed a confirmation as to what this feeling inside of me now stirred. My emotions were running wild over a girl that I had just seen for a few seconds. A girl whose face came and left but imprinted an image of beauty in my mind that wasn’t about to leave anytime soon.

I reached the door to the men’s room and my search had turned up empty. I turned to the two bodyguards as they tried to follow me in when I coughed, “I don’t need you two to come and see me piss. Just stand out here.”

I walked into the bathroom and had no intentions of using it. I walked over to the mirrors and looked over myself. Fixing the small hairs that refused to stay in place and adjusted my jacket.

The feeling that the girl had given me came and left almost instantaneously as I looked over myself. Her face no longer in my mind, the remaining image was only of her bouncing hair.

My small obsession of finding her was replaced with question as to what had driven such a thought as to finding her.

Then what?

We exchange names and numbers?

Maybe the thought of her being my only escape from this confined life had driven me to such a crazy idea.

I was only dreaming and those dreams were short lived as a loud knock came at the door, “Sir, you need to go back.”

Back to the world of controlled schedules and a life already set in stone. I had to go back to monotony.

So yes, that girl I saw offered me a sense of something different. A sense of an escape and maybe a sense of feeling what love actually was.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A quick idea that popped into my head a few minutes ago and the words just came out.

Hope you like it, a little angsty haha