A Step Back

TaengSic or NOT!
"Taeyeon?"

Upon hearing her name, she immediately broke away from Jessica and looked around frantically. She saw Krystal walking closer and closer until she was directly in front of her.

Krystal had already changed into normal outift and Taecyeon was in his beach wears. She gave a curious look to Taeyeon and looked at her sister who was tensed up then.

"Why are the both of you hugging?" asked Krystal with her fake tone of curiosity.

"I-I er.. She.. we.." Taeyeon tried to come up with a reason and she dug her fingernails deep into her palms.

"Unnie are you okay?" asked Krystal concernedly and Jessica flinched. She glimpsed at Taeyeon who was a few feet away from her and nodded slowly.

"Whatever it is, I'm glad that you guys can get along now," Krystal gave a warm smile and linked her arm with Taeyeon.

Taeyeon let out a nervous chuckle and she bit her lip as guilt ate her inside out. She thought that Krystal was still unaware of what's going on and was happy that she could get along with Jessica.

"Let's take a walk down the beach unnie!" suggested Krystal cheerfully and Jessica gave a faint smile.

"Shall we?" asked Taecyeon politely and he gave Jessica his arm for support.

Taeyeon eyed him warily but didn't do anything. She checked if Krystal was okay and sighed in relief when she saw the smile plaster on Krystal's face.

***

"I'm so tired already yeonnie.. carry me back," whined Krystal when they were halfway back to their tent.

They had been playing in the water for nearly three hours and all were tired out. Taeyeon gave a small smile and bent down in front of Krystal, she waited for Krystal to hop on before she straightened up again.

Meanwhile, Jessica and Taecyeon were by their side, waiting for Taeyeon to start walking again. Taeyeon noticed the sour look on Jessica and she looked away quickly when Taecyeon followed her gaze.

"I miss being like this. Do you still remember the first time you piggyback me?" asked Krystal cutely.

Taeyeon felt her heart drop and she looked to her side a little. Krystal was playing with her collar and grazing her fingers over Taeyeon's shoulder.

"Yeah. How can i forget about it? it's our first meeting," replied Taeyeon earnestly. She smiled unknowingly as she recalled the day. It wasn't because of the meeting with Krystal, but the later part.

Krystal's voice then rang in her ear which made her almost fall. "Yah be careful! i don't want you to be injured again."

Taeyeon steadied herself and smiled lightly when she saw the concern look on Jessica.

"You haven't said it back to me yeonnie." said Krystal suddenly and Taeyeon frowned as she didn't get it

"Say what?" asked Taeyeon

"I said i love you. So aren't you going to say it back?" asked Krystal. Taeyeon felt turn dry and she was fighting with her inner self.

"Taeyeon?" Krystal called out when Taeyeon stopped walking. Jessica and Taecyeon were in front of them and Krystal jumped down from Taeyeon.

"Are you okay baby?" asked Krystal gently. She cupped Taeyeon's face and stared deeply into Taeyeon's eyes, as if she was trying to find that hint of love.

Taeyeon broke away from the intense gaze and nodded quickly. "I'm okay."

"A penny for your thought?" said Krystal

Taeyeon looked back at Krystal and touched the back of her hands that were on her cheeks. "I'm sorry soojung."

Krystal's eyes widened a little and she put on a smile quickly. "Why darling? Did you do something wrong? like eating my chocolates again?"

Taeyeon grimaced and in a lungful of breath. She saw Jessica looking over nervously while Taecyeon was looking at the waves in the sea, as if he could tell what was going to happen.

"I'm sorry soojung." apologised Taeyeon again. She felt her lips quiver and her knees weak.

"W-why?" asked Krystal in a dry tone. She tried her best to keep the smile on her face but the grim look on Taeyeon was not helping at all.

[ Please don't say it now. I may know about you and unnie but I'm not ready to let go yet, Taeyeon-ah. ] -Krystal

"There's something i need you to know," said Taeyeon and she removed Krystal's hands on her cheeks.

"Tell me then," replied Krystal hastily. She threw a quick look at Jessica who was biting her fingernails and looking at Taeyeon

"I'm in love with someone else."

Krystal's hands left Taeyeon's and a gust of wind blew across their faces. Taeyeon reached out and tucked a strand of hair behind Krystal's ear before she leaned in to kiss on her forehead.

"You're a silly girl. You know that i cheated on you with your own unnie but you kept quiet." said Taeyeon blankly and she kept Krystal's hair.

"Every time I'm with you, i feel guilty because you're not happy at all but you pretend to be happy in front of me," continued Taeyeon and she looked at Krystal absent-mindedly.

Krystal felt as though she was going to choke on Taeyeon's words. She didn't realise that she had been holding her breath in for so long.

"It is time for you to have your own happiness back Soojung. I'm a jerk i know. But i swear that I've loved you before. Before i love your unnie," said Taeyeon straight to the point.

She felt the weight lift off from her shoulders and she pulled her hand back. "I loved you SooJung. You deserve better. I'm sorry."

Taeyeon looked at Krystal heavy-heartedly and was about to turn and walk away when Krystal pulled on her wrist. "No. Don't go."

Right now, Taecyeon was already walking nearer to the water as he didn't want to hear anymore of it. Jessica was still watching them while biting her fingernails. She didn't know what to feel. Should she feel happy that Taeyeon was finally hers or should she feel bad that Krystal got hurt because of her?

"Don't go. I don't know what will happen to me if you go, Taeyeon. Please," said Krystal in her calm voice.

Taeyeon turned back and looked at Krystal apologetically. "I'm sorry Soojung. But, you need to l-let go."

No one spoke for the next few minutes and Taeyeon saw the tears battling in Krystal's eyes. She wanted to wipe away the tears but she knew she shouldn't do it.

"I will. But not now," said Krystal in her shaky voice and she added," stay with me till dad and mum leave. I don't want them to have bad impression on you."

Again, the guilt struck Taeyeon. Why does Krystal have to be so considerate of her well-being?

"If you break up with me now, dad will be angry and let alone you being together with unnie next time. I can tell him that i don't love you anymore that's why i break up with you, so that you can be with unnie without any worry," explained Krystal. Her heart was shattered onto the sand and the wind blew away her broken pieces along with the sand.

"Soojung.." Taeyeon called out softly and she was about to cup Krystal's cheek but Krystal stepped back.

"In front of dad and mum, we are lovers. But behind them, we are just friends, right?" said Krystal and she gave a force smile.

Taeyeon felt extremely sorry and she wanted to beat herself up so badly. She was such a jerk.

"Y-yeah. We are still friends." Taeyeon nodded stiffly and Krystal gave a light knock on Taeyeon's forehead.

Taeyeon looked at her in surprise and Krystal stuck out her tongue,"friends joke around too pabo!"

Krystal let out a soft giggle when Taeyeon pouted and rubbed the spot where she had knocked. "Yah violent jung."

Jessica saw that Krystal was playing around with Taeyeon and she knew something was definitely not right. She could see the sadness behind Krystal's smile and she could hear the sound of the broken heart. But Taeyeon was oblivious to that.

***

"Daddy, mommy!" chirped Krystal when they returned home. Taecyeon had sent them home and left after that. He knew that he should stay away now.

"Did you have fun kids?" asked Mr Jung and he patted Krystal's head.

The trio nodded happily and Krystal hugged Taeyeon around the waist. "We are tired now daddy. Good nights daddy and mommy!"

Mr&Mrs Jung chuckled at the kiddish Krystal and waved them off. Jessica greeted her parents as well before she followed Krystal and Taeyeon into the room.

"I.. shall go for a shower first." said Taeyeon as she could feel the awkwardness. She scolded herself mentally for being a coward who ran away from everything.

The bathroom door clicked and Jessica sat down on the bed quietly. Krystal sat on the floor facing Jessica which made Jessica feel a little uncomfortable

"Unnie." Krystal called out.

Jessica looked down and replied,"yes?"

"Don't you have something to say?" asked Krystal

Jessica bit her fingernails again and looked around the room. She jumped up when Krystal went to sit beside her.

"Unnie, you don't have to feel so awkward around me. We're still sisters. Just to let you know, i don't hate you." said Krystal

Jessica felt Krystal pulling her fingers away from her lips and she looked at Krystal guiltily. "I'm sorry krys.."

Krystal chuckled sadly and said,"what's the point of apologising when what's done is done?"

"I know.. i don't ask for your forgiveness but I'm really sorry.." mumbled Jessica.

"I forgive you unnie. Because you're my unnie. I love Taeyeon but I love you too unnie. Yes, i was angry when i found out about you and taeyeon. But then i saw the smile on the both of you. I felt that i need to do something." said Krystal and she sighed.

"But i didn't know that it will happen so quickly. I was still trying to get ready. I notice the way Taeyeon looks at you, she never looks at me that way before." added Krystal

"I-i.." Jessica tried to say something but Krystal stopped her.

"It isn't entirely your fault, nor is it Taeyeon's fault. Because if i didn't ask Amber to come over that day, she wouldn't tell me all these. I wouldn't check on you guys when Taeyeon left my room for too long and i wouldn't have seen the kiss.." said Krystal and she swallowed her spit.

"It isn't your fault too krys. Don't blame yourself. I don't want to see you like this krys.." said Jessica and she cupped Krystal's cheeks.

"No.. it is my fault. Because i kissed Amber a few weeks ago in the hospital. I was the one who cheated first. I guess it is retribution unnie," chuckled Krystal sadly and she shook her head.

"I know. Amber told me these. But, do you even like her?" asked Jessica

Krystal pondered for awhile and shrugged. "I don't know. I feel something whenever i kiss her. But i feel it stronger when i kiss Taeyeon."

Jessica felt jealous but she hid it well. "You.. perhaps you like her.. but you l-love taeyeon."

Krystal arched an eyebrow and said,"i think so too. But.. taeyeon loves you."

Jessica felt small when Krystal looked at her like that. "I'm sorry krys.. if only i didn't ask her to do housework for me and i wouldn't have fallen for her and i-"

"Unnie.. love is a beautiful thing. If you love her, then love her with all your heart. Don't feel sorry for me. I will get better soon," Krystal cut Jessica off and explained the last time.

She didn't want Jessica and Taeyeon to feel sorry or pity her. She knew that she had to take a step back so that all of them would be happy, eventually.

Jessica was speechless and went dry. She looked at her sister who was putting on a small, sad smile.

"Let's not talk about it anymore if you want me to heal quickly alright unnie?" said Krystal and she smiled wider.

Jessica felt her heart tug and she nodded reluctantly. How can she just let the matter off when her own sister is suffering? But Krystal is suffering because of her!

If guilt was tangible, she would have died from drowning in it.

"I love you krys." said Jessica genuinely

Krystal beamed a smile and said,"i love you too unnie."

***

"What did she say?" asked Taeyeon when Krystal was in the bath.

Jessica told her everything that happened while Taeyeon was away and Taeyeon sighed heavily.

"I'm such a jerk.." murmured Taeyeon

"No one predicted it. Taengoo, i know this is selfish, but love is selfish even though people say it is selfless." said Jessica as she caressed Taeyeon's neck

Taeyeon breathed in slowly and felt relax when Jessica touched her. It was a feeling she always felt when she's with Jessica.

"I love you sooyeon."

Jessica stopped caressing and looked at Taeyeon who had her eyes close. "W-what?"

Taeyeon opened her eyes gradually and said with a smile from the bottom of her heart,"i love you Jessica Jung Soo Yeon."

Jessica was overwhelmed with feelings as that was the first time Taeyeon said those three words. She was elated and she threw her arms around Taeyeon's neck. "I love you too taengoo.."

Taeyeon rubbed Jessica's back and chuckled softly. "Don't cry. If you want to hear the three words, i can always say them for you."

Jessica sniffed and wiped away her trickling tears of joy. She nodded on Taeyeon's shoulder and moved back. "You have to say it to me every hour. So that'd be 24 times a day!"

"What? don't i have to sleep?" asked Taeyeon in bewilderment

"This is an order." stated Jessica firmly and Taeyeon groaned. "Fine fine, general Jung."

"If you fail to do so.. you'll have to.." Jessica paused and asked Taeyeon to go closer.

Taeyeon obliged it and Jessica whispered into her ear," you'll have to clean the whole house and wash every clothes of mine manually."

Taeyeon groaned frustratedly and nodded. "Yes princess."

"Now let's talk about the deal.." said Jessica.

"The deal?" asked Taeyeon

"Yes the deal." repeated Jessica.

---

---

---

TBC