Sorry

An Artist's Heart

 

 

~ Chapter Five ~

 

 

The next morning Miss Kim woke the three of them up bright and early. The majority of them only had six hours of sleep so neither of the sleepy staff wanted to be spoken to at such an hour. But surprisingly, Chinsun got out of her blankets and walked down the latter wearing her pink checkered pajamas. Her hair was a mess with knots and tangles due to the tossing and sleepless night. She put on her slippers while grabbing her brush and hygiene products before walking out with the female teacher. Chanyeol grumbled in his pillow as sleep began to wash over his body once more.

 

Let's go Chanyeol,” Mr. Gim groaned as his morning voice scratched through his ears. Unwillingly, the tall boy got out of his covers reaching for his bag and zipping it open. “Did you sleep well?” the teacher asked as he started changing out of his clothes. Chanyeol only managed to hum as he pulled out a white shirt and jeans. He raised his shirt over his head slipping it off then stuffed it into his bag. His toned chest now exposed in the open, but quickly covered by the clean shirt being draped over his torso. He struggled to take off his sweats, once done, he pulled up his jeans. Going to the edge of his bed, he walked down the stairs and strapped on his shoes.

 

It's cold in here,” Chanyeol shivered, quickly snatching his black jacket and putting it on.

 

It is,” Mr. Gim agreed as he finished changing and putting on his boots. The teacher zipped up his coat while Chanyeol kept it open. “Let's hurry and eat our breakfast,” he told the boy. They walked out of their room and down the hall to the stairs. They made their way down the steps to the first floor where the cafeteria was.

 

The teacher led Chanyeol into the kitchen and served themselves some cereal. They sat at one of the tables and sleepily munched away at their food. A couple minutes later, Miss Kim came marching in with Chinsun shyly following behind.

 

Hello boys!” Miss Kim greeted as she sat herself beside Mr. Gim and ate her own breakfast. Chinsun looked at the empty seat next to Chanyeol and hesitated. Chanyeol took notice of this and observed as the girl questioned herself if she was aloud to sit there or not.

 

Sit,” Chanyeol spoke up as it seemed like Chinsun was about to sit somewhere else. The girl tensed up but quickly bowed and gratefully sat next to him. She kept her head ducked low causing her bangs to cover the obvious bags under her eyes, but her ears were flaming red. She zipped up the front of her black jacket and started eating the cereal before her. They all sat in the silence of the morning and ate their food. The sun shining through the windows being the only source of light needed.

Miss Kim gulped down the rest of her milk and eyed the three others.

 

Alright, hurry up and finish your food so we can start organizing the buffet for the students!” she announced as she started stacking their bowls. Mr. Gim got up from his chair and stretched his back.

 

I'm ready,” he declared, following behind Miss Kim. Chinsun and Chanyeol walked over to the buffet table and listened as Miss Kim gave each one of them their instructions. Chanyeol lazily stood behind the meat section while Mr. Gim stood at the other end where the fruits were. Chinsun was ordered to clean up after the students once everyone arrived.

 

As students started walking in, Chanyeol searched for his two friends. Thankfully it wasn't hard to miss the loud bickering coming his way.

 

I know you stole it! I was right there when you took it!” Kyungsoo snapped as he grabbed a plate and walked in front of Chanyeol.

 

Listen Kyung, I swear, I'm not wearing your underwear,” Jongin smirked as he looked up at Chanyeol. “Why hello there,” he sung as a big grin flew across his face, “having fun?”

 

Lots...” Chanyeol answered sarcastically as he used the clamps to pick up a few sausages and place them in his friends plates.

 

I like your jacket by the way,” Kyungsoo gleamed as he slowly moved over to a new section.

 

Thanks,” Chanyeol smiled as he served more people.

 

Are you coming to the mountain with the rest of us?” Jongin asked as he blocked the way of one of the students.

 

Yeah, but I can't go skiing, I have to make sure no one breaks the rules,” Chanyeol sighed.

 

Aw man that !” Kyungsoo pouted as he walked to Chanyeol's side of the buffet table.

 

At least I'm not going to make a fool of myself like you are,” Chanyeol laughed.

 

Hey!”

 

It's true Kyung,” Jongin chuckled, “you at everything.” Jongin jumped back as he dodged a hit from Kyungsoo.

 

Shut up! This time I'm not going to fall!” Kyungsoo glared at the two of them.

 

Sure, sure,” Jongin grinned as he winked at a girl. “Wow, all of a sudden the girls got a lot hotter,” he mentioned as he eyed the many females walking by.

 

They didn't get hotter, they're just not wearing their uniforms,” Kyungsoo retorted as he raised an eyebrow to add to his point. Jongin didn't necessarily hear what his friend said and slung his arm around a certain busty looking girl with a low shirt. The tanned boy smirked at her as he led her and her friends away from the buffet and to one of the free tables near by. “Damn, that guy...” Kyungsoo muttered as he watched Jongin act like a ladies man. Kyungsoo shook his head and turned to Chanyeol. “We'll see you later then,” he waved.

 

Ciao,” Chanyeol said back in his deep voice while Kyungsoo made his way towards Jongin.

 

 

--

 

 

Chanyeol covered the top of the buffet table as the last student came by and grabbed their breakfast. The cafeteria was very loud, too loud for Chanyeol's liking. It was too early to deal with such high level of useless chatter. Mr. Gim patted Chanyeol on the back as he passed by. The male walked up to Miss Kim and some other teachers who were probably discussing the later ski event.

 

Chanyeol just leaned against the buffet and whipped out his phone. He continued his game of solitaire he was having trouble with to pass the time. As a couple seconds went by, Chanyeol's cell suddenly buzzed. Raising a brow, he stopped playing the card game and switched to his messages.

 

Annoying :

 

Dude, check out the loner girl XD

 

Was what Chanyeol received. He looked up from the screen and searched the room for any sign of Chinsun. He followed the many students laughing and talking to one another, hoping from group to group. As he scanned over the many busy crowds, he finally came across Chinsun. She was walking around the tables normally doing her job. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so Chanyeol replied back.

 

Chanyeol :

 

Why?

 

He pressed send then quickly glanced up at Chinsun and carefully watched as she threw out a couple plates in the garbage. She continued picking up trash as usual. Chanyeol's phone violently vibrated. The tall boy switched it on and read the response.

 

Annoying :

 

Just wait, I heard some kids are planning a prank!

 

Chanyeol clenched his phone tighter in anger. He quickly gazed up at Chinsun analyzing her every move. What the hell are they going to do to her? Chanyeol wondered as he looked at a couple kids pointing at the girl in a teasing way. It didn't seem like anyone was making a move to violate the innocent girl. A couple minutes flew by, and once Chanyeol was certain nothing was going to happen, he began to play his solitaire game again. He wasn't very good at any kind of card game. Kyungsoo tried to teach him how to play, but their skill levels were far off. The shorter boy got fed up after a while and said it was hopeless. To Chanyeol, he couldn't really care less. Jongin said learning how to play poker was very important if he was ever broke or something. But Chanyeol liked earning his money with a lot of hard work and dedication. He didn't like betting. It was stupid. Luck was never on his side involving money.

 

Suddenly a big crashing sound snapped Chanyeol out of his thoughts. The tall boy looked up at what was happening. His eyes grew wide in shock at the scene before him. Jessica was standing there with a surprised expression as she cupped her hands over . She was staring at the hopeless food covered girl, Chinsun. Ketchup and sauce stained her face and clothes as a couple fruits stuck to her jacket. Chinsun's mouth was open in shock as her eyes grew extremely wide. There was a plate splattered on the floor with the remainders of the meal spread across the area. The whole cafeteria was quiet as all eyes lied on Chinsun. Her face turned a dark shade of red as she bowed her head low to Jessica.

 

Sorry,” she apologized, but it only came out as weak whisper. All of the students began erupting in laughter at the girl as she quickly picked up the fallen dish. Throwing it in the trash, she scurried out the room with her head held low.

 

Chanyeol couldn't believe what happened. Was this the prank Jongin was talking about? Well Chanyeol didn't like it at all. What had Chinsun done to deserve this?

 

Hey!” Miss Kim yelled over the volume of the students. It didn't seem like anyone heard her because they only got louder. Chanyeol heaved a big sigh while his frustration built up. He couldn't take the immature behavior of his peers so he made his way towards the exit and walked out into the cold winter day. He snatched his cigarette pack from his pocket and slipped one out. He easily lit it. in the nice calming chemicals, he slowly exhaled as the dark smoke escaped his lips. Why was he so upset about all of this? He didn't know Chinsun, he wasn't her friend. She was just some lonely girl in his class that was always picked on. He never felt sympathy for someone else. So why was he feeling this towards her? He barely even spoke to her let alone see her. She meant nothing to him. Yet, after the couple days that passed by, she was literally the only thing running through his mind. Maybe it was because he pitied her weakness, her vulnerability. That's right...Chanyeol thought to himself. He didn't have any special feelings for her, he was just concerned like a normal human being would be. It was normal, completely normal...

 

 

--

 

 

Listen up everyone!” Miss Kim announced, all the students stood outside at the top of the mountain in the bitter cold morning. They were all facing the three staff members as Miss Kim began giving the instructions. “Just form a line on the left side and the right side of the mountain. You can slide down once the student before you has gotten to the bottom,” she explained. “There are already some staff members at the bottom of the mountain so if you have trouble with anything just let them know. Mr. Gim, myself and Chanyeol will be up here to supervise you,” she pointed to each one. “Please follow the rules! We don't want anyone getting hurt! Now go on ahead and have fun!” she cheered with a big toothy smile. Most of the kids ran into either line and began sliding down the mountain. Some girls just sat on the benches near by and talked while a group of guys started throwing snowballs at each other.

 

Chanyeol slumped down on an empty bench and looked up at the sky. There weren't any clouds. The visible blue sky was bright and beautiful. The warming glow of the sun radiated off the snow giving it that extra sparkle. It was a good day for being outdoors. If he could, he would go ahead and smoke to his heart's content, but since he didn't want his precious cigarettes to be taken away from Miss Kim, he chose not to take any chances and just sit there.

 

He heard foot steps pacing by and gazed up at the noise. Miss Kim had explained before that Chinsun was having trouble washing away the food on her jacket so she couldn't come outside, but it seemed like she had successfully cleaned her coat because she was informing Miss Kim about her arrival at this very moment. Chinsun nodded her head after Miss Kim had told her something. The girl stuffed her hands in her pockets, looking somewhat troubled as the teacher walked away to aid a student. She began searching around for something, but Chanyeol soon learned that it was him. When their eyes met, Chinsun quickly flushed red and ducked her head low. She rapidly made her way over to him stopping and an awkwardly far distance. She cleared , looking around at the few students laughing at her as they passed by.

 

U-um,” she spoke up, her voice was very unstable, “Miss Kim told me to stay with you.” She explained as she let out a nervous breath of air fearing the response she was going to get.

 

Okay,” Chanyeol simply replied back, slipping out his phone. Chinsun paused for a moment, but nodded, then shuffled all the way to the other side of the bench and sat down facing the opposite way of the taller boy. She firmly kept her eyes locked on the students sliding down the hill making sure to see if anyone was breaking the rules.

 

Chanyeol turned his head to the girl and saw how her hands shook in fear. Was she always this afraid? He couldn't imagine how humiliating the past occurrence must have been. Just thinking about it made Chanyeol cringe.