Brown

An Artist's Heart

 

 

~ Chapter Seventeen ~

 

 

 

“Shut up,” Chanyeol hissed, quickly marching away from Jongin to Chinsun. She was grabbing her books from her desk, holding them neatly in her hands. Chanyeol felt his heart flutter as he got closer to the little princess. “Need help?” he shyly asked her. Chinsun whipped her eyes up to the tall boy. He scratched the back of his neck, eagerly biting his lower lip.

“U-um...it's Okay,” she explained while gripping her supplies harder, “thank you.” Chanyeol almost passed out at the sweet gentle tone of her voice. They awkwardly stood beside each other for a few moments before she looked away and bowed in goodbye. Chanyeol almost forgot why he came up to her as she began walking out of class.

“W-wait!” he frantically ran after her. Chinsun nervously turned to him as many girls strangely ignored her existence. Chinsun oddly glanced around, then gazed up at the handsome boy. “Can I,” Chanyeol cleared his throat, “walk you home?” Chinsun stiffened in her spot as his words filled her system. She opened to speak but no sound was able to be produced. Chinsun's eyes widened in shock as flush painted her cheeks. She nodded her head rapidly, as her answer, while she tried hiding her red face. Chanyeol smiled at her response.

They began walking side by side down the hall. Many students would take a small peak in their direction, but swiftly look away, remembering what had happened during lunch. Chanyeol felt like a boss. He seriously did. He was able to protect Chinsun, and it seemed like she was extremely grateful. He hoped so, because he, without a doubt, felt like a hero rescuing his damsel in distress. He was just extremely happy being with Chinsun.

As they came across Chanyeol's locker, the tall boy slowed down his pacing, signaling for her to due so as well. Chanyeol timidly beamed down at Chinsun when they both came to a stop. “I'll just get my stuff and just meet you at your locker then,” he told her. The short girl glimpsed up at the guy, shyly nodding as she returned his smile. Chanyeol, quite startled with the joy in her expression, watched as she walked off to her rightful place.

--

“It's cold outside,” Chanyeol commented as they stepped off of school grounds. Chinsun hummed in response, burying her nose behind her scarf. The wind was piercing strong, carrying the bitter white snow along with it. Chanyeol did not want there to be any silence, he wanted to have a conversation with her. But at the moment, he was too nervous to think of anything worth while to speak about. “So...how Was your weekend?” Chanyeol suddenly blurted. Holy crap what a lame conversation starter. He cringed to himself.

“It was nice,” Chinsun replied, muffled my her neck-wear, “h-how about you?” she inquired back, unexpected by Chanyeol. The male blinked towards Chinsun, who had been gazing up at him the whole time, only to frantically look away, leaving Chanyeol to stare at her flustered face. Was she feeling more comfortable with him? Just with that thought, it brought rainbows and sunshine into Chanyeol's heart. Was she finally getting the courage to trust him? Had saving her from Jessica and the bullying at lunch opened up a small piece of her heart to him? The cheerful boy grinned widely.

“Actually, I was really bored,” Chanyeol truthfully responded, conclusively sensing a new warm feeling in his stomach. Chinsun fluttered her eyes up at him then looked back forward.

“Why were you bored?” she hesitantly questioned. Chanyeol had a little party in his head that their conversation was actually going somewhere. Sticking his cold hands in his pockets, he sighed while gazing up at the sky.

“Jongin was out most of the time and so was Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol explained, “so I was all alone.”

“O-oh.” Chinsun mumbled, slightly feeling guilty that she had been with Kyungsoo the whole weekend, not knowing that Chanyeol had found out. They both came to a stop at the traffic light.

“Which way is your house?” Chanyeol asked looking in either direction. Something in Chinsun's eyes flashed fear. At that moment, Chanyeol recalled the chat he had with Kyungsoo. He had concluded Chinsun didn't want to go home yet because of her parents. But he didn't want to bring that up, it would just make her feel uncomfortable, when she was ready, she would tell him about those things.

“I-um...” Chinsun tried to speak up, but seemed to shy to do so. The tall male felt guilty for asking her. Skimming through the few topic changers he had in mind, he came to a conclusion with one certain subject.

 

“Actually I have a secret,” Chanyeol interrupted her, an idea crossing his mind. Chinsun let out a subtle breath, “I've only told Jongin and Kyungsoo about this so you better not tell anyone.” Chinsun unconsciously leaned closer as her curiosity raised. “I work at a female clothing store,” he confessed. Chanyeol could visibly see Chinsun's expression twist. He could tell that she was very amused by his statement, but there was something within her eyes that seemed sad. He had a clue it was about the kiss, but wasn't going to speak about it, it didn't matter and it meant nothing. However, he did want to make it clear that there was nothing going on between himself and Tiffany. “Do you mind if I take you there?” he then questioned, “I mean, I got time...so why not?” Chanyeol added in a bashful tone. Chinsun blinked out of her fazed state and nodded once.

“I don't mind,” she replied.

--

“Well, here it is.” Chanyeol announced, coming to a stop at the little shop. Chinsun peered up at the small building then averted her gaze to Chanyeol. “Want to go inside?” the boy inquired. Chinsun complied, sheepishly nodding her head.

Chanyeol was not certain if Tiffany was working today, but it did not really matter, as long as Chinsun was by his side, nothing could have felt any better.

Chanyeol gripped the door handle, pulling it wide open. Turning back to the girl, he smiled a toothy grin, waiting for her to enter first. Chinsun quickly walked inside, not to keep him waiting in the cold any longer. As the door closed behind them, a small bell rung.

Footsteps were soon heard, getting louder and louder with each stride.

“Welcome,” Tiffany chirped, making her way around. The moment she arrived, Chanyeol noticed the way Chinsun looked deathly uncomfortable. Tiffany made eye contact with Chinsun first. The room seemed to freeze still at the employees sudden piercing stare to the short girl. Chinsun's eyes grew slightly larger once she recognized who the angel was, the one who had pecked Chanyeol's cheek. Right away, an aura of insecurity washed over Chinsun as Tiffany gleamed up at Chanyeol, forgetting all about her existence. “It's nice to see you again,” Tiffany spoke up, her mood changing drastically.

“Um...sure,” Chanyeol awkwardly replied with a fake smile. Looking down at Chinsun, he nudged her shoulder. Chinsun unwillingly glanced up at him, feeling the least bit worthy of standing in his presence. “I have something to show you,” he signaled to the back, “I think you'd like it.” Chinsun blushed a deep red at his remark, bashfully smiling up at him. Chanyeol, very pleased with this reaction, politely bowed to Tiffany then led his princess to the cash register. Tiffany inwardly scoffed at their dismissal and silently followed behind, feeling the least bit happy with Chanyeol's behavior.

As the two of them made it near the back, to the empty cashier, Chanyeol rapidly picked up the little blue cat displayed on the counter he had noticed Chinsun eyeing the last time. Raising it up in front front of her face, Chinsun's expression beamed with joy as he handed the little plushy to her. She brought it close to her face and inspected the adorable kitten laying in her palms.

And for the first time, she showed her purely white teeth.

Chanyeol was a statue forever stuck in the beauty of the artist before him. The way she radiated innocence, pure happiness and life made Chanyeol almost audibly coo at how much he was drawn to it. She was as cute as a button and as fragile as a piece of glass. Clear and clean like the white winter's snow. Elegant and pretty like a diamond in the sand. Small yet strong like a rock in a storm. Sweet like the tastiest candy, sincere like the deep blood pedals on a rose, perfect like the shape of a square.

Everything seemed just right in Chanyeol's eyes, and what he loved most about Chinsun was that she was just being herself. She didn't need to be like everyone else to find a special place in his heart, because she was the exact puzzle piece that fit just right within his soul.

She completed him.

The male blushed a feverish red.

Chanyeol had to tell her this. He had to before someone else stole her heart.

But how? When? Where? What was he supposed to say? I love you...Chanyeol concluded to himself as the bright sun lit up the shop and danced within Chinsun's orbs.

It wasn't that simple though. There was no way he could say 'I love you' that easily...

“Are you going to buy that,” Tiffany snapped, “or stare at it all day?” she openly insulted the girl. Chinsun tensed up at the fierce tone of her voice. Twisting her head around to the impatient female, Chinsun wistfully shook her head as she began moving her arm to the plushy's original spot. Chanyeol gave Tiffany a -face, clearly pissed off at how harshly she had spoken to his Chinsun. She had no right to act so rudely towards her. Chinsun was simply admiring the little toy.

Once the busty girl noticed Chanyeol's death killing stare, Tiffany just sent him a sweet smile in return. The male knew she just wanted to pull at his strings again, and he was having none of it. He did not love her, and he never will. Being the puppet of a cheating fool was not on his list.

Gazing down at the plushy in Chinsun's grip, he gently cupped his hand over her own stopping her from placing it back on the counter, and making sure to create as much contact as possible. The girl froze at the warmth and care, nervously staring up at the tall boy. Chanyeol smiled at Chinsun, possibly melting her insides, then glanced at Tiffany. “I think I'll buy this,” he informed her an ice cold grin curled through his lips and stabbed the female's eyes.

Realizing her position, Tiffany gave in and let her irritated frown drape her face as she strutted around to the cash register to punch in his purchase.

“That's going to be a dollar,” she told Chanyeol as she rudely stretched out her hand to grab the money. Chanyeol cocked a brow at her attitude, fishing in his pocket for some change.

--

After finally leaving the store and successfully getting away from the persistent female. Chanyeol had given the plushy to Chinsun. She hesitantly accepted it because she felt guilty he wasted his money on her. Even though it was just a dollar.

Nevertheless, both Chanyeol and Chinsun were able to continue their stroll around the city. Their time together ended up being more enjoyable than Chanyeol could ever imagine. Despite Chinsun being shy, she was a great listener and was amazing at avoiding awkward conversation gaps. Her questions were simple yet complex, as were her answers. Chanyeol learned many things about Chinsun. She loved drinking a glass of milk every morning, she didn't like the smell of lemons and baby powder, she had never left the country, her cat was almost five years old, she loved skating in the winter time, she could never afford a cell phone, drawing helped her calm down from all the craziness in the world and most of all, she loved the colour brown. Chanyeol couldn't imagine why anyone would ever love such a dull and boring colour as brown, but to Chinsun, it seemed like one of the most interesting things.

“Personally,” Chanyeol began, “when I think of brown, I think of dirt or something gross...like poo.” Chinsun lightly chuckled at his remark, making Chanyeol's stomach do a couple flips feeling proud he made her laugh. “What's so special about the colour brown though?” he sincerely inquired as the curiosity grew. Chinsun looked down to the ground in though as they both paced slowly down the sidewalk.

“Well,” she started, as a red car zoomed by, “just because something may not look beautiful on the outside,” she explained in her shy voice, “doesn't mean it can't do beautiful things.” Chanyeol averted his gaze to the white snow as he considered her words. She had a point. Just because something may look disgusting or hideous does not mean that it couldn't create amazing things. Deep down within Chanyeol's soul, he had a feeling that Chinsun thought of herself in that way. Did she think she was ugly? Unloved? Friendless? Worthless? Forgotten?

--

“You didn't have to...” Chinsun stressed as they stopped in front of her house. Chanyeol shook his head as a killer smile lit up his face.

“I told you it's fine,” he reassured in his deep soothing voice, “I wanted to walk you home.” Chinsun visibly blushed, ducking her head behind her scarf.

“W-well, thank you,” she bashfully told him, bowing in the process. When she was about to raise her torso, Chanyeol gently placed his index finger under her chin and lifted her head up. He could physically feel how hot she was, but that just made him more flustered.

“You don't have to bow,” he chuckled, Chinsun gave him a confused look, “we're friends.” Her eyes grew wide as her breath hitched. Chinsun stared up at him un astonishment while he brought his finger back into his pocket. Chanyeol began to flush at what he said, but he was proud he took the next step. Chinsun regained her posture. After a moment of silence, her face lit up with the biggest smile Chanyeol had ever seen. He inwardly gulped.

“Friends?” she mumbled to herself as she began flushing even brighter.

“Y-yeah,” Chanyeol's heart leaped when he stuttered, “I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable or somethi-”

“N-no!” Chinsun interrupted, instantly feeling shocked at her outburst. “I-It's okay...” she ducked her head to cover her embarrassment. There was an awkward silence as the atmosphere became increasingly hot.

“I guess I'll see you tomorrow.” Chanyeol spoke up. Chinsun nodded her head as she glanced up at the handsome male. “Bye,” Chanyeol waved as he took a step back.

“Bye,” Chinsun muttered, Chanyeol's heart began ramming against his rib cage.