Polar Opposites

An Artist's Heart

 

 

~ Chapter Twelve ~

 

“You?” Chanyeol questioned in disbelief. “Why-”

 

“U-um...It's getting cold...”Chinsun quickly cut him off as her anxiety began taking over. She quickly rose from the bench clutching her stuff to her chest. Before running off, she briefly bowed to Chanyeol and vanished to the building.

 

Chanyeol was just left there to comprehend what had just occurred. He stared at the empty space beside him letting the winds hum into his ears. He never realized how lonely it was sitting out here in the cold.

 

--

 

“Hey Chan!” Jongin called, jumping on his friend the moment he entered the school. Chanyeol almost fell back due to Jongin's action.

 

“ you scared me,” Chanyeol heaved as he clenched the spot right above his heart. Jongin rolled his eyes and chuckled. Kyungsoo came walking a few moments later towards the two boys.

 

“We just saw Chinsun come in,” Kyungsoo mentioned, crossing his arms over his chest. “What happened? She looked exceptionally embarrassed.” Jongin then grinned that creepy smile while Kyungsoo cocked a questioning brow. Chanyeol narrowed his eyes in confusion. He couldn't understand what his friends were getting at.

 

.

.

.

 

“We didn't kiss if that's what you were thinking,” Chanyeol flatly commented, glancing between either boy. Jongin furrowed his brows at that while Kyungsoo let his arms fall back to his sides.

 

“Then what happened? She seemed really...I don't know...” Kyungsoo lingered on as he thought about a word.

 

“Concerned,” Jongin interrupted his thinking, trying to look right through Chanyeol's soul.

 

“She sort of just ran off after she told me something,” Chanyeol explained as the three boys started walking further within the school.

 

“Like?” Kyungsoo pondered, leaning closer to Chanyeol.

 

“Did she confess?” Jongin asked, a smirk dancing across his face. Chanyeol slapped him on the arm and scoffed.

 

“Um no Jongin,” Chanyeol slightly chuckled, “and she just told me something about one of her drawings.” Chanyeol finished while putting his hands inside his pockets. Both boys completely lost interest as they looked at each other.

 

“Really? That's it? Wow...” Jongin mumbled.

 

“Oh,” Kyungsoo muttered, “well...” he continued, looking around at all the flirtatious eyes staring them down, “are you going to confess?” Chanyeol's heart skipped a beat while his face slightly flushed red, but he rolled his eyes in annoyance to cover it.

 

“I don't know how many times I've told you,” Chanyeol groaned, “but I don't like her.” Kyungsoo just gave Chanyeol the dude-you-obviously-have-a-thing-for-Chinsun-if-you're-actually-worrying-about-her look while Jongin didn't seem to be paying any attention at the moment, but to a certain attractive female down the hall.

 

“Chan-”

 

“I'm serious Kyung, I don't. I'm not getting into another relationship,” Chanyeol explained, “remember what happened the last ti-”

 

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo whined, “that was so long ago! You just messed with the wrong girl. Chinsun's different. She's not like Tiffany. Have you seen the way she acts and dresses? They are polar opposites.” Chanyeol glared at the ground as his friend's words filled his mind.

 

It was true. They were polar opposites. Chinsun was extremely artistic, unlike Tiffany who couldn't give a crap about art. She was very quiet and only listened most of time while Tiffany would be the one giving you all the info. Chinsun didn't have any friends while Tiffany practically knew everyone on the planet. Chinsun got good grades while Tiffany dropped out of school. Chinsun took notes, paid attention in class and was very sweet. Tiffany didn't listen to anyone, she was her own boss and knew how to turn you on. Chanyeol noticed that Chinsun didn't like being near people while Tiffany could feel you up like no tomorrow. Chinsun could barely find the courage to speak while Tiffany was a social butterfly. Chinsun had never done anything special with her hair or face, while Tiffany looked like a super star everyday. Tiffany was a brave and strong woman while Chinsun was weak and small. Tiffany was beautiful, Chinsun was not. Tiffany had an amazing smile while Chinsun had never shown hers. Tiffany had a well sculpted body while Chinsun had a couple lumps here and there. Tiffany was easy to talk to while Chinsun was a bit awkward.

 

They were completely and utterly different. Chanyeol knew that for a fact. But he had told himself that he wasn't going to fall in love. It was too big of a burden. It hurt too much. And even though he had an extremely big chance of getting together with Chinsun, he just...didn't love her. He couldn't picture himself kissing her or holding her hand. He couldn't imagine bringing her on a date or hushing sweet words in her ear. He just couldn't. She wasn't that type of girl to him. She was just Chinsun, soon to be friend, not...lover or girlfriend.

 

It might have sounded cold and bitter, but it was the truth. He wasn't attracted to Chinsun. He just couldn't find anything at the moment that would make him his lips or make his heart race. She was just...Chinsun. Just another person in his life that he encountered.

 

“Whatever man,” Kyungsoo then sighed as he stopped in his tracks, Chanyeol turned to his friend in confusion while Jongin had seemed to have just disappeared.

 

“Where are you going?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“I have a detention, that stupid got me in trouble again...” Kyungsoo told him as he cringed at the thought of Jongin, “am I meeting you after school?” he then asked. Chanyeol shook his head. “What?! Why?” Kyungsoo pouted his lips.

 

“I have work,” Chanyeol explained. Kyungsoo chuckled and nodded his head in understanding.

 

“See yeah later then!” Kyungsoo waved, turning down the hall. Before completely disappearing he quickly looked over his shoulder. “Oh yeah, don't forget to get me a discount on while you're at it!” Chanyeol flushed red from embarrassment.

 

“Shut up!” Chanyeol called, ducking his head low and walking out of sight. Kyungsoo laughed before turning the corner.

 

--

 

Chanyeol entered the woman's clothing store. A little bell rang as the door swung open. He made his way through the racks and stacks of products. Many girls giggled as they witnessed the rare sight of a tall handsome male walking inside a woman's shop. This is so embarrassing...Chanyeol cried to himself as he reached the check out counter.

 

As usual, his co-worker Dara, was handling another line of buyers. When he came in sight, she smiled brightly towards him before going back to the short lady handing her a pair of jeans. Chanyeol really enjoyed working with Dara. She was a very amusing person to talk to. She always rambled on about how much she loved her fiancée. She explained the whole proposal maybe one million times, but it didn't matter to Chanyeol. He found it quite amazing how much she loved him. Every time she said his name her face would completely brighten up.

 

Chanyeol then entered the back room, spotting his uniform hanging on one of the grey old hooks. He quickly made his way towards it, changing in lightning speed. His uniform smelled like vanilla. He didn't mind it all that much but he made sure that the scent didn't stick with him to school.

After his tight jeans and pink shirt were comfortably resting on his body, he casually walked outside of the dull room.

 

Many eyes darted his way. Chanyeol, still not very used to working inside a women's clothing store, tried his best to brush off the odd looks and began organizing the unfolded shirts he kept on spotting.

 

Honestly, Chanyeol really didn't have a choice but to work at this shop. When he and Jongin finally moved into their own apartment, the only two places that were available at the time were a strip club and a clothing store. He chose the latter while Jongin chose the strip club. He vowed himself to never step within five meters of that building. He would probably just die at the sight of his best friend acting like a in front of a whole crowd. He really didn't approve of Jongin's decision, but nothing could change that boys oddly wired brain when it had made up its mind. Kyungsoo surprisingly didn't seem all that worried for Jongin. Probably because he knew that Jongin would never actually get into big trouble or anything. But still...Chanyeol wouldn't want random people hungrily looking at him. It would be creepy.

 

“Chanyeol,” Dara called as she finished up the last customer. Chanyeol stopped his folding and turned to the girl.

 

“Yeah?” he said back.

 

“After you close up,” she began, “the manager wants to tell you something.” Dara explained, smiling towards a young girl and her mother passing by to the kids section. Chanyeol cocked a brow in confusion.

 

“What for?” he inquired, quickly folding the shirt, making his way to Dara. She pursed her lips in thought as she stared intently at the counter top. As Chanyeol came to a stop before her, she looked up at him right when she remembered.

 

“Something about a new employee...I think,” Dara trailed off, tapping her chin, “I could be wrong, but you're not in trouble or anything.” Chanyeol nodded his head in understanding. He swirled around to continue with his job but came to a complete stop when the store bell rang and two people walked inside. ...Chanyeol panicked, frantically looking around for a place to hide. Dara furrowed her brows at the strange boy before slightly shrieking when he jumped over the counter. He ducked his head out of sight sliding to the ground leaning his back against the hard wood side. His breathing was deep and frantic. He couldn't believe out of everyday, out of every store, out of every time, out of every person, some old lady had to walk in with Chinsun. THE Chinsun. He did not want anybody to know that he worked there. It would be too embarrassing to handle.

Dara gazed down at him with utter confusion written all over her face. “Chanyeol?”

 

“Sh!” the boy hushed her, holding his breath when the footsteps got closer. Dara awkwardly looked back up, trying to think nothing of his odd behavior. As the footsteps got louder, Chanyeol was able to hear more of their conversation.

 

“Would you like me to help you?” Chinsun's sweet voice echoed within Chanyeol's ears.

 

“No you stupid girl,” the old lady snapped back as ruffling of clothes were heard.

 

“S-sorry,” Chinsun murmured, rejection and sadness evident in her tone. Then suddenly, shadows fell upon Chanyeol's head as it blocked the light from the store's yellow bulbs. He slightly looked up to only sigh in relief when he noticed that no one had spotted him.

 

“Where do you keep your sweaters?” the old woman asked in a fears tone. Chanyeol could clearly see how Dara tensed in shock at the rudeness portrayed.

 

“Just this way ma'am,” Dara gestured, walking over Chanyeol and around the counter, far away from Chanyeol's view. The hiding boy sighed but quickly held his breath.

 

“No,” the lady suddenly poke up, “you stay right there,” she ordered Chinsun.

 

“Y-yes grandmother...” Chinsun mumbled very quietly. Chanyeol's eyes grew wide at the name she had given her. Grandmother? Who the hell's grandmother acts y towards their grand child? Chanyeol asked himself as he tried listening to anything else. But it seemed like Dara had escorted the woman towards her request while Chinsun was left alone (sort of) to wait by the cash register. Chanyeol slightly looked up and saw the brokenness and sorrow filling her eyes as Chinsun blankly stared off at the plushy toys displayed on top of the counter. It seemed like she was eyeing this one particular blue kitty with a black nose. Chanyeol wondered if she wanted to buy it. She probably wouldn't even consider asking that old hag due to the way she had been speaking to her before.

 

Chinsun appeared so alone. So lost, so...unloved. Why was her grandmother acting like that towards her in such a terrible manner? It was incredible how Chinsun couldn't have exploded yet. If it were Chanyeol he would be defending himself and started yelling at that lady, but obviously he couldn't, even though he seriously wanted to. Was Chinsun treated like trash at school and at home? But what for? She was the most sweetest looking girl he had ever laid eyes on. Why was everyone being so rude towards her?

 

“Is that all?” Chanyeol heard Dara ask as she made her way behind the counter.

 

“Yes, that's it,” Chinsun's grandmother replied as Dara punched in a couple of numbers into the cash register.

 

“That will be twenty dollars please,” Dara told her as the sound of a wallet opening soon came after. Once she had bought her sweater, heavy footsteps began fading until a bell was heard and a door closing. Chanyeol finally regained his regular breathing.

Dara quickly turned to Chanyeol with her hands on her hips. “Do you like her?” she smiled, a weird gleam crossed her eyes. Chanyeol jumped up in panic.

 

“No no no! I don't!” Chanyeol defended himself as he waved his hands to add emphasis. Dara cocked a brow in disbelief.

 

“Yeah, sure. Says the boy who hid behind the cash,” she teased. A storm of laughter erupted from the moment Chanyeol's face began turning a few shades of red at how stupid he must have looked. He scratched the back of his neck and cleared his throat.

 

“I just don't want everyone to know that I work here, okay? I seriously don't like her,” Chanyeol explained, walking to the other side of the cash. Dara scoffed at the boy's statement.

 

“Yeah whatever,” Dara grinned, “now get back to work.”

 

--

 

“See you later,” Dara waved as she left the store. Chanyeol smiled back as he zipped up his jacket within the back room. Pushing the door open, Dara walked out. After a couple moments, the tall male heard a faint sound of a bell ring as his co-worker officially exited the shop.

 

As Chanyeol turned to the door, his manager walked in with a smile on her bony little face. He politely bowed to her while staying in his spot as he waited for the expecting news.

 

“Hello Chanyeol,” she began, “I just needed to tell you about a new employee that will be working here,” she explained, slipping a paper out of her purse. “Here, I have her information,” the manager told him as she handed him the slip, “I wanted you to train her tomorrow, just show her where everything goes and how to use the cash register.” Chanyeol nodded his head as he took the paper out of her grasp. While analyzed the name his body tensed up when he read her report. “That's all I really needed to say. So thank you for staying behind, I'll close up the store.” With that, his manager bowed in goodbye and walked out of the back room. Chanyeol couldn't respond. He was shocked to say the least. He would have never expected to ever be working...with her. He never wanted to lay eyes on her. He never wanted to speak to her, walk with her. But here he was. Looking at her profile. And he had to help her. Tomorrow.

 

He would have to see her, the girl who broke his heart.

 

Tiffany.