Realization

An Artist's Heart

 

 

~ Chapter Fifteen ~

 

 

The first moment Chanyeol walked into class, he noticed Chinsun looking exceptionally sad. Her back was hunched forward like a turtle, dazing out like a zombie. The girl's eyelids drooped, her face reflected stress and fatigue. There were subtle dark marks underneath her eyes making her look somewhat like a raccoon, which did not aid her appearance at all. Her eyes had visible redness stained inside the white of her orbs. She looked distraught, yet, somewhat relieved, but that thought was only seen far within her.

Chanyeol allowed a frown to scar his pretty features, slowly strutting his way to his desk. He furrowed his brows together as concern edged its way deep within his heart. What's wrong with Chinsun? Is all that was running through his mind as class begun. He had never seen her in such a depressing mood. She looked troubled, very troubled actually. Something must have happened. But what? Had those bullies done something again? No...that couldn't have been the reason. They hadn't been snickering about her once he entered the class.

The tall boy just sighed to himself while examining his phone underneath the table. He hadn't been receiving as many texts as before. Chanyeol found it seemingly bizarre, but nevertheless, he was very pleased that Jongin hadn't been giving away his number recently.

Speaking of Jongin...Chanyeol smirked to himself as a sweating boy dashed to the door, heaving a tone of air each second. Miss Kim jumped in shock as she eyed the late male resting against the door frame. Many of the students began giggling to one another, the handsome Jongin quietly, yet rapidly, making his way to his rightful spot. Chanyeol hadn't forgotten the day Jongin didn't wake him up. It was only fair that he had a little taste of his own medicine. While marching to his seat, Jongin jabbed his pencil into Chanyeol's arm while passed by. Chanyeol silently cussed, both glaring at one another. Miss Kim gave the two boys a look before slowly flowing back into her lecture.

 

Annoying :

 

Holy Chanyeol you

 

Chanyeol cocked a brow at his friend before quickly sending Jongin a reply back.

 

Chanyeol :

 

Now we're even >:)

 

Chanyeol heard Jongin scoff a couple desks down. He couldn't help the grin spread across his face, but it died down when he saw Chinsun quickly wipe away her eyes. It didn't seem like anyone else had noticed her little action, but Chanyeol saw it. Was she crying? Why was she getting emotional? Had something occurred around her desk? What could have possibly made her like this? Making her lose her composure and slowly letting it out in the middle of class? Maybe there was some sort of situation going on at home that was breaking her heart? What was going on?

 

Chanyeol was thankful Chinsun was keeping as much self control as she could at the present moment. He could slightly see her shake from the willpower to do so. But maybe he could talk to her latter on about it. No, he will ask her. Chanyeol nodded his head lightly as to confirm his vow. He wanted to comfort Chinsun in anyway possible, even though he had the slightest idea as of why she was feeling that way. It didn't matter. He was going to be there for her. He was going to protect her.

 

Suddenly, sorrow filled his heart as Chinsun raised her hand to be excused. It seemed like she was currently a mess, Miss Kim's expression changed for a brief moment when her eyes fell upon the frail girl, before nodding her head to leave the class. As the teacher started talking again, Chinsun swiftly made her way out the door, successfully keeping her face covered by her hair. Chanyeol stared at the door once Chinsun had passed through. The worried boy gazed down at his lap where he held his phone. He didn't realize how hard he was squeezing it until he noticed how white his knuckles had become. Quickly loosening his grip allowing, he continued staring at the exit.

 

Jongin watched as his friend focused on the door. The way Chanyeol's eyes held that obvious glint in them, as if they were longing to see that one girl that filled his heart and soul. Jongin was right. Chanyeol fell for Chinsun. Sighing to himself, he pursed his lips remembering what Kyungsoo had told him on Friday. He knew he couldn't tell Chanyeol. Knowing he was an arrogant little , still, he knew better than to spill something so serious. He didn't have any right to confess everything to his friend. That was someone else's job.

 

--

 

Chinsun had arrived a couple minutes before the lunch bell rang. She had remained in the washroom for practically the whole period. But it didn't seem like Miss Kim minded. Chinsun was a great student. She raised her hand, never spoke to anyone or disturbed the class (not like there was anyone she could have spoken to), she finished all her projects and homework on time, her grades were average and she was very polite. Miss Kim let this little situation slide, knowing fairly well that Chinsun needed some time to cool off.

 

Once the bell rang, all the students happily ran out of class. Jongin had to stay in for lunch again due to the late arrival. Chanyeol could tell that his friend was not pleased with his actions, but he had done just the same so he had to learn from his mistakes. Smiling, Chanyeol turned to Chinsun and noticed her panicking to get out of class. Her head was held down while she waited for those three girls to make way from the door. Except, it didn't seem like they were going to allow her to pass through.

 

Jessica slowly took a step towards Chinsun with a sneaky grin plastered on her face. Chinsun clasped her hands together behind her back in a nervous manner - preventing her from looking up at the other girl. Jessica only scoffed in amusement as she bent down to Chinsun's level. She whispered something into her ear, then lingered beside her head as she watched Chinsun's reaction. The poor girl froze in her spot and shook her head. At that moment, it seemed like Jessica had shattered her world. Chinsun kept slowly shaking her head in protest while the other female kept a satisfied smirk on her lips.

Jessica then straightened her posture while looking down at the fidgeting female.

 

“You know it's true,” Jessica mocked, loud enough for Chanyeol to hear. The tall boy narrowed his eyes in confusion as he hurriedly got up from his spot. He pushed in his chair while keeping his eyes locked on the scene before him. As he started moving to the front of the class, the three girls all smiled to each other, strutting out of the room. If he could, he would definitely punch each one square in the face.

Shaking his head, he put on a little smile as he came up to Chinsun.

 

“Hey,” he greeted, stopping before her. Chinsun jolted her head up as she stared wide eyed at Chanyeol. Blinking in surprise, she quickly inhaled a breath as she snapped her head into her usual ducking position.

 

“Hello,” she shyly mumbled. Voice wavering as her body slightly shook.

 

“Are you going to go eat outside today?” Chanyeol questioned, trying to start a conversation. Chinsun audibly swallowed.

 

“U-um...yes,” she responded.

 

“I need you two to leave,” Miss Kim cut in, gesturing to the door then looking to Jongin, “I have a detention going on,” she finished. They both nodded in understanding before walking out of class. Once the door closed behind them, Chanyeol gleefully looked down at the girl.

 

“So,” Chanyeol continued. For some odd reason he felt a jolt of nervousness fill his body once his next few words left his mouth, “do you mind if I join you?” he inquired, hoping that she would say yes. Chanyeol's heart began beating in anticipation. He was a little excited too, he couldn't wait to spend another hour with her, all by themselves. Just the two of them...alone...Chanyeol slightly blushed at his weird thoughts. Chinsun looked around at the glaring eyes in the hall, which Chanyeol hadn't realized. Squeezing her hand bag closer to her body, she sadly shook her head no. Chanyeol's smile vanished completely and twisted into a disappointed frown. “Why not?” he pondered in a low fragile volume, taking an unconscious step closer. Chinsun panicked at the close proximity and tried her best to inch a couple paces away from him. Many hushed whispers that Chinsun quickly took notice of were heard as she began feeling extremely self-couscous.

 

“I think you sh-should stay with your friends,” she replied, sadness and regret evident in her tone. A couple girls began gossiping at her words while others began judging her every move. Chanyeol's heart shattered. A familiar pain stabbed at his body, he knew he felt this sort of feeling before. He didn't understand, but her words actually hurt more than it should have. She didn't want him to hangout with him? What could be the reason? Did she not like his company? Did she not like it when he spoke to him? Was his voice too low and scary? Was he being too forceful? Was he getting into her business? Was he uncomfortable to be around? Was he not friendly enough? Was he attracting unwanted attention? Was he causing her to get hurt somehow? ...Did she not like him?

Chanyeol's eyes grew wide in worry. No, no no no no. What did he do wrong? What was wrong with him? He never wanted this. He wanted her to like-

Suddenly, at that moment, he finally snapped out of his thoughts and fully heard the tormenting words surrounding them.

 

“I can't believe that little dip rejected him.”

 

“Who does she think she is?”

 

“That's Chanyeol for crying out loud.”

 

“The selfish brat.”

 

“What the hell, why's Chanyeol with her?”

 

“There are so many hot girls in this school and he chose her?”

 

“Dude she's so ugly.”

 

“Wasn't she crying before?”

 

“She's so lame.”


 

Chinsun silently sniffed to herself, awkwardly clearing . Chanyeol turned back to her with sorry eyes. He could visibly see her glossy orbs and trembling lips. He couldn't believe how harsh everyone was being. Had it always been this way? “I...I'm going to g-go.” Chinsun mumbled, “goodbye.” Swiftly turning on her heel, she quickly walked down the hall, carrying all the snickers along with her. Chanyeol couldn't stop staring at her back as she made her way. He looked down to the ground in thought.

What was he doing? Why wasn't he going after her? He wanted to protect her. He needed to! So why wasn't he able to move from his spot? Why was he acting like a little piece of crap?! He couldn't do anything, what was wrong with him? Holy Chanyeol, if you don't move your ing I'm going to pound you into-

 

Then...it happened. That tripped Chinsun. Chanyeol mentally turned into the hulk. Something just snapped within his head and he marched up to Chinsun with powerful strides. The poor girl was scrambling to grab her bag while the halls erupted in laughter. He didn't dare take his eyes off the girl as a couple people eyed him strangely. Jessica was snickering hysterically while her two other friends joined her. Chinsun tried getting off the floor but she kept getting distracted by the tears flowing out her eyes. Every attempt to hoist herself up, she had to wipe away her cheeks with her sleeve.

 

Scaring the life out of the girl, Chanyeol grabbed Chinsun's arm and yanked her up, hiding the girl's sorrowful complexion behind himself for protection. Jessica's laughter died down as she began looking at Chanyeol in disbelief. Most of the chuckling ceased. Students awkwardly scurried to the cafeteria while many quickly strutted out of the hall. Chanyeol was left there, defending Chinsun while facing Jessica and her two other friends. There were a couple people surrounding them in shock and curiosity.

 

“Who the do you think you are?” Chanyeol growled in one of the most deep and terrifying tones he's ever used. Jessica gasped in fear at the strength as her smile was smacked right off her face.

 

“W-well, I...I was ju-”

 

“Cut the crap,” Chanyeol interrupted, glaring holes into her soul, “if you ever lay a finger on Chinsun again,” the tall male paused, glancing between the crowd and the three guilty females, “there will be consequences.” The hall fell into complete silence. Chinsun's eyes grew wider than the moon as she stared up Chanyeol's back to his locks of hair. Jessica's mouth fell agape while her other two friends shook slightly in fear. The atmosphere was still, everyone afraid what would happen if they made any subtle movement.

They all stood there in dead silence, Chanyeol eyed each student. “Let's go,” he muttered to Chinsun. He pulled her through the crowd, leaving flabbergasted witnesses.

 

--

 

Once in another area, far away from all the attention. Chanyeol looked back at Chinsun, fully aware that he was still holding her arm, he just watched her while she breathed heavily clutching her bag for dear life. He kept his hand in its spot, never wanting to let go. He never wanted to let go of her.

 

As Chinsun regained her breath, the girl slightly shook. It was very noticeable that she was extremely embarrassed that Jessica tripped her in front of a crowd, especially in front of Chanyeol. And even more so that they were calling her names and laughing at her. Chinsun squeezed the strap of her hand bag furiously to maintain her composure. She did not want to cry in front of Chanyeol.

 

“Are...” Chanyeol spoke up, clearing his voice because it slightly cracked, “are you okay?” he then finished in a shy tone, lightly flushing because of how nervous he was feeling. Her uniform sweater was very comfy underneath his fingers, it felt very soft. Even more so because it was on her. He never really took into consideration how clean and proper she appeared. It was actually very reassuring to know that she cared about her image than to dress all ty. She actually looked very beautiful in her outfit- Chanyeol's blush darkened as his train of thought side tracked. Now was not the time to think about how nice her clothes were! She had just been humiliated...again. And all he was thinking about was how pretty she looked.

Chinsun's breath hitched when Chanyeol unconsciously squeezed her arm tighter. She then nodded yes to his question. The tall male blinked in disappointment. Chanyeol was not happy with that response. He knew she was not okay. She had not been in the jolliest of spirits today and after what had just occurred...he knew she would not be the slightest bit fine.

Why was she lying to him? She could trust him! She could! Maybe he wasn't making it obvious enough that he wanted to be her...Her what? Her friend, right? He wanted to be friends with her. Hadn't it been obvious all along? But...maybe he didn't want that anymore. Maybe he wanted, more? No. He told himself he didn't like her. He told practically everyone he didn't like her. He told himself that...love was a waist of time. Love. Now that the boy thought of it. What did it actually mean? Had he ever even been in love? Yes he knew Tiffany was beautiful and fun during other things but...did he actually love her? He didn't really like her personality or anything. He was mostly blinded by what he could see, not what he heard. She had just been an attractive magnet that he had been clung onto. Had he just been denying his true feelings all along?

Chanyeol didn't have any right to blame Chinsun for not telling the truth...because...he himself was lying.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

40 Subscribers!!

WOO~

Chanyeol finally realized.

The booger.

I was going to smack him.

-LonDon323