Fragile

An Artist's Heart

 

 

 

~ Chapter Three ~

 

 

Chanyeol walked into class late the next day. Miss Kim wasn't very happy with him but she sent him to his seat nevertheless and continued the lesson. While Chanyeol sat down in his seat he snatched out his phone and texted Jongin.

 

Chanyeol :

 

What the hell man?! Why the didn't you wake me up?

 

He pressed send and heaved a sigh as he waited for his friend to respond. After a few seconds he felt a vibration and flipped his phone open and checked the message.

 

Annoying :

 

Dude your door was locked!

 

Chanyeol raised a brow and glanced at Jongin who was glaring at him. Chanyeol glared back then turned to his phone to answer.

 

Chanyeol :

 

You could have knocked or something! I'm not that much of a heavy sleeper you know!

 

Chanyeol replied. Looking up from his cell, he observed as Miss Kim explained the history of Korea. She began writing down notes on the board. Many of the students didn't bother copying it down because it was all in the text book, but Chanyeol noticed Chinsun doing just that. She had her eyes glued to her note book writing as fast as her hand could possibly go and take note of everything their short chubby teacher said. Chanyeol snapped out of his daze once he felt his phone vibrate again. He looked down at the text.

 

Annoying :

 

I know who you're looking at ;P

 

Chanyeol cocked a brow and turned to Jongin. His friend winked at him and glanced at the seat a couple chairs ahead where Chinsun was. Chanyeol shook his head in annoyance as he slid his phone in his pocket. He crossed his arms over his chest and lazily watching their teacher start on a new subject.

 

 

--

 

 

Jongin in a breath of smoke as his cigarette started to shorten. Chanyeol leaned against the back wall of the school and threw his cigarette on the snow covered ground. Jongin sighed as a puff of air left his mouth. He pouted, then looked up at Chanyeol.

 

Is Kyungsoo in detention again?” he asked as he watched his friend squish the bud on the ground with his shoe.

 

Probably,” Chanyeol answered as he knelt down to pick up some snow.

 

I don't understand how he could have detention practically every day,” Jongin laughed as Chanyeol made a snow ball. The cold was melting in the heat of his hands as he kept it there.

 

I think it's because he keeps on getting caught when you text him,” Chanyeol answered while he threw the clump of snow at a tree.

 

How could he get caught so easily?” Jongin questioned in disbelief.

 

Doesn't he sit at the front in his class?” Chanyeol continued.

 

No, Joonmyun said he sits in the back, sort of,” Jongin stated. Chanyeol looked over at his friend and shrugged.

 

Whatever, he practically lives in our kitchen,” Chanyeol chuckled.

 

True,” Jongin agreed.

 

Hey guys!” someone called out. Both boys turned around to see Kyungsoo walking up to them.

 

Kyung! I've missed you!” Jongin exclaimed as he jumped on the shorter male. Kyungsoo chuckled at his usual behavior before turning to Chanyeol with a smug look.

 

Heard you were staring at that girl,” Kyungsoo stated as he wiggled Jongin off his arm. Chanyeol felt his heart leap for some reason. Why was he feeling embarrassed?

 

I wasn't staring at her,” Chanyeol defended as he slightly looked away. Jongin laughed at Chanyeol's action and patted his back.

 

It's okay dude, we all fall for someone at some point,” he assured as he crossed his arms. The taller boy just glared at the two of them.

 

Listen, I seriously don't like her,” Chanyeol explained as he gave them his most uninterested face he could muster up. Kyungsoo scoffed and rolled his eyes.

 

Yeah, sure. Whatever,” he sarcastically said back while putting his hands in his pockets. “Oh yeah, my teacher explained the ski trip thing this weekend.”

 

Yeah, the whole grade is going,” Jongin spoke up as he leaned against the wall. “You going? I'm pretty sure we could find some hot club there and have some fun.” Kyungsoo glared at Jongin for being so immature.

 

I'm not going to a club with you Jongin, you're the worst drunk ever,” Kyungsoo admitted as Chanyeol nodded his head in agreement. “But yeah, I'm going. I don't have work this weekend.”

 

I need help packing, I don't know what to bring,” Jongin confessed as he pouted turning to Chanyeol for help.

 

Can't, I have to stay after school,” Chanyeol explained. Jongin gave him confused look.

 

What? Why?” he inquired as Kyungsoo gave him an equally interested look.

 

I need to help out, remember?” Chanyeol told them.

 

Aw that !” Jongin whined, “wait, does Chinsun have to stay after school also?”

 

Um, yeah I guess,” Chanyeol replied. Kyungsoo and Jongin glanced at each other with knowing grins on their faces. Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and started walking towards the front of the school. “You guys...” he grunted loud enough for them to hear as lunch came to an end.

 

 

--

 

 

See yeah,” Chanyeol waved as his two other friends walked down the hall. They both smirked back in response before exiting the building. Chanyeol sighed as he turned around to Miss Kim's office. He walked down the emptying halls as students ran passed to catch their lift home. On his way, he saw those same three girl giggling to each other while walking just a couple steps in front of him. As they made their way down, he was able to hear little slips of their conversation. It wasn't that he was interested or anything, it was just that he was in ear shot of them so he so happened to know what they were talking about.

 

Did you see her yesterday?” the talker scoffed as her long brown hair swayed from side to side with every step.

 

She looked like a total loser,” another added as the others chuckled.

 

Isn't she staying after school today?” the one with short hair asked.

 

I think so, didn't she volunteer to help for the ski trip?” the other one pondered.

 

Oh yeah that's true! I bet she only volunteered so she wouldn't have to room with the rest of the students.”

 

That's true, she would look so lame having a room all alone.”

 

At least we don't have to see her annoying face for practically the whole time. She's going to be spending her whole trip either helping out or drawing some stupid crap,” the girls laughed amongst each other as they turned the corner in the opposite direction in which Chanyeol was going. As he was trying to forget what those girls were saying, he couldn't understand why they disliked Chinsun so much. It didn't seem like there was anything slightly bad about her.

 

He shook his head out of his thoughts as he stopped in front of Miss Kim's office. He knocked on the door then pushing it open to be met by Miss Kim and Chinsun.

 

Hello Chanyeol!” the teacher greeted as he walked inside and shut the door behind him. “I was just explaining to Chinsun all the things that need to be done during the trip.” Chanyeol nodded then walked over to the table they were sitting around and took the only spot next to Chinsun. The girl slightly leaned the other way from him in a cautious manner. She glanced up at him for a split second then bowed in hello. Chanyeol oddly watched the shy girl as she fiddled with her fingers. “Alright then!” Miss Kim began, Chanyeol looked over to the teacher giving her his full attention, “you two will be rooming with the rest of the staff on this trip so don't make any plans with your friends.” Chinsun felt a little uncomfortable at the mention of 'friends' but tried not to show it. Unfortunately Chanyeol noticed very clearly how the girl shifted in her spot, but he didn't say anything. “Once the busses arrive, we would like you two to help out with the suit cases and pack them in. When we reach the chalet it would already be late at night so I would like it if you two go to sleep at your respectful rooms. The next morning you will have to wake up at six like the rest of us and help with the breakfast for the students,” Miss Kim paused as she took out a piece of paper for the two of them to share, “here are all the rules for the ski hill, if anyone isn't following them I would like you two to interfere and explain the regulations. We don't want anybody getting hurt.” Chanyeol and Chinsun nodded their heads while the paper slid across the table towards them. Chanyeol lifted it up so he could read it while Miss Kim continued talking. “We'll be leaving after school tomorrow so make sure to have everything packed and ready to go! Thank you two so much for helping! You two may leave now,” Chanyeol stood up from his chair and bowed to the teacher while Chinsun did the same.

 

Do we come to your office right after school tomorrow?” Chanyeol asked before moving to the door.

 

Yes, that would be a good idea! Just wait for me outside and I'll come as quickly as I can!” she smiled at the two of them. Chanyeol nodded then left to the door while Chinsun nervously stayed behind. Right when Chanyeol opened the exit and stepped outside, he heard Chinsun ask;

 

Is it alright if I sleep in the same room as you?” her voice was very small yet sweet. It sounded reassuring and gentle, Chanyeol couldn't imagine how anyone could bully something so fragile as her.

 

That wouldn't be a problem,” Chanyeol heard Miss Kim say. Chinsun sighed in relief. Then the door shut closed and Chanyeol began walking down the hall to his locker. As he was pacing down the empty building, Miss Kim's door opened while Chinsun came out. She gently closed the door behind her and walked in the same direction as Chanyeol.

 

It was very quiet, only the sounds of their footsteps were heard as they made their way to their lockers. The tall boy stopped at his rightful one turning the lock and pulling it open with a click. Chinsun rapidly walked by as her locker was across from his a couple feet down which was closer to the entrance of the school. Chanyeol grabbed his jacket, easily putting it on as he zipped it up to the top. He took his bag, swinging over his shoulder while closing his rusty locker and walking to the exit of the building. As usual, Chinsun held her sketch book securely to her chest. She snapped her lock shut and turned around to where Chanyeol was and accidentally made eye contact. She rapidly averted her eyes to the ground and scurried to the entrance quickly walking out.

 

Chanyeol narrowed his brows in confusion as he felt the cool breeze hit his face and step into the bitter cold of the winter. Chinsun looked very shy, compared to the many girls that tried to get his number while rubbing their bodies all over him. She was the exact opposite. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but he worried about how vulnerable she was.

 

He didn't like her, no. He didn't. He was just concerned for her. She looked weak and helpless against the many dangers of the world.

 

 

--

 

 

So how did it go?” Jongin asked the moment Chanyeol walked into their apartment.

 

Good,” Chanyeol simply relied while taking off his shoes and hanging his jacket.

 

Just good?” he heard Kyungsoo ask from the kitchen. He was probably making fried rice or something, due to the smell radiating from the room. Chanyeol walked into the house and slumped on the couch with Jongin.

 

Yup, just good,” Chanyeol responded looking at the TV screen that was showing some sort of Korean drama. Jongin cocked an eyebrow at the taller boy.

 

Fine, if it was just good, then did you learn anything new about her?” the tanned male questioned trying to get at least some information out of him. Chanyeol thought about it as the character in the film hid under a table.

 

All I can really tell you is that she's really shy,” he spoke after a moment.

 

How so?” Kyungsoo questioned, walking into the room.

 

She only talked when I was leaving the room,” Chanyeol explained as he observed Kyungsoo snatch the remote form Jongin's hand and turn off the TV, indicating super was ready. Jongin glared at Kyungsoo but turned to Chanyeol and gave him a shocked look.

 

Really? She's that shy?” he pondered. Chanyeol nodded while getting up from the comfy cushions.

 

Yeah, and she also leaned away from me because I sat next to her,” Chanyeol added as the three boys walked to the kitchen and sat around the circular table. Kyungsoo served himself some rice while Jongin and Chanyeol waited.

 

Seriously? I wonder how people treat her at home,” Kyungsoo wondered out loud as he finished putting food on his plate.

 

You know,” Jongin started, as he watched Kyungsoo eat his rice, “I heard she got when she was younger.”