Break

Catch Me

Gun—confiscated.

Badge—confiscated.

Pride—slaughtered.

Changmin—dead the next time I see that little bastard.

Day—boring to the point I actually was watching the plants grow in Changmin's apartment.

I woke in the morning to my cell ringing with Chief on the other line. I'd been asked to stay home for two days because of my partner's concern. I ran around the house to find Changmin long gone and my gun gone. He knew me well enough to know that it might be used in his return for pulling such a bull stunt.

A two day leave due to “mental rehabilitation from traumatic incident”. What the hell? Just because my apartment had been broken into and I was left with a disturbing letter from a problematic, mental criminal did not mean I couldn't do my job correctly!

I slammed the microwave door closed, hoping I'd broken Changmin's appliance. He needed to pay for making me stay away from the precinct. For two days! Anyone else might enjoy the day off, but not I. Being a detective, working for the law had always been the dream that plagued me, ever since I was little. I'd shrugged off the rest of my life for the duty that meant more to me. Of course, not everyone is pleased with such “rash” and “selfish” decisions, but, frankly, I couldn't give two s what my brother—or anyone else—said about my choice of life.

I needed to work because it was all I had.

Besides Junsu.

But I was about ready to ignore him all over again after what Changmin had told me the night before. Damn boy anyway.

Changmin was the who put me in that fix to begin with.

I guess all I had was Min then.

That's fine with me, I thought as she hopped up onto the table I was eating at. I her fur and kissed her nose, loving to have such a silent friend. She never talked, never complained about my life choices or y attitude. I fed her, I cared for her. So, therefore, I was number one on her list. And now she was on mine.

“Wow, I'm pathetic,” I sighed, letting the contents of the Styrofoam ramen bowl fall back inside from my spoon.

I really was a poor soul, if it was thought about long enough. A demanding job, two friends—if I could even call Changmin that, a tiny apartment, and a cat. Not how I hoped my life would turn out, but at least I was alive and doing what I'd always wanted and what I loved, right?

There were times I missed my family though. I really missed my dad. He'd always been the one to push me forward, the one who encouraged me to do what I wanted to do. Its not that I didn't miss my mother; she was just a serious sometimes. And my brother...don't even get me started.

The last time we saw each other, he left with a broken nose and a black eye and my pride had taken a serious beating. Yeah, we didn't exactly talk anymore.

I got up from the table quickly, the chair teetering as it slid back. The rest of my meal was thrown into the trash and I grabbed my coat from the back of the couch. “I'll be back later, Min,” I said. “Feel free to pee wherever you want.” I grabbed the extra set of keys that Changmin had given me and left.

There was a reason why I surrounded myself with my work. It kept me the with the rock hard exterior that didn't let anyone in. Once I was alone, I began to regret decisions and—we couldn't have that.

“Damn you, Changmin,” I said, pulling my hood over my head against the autumn wind as I hurried down the side walk. A couple of blocks from Changmin's flat was a street market that I'd always wanted to visit. We'd passed it the few times I'd been to his place and it was eye-catching enough that it even grabbed my interest.

Sure enough, the place was bustling with activity even in the early morning. Booths ran down both sides of the closed-off street, lined with people glancing over their prizes. I blended into the oncoming crowd and looked about. Hand-painted jewelry, clothes, crafts, paintings, and other colorful items surrounded us, begging to be bought.

I stepped into a tent that was filled to the entrance with clothing. Not that I needed anymore clothes, but it wouldn't hurt to look. Plus, it was less crowded and I could actually breath again. My hands traveled through a rack of shirts, skimming through them and studying the prices. Not too bad.

“Shouldn't you be at work today?”

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up at the voice hissing in my ear. I turned my head slightly to see UKnow's face smirking down at me. He had me trapped between him and the tent wall, I immediately noticed.

“What do you want?” I asked, keeping my voice even though my innards began to tremble.

He shrugged and looked at a shirt without interest. “Just shopping.”

“Don't lie,” I growled. “You followed...” I trailed off at the realization. He knew I was staying at Changmin's.

As if he read my thoughts, he openly smiled. “Your partner left you alone thinking you were safe, didn't he?”

“You going to kill me?” I asked, eyes cast to him bitterly.

“With all these people?” he asked and snorted. “I'm not stupid, Detective. But you know that. Otherwise, you would have caught me already.”

“I can catch you right now,” I said.

“No cuffs, no gun, no badge. You're powerless.” His tongue slid over the last word with such triumph, it made my stomach twist and heart pick up.

“Not entirely,” I replied quietly, and my elbow back.

Without hesitation, he blocked it and I swung around, fist ready to connect with his face. But his hand caught it, lips grinning wolfishly. “You're gorgeous when you get angry.”

“Shut up!” I sent my knee for his crotch, but he swung me around, nearly off my feet, and twisted my arms painfully behind me. His hands gripped my wrists tightly, pulling my arms harder from their sockets. I tried desperately not to wince.

“Looks like I've caught you, Detective,” he whispered into my ear, disgusting breathe blowing against the side of my face.

I tried to stomp on his toes, to get some form of abuse in, but he only pulled harder on my wrists and I let out curse between clenched teeth. He chuckled and I felt his lips press against the back of neck. That was enough.

“Let me go!” I shrieked, trying to twist out of his grasp. But he was so damn strong. “Dammit, UKnow!” I cursed when he only chuckled and the restraint of his hands only tightened, increasing the pain.

“Hey, what's going on?”

Finally, the vendor had seen my dilemma. When his stupid brain set off an alert to my distress he came towards us. UKnow's hands released and he was gone, rushing out of the tent. I went after him. Breaking into the daylight, I looked around wildly, eyes searching the crowd for the familiar dark hair.

A string of curse words left my lips and I let out a growl of frustration, earning insulted looks from the people around me. “ you all,” I snapped, flipping my hood back over my head and pulling my phone from my pocket.

“How's your break going?”

“Changmin, you dare do something like this ever again, I'll castrate you in your sleep.”

Image

“He really did that?”

Yes, Changmin. Do you think I'm delirious now or something?” I griped, adjusting the ice pack on my shoulder. No doubt the had pulled something up there. “He knew I was here all along. If you would have just let me go to work, this wouldn't have happened.”

Changmin scratched the back of his head and let out a growl, pacing the kitchen. “Dammit. I'm sorry, Jin...”

“Its fine,” I replied shortly, not ready to forgive him all the way yet. “I should have known he'd find me. He's smarter than that.” I paused, rubbing at my neck with my free hand. “He's killed a man in a crowd of people without them noticing. He could have killed me right there. Why didn't he?”

Changmin sighed and sat down on another chair backwards, leaning his arms against the back. “You're beautiful and you started chasing after him first.”

I halted in my movements, staring at my partner. “Did you just compliment me?”

“Yeah, don't get used to it,” he replied, his eyes moving everywhere, but to me. “I'm just saying what he might be thinking.”

“It still doesn't make any sense. Most criminals would kill the threat as soon as they got the chance.”

“Maybe you're not a threat to him. Honestly,” he went on when I shot him a look. “Maybe he sees you...” Changmin puffed out his cheeks, beating the back of the chair in some unheard rhythm, “more as a prize than a threat.”

“What do you mean 'prize'...?”

“I have no idea,” Changmin admitted, bowing his head. “The guys just crazy and we need to get more security detail for you.”

“No,” I stated firmly. “No security. I can handle that crazy bastard on my own.”

Changmin opened his mouth to argue when a quiet knock came at the door.

Both our heads turned and alarms started going off in my head. “Whose that?”

“Its Junsu. I invited him over...” Changmin said, getting to his feet.

“Are you two starting a bromance or something?”

“No,” he stated bluntly. “But he makes you feel better so...”

“Changmin...” I groaned, rubbing a hand over my face. “That was a bad idea. I mean...you said...”

“Just shut up and be thankful,” he intervened and opened the door. “Hey, come on in.”

Junsu stepped inside. “Thanks for inviting me over,” he said. He saw the ice pack sitting on my shoulder and his eyes grew concerned. “What happened?” he asked, approaching me.

“I fell,” I said instinctively and Changmin gave me an “are you serious?” look. Junsu looked at me doubtfully. “I'm serious,” I defended.

“On what?” asked Junsu.

“The ground...”

“I doubt that. You're more graceful that.”

“Obviously, you haven't seen her run,” Changmin said, either trying to help me out or taking the chance to insult me.

Junsu was still looking at me like he didn't believe my white lie. Min suddenly came scuttling out from somewhere in the flat, coming to a stop at his feet and mewing happily.

“Hey, Min,” Junsu said with a grin and he picked her up. Then, he looked at me. “Why'd you bring her...?” He looked between Changmin and me, eyes furrowing. “Are you two living together—”

“No!” Changmin and I both answered immediately. I saw Changmin dramatically shudder at the thought.

“I'm just...” I started and then sighed. I couldn't lie to Junsu. “There's this guy that's been following me,” I explained, “and Changmin thought it best if I stay with him for a few nights. But...that hasn't exactly worked.”

“What do you mean?” I threw a pointed glance at my shoulder and Junsu's face darkened. “He hurt you?” he growled. “I'll kill him! Who—”

“Slow down there, tiger,” I said, a smile flicking at my lips. “This guys a little too much. Even for you.” I added the last part for a boost of self-confidence.

Junsu dropped his eyes from me and smiled to himself. Dammit. I shouldn't have said it.

Changmin cleared his throat to fill the possible awkward silence. “I ordered takeout. It'll be here any minute.”

“Awesome,” I said blandly, resting my head in my hand. I could feel a headache coming on.

“You need me to do anything?” Junsu asked, setting my cat on the floor.

I shook my head and forced a smile. “No, I'm good. Thanks.”

“Okay...” Junsu shifted uncomfortably. “Does he have a bathroom?”

“No, we in the yard.” I smirked and a smile broke on his face. “First door on the left.”

The whole room seemed to sigh in relief when he left and I rubbed my forehead. I noticed Min staring up at the window across from me and hesitantly my eyes traveled to it. I couldn't see anything, but the blackness outside, but something—a tingle down my spine—told me he watching.

 

---------------

Honest feedback is always appreciated!