Alone at Last

Catch Me

Every hope that UKnow was dead came crashing down at the sound of his voice on the other line. That overconfident and smug demeanor was heard. At first, I was in so much furious shock that I didn't respond to his haughty greeting.

“UKnow,” I finally said with a tight lipped response. “I see you didn't bleed to death.”

“No thanks to your friend K,” he said. “You aimed quite well though, Detective. I was impressed.”

“So did you,” I admitted.

“I apologize for the foul play, but I couldn't let you catch me just yet.”

“What do you want?”

“Getting right to the point again.” There was a hint of a smile in his voice. “But its more what you want. Your friend...Kim Junsu...?”

“I swear to God if you hurt him I will ing destroy you,” I growled. “You leave him out of this.”

“Oh, I will. But you have to do something for me.”

I paused, swallowing the lump in my throat and fighting the urge to just throw the phone across alleyway. “Name it.”

“So cooperative today,” he snickered. “First, you do not say a word about this to anyone. Not even your brother behind you.” I turned slightly to see Jaejoong standing at the entrance to the alley, his face shrouded in shadow. “No one is to know, but you and your new partner, Park Yoochun. Because Shim apparently doesn't know how wonderful of a woman he had beside him.”

“Out with it, UKnow.”

He chuckled. “Promise me.” There was playful ring to his tone that made me want to gag.

“I promise,” I grumbled. “Now on with it.”

“Come to Itaewon—121st street, third building, right side of the street at six sharp tomorrow night. I'm sure your partner knows the area. You come and get your friend and we'll talk further business. If you bring anyone else with you or try anything, you bring your friend back in a body bag. Am I understood?” The way he said it so lightly, yet with such baneful sincerity made my skin crawl.

“Yes, I understand.”

“Good. I can't wait for our date, Detective.” And he hung up.

I calmly put my phone back in my pocket and turned back to Jaejoong. Clearing my throat, I ran a hand through my hair and approached Jaejoong, trying to suppress my want to scream, cry, punch the ing wall.

“I'll call forensics to come out here and find anything they can,” I said. “Let's go back.”

“We need to keep looking,” Jaejoong said, his voice shook with the startle at what my suggestion.

“No,” I said. “Its obvious that he's been kidnapped, mugged...Leave this to me.” I was dancing around details, making little sense. Hopefully, Jaejoong wouldn't catch on that something wasn't horribly amiss and start asking for answers.

The drive back home was quiet, but I saw Jaejoong's consistent sideways glances in my direction that were illuminated by the dashboard light. I kept my own eyes ahead the entire way, the wheels in my head turning full throttle. Was I to listen to UKnow's directions and go alone or to pay them no heed and go in guns blazing. UKnow would keep his promise about Junsu in a body bag, I knew this was certain. He wasn't one to be tested because underneath that light tone was something far more sinister.

Image

Park said very little when I explained the situation to him. His eyes simply narrowed, skin crinkling between his dark orbs. When I finished talking, silence followed as we both delved into thought, I waited for him to make a move.

“I'm guessing you want to go in solo like UKnow suggested?”

I nodded. “I can't risk losing Junsu. His directions were simple; I know he won't hurt him unless I overstep my boundaries.”

“Do you know that for sure?”

“Nothing is for certain, Park,” I said, “but that's my best guess.”

Park looked at his watch. “Ten hours.”

“I understand if you're not with me on this, but UKnow asked for you specifically.”

“Do you think he wants me dead?”

“No,” I said. “He would have killed you by now.”

“Comforting,” he sighed. “But, yes, I'll join you on this.”

“Thank you.”

The next nine hours ticked by with excruciating slowness. I couldn't work, couldn't think straight, or on anything except what was to come. Park moved about the office as if nothing was happening and I made a mental note to ask him how he remained so damn calm.

We timed it right, passed busy traffic, and made our way into Itaewon. The drive was quiet and tense. I felt like tearing my hair from its roots. Breathing was becoming difficult. Doubts filled my mind. What if UKnow was lying and Junsu was already dead? What if he killed Park?

What if what if what if what if...

“Turn here,” Park's voice startled me and I was sharp in following the order.

I took in a shaky breath and muttered a small apology as we to 121st street. The building was in a sight. A small apartment complex with boarded windows and deteriorating exterior. All the buildings were in the same shape up and down the street.

I parked the car along the street, in front of the building, and almost immediately my phone buzzed.

“Good work, Detective. You're very punctual,” UKnow praised gleefully. “Both of you get out of the car. Slowly, now.” I gestured to Park and our doors opened for us to step out into the street. “Good, now both of you come to the front of the car, hands visible. Well done. Now I want you to come up to the door and come on in. Leave Park there. Tell him if he moves, he dies.”

“Don't move,” I said. Park looked at me reluctantly.

“That's not what I said, Detective.”

“Don't move...or you die.”

“Good, now march forward, Detective.” I did as instructed, heart pounding fearfully in my chest as I ascended the small set of steps. “Now open the door.” My hand turned the knob and the door creaked open. Dank air met my nostrils. “Now come on in. Close the door behind you, please.”

The door sounded like a cell grate crashing shut. My phone slid into my jacket pocket. I was standing in a narrow entry way with a set of stairs on the left that went up. The entry way led into a large room with high windows that let in little light. And in that room was a chair with Junsu seated upon it, a dark figure behind him.

“Come in, Detective. Don't be shy.” UKnow's voice echoed off the dust-caked walls. My footsteps were thunderous as I continued inside and advanced slowly into the room.

Getting closer, I saw the state that Junsu was in. His head was hung nearly to his chest, but I saw the blood drying on his ashen skin. His eyes were heavy-lidded and horribly blood shot as they stared at a small patch of floor in front of him.

“What did you do to him?” I demanded, my voice cracking.

UKnow chuckled and my eyes snapped to him. He was the same as before. Well dressed, hair mussed, and confident grin. “Calm down. I gave him a sedative to keep him quiet. No harm done.”

“No harm done?” I growled. “You beat him!”

“In order to get information,” UKnow said. “But you should be pleased, Detective. You pick friends with strong tongues and an immense amount of loyalty.”

I sneered. “Fine, I'm here. Give him to me.”

UKnow snickered and I knew this was far from over. “We're not in a rush now, are we?” He tisked. “Detective, this isn't about your little friend here.” He poked Junsu in the side of the head which sent it lolling to the side. “Its about you—”

“No !” I snapped. “Now what do you want?”

“You,” he said, a low growl encasing his usual light tone. “All I ever wanted out of this was you.”

“Yeah, well...”

“Hold your tongue, Detective,” the psychopath said, raising a hand. “Here's my deal. You take your friend to your partner outside. Hand him over and come back to me. Its that simple.”

“And if I don't?”

“Then, you've got two body bags on your hands.” The gun was lifted from the holster under UKnow's arm. He gestured to Junsu with it then in the direction behind me. “Try something funny and its you that you wish I'd killed.” I grit my teeth. “Didn't think I knew your weakness, did you? You're not afraid to die, Detective. I've seen it in your eyes. But being responsible for those few that you actually care about, to be held responsible for their death...that's what you fear. To lose the man who loves you...” He gestured to Junsu again with his gun and I stiffened, “would be pure hell and insanity for you.” He grinned, a wicked flash of teeth. “Act wisely.”

We stood in such a tense silence that the hairs on my arms began to raise. Eyes in a deadlock until it was finally I who blinked. “Fine,” I answered through clenched teeth. “Just let Junsu go.”

“Excellent.” UKnow reached into his pocket and presented a key which he threw to me. “Let him loose.”

Eyes locked on UKnow, I moved slowly to the back of the chair where Junsu's bloodied wrists were handcuffed behind him. He'd struggled—it was obvious by the lacerations along the soft tissue above his hands. My heart was crumbling as I undid the cuffs, quick to move forward to stop Junsu from face planting.

“Come on, Junsu,” I murmured, hoisting his heavy body to his feet. He stumbled along, dragging feet and trying to gain a footing that wasn't there. Only a glimpse of his mind aware. His weight heavy against my body.

I could feel UKnow right behind us as I opened the door with a freed hand and began to trek outside. “Remember: nothing funny.”

Park's shoulders relaxed as I brought Junsu down the steps uncertainly. He was unsure if he should move or not and I was glad he didn't.

I shook my head when Park offered to take Junsu from me, my arm instinctively tightening around my friend's waist. Park opened the door and I dropped Junsu in the backseat, adjusting his legs and closing the door.

“Get him to a hospital,” I ordered.

“What do you mean?” He'd caught it.

“I won't be coming with you.”

Park's eyes hardened and he opened his mouth to retaliate, but I was quick to interfere. “UKnow wants me to stay; he threatened to kill you both and he will. Don't worry,” I said. “I can handle this. Just take care of him.” My eyes flickered to the backseat.

“I cannot leave you with that lunatic.”

“Park, you have to,” I said. “Come with backup. I'll be fine.”

“Detective...” The sing-songy voice floated through the air towards us and I bristled.

“Thank you, Park. For everything.” And I retreated back into the building, Park's worried face the last thing in my vision before the door shut in my face.

Suddenly, my body was careened into one of the crumbling walls. Debris fell atop my head and I squinted my eyes, coughed. A large, malicious weight pressed against my body. When my eyes peeked open I was face to face with UKnow, that disgusting grin on his lips as his face lay inches from mine.

He ran a gloved hand down my face and chuckled. “Finally,” he hissed, moving his voice to my ear. “We're alone at last.”

 

----

Thank you for the continual support, everyone!