Ch.6

To Be Enjoyed

 

They both felt their breath hot against each other’s skin, the heat between the younger’s lips and the older’s cheek almost unbearable but neither moved.  “We should go home,” the Seunghyun whispered.  The other nodded in agreement and pulled back, pausing briefly only to look into his eyes, and stepped out of the car to call the driver. 

Seunghyun leaned back and sighed, a mixture of tiredness and being completely overwhelmed.  Despite trying to push everything out of his mind, the truth was that he had been trying to figure out what the hell had been going on between him and Dongwook lately in a very short amount of time.  That alone was enough to make anybody’s head hurt without adding copious amounts of alcohol and loud music.  It was too much to suddenly acknowledge something was different and then do nothing but deal with it in one day.  How did it go from him peacefully napping on his hyung’s shoulder, feeling as comfortable as he would any other day in the past, to things being so undeniably intense between them for no apparent reason? 

“Ready?”  The chauffer and the older had reappeared at the car, door swung open, waiting for Seunghyun to nod in assent.  Dongwook slid into the car and carefully settled himself into the corner without even being close to the younger, something they were both acutely aware of.  Neither made a move to even try to act normal and rode in silence all the way back to the villa.  It wasn’t until they were inside the door that Seunghyun broke the silence.

“You should stay here tonight, hyung.”

“It’s not that late.”

“But you’re drunk.”

“I’m not that drunk.”

“You’re drunk enough that driving isn’t an option.”

Seunghyun’s tone was strong and made it clear he was not going to allow his hyung to leave, so Dongwook nodded in agreement and plopped onto the couch because he wasn’t sleepy at all.  It wouldn’t be the first time he stayed over. 

The younger began walking down the hall to his bedroom when he turned his head slightly and called out, “Do you want to come change?  I have a lot of clean pajamas you can choose from.”  The older nodded and willed himself off the couch to follow the other into the bedroom.  Again, this was definitely not a first. 

What was a first was feeling awkward walking into Seunghyun’s bedroom and taking his clothes, wondering if he was going to sleep in the guestroom for the first time tonight.  He convinced himself he probably would and that it was most likely for the best even if it made already confusing situation more difficult.  He took the first pajama set he found and walked into the bathroom to change, taking his time because he didn’t quite know what to expect once he was out.  When he finally couldn’t put it off any longer he stepped out and suddenly had the idea to make his way to the guest bedroom in order to put his stuff down.  As soon as he had reached the chair next to the bed, where he was intent on placing his things, he heard a voice from behind him.

“What are you doing?”

“Setting my things down.  Sorry, I didn’t think you would mind,” he said without turning.

“But why are you putting your things there?”

Oh, thought the older, .  Did I just create an awkward situation?  “I-” he began but was cut off by a long, lean arm reaching around him and taking his bag from him.  He turned to see Seunghyun walking out the door and back into his own bedroom where he dropped the bag on the side of the bed where Dongwook usually slept. 

The older leaned against the doorway looking at the younger with confusion, a hint of relief present, and gulped when the other addressed him. 

“Do you want to watch a movie?  I’m tired but not very sleepy.” 

The older nodded in agreement but didn’t move because he was unsure if they were going to the living room or staying in the bedroom.  His question was answered by the younger hopping onto his bed and powering on the television, turning to look at him expectantly.  Okay, you’ve watched movies in his bedroom hundreds of times.  It’s just like any other night.  There is absolutely no reason to be awkward.  Stop making things awkward.  He walked over to the bed and swept his bag onto the floor before carefully sitting against the headboard, legs stretched in front of him, and as far from the younger as possible without being too obvious. 

But, apparently, he was too obvious because the younger sighed and turned his attention to the television with an odd expression.  It almost looked like he was sad.  Dongwook’s hand twitched, as he was about to instinctively reach over to him, but stopped himself before that was clear. 

“What do you want to watch?” 

The older looked to the list displayed on the television and shrugged, “They all look decent.  Whatever you want.” 

Seunghyun nodded and selected the first on the list and brought up his knee to drop his arm on it as the movie began.  The atmosphere was almost painfully awkward because the two would not usually be sitting in silence and much less so far apart.  That’s when Dongwook felt the sadness reflected on the younger’s face surge through him- things seemed irrevocably different in a way that suggested a friendship that would never be as great as it once was.  And he blamed it all on himself.  Why did I have to kiss him?  What was I even thinking doing that?  And why did I behave so intimately at the bar tonight?  I’ve ruined everything

He didn’t realize his head was hanging, upset written clearly on his face, and the younger watching him attentively until a hand wrapped around his forearm causing him to look up.  He turned to face the other, wondering how long he had been watching him.  “This is really unnecessary,” the younger repeated his own words back to him. 

“You keep telling me the things I’ve told you.”

“I think you need to hear them this time.” 

“I- I do.  But….”

“It’s unnecessary,” the younger whispered in something that sounded like defeat as he gently squeezed his arm. 

What exactly is unnecessary?  He wanted to ask what Seunghyun was referring to and what he meant by it but decided against it.  It was lucky enough he felt comfortable enough touching him after, well, everything.  He responded to the touch by crossing his free arm over his legs and placing his hand on top of the younger’s. 

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“Everything.”

“That’s very vague hyung.”

“Well what do you want me to say?”

The younger made to slip his hand out from between the older’s arm and hand because that last question had come out a bit more hostile than he intended.  Dongwook quickly grasped the younger’s hand to keep it in place and said, “I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean for it to come out that way.”  Seunghyun simply nodded unable to meet his gaze.  He squeezed and shook his hand saying, “Seunghyun-ah.”  After a minute the younger finally looked up with a heartbreaking expression behind his usually intense gaze.  Dongwook couldn’t help himself; he lurched forward and wrapped his arms around the younger in an apology. 

It was an apology for the hostility that had just occurred, for crossing the line earlier, for the first kiss that should never have happened, for potentially ruining their beautiful friendship.  He was relieved beyond words when the younger responded to his hug by wrapping his own arms around his torso and squeezing tightly as if he were afraid Dongwook was about to run away.

“I’m sorry Seunghyun-ah.”

“First you’re thankful and now you’re sorry.  What’s going on hyung?”

But the way he asked the second question made it clear he was asking what was going on between them rather than just with Dongwook’s mood or words.  The older sighed because he didn’t have an answer, much less any comforting words.  “I don’t know.”

“Neither do I.”  The older was taken aback at the honesty in his dongsaeng’s words and tone.  He had not even expected a response.  All he could do was hug him tighter and lean his head onto his shoulder as the other did the same.             

 

A/N: Hello everyone!  Sorry it has taken me so long to update, I got unexpectedly busy recently.  I hope I can update more regularly but with the holidays it is a bit difficult.  I will try my best though!  I'd like to thank all the readers and subscribers, as well as those who have commented, for taking the time to read my story.  It only gets more interesting from here so I hope you continue to enjoy it!  (=^_^=)