To the Beautiful you (아름다운 그대에게) episode 9

To the Beautiful you (아름다운 그대에게) RECAP

 

Jae Hee must have the attention span of a three-year old, because just as Eun Gyul’s about to say something important, she gets distracted by the meteor shower and completely forgets that her friend was speaking - which is quite ridiculous because the shower already started a while back and she’s just noticing them now.

She closes her eyes and wishes on a star as Eun Gyul lovingly gazes at her.

Hannah and Tae Jun also notice the stars as they head back to Seoul.

Eun Gyul asks about Jae Hee’s wish, which was to have Tae Jun jump higher and higher.

Eun Gyul gets a bit jealous, saying that all Jae Hee thinks is about her roommate. Jae Hee reveals that she’s crossed the ocean for Tae Jun, since he’s been such a huge help in her life.

Finally remembering that Eun Gyul had something to say, Jae Hee urges Eun Gyul to speak up, but he pretends to have forgotten. Eun Gyul carefully asks if she would have traveled across the ocean for him and he beams when Jae Hee says she probably would have.

The moment is ruined when Jae Hee smells something burning. Eun Gyul tries to say his heart is burning, when he realizes the only thing burning are his shoes by the fire. They blow the smoke away and laugh about it.

In Seoul, Hannah’s whining says that Tae Jun’s ready to go to Canada, but Tae Jun reassures her that nothing’s confirmed. He then asks Hannah why she likes him so much and she replies that he’s the only guy she’s really known. He thanks her - not for liking him, but for telling him about the Canada deal. Hannah pouts, disappointed.

 

 

The next day at school, Eun Gyul comes with a spiffy new haircut, which Jae Hee doesn’t recognize but approves. It turns out that it’s the same hairstyle that Jae Hee said was nice when she saw it in a magazine.

Tae Jun’s still conflicted about Coach Holten’s offer to train him in Canada. Apparently, the coach made up his mind after seeing a certain email, which means Jae Hee isn’t completely incompetent and did send it out to the right person after all.

Before class, Jong Min tells Eun Gyul about a ert who tried to kidnap a girl from Serin High School but failed and is still out there somewhere. This story makes Tae Jun’s ears perk up.

 

 

Jae Hee’s playing basketball with the other boys, and Tae Jun takes this opportunity to become a stalker and take pictures of her. But when she sees him, he pretends to be taking a picture of something else.

After basketball, the boys head back to the dorm. Jae Hee realizes that she left her phone at the courts and heads back, when suddenly a white convertible pulls up and a man drags her into the car.

 

 

Jae Hee’s freaked out and tries to open the car door, but alas! it’s locked! (It’s a freaking convertible. Jump out. Your life is at risk!!)

The mysterious man then drives off, leaving Tae Jun, Eun Gyul, and Seungri in confusion, until Tae Jun remembers Jong Min’s story about the kidnapping ert and begins chasing after the car.

Jae Hee asks what the mystery man is doing and he nonchalantly replies that he’s kidnapping her. He takes off his sunglasses and it’s only then when Jae Hee recognizes him as John - one of her friends from America.

But before they can chit chat, Tae Jun catches up with the car, pulls John out, and punches him in the face, asking if Jae Hee was all right in the process. Jae Hee explains that she knows him, startling Tae Jun.

 

 

At a cafe, John and Jae Hee catch up as he asks about how she’s keeping up with her masquerade.

We flashback into the past, where Jae Hee’s begging John to help forge her transcript. (So John was the brain behind the nonsensical transcript we saw in episode 1.)

John sees that Jae Hee’s cut her hair and is serious about going to Korea. He has a weak heart and agrees to help her.

Back in Korea, John tells her how much he regrets helping her and gets touchy, pinching her cheeks. Tae Jun sees and fumes in jealousy.

Jae Hee asks why John came to Korea, and John straightforwardly says because he’s missed her. Jae Hee spits out her drink and both men wipe her down, but John is a bit faster than Tae Jun. As the conversation deepens, Tae Jun gets angrier and angrier.

Then John drops the bomb and reveals that he was Jae Hee’s first love and probably first kiss. Kyaaaaaaa~

Tae Jun’s first shocked at the big revealing, then he jealously munches on ice as Jae Hee looks for his reaction.

 

 

Back in the dorm, Eun Gyul’s under a lot stress, wondering if he should just be bold and confess.

He imagines the scenario and it plays out dramatically as he says he loves Jae Hee and leans into kiss her...but unfortunately, Jae Hee reports him to the police and he gets taken away.

Scenario number two.
Eun Gyul announces that he’s become a national soccer player. Seungri and Tae Jun lament at not being worthy of being in Eun Gyul’s presence. Eun Gyul asks Jae Hee to date him now and Jae Hee complies.

Jae Hee, John, and Tae Jun are ready to go back to school, when Tae Jun gets a message from Director Jang and excuses himself, leaving John and Jae Hee to really catch up.

John asks if Tae Jun really doesn’t know Jae Hee’s a girl, since there’s no way for a guy not to notice something strange after living together for such a long time. That’s what we’re saying. John is smart. Jae Hee...not so much.

Jae Hee denies that Tae Jun suspects anything, but John claims that men have a sixth sense when it comes to sensing a woman’s presence. Jae Hee says no again, saying John and Tae Jun are completely different. Wrong again, Jae Hee. Boys will be boys.

Jae Hee notes that John’s always thinking about women while Tae Jun doesn’t.
John has a moment of hesitation after being caught, but corrects her saying, “It’s not women, but one woman.”

Oh la la~ Is this going in the direction we think it’s going?

 

 

In Director Jang’s office, Tae Jun sits down with her discuss the Canada plans. He promises that he’ll consider it seriously. Back in the dorm, he continues to research on it, when he suddenly goes upstairs to Jae Hee’s part of the room.

She’s twisting and turning in bed, calling out his name and telling him not to eat it all.

He smiles and tucks her in.

He sits by her side, asking if he should go to Canada, especially since Jae Hee’s worked so hard to get him this opportunity.

The next day in class, Jae Hee’s focused in class, until she sees John outside the classroom window. She shouts out a “What the-” and the teacher, ticked off by her rudeness, tells Jae Hee to stand in the back of the classroom.

 

 

But even there, Jae Hee see John at the window and can’t help but to smile as John makes silly faces. Tae Jun also notices John and sneers.

Jae Hee sits with John at the cafe, and he tells her he’s here before he misses her and gets all touchy again, this time pinching her cheeks and patting her on the head.

Jae Hee’s two men, Tae Jun and Eun Gyul both perk up at the actions and stare a hole into John’s head. They stomp out.

John’s actually at the school on business, meeting with the dean, who introduces him as John Park. John corrects him as John Kim. He’s there to take pretty pictures of the students in their natural state to make pretty memories.

 

 

John chases down the students and takes photos of them. When Tae Jun notices that he’s being photographed, he asks John to not take pictures of him. John argues back saying he’s gotten permission to take pictures of all the students.

They verbally fight back and forth, until Jae Hee arrives and asks John not to take pictures of Tae Jun. John tells her to stop taking Tae Jun’s side or else he’ll pout.

Jae Hee takes John away as Seungri has a not-so-good feeling about John.

On his way home, Tae Jun notices a streetlamp that goes out (SYMBOLISM?)

 

 

Back at the dorm, he can’t take his mind off of Jae Hee with John and wonders what they could possibly be doing at that hour.

His mind wanders and he imagines them kissing and freaks out. He starts heading out when Jae Hee enters. She asks if he’s going somewhere and Tae Jun plays it cool, saying he’s just coming in.

He starts asking questions about what she did with John and she apologizes for John’s immaturity. Tae Jun brushes it off cooly, but continues to fume in jealousy when he heads to the bathroom. He’s uncertain why he’s so upset about John’s visit.

John’s secretary is informing him of his schedule the next day. John asks for some free time in the afternoon, since he has a date. The secretary nods, and John smiles.

 

 

In the morning, Tae Jun comes back from practice to hear Jae Hee on the phone with John, who wants a tour of Seoul.

When Tae Jun finds out that John and Jae Hee are going on a tour, just the two of them, Tae Jun says Jae Hee doesn’t know anything either and volunteers himself as a guide.

“I just want to make sure Seoul gets exposed properly.”

He’s not the only one, as Eun Gyul’s determined to tag along, since Jae Hee has no clue about Seoul and Tae Jun’s never really experienced Seoul due to his training schedule. Eun Gyul doesn’t want Seoul to be introduced wrongly.

When the three of them show up, John doesn’t approve. He asked for a tour of Seoul, not a school field trip to Seoul.

The four of them tour around Seoul, each one fascinated in every little thing as John takes photos of every moment.

They end up in a cafe. Jae Hee orders an orange juice, and Eun Gyul and Tae Jun get the same thing. But when John orders an espresso, both boys quickly change their minds and get an espresso as well.

 

 

John grins, seeing exactly what these boys are doing.

When their drinks come out, Tae Jun and Eun Gyul have no idea what they’re doing as they sip the bitter espressos. Tae Jun holds up a cool image, withstanding the bitter taste, but for Eun Gyul, he takes a big gulp of Jae Hee’s juice, not understanding why people drink such thing.

After the tour, they head to John’s studio, where he needs to take care of a photo shoot. He tells them to stick around for a little.

Taking this opportunity, Tae Jun scopes out some of John’s photos, greatly impressed by them. Then he uncovers a veiled photo, revealing a picture of Jae Hee with a brght smile. Tae Jun smiles along with her.

 

 

John interrupts Tae Jun’s moment of happiness, saying he’s known her since she was a kid but haven’t seen her smile as brightly as she does in the photo, because of her depression.

“Until she found out about you.”

Tae Jun begins walking away, when John stops him.

“You know Jae Hee’s a girl, but why are you just pretending to not know?”
Tae Jun face doesn’t change at all, as John asks what he thinks of Jae Hee.

Before we can hear Tae Jun’s answer, an assistant comes to inform John that they’re ready for the shoot.

 

 

Back in school, Seungri is muttering to himself that a certain girl on his phone is really pretty. Oh no. Seungri has a crush on Hannah.

Just then, a backpack get thrown over the stairwell, and before Seungri even know what’s going on, Hannah makes an impressive landing right next to him - wind dramatically blowing her hair away.

Hannah nonchalantly gets up, as Seungri manages to stutter out that she’s not supposed to be here. He repeats the dorm rules, which Hannah insults.

Inside his head, Seungri beats himself up for even briefly thinking Hannah was an angel.

Hannah says she’ll be seeing Tae Jun and then get off campus shortly. When Seungri goes to argue, a romantic pink washes over his eyes as Hannah makes googly eyes at him.

He doesn’t recover fast enough and Hannah walks off to find Tae Jun.

Too bad for Hannah, Tae Jun’s nowhere near campus.

 

 

At the photo studio, a problem occurs when some of the models suddenly cancel and they’re in need of two men.

John gazes at Tae Jun and Eun Gyul, and the next thing you know, they’re in front of the camera, posing with other models as Jae Hee watches in glee.

As Tae Jun poses in front of the camera, Eun Gyul wonders how John convinced Tae Jun to be the model.

It turns out Jae Hee has asked him for a favor to be a model and even without a moment’s hesitation, Tae Jun agrees.

Which is why Tae Jun is wearing no shirt under his blazer.

John asks Tae Jun to look as if he’s gazing at the woman he loves (although the kind of direction seems kind of random in this kind of setting....but okay. John’s the boss).

Tae Jun’s a little startled and struggles.

But as John continues to tell Tae Jun to think of someone, his expression starts getting more comfortable.

 

 

On the ride back, Jae Hee coughs and both Tae Jun and John reach for their sweater and blankets. Too bad Tae Jun, John is faster. John looks back to check Tae Jun’s reaction.

At the dorms, Jae Hee is stil coughing and Tae Jun checks her fever. She promises she’s okay and Tae Jun agrees since idiots don’t catch colds. But once inside the bathroom, he glances at his hand which he used to check Jae Hee’s temperature.

The next day, Eun Gyul is working twice as hard on the soccer field, worrying his coach.

Eun Gyul tells him that he wants to get on the national team.

The coach asks if Eun Gyul’s doing it for him, and Eun Gyul insists it’s not.

The coach laughs and says, “Why are you smacking me on the back of my head?” as in betraying him.

Eun Gyul says he would never do that and kicks a soccer ball, which then bounces off the goalpost and hits the coach, directly on the back of his head. This poor coach. He just can’t get a break.

 

 

Being the unofficial advisor of Genie High School, Doctor Jang gets a visit from Tae Jun, who’s unsure of what to do about Coach Holten. He knows that it’s the right thing to do to go to Canada, but he’s still undecided.

Doctor Jang smiles and says, “Don’t make the problem complicated, but just look at it with ease. If you don’t want to go to Canada where Coach Holten is, then isn’t the answer obvious? There must be something more important than Coach Holten, right here.”

Tae Jun returns to his room, resounding what Doctor Jang said to him. He sits at his bed when he’s greeted by Jae Hee in a dark room. The light bulb’s out and Jae Hee gets on a stool to replace it.

As Tae Jun watches Jae Hee, John’s comment about Tae Jun ignoring Jae Hee’s true identity and Doctor Jang’s advice rings in his ears.

He gets up and without a word, hugs Jae Hee from the back.

Jae Hee looks down at Tae Jun, unsure of what’s going on. Tae Jun, finally waking up from his daze, removes himself from her and apologizes that he slipped.

He heads outside to clear his head, leaving Jae Hee with a cloud of confusion.

She wonders if Tae Jun knows she’s a girl, but she rejects the idea.

 

 

John is working on the photos from earlier in the day and is quite impressed with Tae Jun’s expressions. He zooms in to Tae Jun’s eyes to see what he’s staring at and sees Jae Hee’s reflection inside. (Excuse us as we laugh at the absurdity of this situation. Okay...maybe it’s possible - we’ve never tried, but we can’t help the laughter)

John’s a bit surprised, just as Tae Jun arrives at the studio.

Tae Jun admits that he knew Jae Hee was a girl. John asks why Tae Jun kept it a secret.

Tae Jun replies, “Now I want to keep her next to me.”
John smirks and throws a basketball at Tae Jun.

 

 

They take it to the court. The first person to make five points wins.
Both men say that they play rough and the game begins.

(We honestly feel like the music is more dramatic than the actual scene, which is quite not-so-fierce. The music’s an overkill.)

They take turns pushing each other and falling down on the ground.

John asks what Tae Jun means by wanting to keep Jae Hee by his side.
Tae Jun tells him to mind his own business and shoots a three-pointer.

John says it’s not, since Tae Jun stepped on the line.

“But I think I know how you feel...towards Gu Jae Hee, the girl.”

John stands his ground and says he’s not going to back down now that he knows how Tae Jun feels. John will take Jae Hee back to America.

 

 

In the middle of the night, Tae Jun wakes up to a Jae Hee, who doesn’t look too good.

She almost falls and Tae Jun catches her. He feels her forehead and a look of worry washes over his face.

She officially admits that she’s sick and Tae Jun has her lie in his bed.
He turns to go to the doctor’s office, when Jae Hee grabs his hand, asking him not to go.

Tae Jun sits by her side and aides her all throughout the night, trying to get her fever down.

 

 

Once inside, he begins to explain he really can’t hold it in, when he looks over to Tae Jun’s bed, and finds Tae Jun and Jae Hee in bed together.

Just then, Jae Hee and Tae Jun wake up and freak out, finding each other in the same bed.

Forgetting that he has major stomach issues, Eun Gyul’s jaw drops in shock.