To the Beautiful you (아름다운 그대에게) episode 11

To the Beautiful you (아름다운 그대에게) RECAP

 

Tae Jun’s pissed off to the max after Hannah’s televised announcement and bolts out of the dorm to argue. Jae Hee chases after him to at least think about it first before addressing the problem, but Tae Jun’s not having it.

Jae Hee finally slows him down by saying she has something important to say to him. When he asks what, she hesitates before saying, “I’m honestly…. I’m actually….”

She can’t get the words out and Tae Jun figures out what she’s going to say and stops her. He heads back to Hannah.

Everyone’s after Hannah, Tae Jun and Director Jang, but Hannah ignores everyone’s calls and useless manager just tells her to rest up.

Hannah gets dropped off at home (We thought there would be swarms of reporters by now in front of her house…but no), and Tae Jun’s there, waiting for her. He drags to her a coffee shop (Yeah…because he wants to be at a very public area to talk about this matter).

 

 

He demands an explanation from Hannah as she explodes asking what’s his deal with letting Jae Hee slide under the rocks with her fake identity.

She finally drops the bomb on him and asks if he likes Jae Hee. He doesn’t answer.

She gives him an ultimatum – either he dates her, or kicks Jae Hee out.

Jae Hee is getting counseling from Sangchoo again, wondering how angry Tae Jun will be if he found out that she was actually a girl. She confesses that she doesn’t have the courage to tell him the truth.

 

 

While all that is going on, Eun Gyul’s still super depressed and angry about failing to make it on the national junior team. He’s walking home, when he sees Jae Hee. He tries to walk the other direction, but Jae Hee takes notice.

Eun Gyul puts on a fake bright smile and lies that he did well on his test.
It’s then when he notices that she’s been crying, but she avoids the subject and leaves quickly. Eun Gyul lets out a deep sigh.

Jae Hee returns to her dorm, only to realize that it’s raining. She goes out with an umbrella and waits for Tae Jun.

When he finally comes, she runs to greet him.

That night, both Jae Hee and Tae Jun are twisting and turning, unable to sleep with so many thoughts and worries in their heads. So is Eun Gyul, and he doesn’t even know the drama that’s unfolding in front of him.

 

 

The Tae Jun-Hannah scandal is the new thing at school as everyone from random citizens to students is surprised by the announcement. Fangirls stage protests about the relationship, as Director Jang’s stressed out to the max.

Reporter Yang practically skips into the room and suggest that they both benefit from this issue.

Jae Hee and Tae Jun head towards class, when all the students they pass by shoot a nasty remark about Tae Jun’s dating scandal. (Is it just us, or do all the students at this school have issues? Why can’t people just be happy for each other without all the hate?)

But before Tae Jun can do anything about it, he gets summoned by Director Jang.

Jae Hee is in the laundry room, thinking about what happened with John.

 

 

Jae Hee finally called out John and he comes wearing his lucky hat.
John explains that his team has never lost a game when he wore this hat to a game. Jae Hee mutters that he’s not at a baseball game now, but he says Jae Hee’s here to tell him her answer.

Jae Hee suddenly gets uncomfortable, and noticing that, John takes off his hat and puts it down on the table.

“I feel like I need to listen to this without my hat on.”
(Do you hear that? That′s the sound of our hearts tearing into pieces.)

Jae Hee begins by saying John’s like her older brother, and John rightfully cuts her off, saying his heart’s telling him to take it easy (sob sob).

Jae Hee apologizes and John jokes, telling her to pay him back with money.

She finally breaks a small smile, and John reminds her that he’s always on her side.

(And we cry….because we’ll never see John’s face in this drama anymore).

 

 

Eun Gyul passes by and decides to cheer her up with a special sock puppet show. She laughs when she notices (and we cringe at the stinky socks on his hands. No, we kid. But not really).

Despite his smiles, Eun Gyul’s still going through a hard time, as Jae Hee reveals that Eun Gyul didn’t come to class. Eun Gyul lies about it and Jae Hee doesn’t question anymore.

The laundry timer rings and Eun Gyul helps to unload the clothes, when he realizes that Tae Jun’s clothes are also mixed in with hers.

He’s noticing a pattern here, and his face falls.

He finally brings up the courage to ask if Jae Hee likes Tae Jun.
Jae Hee’s startled at the sudden question, and says that Eun Gyul’s crazy. He says he’s just joking and Jae Hee scolds him before leaving. Eun Gyul’s smile fades, knowing he wasn’t joking.

On his way to Director Jang’s office, Tae Jun meets with Hannah, who threatens him to tell Director Jang the truth, because if he does, Hannah will also tell the truth about Jae Hee.

Director Jang rips the two to shreds, but Hannah promises that they thought long and hard over this, and it’s really Hannah’s fault more than Tae Jun. Hannah then uses to her aegyo to avoid the spanking.

The entire time, Tae Jun doesn’t say a word.

Students are still chatting about Tae Jun and Hannah’s new relationship status, when Eun Gyul finally hears about it. He realizes that why Jae Hee has been in low spirits and he quickly heads out.

Hannah receives a text from Jae Hee, asking to meet up.

 

 

The person Eun Gyul runs to isn’t Jae Hee, but Eun Gyul.

He straightforwardly asks Tae Jun what he thinks about Jae Hee and if he likes her.

Tae Jun’s startled, but doesn’t say anything at first. Then he denies the claims, making Eun Gyul push further.

“If you’re dating Hannah, why can’t you give a straight answer?”

Tae Jun once again is caught off-guard by Eun Gyul’s forwardness and tries to walk away when Eun Gyul warns Tae Jun to stop making Jae Hee cry.

“I don’t want to see the person I like cry anymore.”

Insert Tae Jun’s surprised face.

Then Eun Gyul boldly states, “I like Gu Jae Hee. So watch yourself and stop shaking other people’s hearts.”

And this is why we LOVE Eun Gyul.

 

 

Hannah meets up with Jae Hee.

Jae Hee starts off by apologizing, which Hannah doesn’t care for.
Jae Hee finally asks why Hannah hasn’t told Tae Jun yet. Hannah replies back saying that’s her business. She instead asks Jae Hee why Jae Hee’s living with Tae Jun in the first place.

Hannah stands up to leave, when Jae Hee asks for a favor.
Jae Hee starts to ask Hannah not to tell Tae Jun that she’s a girl, but Hannah flips the table and says until Hannah gives permission, Jae Hee is still a boy. And Jae Hee, like the powerless, obedient puppy that she is, doesn’t say anything.

Tae Jun’s at home, staring at the clock and also thinking about Eun Gyul’s confession, when Jae Hee comes home.

He questions where she’s been, telling her that things are dangerous out there.

 

 

Jae Hee walks away, apologizing, and Tae Jun rushes to continue the conversation.

Jae Hee turns around abruptly, and before we know it, Tae Jun’s hand is on Jae Hee’s chest.

Jae Hee suddenly yelps out in pain as Tae Jun dashes out, saying he’s going to exercise. But outside of the room, he takes a breather as Jae Hee checks her calendar to see if it’s that time of the month yet (no wonder she was so cranky in the previous episode).

And where does she go in the middle of the night for her period pains…. Dr. Jang.

 

 

She asks if he has any ‘sanitary pads,’ and when Dr. Jang figures out what she needs, he sigh unbelievably, asking if he has to do things like that for her now.

Tae Jun returns from ‘exercising’ and hands her some meds for her ‘upset’ stomach.

Jae Hee beams at the gesture.

Later, both of them smile silently in their respectful beds.

Seungri and Jong Min are waiting for Eun Gyul in his dorm room, laughing hard over a comic book and complaining. Hyun Jae’s had enough and tells both of them to leave because they’re getting in the way of his study time (GASP. PEOPLE ACTUALLY STUDY IN THIS SCHOOL!)

 

 

Seungri promises to leave after finishing up the comic book. He keels over laughing, then suddenly, actually cries in pain over his stomach.

The next day, Tae Jun confides to Sangchoo that he can’t be swept away by Hannah anymore and decides that he needs to find a different solution to this problem.

 

 

He texts that he’s coming to see her, and Hannah’s mind gets clouded as she practices. Thoughts of Tae Jun sticking up for Jae Hee catch up to Hannah and she lands on her ankle and falls to the ground.

Tae Jun returns to the dorm when Hannah doesn’t pick up. He asks Jae Hee to join him instead for dinner when the phone rings. The news of Hannah travels into Tae Jun’s ears.

Tae Jun dashes to the hospital and gets pulled away by Director Jang for a little talk.

Following the talk, Tae Jun finally heads into Jae Hee’s room.

He starts up some small talk as if nothing’s wrong, when Hannah asks what he needed to talk to her about.

 

 

The conversation with Director Jang floats in, explaining that Hannah’s ankle sprain is a lot more serious than it appears and it may even end her career. Hannah doesn′t know yet.

Director Jang stresses over what could have possibly distracted Hannah during practice to cause this injury and guilt washes over Tae Jun’s face.

Tae Jun can’t get the words out and instead changes the subject.
He decides to sleep over, wanting to make Hannah feel at ease.

In the dorm, Jae Hee can’t sleep because Tae Jun’s not back yet. She finally receives a text from him, saying he’ll be sleeping at the hospital.

 

 

As they get ready to sleep, Hannah expresses her wishes to do couple things with Tae Jun, like going to watch the movies together. Tae Jun excuses him to the bathroom, as Hannah sighs happily that it was a good thing that she got hurt, especially since all of Tae Jun’s attention is being poured on her.

But happy thoughts get squashed down, when a text message from Jae Hee gets sent to Tae Jun’s phone. Hannah reads the simple message, asking about Hannah and uncomfortable hospital beds, before erasing it altogether.

Tae Jun’s on his way to Hannah’s room, when he runs into Seungri.
It turns out his appendix ruptured and Seungri asks why Tae Jun’s visiting him at such a late hour. Tae Jun replies that he’s actually visiting a friend. Seungri gives off an awkward laugh to hide his disappointment when a doctor, who turns out to be Seungri’s father, interrupts them.

He drops Hannah’s name in the conversation and Seungri immediately becomes worried, throwing a hundred questions about her as his father drags him away to his room.

That night, Jae Hee and Tae Jun both stay up, fiddling with their phones, waiting for a text to come from both sides. It never does.

 

 

In the morning, Jae Hee wakes up to the sound of rustling. Tae Jun’s back and he’s packing his things into a backpack. He’ll be spending a couple more days with Hannah.

He explains that Hannah might not be able to play sports again. Jae Hee tells him to take care of herself. Tae Jun starts to say something, but quits halfway before leaving.

At school, the boys talk about how Tae Jun’s busy taking care of his girlfriend. Jong Min mentions that Eun Gyul’s absent from class again. Jae Hee just has her glum face, which we can’t tell anymore if it’s because of Tae Jun or because her best friend has been missing for a few days now.

Director Jang and Tae Jun stress out at the hospital, saying they have to tell Hannah the truth about her injury. Tae Jun volunteers to be the one to drop the bomb on her.

 

 

Jae Hee arrives at the hospital with a bouquet of flowers when Seungri calls her out, asking where everyone else is.

Jae Hee doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and he asks if she’s here representing everyone from the track team. When Jae Hee doesn’t give up the flowers, Seungri realizes that she’s not here to visit him. Jae Hee reveals that she’s here to see Hannah and Seungri sends her off, cursing her name and reminding himself to visit Hannah as well.

Tae Jun enters Hannah’s room with the most repeated sentence in this entire episodes, “I have something to tell you.”

Hannah looks up at him and Tae Jun hesitantly lets out the bad news.

Right on time, Jae Hee enters Hannah’s room to find Tae Jun comforting a devastated Hannah. Jae Hee quickly backs out of the room and starts leaving. She thinks back to the scene where Tae Jun is embracing Hannah.

Really? You’re jealous at a time like this? A girl just found out she’ll never be able to do what she loves doing and you’re jealous.

 

 

Depressed, Jae Hee spends the day cleaning when Hyun Jae enters the room asking if Jae Hee’s heard anything about Eun Gyul. Jae Hee replies no, and Hyun Jae gets even more worried, hoping Eun Gyul doesn’t do anything dumb after being rejected from the national team.

Jae Hee’s shocked to hear the news and Hyun Jae scolds Jae Hee for not even paying attention to Eun Gyul at all. (Finally someone who sees what a bad friend Jae Hee is to Eun Gyul!) Jae Hee finally decides it’s time to stop being selfish and Tae Jun-obsessed and asks Hyun Jae for Eun Gyul’s address.

Eun Gyul’s at home, playing with his puppy.

His mom asks if he’s ever going to go back to school, and Eun Gyul promises to the next day. Then he complains that he’s here because she’s sick. Mom replies that there’s nothing to worry about since the date’s been set. (for surgery? Is she dying?)

 

 

Just then the doorbell rings, and Jae Hee’s at the door.
They sit at the top of the hill, where Eun Gyul enjoys sitting to rid of all thoughts to calm himself.

Jae Hee brings up failing to make the national team and Eun Gyul gets embarrassed. He apologizes for not being honest, as Jae Hee apologizes back for not paying attention to him.

Eun Gyul shares that he came back home because his mom was sick and he lost his cellphone on the bus, but these reasons are all excuses because he was afraid and decided to run away.

He needed to check whether or not he was just delusional since he’s always run into these thoughts at school, but being away at home, he realized that he wasn’t crazy because those thoughts still remained.

He changes the subject to Tae Jun and Jae Hee announces Hannah’s injury. She wonders if she shouldn’t have come to Korea for Tae Jun.

Seeing Jae Hee so down in the dumps, Eun Gyul slides closer to put a comforting arm around her, he hesitates and takes his hand back. He lets a deep sigh.

 

 

In her room, Hannah watches rhythmic gymnast Son Yeon Jae in depression.
Tae Jun enters with food, but not for long, as Hannah sends him out to get some water.

When he’s gone, Hannah flips through Tae Jun’s phone and lands on the stalker picture of Jae Hee that Tae Jun took.

When Tae Jun returns, Hannah’s in even lower spirits.

She finally talks and asks Tae Jun why he suddenly had a change of heart and decided to jump in the qualifying match. “Was it because of Gu Jae Hee?”

Tae Jun doesn’t deny it, making Hannah more upset. She asks if he really has feelings for her and what he’ll do if Hannah doesn’t let him go.

Hannah cries that she’ll have nothing left if Tae Jun leaves and refuses to let him go. Tae Jun just sits there.

Eun Gyul looks out at the porch, watching Jae Hee play with his dog. He smiles.

Suddenly, Jae Hee gets sad again, seeing that Tae Jun hasn’t replied.

Eun Gyul says aloud, “Gu Jae Hee, I don’t think I can see you in pain anymore.”

 

 

Eun Gyul’s mother is preparing dinner, when Eun Gyul suddenly hugs her from the back.

He apologizes that he might do something to shame her in the future. Immediately, Mom asks if he’s caused an accident. When he says no, she asks if his grades came out or if he’s stolen money. Dad arrives just in time to hear the last bit and chases him down with a golf club, yelling at Eun Gyul that he wasn’t raised like that.

Back at the hospital, Hannah asks Tae Jun to take her somewhere.
They end up at a gym, where a competition played out earlier that day.

Tae Jun encourages her saying that if she goes through rehabilitation, she’ll be able to get back on her feet. Hannah says she really liked her routine this time and asks if Tae Jun wants to see it. She’ll be careful.

 

 

She gets out of the wheelchair and gets her ribbon out.

She struggles through the performance, as she thinks about her childhood with Tae Jun. We find out that she became a rhythmic gymnast because Tae Jun thought they were pretty. They promise each other to get a gold medal in their fields.

 

 

Finally, Hannah’s ankle gives out and she cries in despair, realizing that she’ll never fulfill that dream again.

She kisses the floor mat, thanking it for all those times. Then she bids farewell.

Eun Gyul and Jae Hee are headed back to school. Eun Gyul looks at Jae Hee, who stares out of the window with no expression on her face.

Tae Jun tucks Hannah back into her hospital bed, and confesses that he wants to tell her his honest feelings. Hannah cuts him off, telling him to go. She wants to be alone and adds that she’s tired of chasing after people who doesn’t like her. He’s also not good at sports and not as charming as before.

Guilt washes over Tae Jun’s face as Hannah says she doesn’t want him anymore and really doesn’t want to see his face anymore.

 

 

Eun Gyul and Jae Hee are back at the dorms.

Jae Hee’s about to go into her room, when Eun Gyul calls her out and says he has something to tell her (AGAIN, that sentence).

Jae Hee asks what, and Eun Gyul tells her not to be shocked.

“I know you’re a guy…”

Tae Jun enters the building and see Jae Hee talking with Eun Gyul.

Eun Gyul stares into Jae Hee’s eyes and says, “Gu Jae Hee, I like you.”

Jae Hee puts on a surprised face and the episode closes.