To the Beautiful you (아름다운 그대에게) episode 4

To the Beautiful you (아름다운 그대에게) RECAP

 

Tae Jun is walking around at the pension, when he notices that Seungri’s mother is unloading the groceries that Creeper went to go get with Jae Hee.

He asks if she sent Creeper to run an errand, and when she replies no, Tae Jun gets a bad feeling in his gut, and of course, takes off on his bicycle.

In the meantime, Creeper and Jae Hee are still driving and even though she notices a sign indicating a dead end, thinks that nothing is suspicious.

How are you going to pretend to be a boy if you have no thoughts in your head, Jae Hee?

But of course, Jae Hee only thinks about Tae Jun, and remembers that she didn′t ask him for his shoe size and asks to borrow Creeper′s phone. Shifty eyes commence, and Creeper lies that he forgot it - except Creeper is pretty dumb and his phone is pretty much in plain sight.

Jae Hee, for once, picks up on things and calls up Tae Jun, who′s bicycling over (in what direction?) - Tae Jun asks where she is and Jae Hee replies matter-of-factly that she just saw a sign that said the road was blocked. Creeper snatches the phone away and hangs up.

Jae Hee still doesn’t suspect anything and asks what’s wrong, when Creeper locks the car doors.

 

 

The van pulls up at a secluded area, where Creeper reveals that he knows she’s a girl. He pulls Jae Hee’s hand and tries to assault her before she pokes him in the eye, and manages to scramble out of the car.

Speedy Tae Jun is hot on their tail and sees the abandoned van, as Creeper′s left to chase Jae Hee.

Creeper finally catches up to Jae Hee and hits her (what??), with her bracelets falling into the puddle. In a disgusting turn of events, he dares her to scream, since there′s no on around, and Jae Hee ekes out a small cry for help.

Creeper does the job for her, yelling like a mad person, and all of a sudden, Tae Jun comes out of nowhere and kicks him to the ground.

The two get into a heavy scuffle where Tae Jun amazingly kicks his and is finally stopped by Jae Hee.

Creeper staggers away from the scene and drives off, crumbles Tae Jun’s bike in the process … (Seriously…that’s what’s going to happen to the attempted ? We disapprove.)

 

 

Jae Hee looks at Tae Jun with sad eyes and Tae Jun gives her a hug.
He apologizes for being late. Jae Hee says she can’t breathe and Tae Jun gets worried, but it’s only because Tae Jun hugged her too tightly.

(We’re a bit disturbed that this is how the staff decided to handle this almost scene. She gets punched, is almost ually assaulted and it′s all made better by Tae Jun′s hug? We get it, he′s supposed to be dreamy, but no.)

He gives her a piggy back ride and they head back.

Hannah and Eun Gyul are both worried about Tae Jun and Jae Hee, and continue bickering like the high school students they are.

Seungri’s mother asks if they’re having love quarrels and they both decline it fiercely. (Is that a clue to our future couples?)

Doctor Jang asks where Tae Jun and Jae Hee are and decides to hold a search party for them since they’ve been missing for so long.

Tae Jun and Jae Hee are now walking in the dark, feeling lost.

The cell phone battery runs out because they were using it as a flashlight (Really? Why didn’t they CALL someone to come pick them up instead of wasting the battery to use it as a flashlight?)

They slip off the road and fall.

 

 

The search party continues, each pair splitting up. Hannah and Eun Gyul are paired together against their will, but Doctor Jang says finding the lost sheep is more important at the moment.

The lost sheep are currently resting, with Tae Jun giving Jae Hee the bracelets that fell off earlier. Jae Hee, happy to see them, slips on onto Tae Juns′s arms - couple bracelets?

She asks why he started to high jump in the first place.

He avoids answering, but soon admits that it’s because it’s a royal sport, where he doesn’t have to get sweaty at all.

Jae Hee shares that she immigrated to the US after her father died and her mother remarried.

Tae Jun comments that it must have been hard to which Jae Hee replies, “It was okay, because of you.”

Uh, okay.

They continue into the woods, going back onto the more normal subject of Tae Jun high jumping.

She asks how Tae Jun feels when he is high jumping, which causes Tae Jun to remember his past when his mother asked him the same thing.

Young Tae Jun replies that he likes high jumping because he feels like he can touch the sky and Tae Jun’s mom likes it because of Tae Jun.

The search party is battling with mosquitoes and weird noises crackling in the woods.

Hannah and Eun Gyul freak out at the sight of Tae Jun and Jae Hee, which turns to relief when they realize their friends have been found.

Jae Hee is ordered not to strain her ankle and Seungri asks what happened.

As she can’t reveal who she really is, Jae Hee hesitates in explaining, when Tae Jun just makes it easy and says he fought with the creep over something stupid, so the Creeper ran away. Not sure why we′re covering things up, but okay, let′s move on for the sake of moving on.

 

 

Jae Hee doesn’t eat dinner, and it worries Tae Jun.

Eun Gyul sneaks into Jae Hee’s room and starts singing Hawaiian Couple by Humming Urban Stereo, except he’s actually pretty terrible at singing, but he’s so adorable trying to cheer up Jae Hee that we’re totally gushing over it.

Unfortunately, Tae Jun, who came to cheer Jae Hee up, criticizes Eun Gyul’s singing then turns away.

 

 

The atmosphere at the breakfast table is weird, with Eun Gyul and Tae Jun both watching over Jae Hee, who’s still depressed. Hannah senses the strangeness and is bothered.

She later straightforwardly says that she’s bothered by Jae Hee and gives her a warning to be careful.

The van is amazingly back at the pension, and the explanation we get is that the police called about it and Seungri’s mom picked it up… (Was there an additional scene that was edited out? Why was the van at the station and why does no one care about Creeper’s disappearance?)

Eun Gyul goes back to the mural, where Jae Hee made her hand print when she fell on top of Eun Gyul. Eun Gyul smiles that Seungri’s mom decided to keep it instead of painting over it.

 

 

Eun Gyul tells all the kids to come out of the van to take a picture by the murals, and although they all groan, they all take a picture – where Eun Gyul ends up being the only one with his eyes closed. He begs for another picture, but the other kids just ignore him.

He later updates his SNS, “Even though I close my eyes, our memories of that day that I see vividly.”

He writes ‘aodis,’ which he quickly corrects as adios.

On the ride back, Jae Hee asks to borrow Tae Jun’s tablet PC, which he finally gives her after giving her a hard time.

She sees that Tae Jun was reading about the coach who was coming to scout him, and she gives him a sad look.

Jae Hee checks her mail and is shocked that someone is coming this week.

 

 

At the conference, Dr Jang is washing his hands, when a foreign man enters to check himself out in the mirror. Dr. Jang eyes every inch of the man, silently complimenting him on his fashion. The man glances over and greets Dr. Jang in perfect Korean, startling him.

Dr. Jang later finds out the man is Daniel Dawson, a doctor at Johns Hopkins. He’s deeply impressed by Daniel.

At the office, Director Jang talks about retiring Tae Jun from high jumping and supporting him more through the entertainment fields with endorsements.

Meanwhile, the stalker trio from the sister school hop on a trampoline and steal pictures over the walls of Genie High School, where Tae Jun is filming a commercial.

Tae Jun awkwardly points to the camera and says, “I am a miracle.”

The director’s not happy with Tae Jun’s performance, when the vice president comes out of nowhere and says that the director can’t treat Tae Jun like that, since Tae Jun, to him, is like Jang Dong Gun and Won Bin. (Oh Secret Garden spoof.)

 

 

Jae Hee rereads her email, and we find out that it’s her brother, who we think is Daniel.

He insists that they meet for lunch and that he’ll pick her up at her school, Serin High School for Girls.

She immediately begins to worry, wondering where she’s going to get a Serin High School uniform.

Just then Hannah comes into the room, conveniently wearing a Serin High School uniform. Before Jae Hee even asks to borrow the uniform, Hannah rejects her and goes to find Tae Jun.

Jae Hee comes to the commercial set, where Tae Jun and Hannah are filming for the commercial.

The commercial shoot is almost over, when Tae Jun tells the director that the line, “I am a miracle,” is too cheesy for him.

Just then, Jae Hee encourages him from the sidelines, saying that he is a miracle.

Eun Gyul marvels at how awesome Tae Jun is even filming a diaper commercial.
Seungri and Jae Hee look at Eun Gyul with confused then sympathetic eyes, as Eun Gyul shouts out “I am a diaper!”

(When you say, ‘I am a miracle,’ it is ‘gi juk yi da,’ which also sounds like, ‘I am a diaper.’)

Jong Min joins the crowd and says, “So I heard Tae Jun is filming a diaper commercial!”

Before Jae Hee can correct Eun Gyul, she eyes Hannah’s school uniform in her van and slowly moves in.

When Hannah and her manager come back to the van, they find her uniform missing with only a note that said the uniform was borrowed for an emergency. Hannah is grossed out by the ert who stole her uniform and wig.

As Tae Jun films the commercial, Hyun Jae is training vigorously, although he still can’t beat Tae Jun’s record.

Tae Jun and Hannah walk through the campus when they run into Tae Jun. Hyun Jae says that Tae Jun looks better filming commercials, instead of exercising in a smelly gym. He jogs off, leaving Tae Jun irked.

 

 

Eun Gyul is in his room looking at photos from the trip. When he gets to one of Jae Hee, his heart starts beating and he throws his phone aside.

Then picking it back up, Eun Gyul searches the definition of gay, which comes out as happy. Probably not the help he was looking for, but it′s adorable that he heads to the internet to try to sort out his feelings.

He imagines a wedding ceremony where both Jae Hee and himself are dressed up in suits. They walk down the aisle together, smiling. Fast forward to their married life.

Eun Gyul tends to a crying child, whose friends for having two dads. Eun Gyul reassures his son saying that it’s a joyful thing to have two dads.

Then in comes a gruffy and dirty looking Jae Hee, who announces that their army enlistment details have come out and that they should wear couple uniforms on base.

Suddenly, the son asks which dad gave birth to him, which wakes Eun Gyul up from the dream, screaming that it wasn’t happy or delightful at all.

The phone rings.

 

 

Tae Jun is watching the soccer practice, when Director Jang comes to his side. She asks what he thinks about retiring, which he hesitantly agrees to. Director Jang encourages him to think about it first, and then reminds him about his fan signing the next day.

Coach Baek attempts to get out of his car, but his car is in horrible condition and the door doesn’t open.

His solution? Climb out of the window.

It just so happens that his crush, Teacher Lee, is watching him. He tries to pull it off coolly, like he’s purposely sitting on the window ledge and appreciating the nice weather when he falls out and looks like an idiot in front of her.

 

 

He chases after her and they talk about where they live and when he finds out where she lives, he offers to carpool – even though he lives on the opposite side.

Aw, he’s so adorable.

Dr. Jang is googling Daniel Dawson when Jae Hee frantically enters the office, asking for permission to go off-campus. She promises that it’s an emergency, and she gets one.

She sits outside of Serin High school, wearing Hannah’s uniform and wig, but forgetting she’s a girl again, she sits with her legs wide open, getting disgusted glares from the people around her. Ladies, keep them legs closed - especially if you′re wearing a skirt.

Just then, Daniel shows up and they greet each other before heading to lunch.

We find out that he’s not entirely fluent in Korean, using both English and Korean, with Jae Hee responding mostly in Korean - how does this family work?

After finding out that she doesn’t have a phone yet, he decides to take his little sister out shopping (can we be your little sister too?).

 

 

During the shopping spree, Jae Hee’s eyes keep turning to the men’s section, while Daniel directs her to the women’s. Then he finally purchases a new phone for Jae Hee, who is satisfied.

Tae Jun is on his way to the fan meeting when he’s reading about an upcoming high jump competition. He quickly shuts it off when Director Jang sees.

Jae Hee runs for the bathroom, only to mistakenly rush into the men’s bathroom out of habit.

She hurriedly turns to the women’s restroom, when Hannah strolls in.

Surprised, Jae Hee shouts out her name, grabbing Hannah’s attention. As Jae Hee runs out, Hannah her head in confusion, believing that she has seen this girl before.

Jae Hee runs into her brother, who excitedly tells her that she’s in luck, because Tae Jun’s in the building signing autographs!

Jae Hee tries to avoid it, but her brother is so eager to see Jae Hee meet her hero.

 

 

After a couple of really obsessed fans, Jae Hee stands in front of Tae Jun and gives the name ‘Goo Jil’ – which is the nickname that Tae Jun gave to Jae Hee for being dirty. Tae Jun raises an eyebrow but doesn’t think too much of it and signs his autograph with the name.

Hannah returns from the bathroom and stops Jae Hee again, saying that they’ve met before.

Hannah asks Jae Hee to pull her hair back. Hannah’s certain that she’s seen Jae Hee before, but Tae Jun sends her way, since Jae Hee is holding up the line.

Daniel finally drops Jae Hee back at Serin High School and drives away in a cab. Seeing the coast is clear, Jae Hee runs back to Genie High school.

 

 

Tae Jun is clearing out his locker room, when he starts reminiscing over a photo of his mom who always encouraged him to jump and a scrapbook of all of his achievements in the past.

Coach Baek sees him packing and warns Tae Jun that it’s easy to leave, but difficult to come back, so he better be sure.

Tae Jun leaves the locker room, angering Coach Baek.

Jae Hee is at her computer, working on something. When Tae Jun comes in, she closes it and asks how Tae Jun’s day was. Tae Jun plops down on his bed without a word, a million things running through his mind.

Coach Baek is giving a lecture on the upcoming competition, when he throws a piece of chalk straight into Jae Hee’s yawning mouth. Eun Gyul’s phone then rings aloud in class and Coach Baek sends both students out in the hallway.

An anonymous number keeps calling Eun Gyul and when he finally picks up, it’s from a girl name Hong Da Hye and he freaks out. Coach Baek sticks his head out the window and tells them to run outside.

 

 

As they run the field, Eun Gyul asks why Jae Hee is yawning so much.
Did she find a good video to watch or something?

Jae Hee replies that it’s not that, but she’s actually making her own videos, which puts Eun Gyul in a bit of a shock. Eun Gyul, mind out of the gutter!

Jae Hee asks about who Hong Da Hye, aka Hong Dang Moo and Eun Gyul reveals that she’s his childhood friend, who always picked on him and beat him up.

Jae Hee gets saved by Dr. Jang, who needs Jae Hee as a translator for a foreign doctor who can help with Tae Jun’s case.

 

 

Jae Hee is eager to help since it has to do with Tae Jun, but when the foreign doctor comes in, it’s Daniel and he’s shocked to find his little sister in an all-boys school.

Daniel scolds her in her room, saying that this is going too far and that he’s taking her back to America with him. He says that Jae Hee is ruining all of her dreams for Tae Jun.

Walking back to the room, Tae Jun overhears everything, including the part where Daniel says that it’s wrong for a girl to be living in an all-boys school.

Tae Jun is surprised and talks it over with Sangchoo (so did he NOT know before? Confusing).

He decides that it’s best to send her back to America.

When Jae Hee returns to her room, she finds her suitcase packed and ready to go. Jae Hee asks what happening, and Tae Jun replies that it’s exactly what it is.
He can’t use the same room as her and tells her to leave.

 

 

When Jae Hee says he can’t do this, Tae Jun says that he’ll leave the room then.

He then breaks the news that he’s quitting track and field and tells Jae Hee to stop trying.

Jae Hee doesn’t get it and clings on, promising to be quiet and not bother him.

Tae Jun finally blows up at her, and tells her to get out of his face and leaves the room just as tears drop from Jae Hee’s eyes.

Eun Gyul, who’s out on a walk, sees Jae Hee crying and asks, “Why are you sweating from your eyes?”

(Oh…Eun Gyul…First the diaper, and now sweaty eyes.)

 

 

He finally asks if Jae Hee is crying and doesn’t know what to do when Jae Hee says that she becomes a burden to everyone.

She leans her head against his shoulder and all of a sudden, Eun Gyul’s heart begins to pound harder and louder.

When he stares at her lips and leans forward, he pulls back quickly and runs away from the scene.

Jae Hee hangs her head in sadness as Tae Jun drowns himself in sorrow in the room.

Eun Gyul’s strange feelings force him to run laps around the field, thinking that his heart is broken.

He calls Da Hye and asks that they meet.

 

 

Jae Hee returns to the dorm and says her farewells to Tae Jun, admitting that she might have been selfish, only doing what she wanted to do instead of thinking about other people.

She walks out of the school with her suitcase.