Chapter 1; Doubtful

Rightful Regret

Chapter 1; Doubtful


 

  "You're such a d*mn as*hole! Jesus Kai! I'm tired of this!" She yelled, throwing a plate at his smirking face.
        "I was just kidding," he chuckled, expertly dodging the dish. She smacked his cheek though, successful, Kai's cocky expression wiped off by her palm.
        "Know what? I wasn't kidding. Lets break up then." Kai shouted in her ear, grasping her shoulders tightly. His words didn't need time to sink in, as she'd heard it many times before. Fights like this, they were frequent for this particular couple.
        "FINE." Ana squirmed out of his hold just barely, sprinting out of the ruined apartment. Glass shards spread the floor, like it was part of the soft wood. Picture frames held themselves up on one corner. Furniture flipped over. In the midst of the tornado like setting, Kai grinned, kneeling down to pick up the scattered silverware. He was at ease, knowing that in exactly twenty minutes, she and him would be cuddling on the couch, watching "Reply 1997".
        Swiping the floor free of debris, Kai set a bag of popcorn in the microwave, cleaning as the kernels exploded. He laughed as he fixed the frames on the wall, stopping to admire the illustration Baekhyun had painted of his girlfriend and him. The two of them, facing the sunset at the Han River, walking hand in hand. The most common romantic scene in the movies, in front of him, in which he was one of the main characters.
        Wiping the smudge of squirted toothpaste off the vibrant sun, Kai's head jerked when he heard the microwave chime. His eyes narrowed when he realized his phone never rang.
        "No new messages." The screen flashed, his jagi smiling on his wallpaper when he closed the notifications.
        "Odd," Kai shrugged, straightening the pillows on the couch that his girlfriend and him would soon squish under their weight. He grabbed the tv remote, typing in "Reply 1997" on DramaFever. Episode fourteen he tapped, pausing the ad where his love and him usually threw popcorn into each other's mouths. Kai relaxed as the image of the two washing the dishes together after an episode popped up in his mind.
        The 
word "break-up" wasn't even a literal term to Kai. He did not know what the term could lead to, as never experiencing it. They never officially broke anything, today was just like any other day; An ugly quarrel that ended as a playful night. Everyone knew the drill, heck even Baekhyun and Suho knew the death-threats they spat at each other by heart.
        It was just another routine the two of them followed, it really was. And yet, why did Kai feel even a tinge of worry? Why did that little pang of panic matter? That small ripple of doubt in the sea of his confidence, overthrew everything.
        It had been an hour until his phone finally received a message, Kai's anticipation up to the point where he stood in the doorway the entire time, waiting for her.
 "New message."
Kai's slender fingers slid right to unlock the screen.
"From Baekhyun." Kai scoffed with disbelief, dumbfounded that she hadn't been heard from yet.
"How was episode fourteen?" Baek asked from the other end, expecting a video call of the couple interrupting each other's opinions.
"I didn't watch it."
"Oh. Today was a fight night? Did she just walk out? Or did you this time?"
"She did."
"Oh. Did you clean the house up already?" Baek questioned, picturing the house like a battlefield.
"Yup."
"Did she come back yet?"
"No."
"Is she coming back?"
"...I don't know."


 

The bag of popcorn in the microwave stood untouched and uneaten.


How was chapter one? Yes? No? Maybe so? A little boring but you got to build anticipation right?