Finally..

Just listen..

Forgive me, I didn't really 'check' the whole chapter so there can be a few (spelling-) mistakes in it (well, at least more than usual:p)
But still.. ENJOY!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Jaden’s pov:

While driving home we haven’t said a word. Of course there were still things I wanted to ask, but I must not only think about myself now, about my own confusion. Dawne is also confused. I’m sure of that. But just in a different way. Even when we get home and get off the bike, she just walks to the door and goes inside. When I get inside too, I see Dawne is going upstairs. It’s not that I like it that she feels so bad or something, but this is a good opportunity to have a talk with my mother. She must know more about all of this. I wait until I hear the door of Dawne’s room close and then I walk to the kitchen, where my mom is sitting at the kitchen table.

“Oh, hi dear,” she says as soon as she looks up from her.. magazine, or something. “Hey.” I go sit at the table, exactly on the other side, and think about how I’m going to ask it and everything. Hmm… I don’t know, I’m just going to ask I guess. “Eh.. I wanted to ask you something.” “Well, what is it?” “Eh.. It’s just that… You’ve got to tell me some things about Dawne.” Her face immediately changes. Oh yeah, she knows what I’m talking about. “Dawne.. acted pretty weird today. People have also said some strange things to her. I feel like there is something that everyone knows except.. me.” “What did they say at school then? Were they unkind to her?” “Well.. pretty much, yeah.” She now looks a bit sad, but also just confused. “She said to me that she would only get weird faces and strange questions and everything. She didn’t really understand, until…” “Until what, Jaden?” I sigh. “You know Jeremy, right?” “Eh.. yeah. That awful kid, right?” I chuckle for a moment. “Yeah, that’s him. But eh... He asked her how it was at the nuthouse, as a joke.” I wait for a moment to let it get through to her. Then I just continue.

“Of course, I know he always exaggerates with everything, but come on, you don’t just come up with something like that, not even him.” “Jaden, that’s…” “She reacted a bit strange, in my opinion, to that question and I eventually asked her if he was right. She said ‘no’.” “You see, if she says it isn’t true it isn’t true, right? What more evidence do y…” “And then she said.. ‘not exactly’.” My mom’s face now looks a bit caught and confused. Then she whispers to herself: “Why would she j…” “After school was over, I was looking for Dawne so we could go home, but I walked into some of my friends and when I was done talking to them, I hurried outside because I knew she was waiting for me. And when I go outside.. There was this guy from my class – I don’t even remember his name – who was.. let’s say harassing her. And after a while she got so angry, that she punched him down.” “Oh my god...” she says softly. “And you know what was the most funny thing? After that she acted like nothing happened, like she had no idea. And after that, she was asking me all kinds of weird questions.” “Did you hear that?” For a moment I look a bit confused at her. “Hear what?” “That.. That pound… Eh.. Never mind, I’m sorry, but eh.. What kind of questions do you mean?” “Well.. Like ‘Did I just punch him down?’ and ‘Did I get very angry or something?’ That sounded quite weird. And actually.. only when she eventually started crying I started to take her serious, but nothing she said really made any sense and now she’s upstairs because she’s upset.” For a moment it’s quiet. Completely. “You know more about this, don’t you?” I start again. “You know what’s wrong with her. You know why she acts like this. Everyone knows but ME!” For a moment she sighs. “Jaden, please. You don’t underst…” “Why were you yelling just yet?”

My mom and I both look up. It’s Dawne. Then my mom stands up. “Dawne, what happened to you?” my mom asks concerned. Dawne just holds her head a bit crooked and looks confused at her. “What are you talking about?” “Your forehead!” When I look closer I, indeed, see a weird spot on the side of her forehead. Like.. “What’s with my head?” She now looks even a bit more confused and wipes a bit of her hair out of her face. Now it’s more visible. It’s a bruise. Jesus, and a big one! Suddenly I see my mom’s face change. Now she doesn’t really look concerned anymore, but more.. just painful. “Dawne, sweetie. Feel you forehead.” After a few seconds Dawne puts her fingers on the side of her forehead but removes them again quickly. “Ouch.. What’s…” Now she lays her whole hand on the spot, still sort of surprised that it hurts. “Wait..” I say while looking at my mom and back to Dawne again and again. “That pound that you heard..” I already started the sentence, but only now I actually get it. “It was her, wasn’t it?! It was her!” “What? What pound?” Dawne asks very confused, because of my intensity. My mom does look at me for a moment, but doesn’t really react. Then she looks at Dawne. She sighs. “Dawne. Did you take your  medicines today?” First, Dawne looks at her. But then she looks slightly more to the left. It’s not a big difference or something but she just looks.. strange. It’s like she’s… staring.

“Yes,” she answers. “Dawne, did you take your medicines today?” my mom asks again, but with more intensity now. Why does she do this? “Yes,” she answers again, on the exact same tone. Then my mom walks up to Dawne and holds her face in her way so she almost has to look straight at my mom. “Dawne, look at me. Look at me! Did you take your medicines today?” Dawne’s look now changes again. “No.” My mom sighs. What the hell? “Alright. Now it’s my turn. Can someone explain me this?!” I ask, hoping to actually get an answer this time. My mom looks at Dawne again. “I’m very sorry, Dawne. But… He knows. At least.. He knows something’s really wrong. It’s too late now. You already gave him too many clues. I think you should just keep all of it a secret, but that’s not going to work anymore, or you should tell him everything.” Dawne looks at me for a moment, a bit sad and painful. Then she looks at my mom again and sighs. “You tell him,” Dawne says softly. Then she looks at me again, one more time, walks away and eventually goes upstairs again. My mom looks down for a moment. That last look of Dawne. Only that look really showed how badly she wanted to keep it a secret and at the same time how badly she wanted to tell. In the end, I still can’t hold myself from smirking just a few seconds. She’s finally going to tell. FINALLY!

“So.. What is it? Really, I won’t.. One thing I did understand is that she thought I would hate her, that I would hate the.. ‘thing’ that’s wrong with her. But you can trust me, really.” For a last time, my mom sighs. “Alright then. What the kids at school apparently have said, isn’t completely true, but it is for a part. She has been in a mental hospital for almost exactly two years.” I can see she wants to say it, but it’s very hard for her. “She has a split personality.” For a moment it’s quiet. “Wh... What? You mean like..” It was supposed to be a question, but now it becomes a statement. “Like your sister. That’s why you wanted to take care of her. That’s why you wanted to help her so badly. Because your sister Angela had it too. She also had schizophrenia!” “Alright! Yes! But, Jaden, schizophrenia isn’t the same.” I look confused at her. “What?” “I also used to think that was the same, but schizophrenia is different.” “In what way is it different then?” “Schizophrenia most of the time means you’re having delusions and hallucinations and.. all sorts of those things.” “So.. Dawne has a split personality?” “No.” I look up. “Dawne has both.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________

So.. Enjoyed it? Let me know by COMMENTING or of even better, if you didn't do so yet, SUBSCRIBING!! Jeeeej!!:D

In the next chapter there's gonna be, next to some other things of course, the rest of the conversation between Jaden and his mother, most of all to explain some things a bit further, but of course you read the actual 'reveal' just yet, so you're probably glad you FINALLY know..! Yeah, that's also why this chapter is called 'finally..'. Am I smart or not!?;D

Well, also just thanks for actually reading it until so far and don't forget to comment and subscribe! I'd appreciate it!!

xxxx