What?

Just listen..

Jaden’s pov:

I can’t believe this is actually the day. The day that it’s not just me and my mom anymore. When I think about the last few weeks, I actually can’t even think of how it came this far anymore, but… Well, it happened.

Few weeks back:

As I walk into the living room I see my mom is on the phone. I throw my bag down and take off my jacket very relaxed. “I’m sorry, what did you say?” I turn around. Is she talking to me? “Oh alright then. No no, I understand.” Oh, apparently not. Just talking through the phone.. I turn back again. “Really? So soon?  Is she that healthy already?” Now I’m kind of starting to wonder. What is she talking about? I turn around again and stay there like that for a while. I’m not even sure if she saw me coming in, if she noticed me at all. Ah well.. “Well, I’m glad I can help, but I’m not sure if I’m available that soon. I mean.. The time that I heard about this, about her for the first time, I was in kind of a different situation. My son doesn’t even know about it yet.” What? What don’t I even know about? This is getting really weird. “Mom, what are you talking about?” When she turns her head around I see she’s a little shocked but eventually the only thing she says is: “Ssh..” No, not ‘ssh’. “Mom, what do I need to know of?” I ask a little irritated now. “I’m sorry sir, hold on. Jaden, I’m on the phone! Can’t you just wait for a moment? Wait, I already know what you’re going to say to that.” For a moment she sighs. “I’ll explain everything later. Now go upstairs for a moment, would you?” Of course. I’ll just adapt myself. Well, I’m not going to try to talk back to her. Mostly doesn’t work with her. I sigh. I’ll just go upstairs..

When my mom has finally finished her conversation – apparently – she calls my name and I come downstairs again. I wasn’t doing anything important anyway. The moment I get downstairs I see my mom is sitting at the kitchen table. “Oh, there you are. Come, sit down.” This doesn’t feel right. Am I in trouble or something? My mom sighs as I sit down. Then she chuckles. “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble,” she says when she sees my face. I relax a bit now, but just a bit. “You know… You know that when your father and I got divorced, I felt pretty lonely.” I nod. Oh yeah, I remember. “You still came by every once in a while, but even that didn’t last for long.” Again I nod. “So then… I just.. I just needed someone. Someone to take care of.” She smiles for a moment. “I always loved to take care of you, but as you were with your father… Well, yeah.” I’m now really wondering where this is going. Hurry up a bit! “So after a while I… I applied myself as a foster parent.” I look at her with my eyes widened. “No, Jaden. Please, don’t get it the wrong way. I just.. I never thought you would get back here. By the way, we all thought that.” “I just.. I don’t really understand. I mean.. So the person you were talking to on the phone… What did you talk about then?” “Well, I always used to get information. You know, for if there was someone who needed a place to live at that time. And actually already a while ago, they gave me some information about this girl.. She has had a very complicated past, not that I know all the details but still… Her parents died. She had quite a trauma and everything, but she was also just ill. Very ill. So for a very long time people have took care of her and tried to heal her.” “Then what did she have?” Like I didn’t say anything, she just goes on. “Now, she has recovered very well, not completely, but… She hasn’t been in the outside world for a very long time. They’ve decided that now she feels well enough, she should live among the  people again and not just the people who take care of her, which aren’t that many.”
“Alright.. So, did they ask you to take care of her?” She takes a deep breath.. “Yeah.” Somehow my heart just stopped pounding for a moment, but.. I tried to remain calm on the outside. “A-And.. S-So..  you said ‘yes’? According to you phone call..” “Yeah, but that was already quite a while ago. So.. they called me up to say that she had recovered and she needed a place to stay. Pretty soon already.” “I.. I’m sorry, but do you mind if I say this all sounds pretty weird for a 18 year old guy. Cause.. what you’re saying now, is that soon there’s going to be a girl living with us which… How old is she actually?” “She’s now 17.” On the one hand I feel kind of weird that she’s so young, well actually that’s she so old, well… I’m just surprised. But it does sound more likeable that she’s kind of my age. “Well…” I start again.. “Why would you want to care especially for her? What.. ‘moved’ you so much that you want to take care of her?” I see she’s not sure about what she’s going to say. “Well, I can just.. I just really feel for her.” What? That.. That’s it? Then I see her face change, her look. I think I should better not ask any further. “But, Jaden.. You actually didn’t tell me how you think about it. Cause.. You take it quite well, but..” “Well, I.. I mean..” I sigh. “Isn’t there… Isn’t there any other foster family who wants to take care of her?” She shakes her head. “No. That’s one of the reasons why I really want her to live with us. Because.. Until now, I’m kind of the only who really wants to take care of her.” I think deep for a moment. Then I sigh. “So.. you really want to help her that bad huh?” She looks up at me and then she smiles.