Chapter 7

Unfazed [BL]

 

“Hey, Jae?” Yoochun called.

“Yeah, Chunnie?” Jaejoong asked not taking his eyes of the monitor.  The photo shoot had run longer than expected but despite the time crunch Jaejoong spared no expense.  His designs were to be showcased on an international scale and he was a firm believer of the saying a picture is worth a thousand words.  Everything had to be perfect. 

Watching him, Yoochun had a glimpse of the professional Jaejoong, the Jaejoong that the rest of the world saw and was used to.  How unlike his Jaejoong, he thought, to think he was the only one that saw the clumsy goof for a best friend.  Smiling at the thought he said, “Pegopa.”

Sighing Jaejoong turned toward his friend, “Yoochun-ah, you’re always hungry,” causing Yoochun to pout.  “Fifteen minutes.  And then we’re done, okay?”

“Can’t I get a snack?”

“No.”

“Wae?” the young actor whined.

“With the way you eat, you will ruin your make-up” Jaejoong said with a grin.  Yoochun scrunched up his nose and looked away.  “Don’t be like that chingu.  We’re almost done I promise.”

“Fine.”  Five minutes past in silence. Jaejoong once again too consumed by the monitor to notice his friend bored to death behind the camera and lights.  “Jae?”

“Yes, Chunnie?”

“Do you have any idea why Lizzie is telling me not to listen to a word you say?” Yoochun asked randomly.

“Do I ever?”

“Good point.  But she’s been especially irritable the last couple of weeks.  Ever since the night that… well you know.  The night of your… and my… agh. You know what I mean.”  At his friend’s sudden shyness Jaejoong laughed, resigning to the idea that their work day was definitely over.  Once they began to get personal in conversation there was no telling when it would stop.  Both Jaejoong and Yoochun knew that well.

“You sly dog.  Fine.  We can be done for today.  Let’s go get you some food now.  The food I ordered a half hour ago should already be in my office.”

Yoochun smiled, “You know me so well hyung.”

What few people realized about Hero & Company was that the design firm was also the entertainment headquarters for several performers.  Yoochun included.  And while Jaejoong refused to let being CEO of a firm interfere with his designing duties, he had small circle of well trusted friends who gladly helped him run the moderate sized company and took on that role for him, at least on occasion.  The man heading their way as they walked to Jaejoong’s office was one of them.

“Jaejoong-ah!  Fancy seeing you here.  I thought you’d be glued to your studio for the next few weeks” said a low but friendly voice.

“Bi Rain sunbaenim.  It’s good to see you.  And yes, I am.  But we got hungry so I had something delivered to my office.  I can’t risk any damage on my designs” Jaejoong clarified.  “Well, I won’t distract you.  You seem to be in a hurry.  Go on Mister CEO.  Do your job” he teased.

“Tch.  Seriously, how did I let you er me into this job?  I’m a singer, not a business man” Bi said facing Yoochun.  The young actor simply smiled amused.  “Alright, see ya guys.  Enjoy your meal.”  Bows were exchanged before they moved their separate ways.”

“He really is only half joking.  You know that right?” Yoochun asked as he entered the posh office.

“He owes me” Jaejoong said as both men laughed.  But the older man wasn’t about to be fooled.  He knew exactly what his dongsaeng wanted to ask.  But he waited until they settled onto the only comfy sofa in the entire room and began to devour their Chinese take-out.  “Go ahead.  Ask” he prompted.

“What happened that night between you and Lizzie?  And don’t say she pushed you because that’s obvious.  My question is how?  You and I both know that no matter how clumsy you are and how strong she is, she’s still no match to your strength.  For goodness sake, you bench press twice your weight.  What’s up?!”

Jaejoong wondered whether he really should answer.  It wasn’t really the embarrassment holding him back.  Or maybe it was a little of that.  But how could he explain to his best friend that his only other friend hated him, no, despised him.  He wasn’t sure he had the heart to do it.

“Come on hyung, you have to stop pretending like I don’t notice how much you guys fight.  Wae?”

The older man sighed, taking a deep breath before continuing.  “It’s because of you.”  Noticing his best friend’s bewilderment he kept on, “We fight because we are both trying to protect you.  Though, I can’t say for sure if we are trying to protect you from the same thing.”

“I’m not a kid.  I can protect myself, hyung.  Because of you guys I know how.  And I’m not exactly damsel either” Yoochun said sternly.

“I know.  I guess we’re just more taken with the idea of competing with each other for your attention that we sometimes forget that you don’t really need to be guarded so much.  You do that on your own, sometimes a little too much” the older man acknowledged.  Yoochun nodded in agreement.

“So what’s the deal?”

“I don’t know Chunnie.  I think sleeping with Lizzie was a huge mistake.  Ever since then she’s not just protecting you from the world but from me.  But you know what the weirdest part of all this is?  That night of the accident…” Jaejoong said pointing to his still casted wrist, “…she kissed me.  It was to distract me I’m sure.  But the funny thing is that it worked.  I was shocked.  And then I was relieved that at least she didn’t hate me enough to be repulsed by me.  Of course I felt that way before she pushed me down the railing but you know what I mean?”

Again, Yoochun nodded.  “So she kissed you before pushing you down to your doom.  Mhm.  It’s kind of romantic, I guess.”

Jaejoong couldn’t help but laugh.  “Shut up.  It’s not like that.”  Then they both laughed.

“Do you want me to talk to her?” Yoochun asked.

“No.  She doesn’t trust me already.  If you do that she’ll think I put you up to it and it’ll make things worse.  I need to do this on my own.  I need to know why that night changed so much for the three of us.”

“Do you think she may think that you took advantage of her?” Yoochun suddenly asked staring out the wall-long window.  “I mean the night that you two slept together.  Weren’t you too wasted?”  And then, it dawned on Jaejoong.

“Holy crap.  You could be right.  But I did try talking to her about it once and she brushed me off.  She appeared repulsed more than offended” Jaejoong said.

Yoochun thought for moment, “What did you say exactly?”

“First, I apologized for running off that morning” he replied.

At that Yoochun eyes went wide, “Wait a minute, you ran off in the morning?  Dude!  That’s awful.  That’s like saying hey it’s been nice I’ll call you but never really meaning it.”

It was Jaejoong’s turn to be shocked.  “What?!  No.  That’s not it at all.  I just got scared.  You know with her being my best friend’s best friend and then being business colleagues.  Plus, we’ve never actually been close.  I didn’t know what to say and she was just quiet the entire time.  I panicked.”

“Oh my gawd, for two of the smartest people I know you two have created the biggest misunderstanding of the century” Yoochun said before falling into a fit of laughter.

“Shut up.”

“Or what?” Yoochun challenged.

“Or… or… I won’t help you avoid that Xia guy” Jaejoong finished.  “And who are you to talk anyway?  You’re doing the same thing to Xia as I did with Lizzie.”

“I am not” the actor pouted.

“Yes you are.  Why else are you avoiding him?  He’s virtually perfect for you.  But you’re only running away because you’re too scared to give him a chance.  Like I said before, you are too guarded” the older man said without a hint of remorse. 

But then Yoochun grew serious, “Joongie, what if he’s just playing me.  He has a reputation you know.  And something about him just makes me uneasy, like I should know better.”

Jaejoong also grew serious, “I know” he acknowledged.  “But then again, so did I.  And look how that turned out.  You can’t believe everything you hear Chunnie.  People in this business aren’t always what they seem.  You are just going to have to take that chance.  It’s up to you to decide whether it’s worth it or not.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“Besides, if he does turn out to be a complete jerk you have two very protective friends behind you.  Just take a deep breath and walk on.  We’ll be here for you… I’ll be here for you” he finished.

“Thank you Joongie.”

Jaejoong smiled the way only few saw; eyes thinning into slits, cheeks high and blushed with his pouty lips pursed into symmetrical lines revealing perfect pearly white teeth, “Anytime chingu.  Anytime.”