Chapter 3

Unfazed [BL]

 

The last month had passed fairly easily despite all the set-backs and deadline changes.  Yoochun began to wonder at first whether taking on this drama would be too much, but after the initial shock of the first week it all began to get easier.  The set was huge, elaborate and quite impressive.  There wasn’t a doubt as to how successful it could be.  But he just couldn’t bring himself to stop worrying.  Jaejoong kept insisting that it wasn’t the drama but his subconscious that really had him on edge, warning to resolve his issues with a certain someone.  It had been a month since that night and Yoochun still refused to acknowledge it had ever happened.  The day after, he left without as much as a word.  In fact, he left before Junsu had woken up after they had agreed to sleep in.  Yoochun refused to take his calls or answer any of his texts.  It wasn’t long before the idol singer had to leave for his Asia tour, leaving an anxious Yoochun free to his will again.  But even with the idol a thousand miles away, he still felt uneasy. 

“Yo, Yoochun-ah!” came voice not far that suddenly interrupted his thoughts.

“Oh, Yunhoshii, what are you doing here? I thought you didn’t have a schedule today” Yoochun mentioned.

The tall model-esque actor smiled brightly at Yoochun before replying, “I don’t.  I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with me.”  Yunho kept his smile, despite seeing the younger man’s hesitation.  “I noticed you don’t like crowded places so I suggest we go to my friend’s restaurant.  It’s open especially for us for the rest of the day.  No crowds, no waiting and a killer jazz ensemble.  What do you say?”

Seeing the other man’s enthusiasm, Yoochun couldn’t help but agree.  His was done filming anyway and there was no doubt that he was starving.   As they entered the restaurant he saw that the other man was not lying.  The place was empty and quiet aside from the live music.

“Wah!  Yunhoshii, this place is incredible,” he announced sniffing around.  “Mhmmm, Italian?” 

Amused the model nodded.  “Is that okay?”

“Oh yeah, I’ll eat almost anything” he replied with a dopey smile, all tiredness forgotten.

Crossing his arms Yunho grew serious, “How many times must I remind you to just call me Yunho.  It’s been 8 episodes and 5 lunches already.  Shouldn’t we be comfortable with each other by now?  I’m only a year older than you, you know.”

“Ne, sunbaenim.” The younger replied with a salute. “I mean … ne h-hyung?”  Yunho did a facepalm.

“Close enough.  Let’s go eat.”

After they were settled and had already ordered, the duo sat enjoying the music.  After almost a 35 hour shoot, Yunho figured Yoochun was tired and terribly hungry.  He was afraid that would make the other cranky.   But once the appetizers were brought in and the younger man was happily nibbling on some bread Yunho grew calm.

“So how are your scenes going?” he asked.

Yoochun swallowed then gulped down some wine before answering.  “Good, though I still think I’m too old to be playing a high school kid.  I mean, I don’t even get the girl at the end. You do,” he said sounding disappointed.

Yunho laughed, “Well, technically you do get a girl just not the one you wanted.  It’s a tragic tale of first love for you but a successful second.  Rule of thumb, stay away from the noonas!”  They both laughed talking more about the drama.

“How is your leg by the way?”  Yoochun suddenly asked remembering that in the last shot they had together he had to kick Yunho’s character until he fell to the ground.

“I have to say, you throw a mean kick.  I had to ice it for two days!  Where did you learn to do that?” Yunho inquired.

Yoochun was munching on his food when he answered not looking up from his plate, “Yoga.”  Noticing the older man’s shocked expression he proceeded to explain, “Um, before I started working out my friends thought it would be a good a idea to build flexibility before we did anything strenuous since I wasn’t used to working out.  As you can guess, the class was filled with women with the exception of my friend Jaejoong and me.  One day, they had a self defense seminar.  But most special events were acrobatics.” Slack jawed Yunho nodded.  “And later since my best friend is also into working out, they later taught me how to do some moves more forcefully.”

“Jaejoong?” Yunho tried to clarify.

“No, Lizzie.  She’s a third degree taekwondo.  Yoga was Jae’s idea.  He’s more of battle yourself rather than other people type of guy.”  Yoochun could still sense the shock oozing out of Yunho, “If it makes it any less weird, I can do some awesome somersaults because of it.”  Suddenly the older began to laugh, a marvelous sound that echoed against the music.

“Sorry, I’m not making fun of you it’s just such a strange answer” he apologized.

“None taken.  Don’t worry, I don’t get offended easily.”

“Yes, I can see that” Yunho said in awe. 

Their conversation continued until their food was pretty much gone and Yoochun finally took a deep breath.  “Bwoah, I’m so full” he said taking a sip of wine.

“Mhm, then I guess you left no room for desert then” Yunho asked.

“Desert?”  Yoochun asked grinning.

“The special of the day, cocoa flavored flan dusted with cinnamon flavored cookie crumbs.”

“Yum!  Can we change the wine though?  This one is not good for desert.” Yoochun informed.

“Are you what my parents would call a foodie?”  The older man asked raising brow.

Yoochun shrugged, “If it’s about food, I’m all for it.  Call it a symptom of a deprived childhood.  I didn’t even know how much I could eat until I came to Korea!”  Both men laughed.  “Jaejoong-ah is also a very good cook.  You could say I’m spoiled now.”  They kept on laughing.  However, since the mood was perfect Yoochun found it appropriate to bluntly state what was on his mind.  “Hyung, is this a date to you?”

Though he was caught off guard Yunho kept his composure, “Does it feel like a date to you?”

“Yes.”

“Do you not want it to be?” Yunho asked a little worried.

Yoochun cocked his head and looked up at the older man with a blank expression, “I don’t want you to get the wrong impression.”

“And what impression is that?”

“That I dislike you.  Because I don’t.  But I’m not looking for…”  Yoochun began.

“Then I guess, I can’t compliment how good you look today.  Or say how much I like your new hair cut.  Or that your smile is probably the brightest I’ve ever seen.”

“Hyung, please” the younger man pleaded.

Yunho sighed still not losing his smile, “It doesn’t have to be anything more than what you want this to be Yoochun-ah.  I will leave it up to you.”  Yoochun smiled gratefully.  “But being friends also requires us to know each other a little more don’t you think?”

“Of course,” Yoochun agreed.  “Tell me, how did you become the all-star action hero of the decade?” he began suddenly chipper with strange child-like curiosity.

Yunho laughed at the erratic mood switch of the other but replied accordingly, “Well, I started off as a model.  I was in the business from the time I was thirteen.  However, an education is always a must my family emphasized so I decided to enroll in a theater program.  The rest is history, I guess.”  Noticing Yoochun’s skeptical gaze he asked, “You don’t believe me?”

“Oh I believe you, hyung.  It’s just, how does a model become an action star?  Aren’t models usually flimsy?” Yoochun noted without much apprehension.  A thought that made Yunho burst into his signature boisterous laughter.  “Did I say something funny?” 

“Yes, well, as you can see there is nothing flimsy about my physique.  I studied a variety of martial arts since I was young.  Again, a tradition for most people in my family” Yunho finished. “Don’t be fooled by my handsome face.  I can be quite rough when the situation calls for it.”  Yoochun nodded with a jutted lip, a habit the older man seemed to always catch.  Knowing it would amuse Yoochun, Yunho added, “Though my younger sisters are much better in practice than me.  I’m afraid I neglected my training with all the traveling and all.  I guess my grandfather was all too eager to pass on our traditions so my sisters got the brunt of it.  They could take me down at any moment they please.”

“Y-your martial arts teacher is your g-grandfather and your o-opponents are y-your sisters?” Yoochun asked in disbelief.   Yunho nodded with a smile.  “That’s intense.  The most my mom ever made me or my brother do was go outside to get some sun.  Or climb the roof to put up Christmas lights.” The younger man laughed at his own laziness.  “Still, your family must be proud of you for what you’ve accomplished, no?  You are famous all over Asia.”

“I guess, but I never feel like it’s quite good enough.  Then again, they did not start attending any of my premiers until just about two years ago when I won the best actor nomination.  It’s been tough trying to convince them this is what I want to do for the rest of my life,” Yunho kept on.

“I know what you mean.  It is tough.  But if it weren’t for the path this career took me on, I never would have been able to provide for my family the way I do now.  So I’m thankful no one stopped me, especially my family.  Nonetheless, I’m glad to be doing them proud.  I strive for it constantly,” said the younger man. 

Yunho hummed in agreement before adding, “Dreams are the best motivation for success and with success we earn our own fortune.”

“You sound like a fortune cookie.” Both mean laughed.

[In another part of town]

Changmin knew he did not want to be the one delivering the news to his eccentric employer.  In fact, despite the fact that they were related, cousins no less, he didn’t even want to be anywhere near sight of the preoccupied idol.  Well, that wasn’t really news but today especially.  He sighed in annoyance though he was aware that if he didn’t tell Junsu what he wanted to know now, it would only be worse for him later.  Jet lag was still painstakingly hovering over his strained frame and hunger calling him from the depths of a deep dark place within the pit of his stomach.  Procrastinating the hell of furry that would surely arise from the idol was only going to delay the peace of mind and well deserved rest he would reward himself with after the whole ordeal.   So he kept on walking, up the elevator and down the hall to the very door that opened the passage to said hell.

Junsu POV

*Knock knock*

I walked toward the door, thinking it was too soon for my meal to be delivered, only to find the tall mound of muscle that was my cousin Changmin.  Don’t get me wrong, I speak of him dearly.  Despite our turbulent relationship we both trust each other with almost anything.  If it had to be said, I would say he is the only around me that I trust beside my twin brother.  Maybe even a little more.  Not that I would ever tell him that.  The once-little-runt already has enough over my head to black mail me for an eternity.   He may be twenty-three and only two years younger than me but there’s no doubt from anyone that knows him that he’s got a demeanor well beyond his years.  It’s kind of scary actually.  But I guess we are related in some way.  Celebrity families aren’t exactly known for being normal are they?

“Minnie, I sure hope you’re here to do your job and not just to devour my food which has yet to arrive by the way,” I informed him knowing full well he hated the nick name.  I saw him flinch before he stood tall again, answering with a low warning whisper.

“Call me that one more time and then see if I give you what you’re waiting for.”

“It’s not like we’re in public, Min.”  Again he glared, “Fine. Fine.  Spill it,” I sighed.  “What did he say?”  I watched him relax against the wall with a smirk, pausing for suspense.  Gods, seriously?  Why course me with a sadist maknae whose wit I can’t even compete against?

his lips Changmin began, “Well, for starters, he wasn’t there.  He had already left one hour ahead of schedule.  Either he’s that good or someone pulled some strings.  Second,” again, he paused to offer nothing but that self knowing grin I’d grown to detest, “He did not leave alone.”

“What do you mean?”

“That’s exactly what I mean,” Changmin continued.  “Apparently, someone has the same target .”

Fuming I dared to ask, “Who?!”

“Jung Yunho.”