Chapter 6

Unfazed [BL]

 

Changmin had little reserve to hold his tongue.  If it weren’t for his super famous cousin’s natural inclination for public courtesy he’d have absolutely no reason to even hold a straight face in press conferences like these.  It was ridiculous.  Why would Junsu have to give a public apology for something that was completely out of their hands?  The concert was canceled not because it was their choice but because the freaking ministry-of-whatever decided it was inappropriate and an immoral showcase of human promiscuity.  Seriously, do middle aged people watch television these days?

Taking deep breaths to keep his mind out the thousands of wasted dollars rolling through his head, the young manager did his best to keep the insistent camera men and reporters at arm’s length from his cousin.  After an hour of dealing with the rowdy crowd the conference was finally over and the stoic pillar of poise that was the almighty Xia Junsu finally seemed to collapse under the confined freedom of the singer’s Bentley van.

“Minnie-ah, can you drop me off at the studio.  I need to practice” Junsu simply said.

Facing the quietly distressed singer Changmin replied, “Why can’t you just sleep or drink like a normal person?  It’s not like you have to perform tomorrow any more.  You need to rest hyung.”  The intentional hint of concern was not missed by Junsu, however, he chose to ignore it.  Though it was rare and usually confined to private moments such as these, the singer did not have the mind to really pay much thought to his cousin’s worry.  Because even though his body appeared calm and collected on the outside, his words remaining cool and steady, on the inside he was burning.  Nothing pissed him off more than being unable to perform, especially when no one could really give him a coherent excuse for the cancellation.  “I’m serious hyung.  I can’t let you work until you collapse.  The last thing we need is an injury holding you back.”

Sighing in defeat, knowing his dongsaeng was right he finally said “Fine, take me to MBC studios.”

[Meanwhile]

Yoochun was struggling.  The scene had been running for almost ten hours and he was exhausted.  As the supposed high school kid of the drama he’s supposed to have the most stamina but the reality could not be further from the truth.  Needless to say, the last few hours of running around the block had him aching for some soju and ramen or better yet something sweet and wonderful.  But the director was insistent, not wavering in his decision to keep the crew on sight.  Even Yunho was beginning to show signs of irritation.  No one could change the director’s mind.

Junsu POV

I didn’t exactly know where I was going but hearing directions being shouted guided me in the right direction.  I approached the site carefully, not wanting to disrupt anything.  However, when I got there I wish I had.  I was welcomed by the sight of Yunho patting Yoochun’s shoulder, no doubt taking advantage of his current distress from the looks of it.  Yoochun was breathing heavily, his face flushed.  When the scene started again and Yoochun slipped, tumbling onto the floor I almost ran to him but the director interrupted any contemplated move by allowing the scene to be shot again.  Now I was getting even more frustrated.  I came here to watch Yoochun-ah and ease my stress, not add to it.  When the next cut was made I approached, making myself known.

“Yoochun-ah.”

Yoochun POV

I blinked in all directions trying the find the voice I thought I imagined.  But familiar squeals and whispers confirmed my suspicions.  It was not long before he stood before me, tall and unreachable.  Well, except for the fact that we are just about the same height.  Unlike last time where he wore a rather classy fitted suit and jacket, this time he wore a long fuzzy blue coat over a plain black t-shirt and jeans.  No fancy jewelry or accessories, just sunglasses.  But one particular change had caught my attention, unusually so.

“Your hair is pink” I blurted out before I could stop myself.

He didn’t seem to blink, “And yours is short. Go figure.”

“It’s pink” I said again.

“Yeah.”

“Like pretty-look-at-me pink.”

This time he sighed before he responded, “Do you ever think before you react?”

“Is your hair ever a normal color for more than three seconds?” I replied.

He sighed, “Be straight with me, I’m in no mood for this.”

“I can’t.  I’m gay.  I thought you knew that” I kept egging him on.

“I’m serious.”

I could feel my cheeks burn because I’d had already forgotten what his question was.  “Um … can you repeat the question?”  Luckily, I could see a hint of a smirk before  he obliged.

“Do. You. Ever. Think. Before. You. React?” he teased.

“Rarely” I answered honestly.

“Clearly.”

I chuckled at his monotone voice.  “Hey, that rhymed” I said pointing.

Junsu POV

I could literally hear the slap of my hand onto my own forehead.  “It’s for an event that was supposed to happen tomorrow.  But that’s beside the point.  Come on, let’s get out of here.”  I aimed for his hand but he quickly drew it away.

“I’m working.  I can’t just leave” he said, aware of all the eyes on us.  I rolled my eyes at him before walking to the director.

Clearing my throat and standing taller than most individuals there I spoke, “I think your actors deserve a break.  Clearly, it’s not their fault you can’t get the shot you need.  Perhaps some time to think over your next plan of action would be appropriate, don’t you think sunbaenim?”  When the director nodded I simply bowed ninety degrees and walked back to Yoochun.  Only moments later, the director announced the wrap up.  I quickly took hold of his hand and dragged him away from all the chaos.  It wasn’t long before we arrived at our destination.

Third POV

“You brought me to a theme park?”  Yoochun asked not really seeking an answer.  “But it’s closed,” he noted as they approached the gates.  However, Junsu just kept on walking greeting the security man only to pass him by.  The actor was beyond confused as he attempted to catch up to the sly singer.

“What are you up to, Xia Junsu?” the actor asked bluntly.

“Kim.”

“Eh?”

“Kim.  My name is Kim Junsu.  We’re alone now.  You don’t have to address me like that” the singer informed.  Yoochun stopped in his tracks, making the other do so as well.  The young actor’s eyes studied the singer carefully before sighing in defeat.  “Come on, I need food.”  Again, Yoochun was forced to follow.  Junsu walked straight to a concession stand and immediately asked for the fried corndogs, giving one to the actor.

“Um, thanks” was all Yoochun said, failing to say how those were his favorite and that he indeed was hungry as hell.  Amused at the other’s bashful reaction and maybe a little more, Junsu smiled but said nothing, simply inhaled his own food.  Yoochun stared wide eyed.

“What?” Junsu asked not losing his smirk.  The actor gulped and shook his head.  “Let’s play.”

Yoochun’s shock continued.  He asked almost instantly hopeful that he wouldn’t to get on any rides any time soon, “don’t you want to ride anything?”

This time it was the singer’s turn to shake his head, “It’s okay.  Let’s play some games.  Baskets?”

“I at sports” Yoochun said nibbling his corndog.

“Liar.  You’re just lazy.  Come on, it’s fun.  We can do gun shooting games later.”  How the singer new that Yoochun enjoyed shooting games the best was beyond him.  But again, the confused actor just shrugged it off.  Yoochun wasn’t actually bad at basketball.  He only looked pathetic because Junsu was a sports freak apparently and highly competitive.  He could give Jaejoong a run for his money, hell, even Lizzie.  But even when they moved on to the shooting games, Junsu still beat him.  He seemed to know just when Yoochun was about to shoot, where he aimed, how he aimed and even what his goal was.  It was uncanny.

Junsu noticed the grimy glares Yoochun was giving him and grinned.  “You shouldn’t pout so much.  I might be tempted to bite you” he said.  He paused long enough to hear the young actor intake a quick shallow breath.  “Have you prepped yourself enough for some rides now?   Or we can always just skip to the Ferris wheel” he suggested.

Yoochun cocked his head, “Is there anything you’re not good at?”

Amused Junsu laughed, “Believe it or not I used to at these games.  But someone took the time to teach me one day.  I was weak kid once.”

“And you picked it up just like that?” the actor asked still skeptical.  Junsu shrugged handing him a candy apple, covered in chocolate and almonds.  He took it unconsciously.  When they stopped by the Ferris wheel, Yoochun began to sweat bullets.  Heights had never been part of his hobby repertoire.  In fact, he’d damn well avoided the damn things if at all possible.  Looking up he gulped.  “W-why the Ferris wheel?” he said backing away slightly.  But the feline singer took him by the arm and led him in. Sitting across from each other Junsu had a perfect of view the actor, anxiously chewing on his apple.

“I never got a chance to” the singer suddenly announced. 

“Eh?”

“I’ve never ridden on the Ferris wheel before.”

Junsu POV

You promised to ride it with me, Yoochun-ah.  Why don’t you remember?” I thought to myself with an anguish I tried not to show.

“G-get me o-out of here,” he suddenly said.  “Please, just get me out.” 

I tried to convince him otherwise, “We’ve only just started to move Yoochun-ah.”  His breath quickened and his hands began to tremble.  I recognized a panic attack when I saw one.  I stuck my hand out the car and waved for the engineer to bring us down almost immediately.  Meanwhile I sat next to him.  He flinched.  Not out of surprise to my own shock but out of fear.  His eyes wide and glassy as his lips trembled.  Again, I moved to coax him “It’s okay Chunnie, were going back down.  See, the ground is getting closer.  It’s okay.”  I took his hand which he automatically tried to pull away but I didn’t let him.  He seemed far away from me even though we sat so close, his skin cold with panic.  “Chunnie, look at me” I said but he didn’t appear to hear me.  Cupping his jaw with my hand I forced him to face me, claiming his tear stained lips.  He resisted only for a moment until our warm connection spread through his body and I could feel him relax in my arms.  We reached the ground much too soon.

Third POV

The cart reached the floor and Yoochun pushed himself off Junsu, almost jumping off the ride.  The young actor refused to show his tears any longer but the sobs escaping his throat were untamed.  Fortunately Junsu left him to his own, simply waiting for him by the Ferris wheel.  The familiar panic slowly faded, leaving only the tender sensation of Junsu’s lips on his.  He almost felt like throwing up all over again just thinking about it.

Needless to say the ride back was close to uneventful.  Yoochun could not face or forgive Junsu. 

Yoochun POV

For goodness sake Yoochun!  Get a hold of yourself.  He didn’t even know.  How can you be mad at him for that?” I tried to tell myself.  But the truth was that I was angry.  I was mad that the whole day even happened.  I wouldn’t have felt such things if it weren’t for that damn ride and stupid Xia Junsu taking me there in the first place.   When the car stopped outside my apartment, I said nothing as I opened the door and left.