The way we are.

The Red String

I let out a long, agitated sigh, hoping my life would escape my body as quickly as my breath did. Out of all of the places in the world, I had to be here.. Stuck serving customers for a whole 8 hours. And if you can guess by now, that's right, I have a job. But not just any job.. It was the worst job I could possibly have during the summer. I rather play cupid the whole day than be stuck in here, forced to take people's orders.

I didn't even want a job, but my mom insisted. Even through my constant complaining, her decision didn't change. Over the past years, I think she's learned not to listen to my complaints anymore. Unfortunate for me.

But it wasn't all that bad. Occasionally, a pair of destined lovers would be in the shop at the same time, making it easier for me to give them their first meeting. Plus, I received nice tips from some customers. The only thing making it hell for me... is Chunji.

"Yah, L.Joe, Stop day dreaming and come mop the floor."

Just on time, like always.

I grunted and unwillingly forced myself towards the red-head, a discontent expression plastered on my face.

"Yeah, I know, but the faster you get this done, the earlier we could go home." He pestered, handing the mop to me and pointing to the floor with his other hand.

"Why don't you do it?"

"Don't be lazy."

"I'm just asking, lazy."

"Yah, do you want to get fired?"

"Sure."

Silence fell upon us quickly as we stood there practically glaring at one another. But before he could open his mouth and start another dispute, I grabbed the mop out of his grip and stormed off to start my job.

That's how it's been like these past few days since I started working here. He and I would somehow start attacking each other without actually intending to. But after it's done, we would rarely ever make up. We just didn't need to. That was the relationship we had.

"Chunji-yah~" A new voice entered the shop along with a cold breeze before the warmth enveloped it. I recognized that voice, and it belonged to no one other than Chunji's girlfriend whose name I never learned. She told me a couple of times too, but I never remembered, or I never cared enough to. "When will you be off work?"

"Right after L.Joe finishes mopping." The red-head replied with a smile. "If he ever finishes at all."

"Yah, don't make me shove this thing up your nose." I muttered loud enough for him to hear me.

His facial expression changed into discomfort, but a giggle broke out from his girlfriend. The annoying kind of giggle. The kind I want to strangle to death- Wow. When did I get so violent?

"I think he's jealous." His girlfriend whispered to the red-head, earning a chuckle from him.

I rolled my eyes, knowing that wasn't the case here. "Nothing to be jealous of." I huffed under my breath.

"Yah, what did you say?!" Chunji called out to me from behind the counter.

I shook my head at him, mopping the rest of the floor that has been untouched.

After finishing, Chunji went to the back room to put the mop up, along with having to lock up the shop for the night while I stood outside and waited with his girlfriend. Since he and I shared shifts together, we usually walked home together, even though we were practically barking at one another the whole way home. But that was how we were.

Except now, I'm sure he would take his girlfriend home since she's here, letting me off the hook for once.

I started to walk away from the shop shortly after his girlfriend followed me outside, but something stopped me. Someone stopped me. She stopped me.

Her hand held firmly onto the sleeve of my shirt as she started to pull me back towards her, "L.Joe~" She cooed.

I grimaced and slightly turned my head to look at her, "What?"

"I know you like me~"

At that point, I was about to puke, but I controlled myself, hiding my disgusted face behind a confused one, "Excuse me?"

"You like me! Don't play stupid!"

Before I could tell her she was out of her mind, she brushed her finger against my lips, holding my arm close to her body, "Shh." She breathed as she started to pull me away, "Chunji won't know~"

--------------------------------------

cRYING because I had to rewrite this two times already. sobs. I did the same mistake twice.. and that was pressing the back button before I could post this. I'm sorry this is short. OTL It was longer before but now I'm just tired. ;;;;;;;;