The Assignment

World of Secrets

‘How the hell are we supposed to find their bunker, it could be anywhere within a ten kilometer radius!!’ Ryewook whined to the other members.

They were spread out in a line, about a half a kilometer apart, moving through the trees and scanning for any sign of the bunker.

They had taken a half hour looking over the information, which only gave a ten kilometer radius for the possible location of the enemy bunker where they were keeping the official. This left a lot of room for error, and after an hour of wandering in the woods they were no closer to finding it than they had been when they started.

‘Well let’s think about this, the bunker is probably surrounded by traps…’ Leeteuk began and then Donghae butted in.

‘So if we find the traps, we find the bunker.’ He finished the leader’s thought.

‘Yeah, but then how do we get past the traps and into the bunker, and then get out alive?’ Sungmin pondered and the others saw the hole in the plan they had formed.

‘Well, we spring the traps and they come and take us prisoner, then we break out?’ Siwon suggested.

The plan could work, but none of them liked the idea of letting themselves get captured and then having to break out. It would be so much smoother to get in and out of there on their own.

‘WAH!! S-snake!!’ Ryewook screamed in his mind and the others knew that he was suppressing a real scream. He was terrified of snakes, his one true weakness.

‘Calm down Wookie, just let it past and it won’t hurt you.’ Leeteuk soothed the younger and they all felt his fear passing.

Then Donghae got an idea, it was October in Korea, it was far too cold for a snake to be out.

‘Hyung, it is too late in the year for a snake to be out, they should be hibernating.’ Donghae told Leeteuk; snowballing his idea.

‘Where are you going with this Donghae?’ Leeteuk encouraged his dongsaeng with another one of his out of the box ideas.

‘Well, animals sense danger. The only reason for a snake to leave its hibernation spot would be if it feels threatened. Anybody find a reason around here for a snake to feel threatened aside from a human intruder?’ Donghae finally finished and he knew he had hit something genius as he heard his friends praising him in his mind.

‘You’re a genius Donghae, really you are. Wookie, turn your eye screen on and see if you can use the night vision to find the path from which the snake came.’ Leeteuk commanded and the rest waited patiently while Ryewook looked around.

‘Hyung, I found it! I can see it!’ Ryewook suddenly exclaimed and Donghae felt a smile spread across his face.

‘Good job Wookie, we will be there soon.’ Leeteuk said and the rest of the boys set off running in Ryewook’s direction using the night vision on their eye screens to find their way.

After a few minutes the five boys stood huddled in a circle over a small path in the fallen leaves, it was barely visible even with their night vision, but it was there.

‘Alright, we follow this trail in the direction from which the snake came from. Siwon, turn on the thermo reader on your eye screen to check for any heat sources large enough to come from a human. Sungmin, laser scanner to keep a look out for laser traps. Donghae, keep a look out for other traps. Ryewook, eyes on the ground with me.’ Leeteuk said and they all flipped their eye screens to the functions needed and headed off in search of the hidden bunker.

It took a good twenty minutes of careful walking, but eventually they found something.

‘Hyung, I found a laser!’ Sungmin called out suddenly and the rest of them froze in their tracks, flipping on their laser scanners to see what he saw.

They all turned their attention to the obvious laser that ran between two trees at shin height.

‘So what now?’ Sungmin asked looking around at his friends in search of an answer.

‘Alright, here’s the plan…’ Donghae said and started to explain.

 

They were all in position, high up in the surrounding trees, and when they confirmed that they were ready; Donghae threw the stone that launched the plan into action.

The stone passed perfectly through the laser, springing the trap, but little did the enemy know that by coming out of the only door to the hidden bunker they were springing a completely different kind of trap. Three figures emerged from the door and searched the surrounding woods for the hidden boys, but came up with nothing as they saw no one. As they turned around to head back into the bunker Super Junior sprang their trap.

The five boys fell from the trees in unison, landing silently and made their way up to the three figures.

“Boo.” Donghae said in one of their ears, surprising them and making them jump around in surprise.

The fight began.

Sungmin, Ryewook, and Siwon engaged the men in a fight as Leeteuk and Donghae darted inside the still open door. One guard remained inside and Donghae swiftly crept up behind the man. Before he could realize there were intruders, he hit the pressure point in his shoulder, leaving him helpless. Leeteuk quickly picked the lock on the only door in the bunker to reveal a man tied to a chair. He quickly untied him and guided him out the door where Donghae was now waiting with the other three.

“Nice work boys.” The official complimented as he saw the four men unconscious on the ground leaning against the tree.

Ryewook and Sungmin just gave him a cheeky grin.

‘What do we do with them; we can’t just leave them here?’ Donghae asked silently.

He knew that this was just a game, but he also knew that there were no rules. He had no confirmation that his father would indeed come and pick up these men that were not really their enemies.

‘We should take them with us, you know, as “prisoners.”’ Ryewook suggested. Being the most compassionate of the group he couldn’t bear to leave his allies behind, even if he knew they were supposed to treat them as enemies.

‘Alright, we’ll carry them back and take turns rotating if one of us needs a rest. Unarm them first though in case the wake up and try to attack us since we are still in the mission.’ Leeteuk said and he watched as each of the four boys grabbed a man and slung them onto their back.

Even though this conversation had taken place completely through the boy’s telepathy the official that they were rescuing didn’t ask any question. They started the trip back to the company’s premises, rotating the four men among the five. They were the perfect team, always sharing the work load evenly. None of the “enemies” woke up on the way back, and Donghae was glad that they had decided not to leave them out in the open.

They approached the premises and used the secret entrance that they knew would lead them directly outside of Mr. Lee’s office. They emerged in the hallway and before they could even knock on the door a voice from inside called out.

“Come in boys.” Mr. Lee called out and the five did as they were told, carrying the prisoners and the official they rescued close behind.

“Back so soon? It is only 4 a.m. I am quite impressed.” Mr. Lee congratulated the boys as the placed their prisoners on the ground and then bowed to Mr. Lee.

“Thank you sir. We had great success with this mission, evening managing to bring back some prisoners.” Leeteuk spoke on everyone’s behalf.

“Very well, you saved me from having to send someone out after them. You didn’t really think I would just leave them out there, did you Donghae?” Mr. Lee asked, directing his question at his son.

“Of course not father, this was just a matter of…convenience.” Donghae said with a half grin. He was glad his father was proud of him and his friends. They were truly the best at what they did.

“Very well, you boys may go off to bed now; you’ve earned your rest.” Mr. Lee instructed and with simultaneous bows the boys turned to leave.

“Not you Donghae, I need a word.” Mr. Lee spoke before the last of the group could escape the room and Donghae froze in his tracks, as well as the rest of the group.

‘Go guys, I’ll be fine.’ Donghae tells his friends and they just gave him a nod and left the room. Donghae turned slowly to face his father.

“I am very impressed with your success tonight Donghae. You have really proven yourself over the past few months, and tonight confirmed my confidence in you as an agent.” Mr. Lee began.

“Where are you going with this?” Donghae asked, growing impatient.

“I have a new assignment and I have been searching for the right person for the job. It has to be someone that I trust absolutely, as it is of the upmost important. Donghae, there is no one I trust more in this world than you.” Mr. Lee continued, trying to get Donghae to give him the answer he wanted.

“What’s the assignment?” Donghae asked with a sigh and a smile spread across Mr. Lee’s face as he received the answer he wanted.

“We have received Intel that Jonghyun’s top spies are getting a new trainee off the streets. We have managed to retrieve the information of this trainee. It appears random, but looking deeper we see why he was selected. They need a new thinker, someone who hasn’t been taught to think the same way as the others in the group. This trainee is scheduled to start in a few days, and we see this as a huge opportunity to plant one of our own among enemy lines. This will be where you come in. We need you to go in this trainee’s spot, get to know the spies in the group. We need someone on the inside that they can trust. Then, when we are ready to make our move, we will be successful.” Mr. Lee explained to his son, pausing before he asked the most important question.

“Are you up to it?” He finally asks, searching Donghae’s face for his reaction.

“I’ll do it.” Donghae said with a wide grin at the new challenge.

He had been training all his life for something like this and finally his hard work was going to pay off.

“That’s what I was hoping for. There is nobody I trust more than you, Donghae. You’ve worked hard for this and I know you will be successful. Here is the profile of the trainee that you need to learn. Learn it well as your life may depend on it. Say goodbye to your friends, you’re leaving in the morning.” Mr. Lee instructed while handing a file folder to Donghae.

Donghae bid his father goodnight and then left for the dorm. He was nervous and a little sad that he had to leave his friends. They had been a team for so long and he didn’t know how he was going to function without them. He didn’t want to say goodbye, but he knew that this mission was his chance to prove that he was worthy of being his father’s son. He had a lot riding on this personally, and it was important to the entire world’s security. He had to do it.

“Guys, we need to talk.” Donghae said as he walked into the dorm where the others were sleeping.

“We already know everything Donghae, we heard it. You forgot to turn your telepathy off.” Leeteuk said and Donghae could have smacked himself for being so forgetful.

If it was anybody else, this information could have been leaked into the wrong hands. But he trusted his friends with his life. He had to, with what they were trained to do.

“We don’t want you to go.” Sungmin said and the others nodded in agreement except for Leeteuk who showed no emotion.

This was dangerous. If Donghae’s true identity was revealed he would be killed instantly. No questions asked. This was a risk that they all knew they would take at some point during their lives; they just didn’t expect that they would take it separately, or this early.

“I think he will handle this well. It’s what he was born to do. I have confidence that you will succeed Donghae.” Leeteuk said coming over and taking his friend into his arms.

Displays of affection were rare among the students, even those who were close like Super Junior. Friendship was a mysterious thing in this world. You lived with each other, learned with each other, fought with each other and trusted one another absolutely. When it came down to it though, you couldn’t let yourself get too attached because you never knew when something like this was going to happen.

“You guys should go to bed; I have to learn this profile since I’m leaving in the morning.” Donghae said and the others nodded.

The remaining hours of the morning were spent with the other four sleeping while Donghae learned his profile. The name of this trainee was Kim Kibum, he had no training that would help him be a spy except for some martial arts as a young boy. Donghae now had to pretend to be somebody that he had never been in his entire life, a normal teenager.

He was in for the challenge of a lifetime.

 

1. Jonghyun in this story is NOT Jonghyun from SHINee. It was simply the first name that popped into my head.

2. Kim Kibum is not Key, nor Kibum of Super Junior. Again, just using the name.

3. Sorry this took so long to update, I DO have a life(sometimes :D). No, just really busy with Senior year stuff. I'll be trying to update AT LEAST twice a week, but I hardly have any time to write anymore :(

P.S. Please, if anybody has an idea for an informative speech(it can be ANYTHING) please tell me...I NEED A TOPIC!!!! Just not KPOP related (in an American high school, this may not go over very well and it is still too early in my Senior year to commit social suicide THAT badly :D)

As always, comments are loved!!!!