A New Mission

World of Secrets

Donghae sat in his senior disguise class bored as all hell. He already knew everything that was being taught and he felt like he could be spending his time doing something much more productive. He glanced across the room at his friend Leeteuk, who was falling asleep on his open book.

‘Ya, Leeteuk!! Wake up!!’ He called out to his friend in his mind.

Donghae and his friends were the first to develop telepathic communication. The only ones who knew about it though were the ones who discovered it: Ryewook, Sungmin, Siwon, Leeteuk, Donghae and the leader of the company, Donghae’s father. These five were the only ones who could communicate this way and Mr. Lee contributed it to the fact that the boys had grown up together and grew so close that, eventually, their minds became connected. This ability came in handy during missions and also to talk in class without getting caught.

‘What? I wasn’t sleeping; I was…absorbing the information through osmosis.’ Leeteuk responded silently to Donghae while giving him a serious look.

‘Yeah sure, whatever. We both know that we already know all this, I mean really, couldn’t they teach us something new?’ Donghae asked, keeping the conversation going in order to avoid falling asleep.

‘Just because you’re the head’s son doesn’t mean you know everything Donghae!’ Leeteuk exclaimed, annoyed by his best friends ignorance.

Leeteuk had been born into this world similar to Donghae. His father was one of Mr. Lee’s top advisors and the boys had been together since diapers. They were inseparable, always planning and forming schemes for the next break in to wherever. At any other school this would have resulted in expulsion, but here it was encouraged. The teachers wanted the students to-- explore their creativity so to speak.

‘I don’t know EVERYTHING, but this stuff is common sense.’ Donghae retorted back, not wanting to be a know it all.

‘Yeah, whatever you say.’ Leeteuk said and turned his attention back to the teacher who was instructing on the use of the disguise suit, which could change your appearance at the touch of a few buttons.

Knowing that the conversation with Leeteuk was over, Donghae began to doodle in his notebook when suddenly he felt the atmosphere in the room change. Even though no sound had been made, Donghae knew what this change meant; his father had come into the room.

The teacher stopped speaking momentarily until a nod from Mr. Lee told her to continue. Mr. Lee walked through the classroom, his steps not making any noise as his training taught him how to be stealthy. Donghae watched his father make his rounds until he finally came to stand in front of his desk. Donghae looked up at his father. He gave his son a nod that could only mean one thing: there was a mission tonight. Donghae gave an understanding nod and his father walked out of the room without a word.

‘What was that about?’ Leeteuk’s voice asked.

‘Tonight, tell the others.’ Donghae instructed Leeteuk and then turned his telepathy off.

That was the great thing about the ability: it was there when you needed it, but still able to turn it off when you wanted to be left alone with your thoughts.

He watched Leeteuk as he informed the others and when he turned and gave a nod Donghae knew that the message had been passed.

 

The five boys stood in their dorm room. It was only 11:30, and they still had time before Mr. Lee would come and tell them their mission. They were already prepared though, all dressed in black and gear in packs that were on the floor.

“What do you think it is?” Ryewook asked nervously aloud. The boys may be able to communicate silently but they still had to speak or else people would get suspicious.

“Would you stop worrying, I’m sure we will be able to handle whatever he throws at us. We are Super Junior after all.” Sungmin reassured him.

Donghae hated how Sungmin used the fact that they were Super Junior as a reason for everything. Super Junior was the name that got assigned to them by the other students. The five of them were at the top of their class, always exceeding at everything and the name came about because of their young age. Most of the senior agents were not as talented as the five boys that made up Super Junior.

Ryewook was the member of the group that appeared as though he didn’t belong. He was the brainiac and always succeeded in school far beyond teacher’s expectations. He was kind and compassionate and always took care of his friends. He appeared wimpy, but underneath the ‘nerd’ demeanor was a man you did not want to mess with. He was abandoned as an infant on the stoop of an orphanage, and before the administrator could realize he was there the Lee Company picked him up.

Sungmin was the goofball and was not very good at school, but he was the most skilled fighter of the five. He also had an uncanny ability to charm people into doing what he wanted. He almost never turned a project in on time, yet he never lost points because of it. He was the only one who had lived in the outside world for more than a month. He was in a car crash when he was five, and while his parents were killed instantaneously he crawled out of the wreckage and wandered off before rescuers could find him. The company picked him up a day later while he slept by a river in the woods.

Siwon was the muscle man. He was the dumbest in the group, but was by no means unintelligent. He just tended to solve things with violence rather than negotiation and compromise. Siwon was a classic case of hospital mix up. Well, it was an intentional mix up. A couple that worked in the company swapped their child with him and brought him into the company. It was a sacrifice well worth it.

Leeteuk was the leader. He was the oldest, and his motherly personality made the position suit him perfectly. He was the most logical and lacked in the fighting department, although his reasoning always made up for it.

Donghae was the most well rounded of all the boys. He did well in his classes, although he never seemed to study, and was an above average fighter as well. While he may not be the most “book smart” he was the cleverest of the bunch and always thought outside the box. He despised being Mr. Lee’s son. He was always under so much pressure to do well and all he wanted to do was to please his father (something that seemed impossible).

Thirty minutes had passed in silence, all of them thinking about what tonight could possibly be about. Missions were a common thing and the five were trained as a unit, but every mission was different. As the clock struck midnight the door opened and then closed silently. All five boys turned to look at the man who had entered.

“One of our officers has been kidnapped by our enemies. It is your duty to find and retrieve him safely. Here is all the information we have. Good luck.” Mr. Lee spoke with a tone of authority and then turned and left without another word.

“Well, let’s get this show on the road.” Leeteuk said and spread out the papers on the floor.

With that, a long night began.