Silent Enemies

The Guardian's Wish

 

[Chapter 8]

Silent Enemies

 

 

 

Tiffany woke up early the next morning, her head slightly pounding from fatigue. It wasn't that bad. All she needed was to relax. A gentle chuckle slithered out of . “And some ice cream.” She mumbled to herself with a smile. Her eyes lazily settled on the mounted pink clock. Time for her to get up. As much as Tiffany wanted to, she just didn't have the strength to. Her eyes closed as she tried to figure things out. Money? Nah. The cafe? Nope. Her mind was sticking to the basic. What's for breakfast? Or better yet, what day is it? After a good minute of slowly waking up, she just remembered that it was Saturday. At least Hyo will hang out with us more. I'm sure we won't be busy.

 

After getting ready for work, Tiffany strolled into her kitchen. Thanks to teasing Taeyeon the night before, the number one thing on her mind was ice cream! But ice cream was something she didn't have. Instead, she opened her fridge in hopes to find a quick snack before taking off to open the shop. Nope. Everything would take a while to cook. She didn't have that time. For some reason, she decided to check in the freezer. It wasn't completely empty. There was a tray of ice cubes, and some food that were meant to be frozen.

 

Something in the back grabbed Tiffany's attention just before she closed the door. Reaching in, she pulled out a single packaged item. Whatever it was, it was wrapped in white plastic and looked like something that was originally packaged in a box set. Inspecting it further, Tiffany found some writing on one side of the plastic. Reading the label, the young owner couldn't help but smile. “TaeTae's Ice Cream.” She read out loud. The young shop owner placed the ice cream back in its spot before closing the door with that smile still plastered on her face.

 

 

Morning at the cafe wasn't that bad. Thanks to some of the restaurant workers coming by before their shift, the cafe wasn't a complete ghost town. A few people interested in the tiny cafe dropped by to try out what the store had to offer. Thankfully for Tiffany, that Siwon guy hadn't come back the whole day. Jessica was still sticking to her no-hiding-in-your-office rule so Tiffany was once again forced to stay at the front with her workers. Hyoyeon had come to the cafe at her usual time, but instead of coming after school she came after dance practice. Since the cafe was going to close earlier than usual, so the girls could spend their Saturday night the way they wanted to, Hyoyeon figured to take them all to a dance club. Mainly, it was to let Tiffany let loose and not stress over everything while Hyoyeon and the others could still keep an eye on her.

 

Of course, frugal Fany was...well frugal. It wasn't until the dancing enthusiast said she'd pay for everything did Tiffany finally agree. That, and her two workers were completely teasing her about Siwon and how she was refusing so that she could secretly meet up with him. The thought of being with that guy made Tiffany sick. She didn't want to be with some complete stranger and she certainly didn't want to date him. Thankfully, Saturday night was loads of fun and turns out that it was exactly what the young owner needed to relax.

 

Sunday was the only day of the week where the cafe was closed the whole day. Plus, Sunday was...well church day. Ever since her mom's passing, she's attended every Sunday mass, rain or shine. Her whole morning was taken up with the religious songs and prayers and everything in between. Just when she thought she could go home, talk to Taeyeon, and learn more about the mystical life after death, the cafe buddies [being Jessica, Yuri, and Hyoyeon] convinced her to go shopping with them. Well...window shopping, but that was mainly for Tiffany. As much as she wanted to spend money on clothes and shoes, like any young adult would, Tiffany knew that she had to save her money for bills, bills, and even more bills. It didn't really phase the cafe owner though. She was used to it all. Everything had to be saved for necessities. That being food, water, shelter, and the cafe.

 

After a whole day of being out, Tiffany finally came home. With a few things that the other girls had generously bought for her, she s into her apartment room and dropped everything on her couch. Her eyes lazily settled on the clock above the television and found it best to just go to sleep. It was late, she had work the next day, and her bed was calling her. Quickly changing into pajamas and squeezing between her covers, Tiffany began to think of tomorrow. Just before she drifted into dream land, one thing popped into her head. I haven't seen TaeTae the whole weekend...

 

 

Finally, it was early Monday morning in the cafe. The sun was up, yet the clock was just past seven. Tiffany took a few steps into the cafe when she noticed someone standing in the split between the counters. The signature white clothing and top hat was something she couldn't mistake. It was Taeyeon. A wide smile slapped itself on the shop owner's features. “TaeTae.” She called out warmly.

 

“Good morning Fany-ah.” Taeyeon cooed. Her voice was just perfect in the latter's ears. She hadn't heard the soothing voice for days and it was secretly driving her insane. Those few words were just enough to pacify her slight obsession over the being. The white clothing, the white top hat, even the white shoes were something Tiffany missed even just a little.

 

After taking off her coat, Tiffany approached the being and sat in one of the stools, careful not to come into any physical contact with the other girl. “Where were you TaeTae? You didn't even visit me all weekend.” It wasn't until she finished her last sentence did Tiffany realize she was sounding like a whining child.

 

Taeyeon let out a soft chuckle and shook her head. “Saturday and Sunday you couldn't be alone until you got into your room. Even then, you fell asleep in a matter of minutes.” She flashed the latter her toothy smile. “If I had visited you, I wouldn't be surprised if you thought you were dreaming. So instead, I went to my world and relaxed.”

 

“My world.” Does she mean heaven? Tiffany's silence caught the angelic being off guard. She was expecting her Troubled One to protest and reason as to why she couldn't be alone. Heck, Taeyeon was expecting her to even complain and rant about how her friends were constantly bugging her to hang out. The silence was slowly driving the Guardian crazy, but she made sure to stay composed the whole time. “Say something Fany-ah.”

 

Tilting her head from one side to the other, Tiffany jutted out her bottom lip before finally asking, “TaeTae, what do you mean 'my world'? Does that have something to do with Guardians and Genies?” She paused for a moment, remembering how Taeyeon never answered her questions from days ago. Suddenly, a light bulb in her brain went off. This was the perfect time to ask now. If asking nicely want's going to work, Tiffany had another thing up her sleeve to make the Guardian answer; beg. “TaeTae can you please tell me what Guardians and Genies have to do with each other? You've left me clueless for days and I wanna know what's going on!” The girl in white said nothing for a moment, making Tiffany turn to plan B. “C'mon! Quit avoiding my question! I wanna know! I'll do anything! Just please tell me!”

 

Her Troubled One's sudden outburst startled Taeyeon, but she didn't show it. Instead, the angelic figure rose an eyebrow to the latter's words. “Anything?” Tiffany was hesitant, but slowly she nodded. She must really be curious. Taeyeon nodded and pushed aside the flap of her blazer. She reached inside and pulled out a manila folder containing a small stack of papers. “I came across this while I was resting in your office.” The Guardian tossed the file on top of the counter right across from Tiffany. Her onyx orbs watched as the cafe owner opened the folder, staring at the first piece of paper. “I'll answer any question you want to know about Guardians and Genies as soon as you have a stable method on how to pay for your bills.”

 

Tiffany's jaw dropped at the proposal. She didn't want to think about bills and she most certainly didn't want to waste her precious talk time about mystical beings over the stupid financial problems! “But Taeyeon! That's not fair! I can't figure out how to pay for the bills! It's impossible!” She stared down at the big number circled in red that was meant to be paid by the end of the month. There was no way she could pay for everything. Not unless she wanted to use her wish, but she didn't exactly want to waste in on money either.

 

Reaching over, Taeyeon tapped the circled number. “Then you better start thinking.” Her tone was serious as she stared Tiffany right in the eyes. “You figuring out how to keep this cafe is more important than playing 20 questions with me.” You'll never remember anything I tell you anyways. The Guardian stood up straight and fixed her blazer as she watched Tiffany sift through the stack of papers. This was going to be a long morning.

 

 

Tiffany had moved to a table in the front of the shop with her stack of papers. More inventory, more money managing, and more boring business related paperwork. Sure the weekend was all fun and games, but now she had to think of a way to pay for everything. Both Yuri and Jessica were late again, but Tiffany didn't mind it really. A certain white clothed companion was sitting across from her watching her scribble money related nonsense with numbers and words.

 

A sigh escaped from Tiffany's lips as she stared down at the paper she was just writing on. “Okay, I give up.” She stated and leaned back in her seat, her eyes still glued onto the parchment. Taeyeon stared at her with raised eyebrows hoping she would explain. “I can't do paperwork. I can't figure out where I'm gonna get the money from. I...I need a break from all of this.”

 

The store owner placed her elbows on the table as she began to rub her temples with two fingers. This was the only way she could relax for now. All of the money managing was nothing but stressing her. Plus, Taeyeon wasn't telling her the things between Guardians and Genies so every now and then the question and potential answers would interfere with what she could do to save this business. Nothing was coming into her head besides the wish, and she really didn't want to lose Taeyeon's company over something so selfish.

 

[Tappa Tap Tap]

 

“Hmm?” Tiffany looked to the floor from where the soft noise came from. There she spotted her pen rolling towards Taeyeon. With a hefty sigh, she locked eyes with her Guardian. “Taeyeon, can you hand me my pen? It's next to your foot.”

 

Glancing down, Taeyeon spotted the writing utensil and picked it up. While handing it over, she grinned and just couldn't resist from saying, “Oh, so you're commanding me like a Genie huh?” A soft chuckle escaped her lips. “We aren't Genies.”

 

Hearing Taeyeon's catchphrase caused the latter's eyebrows to furrow. There it was again.   It's as if she wants me to ask only for her to tell me she won't answer!   The questions buzzing in Tiffany's head were killing her. Everything about Genies and Guardians was tearing her apart inside. She couldn't think straight and all her mind ever focused on was that topic! “TaeTae.” Tiffany called out seriously.

 

Taeyeon's eyebrows raised curiously to her Troubled One. “Neh?”

 

“Why do you keep saying that?” Tiffany's voice intertwined with irritation. Her head tilted slightly, anticipating an answer. She so desperately wanted to know.

 

A slight grin pulled at the Guardian's lips. “Say what?” She chuckled softly.

 

Figuring that Taeyeon was purposely acting stupid was annoying the owner. She was already stressed from the financial problems, she might as well give Tiffany answers that weren't driving her insane! A gentle sigh escaped the younger one as she rose her hands to make air quotes. “ 'We aren't Genies'.”

 

The Guardian locked her eyes with the store owner. That smile was still plastered on her face. “Because we aren't.” She leaned back in her seat, folding her arms across her chest. Her onyx orbs were ready to watch her Troubled One's response.

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes as her air quote hands lowered. Now she knew that Taeyeon was avoiding the question. She had to press on. Giving up now would be what exactly what Taeyeon wanted...well that's what she thought. “But I don't understand why you have to emphasize it so much by repeating it.” When the latter didn't seem like answering anytime soon, Tiffany sighed heavily and folded her arms. “Look Taeyeon, I'm really trying to figure all of this money stuff out but I just can't because all I'm thinking about is what Genies and Guardians have to do with each other. So please, can you just answer me? Maybe then I can start thinking straight.”

 

Hearing those words made Taeyeon understand that she was serious. She probably was going crazy for not knowing the answer. Adding stressful things such as money management and business handling on top of that, and the Guardian could see how her Troubled One's head was most likely going to explode. Tiffany was asking her for days and she was either avoiding the question or just not even there to begin with. “Alright.” Taeyeon spoke up. “I suppose answering your question is the least I can do.” She nodded once. The Guardian sat forward and laced her fingers together. Her onyx orbs stared deeply into Tiffany's eyes. She could easily see the satisfaction and anticipation to the answer. “The reason why I keep saying that is because...” Taeyeon chuckled with a grin that was obviously hiding a secret. “Because, you should never trust them.” Her voice was soothing yet captivating.

 

Raised eyebrows were a sure sign of disbelief. “I shouldn't trust them?” Tiffany repeated, her eyes now pulling into a straight line. So that means they're...real? With just one simple answer, Tiffany's mind was already racing in circles.

 

Taeyeon chuckled softly as she shook her head. “Never.” That grin she flashed was creepy. It held secrets that would make one hesitate to ask about. But backing out now wasn't on Tiffany's list. Who knows how much longer her Guardian would run her in circles before finally answering again? She had to find out everything now.

 

A huffed out sigh greeted the air as the shop owner placed a hand under her chin, trying to put her Guardian's words together. Nothing. She needed more information. “Why?” The Guardian looked away. Was she thinking about what secrets to reveal? One thing was obvious, she knew all the answers, Tiffany was just hoping that she'd tell it all. When no response came from the latter, she decided to press on. “Are you two...enemies? Like Angels and Demons?”

 

A smirk sprawled across the Guardian's face as she folded her arms. “Angels and Demons.” She chuckled softly, as if she had heard a joke that lost its comedic punchline. Her eyes settled on her Troubled One. “Everyone thinks that they're the ones that fight to the death. Right?” Slowly Tiffany's head nodded. Even she believed that much about them. “Well whoever believes that is wrong. Yeah they're sworn enemies, but they're separated too far from each other to even clash.” The Guardian diverted her eyes away from the latter.

 

After a moment, Taeyeon settled her attention back on the one across from her. “For Angels and Demons, they have their own sanctuary, heaven and hell. Correct?” The Troubled One nodded to her. “Well, they're stuck in their sanctuaries and they can't leave. Not unless they're claiming a soul from Earth to be taken in for judgment.” Again Taeyeon's eyes diverted away from Tiffany. Her mind was swarming with other thoughts that she wished weren't in her head.

 

Tiffany felt the uneasy aura coming off of Taeyeon. She was losing her to a mental war going on in her Guardian's head. She had to bring her back. “So Guardians and Genies are sworn enemies too. Right?” As much as she was trying to keep their conversation alive, Tiffany was also trying to make sure she had comprehended everything correctly.

 

The sound of her Troubled One's voice made Taeyeon's eyes quickly lock onto Tiffany. Her jumbled mind now blank as she let the lingering words in the air register. “Neh.” She nodded slightly. “But, we're more like...” Taeyeon's lips twisted slightly in thought as she tried to figure out the words that were meant to be said. “We're more like silent enemies.” Her eyes locked with Tiffany, rather pleased of her choice of words.

 

“Silent enemies?” Tiffany's eyebrows furrowed. Just when she thought that all her questions would be answered, new ones would enter her head and buzz around like an annoying fly.

 

Taeyeon nodded her head. “Neh. Very few people believe in Genies and no one knows of Guardians aside from the Troubled Ones, but even they forget everything after their wish is made. Us, we're silent enemies to the living world, but we feud like no other.”

 

She paused, seeing a confused look in Tiffany's eyes. “You see, Genies and Guardians, we don't have our own world...per se. There is no heaven or hell for us. Instead, we share our 'sanctuary' by both lingering in the middle realm where souls are judged. Because of this, we fight the most.” Her head shook slightly. “Angels and Demons aren't the ones that fight each other to the death...that's us.” Taeyeon locked her eyes on Tiffany who was completely captivated by her words. “It's Genies and Guardians that get all bloodied and bruised during a confrontation.” Her eyes pondered for a moment, as if something were distracting her.

 

It was quiet between them. She then glanced at Tiffany. “Guardians and Genies have fought in a bloody war for so long, killing each other constantly, that our bosses had to separate us from ever meeting each other on the middle realm. Thousands of years before I became a Guardian, they had placed a large river to divide us. It's not just an ordinary river though. It's a bottomless river of souls that are waiting their turn to be placed into either heaven or hell. I'd say it's working though, none of us dare to step too close to it.”

 

Tiffany's lips pursed. “Why? What happens if you get too close?” She leaned in slowly. The look on Taeyeon's face was one that made her seem suspicious. It was as if her exposing what happens in the river was the biggest secret ever.

 

A sudden hand reached towards Tiffany, making the latter lean away in reflex. “Please!” Taeyeon pleaded with a raspy voice. “Please convince him to take me into heaven!” The look in her eyes was eerie. Tiffany wanted to look away from her Guardian but she just couldn't. Something kept her drawn in. “I did nothing wrong! Don't let the other take me!” It was spine chilling seeing her Guardian like that. Tiffany shuddered at the display. If this is just a reenactment...I don't want to see the real deal. Taeyeon then composed herself with a creepy grin and reverted back into her old position. “And if you're too close, they pull you in the river where others cling on, forever begging for their acceptance into paradise.”

 

Gulping hard at Taeyeon's words, Tiffany's lips pursed as she tried her best to relax in her seat. How could anyone be able to keep their sanity if they lingered in a world close to that? The Troubled One's eyes stared down at the laced fingers before rising to meet the grin across from her. “You're able to poof in and out of places you want to though. Can't you just poof to the other side of the river?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “You're right that we can poof anywhere we please, but that ability is taken away from us in our realm. The bosses knew that we'd use that to cross the river. Especially those who really want to fight the other. They thought of everything.” She paused for a moment to think of everything. “The middle realm may not be paradise to you or the others still living, but to us, it's home. We do have one advantage over those in the other ends; we get to watch over you. They can't. The living think that their loved ones are watching over them but they're not, that's our job. We watch what goes on with the billions of people on the planet. We watch everything everyone does on all parts of the world. We even hear the other side planning on what to do with a few of you living people.” Taeyeon looked away, as if disgusted with the thoughts she quickly remembered.

 

“Planning? What for?” Tiffany tilted her head. Her Guardian's last sentence intrigued her. What does she mean by that?

 

Taeyeon's expression turned cold. It made a chill run down the Tiffany's back, wishing she could take back the question she just asked. “For when the come to Earth.”

 

A pair of astonished eyes blinked. “They can come on Earth?” The Troubled One looked to the ceiling for a moment. She was trying hard to imagine people with colorful vests and smokey tails instead of feet walking around. None came to mind besides the characters in movies.

 

“Neh.” Taeyeon nodded. Her voice brought the latter back into reality. “They can.” Taeyeon's eyes glanced away before settling back on Tiffany. By the looks of things, the Guardian was having a hard time saying whatever was on her mind. Finally she added, “They tend to go after Troubled Ones.”

 

Concern overcame the shop owner as she warily searched the cafe. “T-Troubled Ones? That's like me right? W-Why? Why would they go after someone like me? Can I even see them? Can others see them? What do they-”

 

Story teller Taeyeon lifted her hand to stop Tiffany's questions. Taeyeon knew how uneasy the other girl was, but she also knew that if she didn't calm down it'd be hard to understand everything. “Unlike us Guardians, Genies can be seen by the living. They can interact with their surroundings as if they were a regular person. They even look like a regular person. Their prey can be anyone, ranging from the elderly to even kids, but they're restricted to anyone under the age of 10.” She paused and sat back in her seat. “Their boss said so. As much as he loves seeing others suffer, even he found it quite unfair for unsuspecting children to ruin their own lives with careless wishes.”

 

Following suit of her Guardian, Tiffany folded her arms across her chest and leaned back. “Hmph. Who knew he actually had a heart?”

 

“Oh, he doesn't.” Taeyeon quickly added. My boss suggested it.” She grinned. “They feuded for a while over the whole ordeal. Luckily for you and everyone else, when they fight it doesn't effect Earth. Otherwise, there probably wouldn't be a planet right now.” The latter looked at Taeyeon with wide eyes. Though no words came out, the Guardian knew what was running through her mind. “When they argue, it's the middle realm that takes the heat. There's earthquakes, the river of souls spill onto the land, storms brew, and so on. It happens so often that we've gotten used it it.” She shrugged simply. “Perhaps that's why Genies escape to Earth so often,” This time Taeyeon was mumbling to herself. “off to gallivant on Earth to make a Troubled One loose their Guardian, then go back and trick them again.”

 

Leaning forward, the Troubled One locked eyes with her Guardian. She heard every word her mystical friend had mumbled. “Genies can come to Earth more than once?!”

 

Looking up, Taeyeon nodded again, not quite expecting Tiffany to hear her. “Neh. They're tricksters. They make you forget about your Guardian, and then come back to grant you three wishes. Each of which have a catch though. If you wish for eternal fame, they might blame you for a massacre. If you wish for riches, everything would be stolen. Genies tend to go after Troubled Ones so they waste their one and only wish on something useless, like going back a few months to buy that new car that was on sale.”

 

All the talk about losing wishes over something that could possibly be ridiculous made Tiffany realize one thing; she better treasure hers. “So, if a Genie meets with a Troubled One, then the first wish made is the one given by the Guardian?”

 

“Neh. The wishes are stacked upon each other in order of who entered their lives first. It would be the same ruling if a Guardian interferes with a Troubled One when they have a Genie with them. Although, no Guardian has ever interfered with the Genie's services.” She made a bit of a sour face.

 

Tiffany's eyebrows furrowed. “Why hasn't a Guardian ever interfered with a Genie?” She couldn't understand it. If Guardians were there to help people, why wouldn't they help them before it's too late?

 

Rubbing her nape, Taeyeon looked away then back up at Tiffany as she lowered her hand. “Well, when someone is given the chance to make any three wishes they want, they aren't really on the verge of taking their own life now are they? The consequences don't usually happen until all three wishes are made.” She huffed out a sigh. “Usually when a Guardian goes down to fix what happened, the Troubled One won't trust them, presuming that it's just another Genie.” Taeyeon sighed and looked right into Tiffany's eye. Her look was stern. “Don't fall for them...ever.”

 

Bobbing her head up and down, Tiffany finally understood why Taeyeon didn't want her to think of Guardians as Genies. Now she understood why it was her catchphrase from the day they first met. Guardians were on the planet to grant Troubled Ones wishes, to give them a second chance at life in hopes to change things for the better. Genies were there to do the exact opposite. With their eyes still locked on each other, Tiffany questioned, “If you've had a Guardian once, can you have another one later on in life?”

 

Taeyeon's expression turned cold again. “Aniyo. You just have one and then that's it. It's another reason why we Guardian's hate them. Different Genies can come into a person's life more than once. They may not get the same Genie but they still get those three wishes. Plus, Genies can come on and off Earth as they please, causing havoc and chaos on the world. Look at all those politicians that caused wars or the mass murderers believing they were cleansing the world of evil. Chaos was made by the Genies that got into the minds of the people on Earth. While Guardians try our best to help those in need, our plans are corrupted by those evil bastards.” She hissed.

 

The latter nodded again. It was the first time she ever witnessed the hatred that Taeyeon had towards the other beings. “TaeTae.” Her Guardian looked up. “How can I tell if someone is a Ge-”

 

“Red.” She answered quickly. There was no hesitation. Taeyeon was confident with what she said.

 

Tiffany's head tilted. “Red?”

 

“Red.” The Guardian nodded. “Genies always wear red. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, what season, or what year. They always. Wear. Red.” Before Tiffany could ask the most obvious question, Taeyeon continued again. “It's the color from where they came from.”

 

Observant eyes scanned over Taeyeon's outfit. No other color mingled with the mystical being's outfit except the one she was sporting. “And Guardian's wear white?”

 

“Neh. Always. But I don't mind it.” Her eyes peeled off of the other to glance at her clothing. “I like it. My preference is blue, but white is good also.” She smiled before looking up again.

 

Her smile. It was contagious. Here they were talking about something as serious as losing Tiffany's Guardian, but when that dork flashes her smile, the Troubled One can't help but follow along. Back to business. “What are some other ways to tell if someone is a Genie?”

 

“They try to offer you something. Usually it's something luxurious or charming, like a bracelet or diamond watch.” She folded her arms.

 

Tiffany's eyebrows furrowed at the explanation. “I thought all Genies lived in a magic lamp?”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. It was as if she heard that line a million times already. “That's just fairy tales. Originally they did start with lamps, but it's so predictable now. However, the object they offer really is something as antique as a magic lamp. It's usually something so old that you'd wonder where they've gotten it.” Taeyeon's lips pursed gently as she tried to find a better way of wording her answer. “Genies don't disappear into their object and lounge around inside. That's just more movie nonsense.” Her hand shooed the air. “Now, because they own something on Earth, they can come on and off as they please. Just as long as their precious item isn't tampered with. They're only granted to change items once every 1,000 years.” If they last that long.

 

“Okay.” The store owner nodded. “Genies can come on and off Earth as many times as they want as long as they own something, which is usually antique. Got it.” Suddenly her eyebrows furrowed, stopping Taeyeon from continuing with what she was going to say. She knew the curious one had a question. “What happens if you accidentally touch it though? And why does it have to be something antique?”

 

The eagerness in Tiffany's voice made Taeyeon grin. “Touching a Genie's item by accident doesn't make them your Genie. They could probably be owned by someone else.” Her eyes glued onto the latter's intrigued orbs, completely serious once again. “But, if someone does offer it, don't take it...don't even touch it. Purposely reaching and making contact with their offered item will mean that you accept them as your Genie. You willingly accepted them. From there they will follow you around everywhere and annoy you to death, begging you to make your three wishes.”

 

A slight pause was in the air as the Guardian's words began to sink in. “Why would they rush someone to make their wishes? What does that do to them?” She raised an eyebrow.

 

Taeyeon stared her Troubled One down. It was a sure sign that she was serious again. The look she was giving now was possibly her most serious face since they've ever met. “After someone makes their three wishes-”

 

[Ding]

 

The sudden bell chime of the door opening cut off the story teller. “Uhm. Hey Tiff. Are you okay?” A slightly American accented voice emerged.

 

Tiffany rose her head instantly at the voice. Her eyes quickly settled on Yuri and Jessica staring at her with questioning eyebrows. “Oh. Uhm. Yeah. I'm fine.” Just act normal Tiff.

 

Jessica's eyes shifted to the paper work on the table then back at her boss. “Managing money must be really interesting huh?” She teased with a small grin.

 

Glancing down at the boring paper work, Tiffany shifted her eyes back to where Taeyeon was sitting in hopes she could help her build a lie. Instead, she found the chair across from her completely empty. “Uhh...” Her signature eye-smile emerged. “Yup! It's really exciting. You should try it.” She fibbed.

 

Yuri shifted onto one foot, completely unconvinced. “Sure~” She played along sarcastically. “Tiffany, are you okay? You've been acting...weird since your mother's third year anniversary.”

 

“Uhm...” Diverting her attention onto the table, Tiffany decided to just gather all the paper work. She knew she was probably acting weird to them, but the minute her mom came into the conversation, she knew she needed it to end. Right now, she needed to get her mind off of things. She needed Taeyeon.

 

“Yuri. I can't believe you said that.” Jessie grumbled with a slap towards the youngest one. Tiffany didn't react, but she could hear her loud and clear. “You know she's still sensitive about that.”

 

Slowly, Tiffany's head lifted. “Oh, don't worry about it you two. I'm fine.” She smiled warmly, noticing Yuri's pursed lips. “All this financing thing is just really confusing me today.” The store owner stood and tucked the pen behind her ear, the stack of parchment now tucked in the manila folder in her hand. “I'll be in the back. Let me know if you need help.” Pushing in the chair, their boss squeezed between the pair and slipped into the back room.

 

Tossing the manila folder onto her desk, the young store owner sighed and plopped her onto the seat of the desk chair. “TaeTae, we're alone now.” She mumbled softly. As she waited for her Guardian to magically pop into her office, Tiffany reached over and flipped open the folder, spotting the large amount of money all circled in red. How am I gonna pay for this? Tiffany tried to think of a plausible way to pay for the bills without sacrificing her wish. That only left her with an empty mind.

 

Thinking her Guardian was taking forever to appear, Tiffany glanced around, surprised that Taeyeon was at the edge of the desk staring at her with folded arms. “Oh, I didn't know you were already here.” She mumbled with a small smile. Her mind still cluttered with the cafe's financial problems. “So what were you saying about Genies and their wishes?” Her body turned in her seat to face Taeyeon.

 

Silence.

 

The white clothed girl stared deep into the latter's eyes. She was completely consumed in her thoughts as she stayed frozen in that stance. Before Tiffany could question her Guardian what was wrong, Taeyeon finally answered, “I think that's enough about the mystical world. I've said enough for today. You...” Her eyes flickered to the circled number on the desk. “You need to go back to figuring out how to fix this.” She pointed a finger at the piece of paper, making the latter look at what she was referring to.

 

Tiffany's head quickly snapped in Taeyeon's direction. Her mind was already jumbled with numbers and bills. Not to mention Yuri bringing up her mother's death again. Couldn't she take a rest? “But TaeTae-”

 

“Aniyo.” Taeyeon's voice was firm. “You want to keep this cafe? You have to start working hard for it.” Her arm folded back across her chest.

 

The store owner glanced at the paperwork again. Her mind suddenly starting to jumble. She had already tried figuring things out, but just like before, she would always be left unsuccessful. How could she possibly get all the money? “But-”

 

“Now.” The look in Taeyeon's eyes was indeed serious.

 

Tiffany didn't want to be stared at with those soul piercing eyes. It sort of scared her. Finally, the store owner nodded. “Arasso. They're due in three weeks. I shouldn't mess around with such little time.”

 

“Neh.” She silently sighed in relief when she saw Tiffany pick up her pen again. “Now get to it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

N/A: Hey everyone! I got a new chapter up! In just 3 days! Yeah, I was really working my off with this chapter. I felt so bad that I left all of you still curious! Thankfully, I had about half of it already written down [when I was chapter hopping] so I just had to write a beginning and end to it. I'm sorry if my explination about the mystical world was...confusing? When I was polishing it, I realized that I had written a lot of the conversation out of order so I had to fix it and everything.

 

Anyways, Happy New Years everyone! Who's ready for their comeback on the 1st?! I am! Hell yeah! Their dance teaser looks amazing and EVERYTHING! I can't wait to see live performances and all of that! OMG I can't wait! *sqeuals* AYO GG! LEGGO! xD

 

*clears throat* Uhm. Anyways. I hope everyone liked this chapter! ^^ Tell me what you-

 

Taeyeon: Hey dongsaeng. Why do you do that at the top of the chapter?

 

Uhm...do what unnie?

 

Taeyeon: Why do you keep changing the coloring for the part that says "Chapter" and then the number?

 

Tiffany: Ooh! I noticed that too! In the first chapter everything was pink! Then in the others it had blue. Now this one is all mixed.

 

Oh. Well, the color depends on the character appearance. Taeyeon-unnie never officially appeared in the 1st chapter. So everything was all pink. In all the other chapters with blue, that's when she appears. If it's completely mixed like this one, then that means you two were in the chapter a majority of the time. I only started mixing the colors today though.

 

Taeny: *nods*

 

Tiffany: Smart dongsaeng! *pats Jeo's head*

 

Aigoo...Well, I hope you liked the chapter!

 

-Jeo