The Corner Cafe

The Guardian's Wish

 

[Chapter 1]

The Corner Cafe

 

 

 

 

It's been three years...” A soft and gentle voice chirped. The sun had just barely emerged from the horizon, revealing a 21 year old girl with long brown hair. She was kneeling in front of a tombstone with a small bouquet of three pink roses. Gently, she rested the flowers in front of the tombstone and touched her forehead to the cool grass. She stayed in that position as ran subconsciously, mumbling a prayer. Half way through, tears began to well in her eyes. The sorrow and pain were enough to tell how much this girl was attached to the fallen. Memories filled her head bringing both joy and sadness to her heart.

 

After her prayer, her eyes opened and the welled tears finally spilled over. She sat up and wiped away the trail of tears, though more tainted her cheeks. Then suddenly, the girl began to talk. About what? About everything. She spoke into the wind of what happened in the past year. How her cafe that she owned had it's usual customers that all became friends with her and the staff. How she regrets not going into more accounting courses to further educate her business skills, but now can't go back to school because of the shop. How her friends threw her a surprise party and took her to a karaoke place to celebrate her birthday. She covered it all.

 

A gentle sigh escaped her lips as she looked to the sky. “Are you watching over me?” Just then, she could have sworn something had wrapped around her pinky. When the girl looked down, nothing greeted her hopeful eyes. Only her loose fist came into view. A tiny smirk grew on her face. “How silly am I? To think that you'd be coming back? I'd need a miracle for that to happen.” Her fingers laced together in her lap as she drooped her head forward. After a while, she looked up and read the tombstone again, releasing a sigh. “I have to go now okay? I'll be back next year, I promise.”

 

The girl tried her best to compose herself as another tear fell over. She stood up and bowed at the tombstone again. “I miss you.” Her voice shook. Standing up straight, she read the tombstone once more. “I'll always be your Tiffany.” The edges of her lips quivered into a smile as she tried hard to hold back her tears. “Saranghae...Umma...” It was then that Tiffany's tears spilled over constantly.

 

Standing at her mother's grave and staring at the picture made her heart ache. It was just too much to handle. Wiping away each and every tear that rolled over would be no use. Another would simply take its place. Tiffany gulped hard, trying not to break down completely. She would probably be there for another couple hours before building up even the tiniest bit of courage to just stand.

 

Trying to be the strong girl that she was, Tiffany pivoted on the balls of her feet to face her back to the grave. Her head tilted up as she looked to the clear blue sky. What was she looking for? Hope. Any sign of hope to help her get through the day. “If I could only have one wish...” Tiffany mumbled senselessly into the sky. She looked forward once more and huffed out a soft sigh before walking away.

 

Wanting the sorrowful memories to leave her head, Tiffany made sure to make her way straight to her cafe. It was a corner cafe a couple blocks away from her apartment. She opened it just a year ago in memory of her mom. It was something the both of them wanted to do together, but obviously plans were changed. At first Tiffany didn't want to, but since she had to sell the house they were once living in, what else could she remember her mom by? Everything in the house had to be sold in order to pay off bills for her new apartment and the shop. A whole house for one girl wasn't reasonable. Although, Tiffany was grateful for the basic knowledge of money management that her mother taught her. Without it, she probably would have lost the cafe in the first couple payments.

 

Where was the rest of her family to help her though? They were all back in America. After her parents had divorced, only she and her mother came to South Korea to start a new life. Her two older siblings and dad stayed overseas. After the passing, Tiffany's father only sent her money for college until she graduated from high school. Once she got her diploma, the money was gone and she was left on her own being told, “Welcome to the adult world.”

 

She felt abandoned, but at the same time it was what motivated her to keep going. Tiffany wanted to prove everyone wrong. She could make it in the 'adult world' even if she was alone. The shop opened, Tiffany hired her high school buddies Jessica and Yuri to work at the cafe, and business had boomed...for the first couple of weeks. After that, the number of customers began to fall dramatically, to the point where it was hard to keep up with all the payments. Jessica and Yuri's parents were generous enough to donate money when Tiffany truly needed it to keep the cafe going until she was stable enough to run it on her own. After all, no cafe, no jobs for their daughters. After every payment, Tiffany realized the amount of donated money started to fall. She couldn't blame them though, it was her cafe, not theirs.

 

Finally strolling into the corner cafe, Tiffany let out a sigh and took a look around. There in the dead center in an L shaped fashion was the main counter with the longer potion of the counter divided into thirds. In the very back section, against the back wall, was the sink area. The middle section was where all the drink brewing was done and lastly, the third section was where the register and other little desserts, such as chocolate and candies, were displayed. The short ended counter part was where customers could sit for a bar styled atmosphere. A small opening between the bar and register served as a passageway for the workers. Mounted on the back wall above the counter and “Employees Only” double doors was the chalkboard menu with the usual items up for sale. Everything looked the same. It was a small cafe, and that's what Tiffany liked about it. However, it was also this fact that made her wonder if it was the reason for her loss of customers. Was the cafe too small?

 

The unusual smell of coffee suddenly intruded her nose. No one usually ordered it. Her eyes scanned the empty cafe. There were only the employees and two customers; a guy and a girl, both of which Tiffany didn't know the names of. Judging from where the smell came from, she figured the girl was the one that bought the coffee, though her back was to the shop owner.

 

Her eyes raised to meet her best friend Jessica at the cash register. Her long auburn hair was Tiffany's favorite hair style on her friend. Though the girl went through many hair colors and different lengths, the hair she suited now was always her favorite. The warm smile Jessica was giving made her slap on a small smile as well. Without thinking, Tiffany's feet moved her to behind the counter where Jessica quickly wrapped her arms around her. “Hey Jessi. Thanks for opening the shop today.” Tiffany subconsciously said in English.

 

“Don't worry about it, Tiff.” Jessica replied back in the American language. The auburn haired girl was also from the states, but their family decided it was best to move to their ancestor's soil when times were getting tough. Her friend's gentle hands rubbed Tiffany's back in comfort. Although she didn't know the pain that Tiffany was going through, she knew to be there for her.

 

Once their hug broke, Yuri emerged through the double doors and greeted her boss with a tight hug. “Annyeong Tiffany.” She mumbled copying what the other American had done. “How are you?”

 

Tiffany broke the hug and looked down. “I'm fine.” Her head raised to give Yuri a smile, though both employees could see the sadness behind it. “Did anything come in the mail today?”

 

Both employees looked at each other then at their boss. “Tiff. I think it'd be best to discuss it after work.” Jessica spoke up. Behind her was a nodding Yuri with a wary smile.

 

“Uhm.” The shop owner's eyebrows furrowed. “Arasso. Let me just put my things away really quick.” She muttered before turning and pushing past the double doors. In the back hallway were stored up ingredients on shelves ranging from kettles to coffee beans ready to be grounded. On the adjacent wall was a big refrigerator storing the perishable necessities. Further down were three doors; the bathroom, the employees lounge, and an extra storage room that Tiffany turned into a manager's office.

 

Strolling down the hallway, Tiffany sighed heavily and ran a hand through her hair. I wonder what it is this time... Tiffany was no fool, she knew that every time they wanted to 'discuss' something after work, it meant that the bills had come in...again. Either that or some very important news that would just put more stress on the lonesome girl. Sure Tiffany had Jessica and Yuri there, but that was all she had. She had no family to talk to, no pets because of her apartment regulations, and she certainly had no lover. Though she smiled so much, her heart was aching and slowly chipping down to nothing.

 

 

 

 

Emerging from the double doors again, Tiffany wandered over to her American friend. “Hey Jessi, can you tie the back of my apron?” Again ran in her hometown language.

 

Jessica turned to face her friend, who now had no jacket but her head through the loop of an apron. “Aww, Tiff. You don't have to wear that you know. It's only for employees.” The auburn haired girl gently knocked on Tiffany's head. “Babo.”

 

Tiffany giggled and gently rubbed her injured head. “I know, but I'm an employee too. Besides,” She turned sideways to model the apron. “It's pink. You know how much I love pink. Now c'mon Jessi. Please?” Again her back turned to her friend.

 

“Arasso.” Jessica let out a defeated huff and tied the apron around her friend's waist. “But you take it easy today. You deserve it.”

 

Turning around to face her friend, Tiffany nodded and gave Jessica a hug. “I will. I just need to get my mind off the whole thing you know?”

 

Jessica nodded again before breaking their hug and gently pushing her towards the edge of the counter. “Then do your specialty and make friends with the customers.” She smiled and shooed her friend away. When her boss didn't really move, she gave her a quick slap to the and smiled.

 

A soft yelp burst from between Tiffany's lips as she rubbed her bottom. Turning around to give her friend a glare, she could only smile when she saw the grin that Jessica was giving her. “Okay, okay.” Tiffany smiled before rounding the counter and examining the seating area. There was only one person left, and that was the girl that ordered the coffee. With a soft breath to calm her nerves, she joined the side of the girl and tapped her shoulder. “Excuse me, do you mind if I join you?”

 

The girl turned her head to look up at Tiffany and smiled. “Huh? Oh, go ahead.” She stated warmly as she waved a hand to the empty seat in front of her.

 

However, Tiffany stood there a little bewildered. “Yuri?” Her head tilted questioningly. But I thought she was working today? And wasn't she wearing a pink apron too?

 

The other girl tilted her head as well. “Yuri? Aniyo. Yoona imnida.” She smiled warmly again.

 

“Yoona?” Tiffany blinked. Just then, Yuri had emerged from the double doors with a bundle of cups. “Oh. Mianhae. I thought you were my employee. You two look alike.” She giggled and sat down across from the customer, this time giving her own smile.

 

Yoona took a sip of her coffee and turned to look at the employee. “Omo, we do look alike.” She giggled as well before facing the shop owner again. The customer looked at Tiffany a little captivated. “I really like your eye smiles.” She finally stated.

 

Tiffany's eyebrows came together. “My eye smile? Oh! Gamsahamnida.” The shop owner bowed her head a little. Once again showing her eye smiles to the customer. “So what brings you to my cafe?”

 

“Your cafe?” The latter simply nodded. “Wow. Well, I'm a waitress at the new restaurant across the street over there.” She pointed a finger towards the shop with a “Grand Opening!” banner across the entrance. The sign slightly flowing in the wind. “It's my first job so I don't want to be late, but I came too early. So I came here to get something that will keep me up for the day while I wait for my shift.” Yoona smiled and sipped her coffee again.

 

A smile grew on Tiffany's face. “Well that's great news! I bet you'll do great at your new job. Oh and by the way, Tiffany imnida. If you ever need anything then feel free to ask me, Jessica, or Yuri alright?” She gestured to the employees behind the counter that were laughing. “Jessica's with the light brown hair, Yuri's your look-a-like.” Yoona's eyes ventured to the employees before nodding. “I'll let you enjoy your coffee now. I hope you come back soon.”

 

“Neh.” Yoona nodded to the shop owner. “I'll be sure to come back. Your coffee here is really good.” She lifted up the drink and took another sip happily.

 

With that, Tiffany stood up and bowed before turning her back. Just before she reached the others, Yoona let out a soft giggle making her turn to face the customer. “Did you say something?”

 

Yoona looked over at Tiffany and shook her head with a smile. “Aniyo. I just...remembered something. Sorry to trouble you.” Her explanation was vague, but it was enough to make Tiffany turn around again.

 

That was weird. Was she laughing at her own joke or something? Tiffany shook her head to get the thought out before finally joining the others at the counter. “Did Hyoyeon come today?”

 

Yuri turned to look at her boss. “Aniyo. She's probably still dancing before her classes start. You know how she is.”

 

Tiffany nodded at the deduction. “I guess she's gonna join us in the evening then.” Staring at her worker, Tiffany tilted her head slightly. “I completely thought that girl was you.” She stated pointing her thumb at the customer who still had a bit of a smirk on her face.

 

The others looked over. “Huh, she does look a little like you Yuri.” Jessica nodded in agreement.

 

“A little? I think you mean a lot, Sica. Maybe I have a clone.” Yuri waved mystical fingers at the auburn haired girl with a smirk.

 

Just then, Yoona's soft laughing caught the attention of the three workers. Each stared at her with confused looks. Thinking that someone was watching, she turned to see pairs of eyes staring right at her. “Oh! Mianhae!” The customer bowed her head before standing up. “Uhm.” Yoona looked at her wrist watch. “I've got to go now! Gamsahamnida!” In a flash, the look-a-like stood up and quickly left with her drink.

 

It was silent for a moment. “Huh. I wonder what that was all about.” Yuri muttered.

 

“I don't know. She was like that after I stopped talking to her.” Tiffany looked at the two.

 

Jessica tilted her head. “Actually, she's been like that ever since she came in. Giggling and kind of muttering to herself.” She paused in though. “I wonder if she's mentally stable.”

 

The other two looked at her. “I don't know. I just hope we don't have anymore guests like that.” Yuri mumbled. “Especially if they look like me.”

 

 

 

 

“Closing time.” Tiffany stated as she went to the front of the cafe and flipped the open sign to close. Soon after, she pulled a string to a neon sign, switching off the once lit cup of tea that hung at the window. Knowing that no more people would come in, Tiffany let out a sigh and strolled to the counter top.

 

A blonde girl in a ponytail looked up at the shop owner, watching her flip and switch everything. “Oh, so you're gonna kick me out now? Just like that?” She joked with a smile. “You're not even gonna wait for your last customer to leave?” Her eyes catching the latter's smirk.

 

“Hyoyeon, if we waited for you to leave, then the cafe would never close.” Jessica stated bluntly.

 

Everyone else grinned as the blonde stood up and slung her backpack over one shoulder and joined the workers at the bar with the rest of her drink. “It's because I like hanging out with all of you.” She sipped her beverage. “Sorry I couldn't come in the morning though, Nicole wanted to practice until the last minute.”

 

Yuri waved a shooing hand towards the girl. “Don't worry about it Hyo. We know you like her. I know I'd spend as much time as I can with the girl I like.” She grinned triumphantly, suddenly bumping shoulders with Jessica.

 

A pair of eyebrows raised as the orbs beneath them watched the two figures smiling at the little bump. So Yuri likes Jessi hmm? Tiffany turned her head away the minute she saw Jessica's cheeks suddenly start to redden. And to think I had a chance with her. It's a good thing I didn't confess... Her eyes then met with Hyoyeon's. “You should invite her here sometime, maybe we could find out if she likes you too.” Tiffany eye smiled to her dancing friend. “Not to mention I'd be getting more profit.” She joked while clapping happily. Although mentally she wanted the extra money.

 

“Sounds like a great idea Tiff.” Jessica piped in. “You should definitely do that Hyo.”

 

Tiffany turned her head to look at the two. At least they were a good distance apart and not completely over each other as she expected them to be. Though, jealousy built in her and she wanted to end their happy mood...No, she just wanted to talk business. “So what came in the mail today that you wanted to talk about?”

 

Yuri and Jessica looked at each other with pursed lips. “It's bills again.” The raven haired one chirped glancing warily at her boss.

 

A sigh escaped Tiffany's lips. “Okay. Which one this time? Electricity? Gas? Water?...Property?” In an attempt to calm down, she ran a hand through her hair.

 

No response.

 

Jessica's lips pursed tightly before she made eye contact with her American friend. “It's...it's all of them.”

 

The news made Tiffany's heart ache. “A-All of them? At once?”

 

Yuri nodded. “We don't know why they billed you all at once, but it happened...”

 

That means they're all due on the same week...That's practically impossible for me! Tiffany was frozen as thoughts continuously zoomed in and out of her head. How am I gonna pay this?! The companies were supposed to bill at different times like I requested!...Help...I need their parents help. Her eyes then raised to meet Yuri and Jessica's eyes. “Do you think your parents can help me out?”

 

Again the two looked at each other before back at their friend. “Uhm...My appa said he can't help anymore...” Yuri sheepishly answered. When Tiffany didn't say anything she continued on. “They're having a hard time paying their own bills, but they hope for the best even though they can't donate anymore money.”

 

Tiffany's head slowly nodded as she understood it all. Her eyes then flickered to Jessica in hopes that her parents could help out. Even the tiniest of donated money would be good enough.

 

“I-I'm sorry Tiff.” Jessica chirped. Just that much was enough to make Tiffany's eyes droop to the wooden counter top separating her from them. “With Krystal just graduating and entering college, they need to pay for her expenses too.”

 

Again her head nodded weakly. “I understand. Thanks though.” She lifted her head and gave them warm smiles. “I'll find a way! Don't worry!” Her eyes turned into crescent moons.

 

Listening to the whole conversation, Hyoyeon gripped her cup firmly. “I'll ask my parents if they can donate.” She burst out.

 

Tiffany's head snapped in the direction of the blonde. “Oh no Hyo. They need to pay for your college classes.” She waved a hand towards the girl in refusal. “I can't go to school because I've got to run the shop. Yuri and Jess need to take some time off to raise money for themselves. Classes aren't cheap. You're lucky you can still afford school Hyo.” Behind her were two hung heads. It was all true, none of them were in school because of the money.

 

This only irritated the blonde. She wanted to help! So why wasn't her friend accepting? “Then I'll donate my own money!”

 

“And I'll donate half of my pay check.” Yuri butted in.

 

“Me too.” Jessica added.

 

Still, Tiffany rejected with a shake of her head. “Hyo, you need that money for your dance classes. Remember? Your parents won't pay for those.” Hyoyeon lowered her head as Tiffany faced her employees. “And Jess, you have to pay for your apartment rent. You too Yuri. Besides, even if you donated all of your pay check, it still wouldn't be enough.” The others hung their heads again in disappointment. “Don't worry guys. I'll figure it all out.” She rubbed Hyoyeon's back for reassurance.

 

The Dancing Queen nodded and then hugged Tiffany. “Okay, but if you ever need me, I'm here for you.” She mumbled. Jessica and Yuri rounded the counter and joined in the hug.

 

After a while, Tiffany backed away and gave the others her signature eye smile. “Thanks guys. Everyone should head on home now. It's getting late. I'll lock up.”

 

 

 

 

With everyone now gone, Tiffany went to the back and opened the bills, all of them were unbelievably higher than usual. Still, Tiffany understood where the other charges came from. It was because she couldn't pay the full amount the last time. All the charges just rolled over to the most current bill. I can't pay this! I can't pay any of this! Not even half of it!

 

Out of frustration, the shop owner tossed the bills on the office desk and packed up. She took her usual belongings and locked up the shop. Once outside, Tiffany turned to face the front. I can't keep the cafe umma...I'm sorry. Once I loose this, I'll have nothing in my possession to remember you by. All the memories of what she lost began to rush into her head. The house they lived in was foreclosed, any small items were sold to pay off bills, and now...she was going to lose the cafe too.

 

Tears streaked down her face as she felt disappointment suddenly overtaking her emotions. With that...she ran.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Who's going to take that one?” A voice questioned.

 

Silence.

 

[Crunch, Crunch...]

 

The sound of gravel under someone's shoes filled the air as a pair of feet stepped forward. “I will.” The voice was calm and soothing.

 

“You better hurry then.” The first voice spoke again. “She's going to do something drastic.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

N/A: Hey everyone! Here's the 1st chapter! I know it's not really as impressive or whatever as many of you might have expected, but I'm just not good with intros. I honestly dread writing them because you've got to explain many things just so that everyone is on the same page. As much as I want to jump into the story and all that, I can't. I'm sorry if this chapter is long and what not, I just really wanted to get the basic description out of the way, introduce main characters, etc. You know, all that jazz. Please don't leave after 1 chapter though! I swear my writing gets better later on! Give me a chance please?

 

Anyways, I hope you somewhat enjoyed! Let me know what you think! [Especially when it comes to color or font or whatever. I don't want my readers to go blind!] Alright, stick around for the next chapter! I'll be uploading it soon!

 

-Jeo

 

PS: I know NOTHING about cafe/small business bills and taxes. It's all for the sake of the story. Don't hate me please! >.<