Pinky Promise

The Guardian's Wish

 

Author's Note: I might as well explain this before you start reading so that you won't get confused. I know some Korean words like Umma, unnie, etc. but I just want to point out that when I use "Mom" instead of "Umma" The dialogue is in English. When there's something like "Neh." Or "Aniyo" then of course it's in Korean. I just wanna let you all know before hand, and hopefully I won't have to write "she said in English" constantly. Just letting everyone know. Alright? Here's Chapter 2!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Chapter 2]

Pinky Promise

 

 

 

Tiffany hurried to her apartment room and locked the door, streaks of tears still falling from her face. “I can't take it anymore mom. I'm sorry. I tried so hard to make you proud but it's just impossible when you're not here. I'm losing the cafe and then I'll have nothing.” ran unconsciously, convinced that it was only her mind reciting those words.

 

The shop owner hurried into her bedroom and searched her dresser for her firearm. It was only for safety purposes, but Tiffany had another intention. Strangely she couldn't find the deadly weapon. “Where did it go?!” She cried hysterically. “Where's that damn gun!” Her clothes were tossed up hopelessly into the air as she was now emptying each and every drawer.

 

Nothing.

 

“It's not fair...” She mumbled to herself. Tiffany crashed to her knees as tears built within her eyes. “I just want to see you again mom... I need you...” Her tears spilled over her cheeks. The horrifying memory of what happened 3 years ago suddenly intruding her head.

 

 

 

[Flashback]

 

“How do you like the ice cream Fany-ah?” A gentle voice cooed from the driver's seat. Her eyes wandering over to the 18 year old passenger that was happily enjoying the strawberry pink dessert. Their car waiting for the stop light to turn green.

 

A younger Tiffany looked to her mom and gave the latter a genuine eye smile. “I love it umma. It's been a while since we've had ice cream.” She the sweet treat. “So any ideas of how the cafe will look like?”

 

The older woman shrugged her shoulders. “I don't know yet Fany-ah. It's still in that blueprint stage. Just promise me one thing.”

 

Eyebrows raised from the younger girl. “What's that umma?”

 

“Promise me that you'll try.” She stuck her pinky out to the younger girl. “Even if the cafe and business world isn't successful, at least we can say that we tried. Right?”

 

Tiffany wrapped her pinky around her mom's smallest finger and nodded. “Neh! I promise umma! I'll try super hard and we're gonna be so successful! Then we'll be rich and buy whatever we want!”

 

“Neh. That's my Tiffany.” The older one smiled. Finally the light turned green, making the driver look forward again. With one hand on the wheel and the other still linked around her daughter's pinky, the car revved forward into the intersection.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Nnnyyyooooommmm!....

EEERRRRR!!!]

 

MOM!”

TIFFANY!”

 

 

 

[KKRRRSHHH!

 

EEEERRRRR!!!!

KRRRSHH!]

 

 

 

 

 

Headlights...that was the last of what Tiffany saw before the impact...Headlights coming from the side of her mom...Then things faded to black.

 

 

 

[Oooo Waaa

Oooo Waaa

Oooo Waaa]

 

 

 

Tiffany's eyes weakly opened to the sound of the ambulance siren. Her head was lolled to one side, facing away from her mom. “Nnngh...” She groaned as throbbing occurred all over her body, but mainly her head. Did she hit it on something? Probably, but everything seemed to be operating okay. There was just pain...lots of pain. She curled her fingers weakly to embrace the pain. Her pinky then squeezed some flesh, making her roll her head backwards weakly. Then she remembered, she wasn't alone. “Umma...Are you okay?” The young adult croaked.

 

 

 

No response.

 

 

 

“Umma...” Her pinky tightened around the flesh.

 

 

 

 

 

No response...

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany's eyes fluttered to sharpen her image as she was finally able to focus on everything. She turned her head to the side to take in her surroundings. Tiffany's vision locked onto the woman slumped over the steering wheel, her head hung limply and slightly turned towards the younger girl. “U-Umma?...” Young Tiffany weakly reached over and embraced her mom's hand with both of hers. “Umma?...” Tears began to well in Tiffany's eyes as reality started to sink in. She didn't want to face the painful truth of reality. If she could, she'd rather have a horrible nightmare. At least those weren't real. “Umma...” Her voice cracked. “Umma wake up.” She held her mother's hand tightly while her other hand gently shook the woman by the shoulder.

 

The body shook lifelessly.

 

“Mom...Mom wake up!” Tiffany called out. Her frantic state making her revert to the language she first learned to know. As her vision began to blur with the welled up tears, young Tiffany shook the woman's shoulder more desperately. “Mom wake up! Mom!” A tear finally spilled over her cheek. Then with every blink of the eye, tears continued to race down the girl's face. Still, Tiffany kept shaking her mother's shoulder. “Wake up mom! Wake up!” Her hand squeezed the lifeless hand tightly. “Please mom! Wake up!”

 

The young adult's seat belt mysteriously came undone before an arm wrapped around her waist and began to pull. “C'mon. You've got to get out.” A husky voice ordered.

 

Only then did Tiffany rip her eyes away from her mother to spot a fireman who tugged at her waist again. “A-Aniyo!” Her head snapped towards the lifeless woman. “I can't leave without her!” She gripped onto her mother's hand tightly with both hands again. “Mom! Wake up!”

 

The driver's side door suddenly opened and another firefighter reached in, delicately pulling the body out of the mangled car.

 

“Aniyo! Aniyo!” Tiffany shrieked when she felt their hands being pulled apart.

 

Both firemen struggled with the strong grip Tiffany had on her mother. Slowly, her hand began to loosen on her loved one. In a last minute attempt, Tiffany hooked her pinky with her mom's and held on. “I promise mom! I promise!” Her eyes locked on their intertwined pinkies. “I promise!”

 

That was the last memory she had of her mother that night...and it was forever imprinted in the girl's heart.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

“I've kept my promise to you umma, but it's getting so hard to keep on trying.” She mumbled as a few tears streaked down her face. “I want to know if I made you proud...” Tiffany whispered.

 

“Well, waving around a gun isn't going to make her proud, I'll tell you that.” A voice soothingly echoed throughout the room.

 

Tiffany's head shot up, only to see a girl in all white twirling the shop owner's missing gun with her index finger. “W-Who are you?!” She cried out, backing into her dresser.

 

The girl in all white smiled and stepped closer into the middle of the bedroom. She stopped twirling the gun and wielded it, the barrel pointing up at the ceiling. The mystery girl looked majestic in her all white outfit. From her slacks, to her blazer, to her dress shoes and even top hat. “My name is Taeyeon.” She finally answered in that same soothing voice. With her free hand, she tipped her hat gently, revealing more of her light brown hair that stopped at her bust line. “Kim Taeyeon.” This girl looked so elegant. Was she an angel?

 

For some weird reason, Tiffany didn't feel threatened by her, despite the fact that she was holding her gun. Slowly, she became relaxed and shifted slowly to sit on her bed, wiping away her tears in the process. “Taeyeon...” She repeated, now composed.

 

“Neh.” The intruder beamed. “Nice to meet you Tiffany Hwang.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

N/A: So what do you think everyone? I'm pretty messed up aren't I? Well I hope you liked this chapter! Originally it was supposed to be just as long as the first one, but I decided to cut it in two at the last minute because of the whole mood change. It just didn't seem to go well unless I cut it in half! So anyways, let me know what you think of this chapter!