Unprofessional

The Guardian's Wish

 

[Chapter 5]

Unproffestional

 

 

 

“I want to talk about...everything.” The Troubled One finally answered.

 

Taeyeon smirked. “We can go over many things, but going over everything would just take forever. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that. Now would you?” Her head turned to the clock mounted on the wall. “Not to mention that it's already late. Wouldn't you like to wash up? Get changed into something more comfortable?”

 

Glancing down at her work outfit of rather tight jeans and a pink blouse, Tiffany sighed in defeat and locked eyes with her Guardian. “If I go do that, do you promise not to leave me?”

 

Tilting her head to the side in thought, Taeyeon pouted slightly and nodded. “Neh. I promise.”

 

“Pinky promise?” Tiffany stuck her hand out to the girl in all white. This little subconscious action shocked even Tiffany. She never did pinky promises anymore. Especially not after that night. So why now? Her lips pursed slightly as she stared at her extended finger. In a sense, Tiffany didn't want her Guardian to do it. She wanted to save her last pinky promise with her mother, not replace it with some being that she met just yesterday.

 

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow when the pinky was offered, but she shook her head. “I'd rather not. I don't like...physical contact.” Her onyx orbs glanced away as thoughts began to seep into her head. Trying her best to concentrate on what was in front of her, Taeyeon became oblivious to her wandering thoughts and looked back at Tiffany. “But I'll be here. Now go wash up. I'll be waiting.” The Guardian soon pocketed her hands and strolled over to the bedroom door.

 

“Where are you going?” The shop owner reached a hesitant hand towards the latter. Am I being too desperate for her company? Her lips pursed tightly as she sat there with eyes glued on Taeyeon.

 

The white clothed figured glanced over at her Troubled One. “I was going to go wait in the living room.” She paused. “Unless you want me to see your body?” Taeyeon answered with a grin and raised eyebrow at the end. Her eyes scanned the other girl up and down once before resting her eyes on Tiffany's now blushing cheeks.

 

Realizing that her face had probably turned as red as a tomato, Tiffany hung her head embarrassingly. “Arasso. I-I'll get you when I'm done.” Her lips pursed as she tried to contain herself from exploding. She picked up the faint clicking of the door and it wasn't until it clicked shut did the shop owner let out a long sigh. God. What was I thinking? She slowly stood up and strolled to her dresser to pick out some comfy pink pajamas, draping them over her bed. On the way out of the room, the Troubled One picked up her towel and locked herself in the bathroom, but not before sneaking a glance at Taeyeon who was raiding her refrigerator for...

 

“Ice cream...Ice cream...Ice cream...” The Guardian mumbled continuously, inspecting each and every corner of the freezer for the delicious treat.

 

Tiffany rested her back against the bathroom door. Ice cream? She goes out of my bedroom and the first thing she looks at is the food in my freezer for ice cream? The Troubled One sighed and shook her head. Aigoo. She's acting like a kid. Tiffany the shower and stripped while she let the water turn to the temperature of her liking. I wonder how old she is... Finally stepping in, the shop owner heaved out a sigh. The warm water soothing her stressed body. Or how old she was...Maybe that's something I could ask her about. Her hands surged in between her long hair as she continued to think. The rest of her shower consisting of what to ask Taeyeon when she was done.

 

 

While the Troubled One was showering, Taeyeon sighed when she found no indication of the sweet treat. She shut the freezer door and walked into the living room area, scanning the place. It looked like any other apartment room. Couches, a television, a laptop resting on top of an empty desk, the usual things a young adult would have in a place of her own. In one corner she found a photo album next to a picture frame. Taking a closer look, Taeyeon nodded when she saw a picture of a younger Tiffany and her mom smiling happily at the camera. Yeah...that's her alright...

 

 

 

[3 Years Ago]

 

A hand stuck out towards the driver side of the car wreck. “Take my hand ma'am. I'll take you to a safe place.” Taeyeon's voice rang soothingly in the older woman's ears. Looking up at the white clothed figure, the disoriented woman took the offered hand and stepped out of the car wreckage. Taeyeon lead the woman away from the accident and both watched the emergency people aid everyone involved. Their car had been struck twice. Once at the driver's side by a drunk driver and the second time in the back from the car in the next lane who couldn't stop in time.

 

“Why is my daughter just sitting there?” The woman questioned. She eventually peeled her eyes off of the 18 year old in the car and looked over at the girl in all white with hopeful eyes. “Can't she see that I'm outside? That I'm here waiting for her to come out of the car?” Only then did Tiffany's cries catch her attention.

 

“Mom wake up! Mom!” The woman's head snapped in the direction of the car. The duo watched on as the young girl shook her mother's shoulder rigorously. As the tears began to stream from the young girl's eyes, Taeyeon began to realize how close the mother and daughter were to each other.

 

Shocked to see her body still in the car did Tiffany's mother finally understand. Her body was still in the mangled car wreck, but her soul was already gone from the accident. She felt her knees turn weak. The display of a crying Tiffany desperately trying to get her mother back was just heart breaking. “I-I've got to go back! I can't just leave my daughter here!”

 

As the ahjumma tried with all her might to run back towards the wreckage, glowing white figures blocked her way. Some were dressed in tuxedos like Taeyeon, others in dresses, each looking as if they came from different time eras. Tiffany's mother tried hard to push the white figures away, but they held her back with outstretched hands. The crying of her daughter's voice sent over a wave of sadness as tears now spilled from the older woman's eyes. “I'm right here Tiffany! Fany-ah! I'm right here!” Her hands swatted, shoved, and distanced the angelic hands trying to stop her from returning to her lifeless body in the driver's side, but more white figures joined to keep her at bay. “Fany-ah! I'm right here!” Her outstretched hand was her last attempt...and she failed to rejoin with her body.

 

“I promise mom! I promise!” Tiffany cried out just before their pinkies had separated. Finally pulled out of the car, the 18 year old's hysteric calling for her mother had ended. She turned quiet and didn't dare to look over at her mother's body that was being put in an ambulance.

 

With her body now long gone towards the hospital, Tiffany's mother stopped fighting and stood there, cheeks tainted with the streaks of tears. Her head hung as she stood there letting reality finally sink in. A gentle hand rested on the woman's shoulder making her look up at the latter. “Why did you take me from her?” She mumbled.

 

“Because it was too late.” Taeyeon answered in that same soothing voice, though sadness intertwined with it. “If you still had a chance these angels would not have tried so hard to keep you away.” Her arm waved out displaying the many glowing white figures.

 

Tiffany's mother looked at each and every angel that was there to hold her back. Something she noticed different from the other angels and the Guardian was...Taeyeon had no wings. The other beings had graceful white wings, not to mention the lightly tinted yellow halo above their heads. Taeyeon on the other hand, had none of that. She had no white wings, she had no halo, all she had was white. Did her white top hat serve as a replacement for her missing halo? The ahjumma's eyes locked onto the lone Guardian. “Why are you different from the others?”

 

Glancing over, the edge of Taeyeon's lips curved up slightly. “Because I am not an Angel, ma'am. I'm a Guardian. I walk the Earth to help those who have gone through a life inflicting tragedy.” Tiffany's mother nodded as she understood the general idea of their differences. Taeyeon's expression then turned serious. “You were taken from the Earth sooner than expected, but you were not taken intentionally. Therefore, you cannot become a Guardian yourself.”

 

Painful lips pursed together tightly. “So I can't watch over my daughter?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head sadly. “No, ma'am.” She could sense the sadness that was overwhelming the mother's fragile heart. The thought of the damaged organ breaking in two and sinking filled the Guardian's head.

 

There was lingering silence between them.

 

Tiffany's mother gulped hard trying to compose herself from breaking down in front of the many sacred beings before her. “How can I see her again?” Her voice was hopeful. There had to be some sort of way to see her daughter again, right?

 

Taeyeon simply gestured to the Angels. “When she is like one of them.”

 

Pain struck the mother's heart. She didn't want to wait that long to be reunited with her daughter, nor did she even want to imagine her daughter dead! Hurtful eyes locked onto Taeyeon, but she knew there was nothing she could do about it. This was how it was going to be. “Arasso...” The duo shared a look, a very saddened look. “Since you're a guardian, can you please look over her for me?”

 

“When the time comes ma'am. I promise I will.” Taeyeon bowed sincerely.

 

The older woman held out her pinky to the Guardian. “Pinky promise?”

 

Politely rejecting the woman's pinky with a wave of her hand, Taeyeon reasoned, “Save your last pinky promise with your daughter. She'll be longing for that feeling again. You should never replace your last memory.” The ahjumma nodded slowly and retrieved her finger. Her eyes immediately locking onto the ground. “It's time for us to go now.” The Guardian cooed.

 

Tiffany's mother took a long look at her emotionless daughter. The pain and sorrow all swarming the older woman's heart. Everything caused another tear to spill over her cheek. She then looked over to the Guardian and nodded. “Neh.”

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

Taeyeon stood up straight as the memory finally ended. Her curious orbs then ventured to every little thing Tiffany had in her apartment. Not much had caught her interest. Hearing that the water was still running, the Guardian decided to take a better look at Tiffany's room. She had only been in there when she needed to be. Even then, she never bothered to smell the roses so to speak. Stepping in, she looked around. There was something she immediately noticed about the bedroom; everything was pink. Pink curtains, pink bed, pink dresser, everything was pink. All the pink was a bit of an eyesore to the Guardian, giving her a bit of a headache. Especially since it wasn't the color she fancied. How does this girl keep her sanity with this color? Strolling over to the bed, Taeyeon picked up the pajama bottoms and raised it up at the waist. Everything's pink. Why couldn't it be something more common...like blue?

 

“Taeyeon!” A shriek echoed in the room causing the latter to drop the pajamas onto the bed. There she finally met the eyes of a freshly cleaned Tiffany. Only a towel wrapped around her bare body served as a censor. The Guardian stared at the girl with hypnotized eyes, glancing up and down at the girl just once...or more. “What were you doing with my pajamas?!” Tiffany cried out, snapping the white clothed girl back to reality.

 

A bottom jaw hung open as she hoped for words to spill out. Nothing. Taeyeon's reasoning was lumping together in deeming her speechless. Again her eyes outlined the towel wrapped girl as she just stood there dumbfounded.

 

Catching the glance at her body, Tiffany hugged the towel around herself tighter and pointed a finger to the door. “Get out! I said I'd call for you when I was done!” When the latter didn't move, Tiffany grabbed a pink hair brush the same shade as her flustered cheeks and threw it at her Guardian.

 

Taeyeon quickly ducked out of the way and vanished to the living room. “Alright! I'm right here! Now go get dressed!” She called out with her hands cupped around . In no time the bedroom door slammed shut.

 

Both parties let out a deep sigh and plopped down onto a springy cushion. Aigoo, this girl.

 

 

Slowly the bedroom door creaked open and from around the corner popped a curious pair or eyes looking for the white clothed girl. To her delight, a lounging Taeyeon was channel surfing to pass the time. Judging by her very emotionless expression, Tiffany could tell that the Guardian was very much bored as she waited. The younger girl eyed the angelic authority just once. Taeyeon's back was propped up against the arm rest with a leg sprawled across the other cushions. Every second that would pass, the girl's thumb would press down on the remote, only to be repeated over and over again. This was the first time the Troubled One ever saw her Guardian unprofessional-like. Tiffany then closed her bedroom door quietly and let out a gentle sigh to calm her nerves. C'mon Tiff, why are you like this? Again a breath slipped between her lips. Just go out there, and talk to her. She nodded to herself. Yeah, that's it.

 

Once again the bedroom door opened, this time wider, as Tiffany revealed herself in her checkered pink pajama attire. Her eyes locked onto the Guardian, who was still channel surfing, but now in an upright position. The younger girl's eyes never peeled off of Taeyeon as she joined the other end of the couch and sat down shyly.

 

“So you're all done?” Taeyeon questioned finally putting down the remote once she changed the channel a last time, not caring about what was being broadcasted. In the end, it was just the cooking channel. Her eyes finally peeled off the electronic box to meet with Tiffany's curious orbs.

 

The latter nodded her head. “Neh. I'm all done.” Her eyes couldn't divert anywhere. They just had to be glued on Taeyeon.

 

The Guardian nodded and then turned in her seat to face Tiffany. Her eyes lingered up and down the younger one's body. Mentally she smiled at the display though her expression remained the same. “Alright then. Let's talk.” She locked her eyes on Tiffany's orbs. “You ask me any question and I'll answer. I think it's best we talk until you fall asleep. After that, no more questions. Deal?”

 

Seeing Taeyeon scan her body made Tiffany shrink in her seat a little. She wasn't too comfortable with herself so seeing a pair of wandering eyes made her even more insecure. However, Taeyeon's soothing voice seemed to have calmed her restless nerves as she began to pay attention to her Guardian's words. With an eager nod Tiffany smiled. “Deal.” Involuntarily she yawned and then shot a quick glare at Taeyeon. “Are you making me sleepy so you don't have to answer my questions?”

 

A soft chuckle escaped Taeyeon's lips. “Tiffany, I'm a Guardian, not the Sandman.” A grin tugged at the edges of her lips. “But I'll be sure to tell him to stop making you sleepy. You know, when such a being exists.”

 

Confused eyebrows furrowed together at the Guardian's words. “So...there's no such thing as a Sandman?” Her head tilted curiously as thoughts about what else was 'real' swarmed her brain.

 

Taeyeon scoffed. “Sandman? Please allow me to shower you with pixie dust that seals your eyelids close for hours.” The girl in white acted as if she were throwing something invisible at the curious being on the other end. She chuckled when she saw nothing but a blank face from Tiffany. Rolling her eyes, Taeyeon cocked her head to one side and smiled. “What? You don't believe me?” The Guardian chuckled, finding her sentence rather ironic.

 

Still, there was no response.

 

With a hefty sigh Taeyeon stood up and smoothed her blazer down. “I thought you wanted to talk. But, I guess not.” The white clothed girl gave a small smile towards the latter. “I'll see you later okay?”

 

Her smile...there was something weird about it. It was irking the shop owner just enough to give Tiffany the courage to speak. “Taeyeon wait.” She reached a hand out. Is she sad? Pushing the thought quickly out of her head, Tiffany diverted her eyes to think straight. She then gazed back at her Guardian who was anticipating words to come out of . “I-If you leave again t-then I'll just take the gun and-”

 

A smirk replaced Taeyeon's old smile as she tilted her head up, silencing the stuttering Tiffany. “Then maybe I should just take your gun again...for good.” A victorious eyebrow raised towards the latter. Her head turned away when she noticed Tiffany's expression change to a pout. How cute. But still, there was silence lingering. Taeyeon then faced her Troubled One. “I thought you wanted to talk? Now that I'm giving you the opportunity to ask me any question you like, you're saying absolutely nothing.”

 

“I do want to talk Taeyeon.” Tiffany hung her head guiltily. “I'm just...really sleepy and tired right now so it's hard for me to think of what to say.” She then locked her curious orbs on Taeyeon. “I swear I had a lot of questions to ask you too. They're all just...slipping my mind.”

 

Wagging a finger at the latter, Taeyeon shook her head with a grin. “See, this is why you should just sleep right now.”

 

Tiffany's fingers slowly curled in at the order. “But I really wanna ask you questions right now Taeyeon!” Her voice rose to prove her point. However, she shrank in her seat when she noticed the challenging eyebrow that her Guardian lifted. With a much quieter tone, “You said I could only ask you questions until I fall asleep. If I go to sleep now, then I can't ask you anymore questions later.” Her eyes wandered away from the angelic authority and laced her fingers together in her lap.

 

Taeyeon sighed and lifted her top hat to run a hand through her hair. “I can see your problem.” She mumbled repositioning the hat back on top of her head. The Guardian folded her arms across her chest and heaved another sigh. “Okay then, I'll make a new deal with you. You can ask me questions whenever you see me, just not after work. That way, you can get your beauty rest and not worry over questions you want to ask.”

 

“Arasso. That's fair.” Tiffany nodded. “But what if I really wanna ask you a question after work?”

 

Scratching her non-itchy chin in thought, the Guardian slowly nodded. “It depends on if I feel like answering.”

 

A sigh escaped Tiffany lips. “Why is everything 'if you feel like it'?” Her arms folded across her chest as she stared down Taeyeon for an answer. She knew that her Guardian had authority and was practically like any other human being, besides the whole magic act, but she really hoped that those words weren't going to be her catchphrase.

 

“Would you wanna do something if you really didn't want to?” Again a challenging eyebrow raised. Tiffany hung her head in defeat and sighed. “Exactly. Besides, I'm human too you know.” I'm just not alive. “Things just happened in my past and I ended up like this.” ran subconsciously. Tiffany rose her head and right away Taeyeon knew she was going to ask something. Just to interrupt, the Guardian pocketed her hands. “But we'll talk about that another time. For now, you go to sleep and I'll see you soon okay?”

 

Judging by the look on Tiffany's face, Taeyeon could tell that the girl didn't want her to go. It was the same look she had given her last night just before she left. “What's wrong?” Taeyeon questioned with a sigh, soon pursing her lips together. As much as she didn't want a question about her past she didn't want to leave Tiffany in this state either.

 

Gulping down the lumped up words in , Tiffany finally locked her saddened orbs with Taeyeon. “Can you please...stay here with me?” Her lips pursed nervously. It's not that she wanted to bombard her Guardian with countless questions or anything. It's just that Tiffany enjoyed the company of the white clothed girl. Every time the girl was with her, she didn't feel as lonely anymore. Maybe it was because there was someone other than her in the apartment, or maybe it was because for once someone came into her life already knowing of the pain she went through. There would be no tear-jerking sob story that she would have to tell so that the other person could understand. Even her best friends at the cafe don't know the whole story because she'd break down crying half way through it. With Taeyeon, she knew it all. That much was enough to help Tiffany save her breath...and her tears.

 

Taeyeon looked directly into Tiffany's eyes for any sign of a lie. After having numerous Troubled Ones, she knew every sign to tell if someone was lying to her face. With Tiffany, there was no indication of a fib. She really did want Taeyeon to stay with her for reasons the Guardian couldn't quite understand. Hesitating a little, the white clothed girl nodded her head. “Neh. I'll stay.” Tilting her head a little, she saw how much Tiffany's face brightened. But the pieces weren't fitting together just yet. The Guardian was mainly stumped as to why she meant so much to the girl after just two encounters. It's not like they had known each other for years on end. Sudden questions about her past quickly filled her head making Taeyeon emphasize one thing. “You already agreed to no questions about me and the mystical stuff after work. So no questions okay?” Seeing Tiffany's head bob up and down happily slapped a smirk on the Guardian's features.

 

 

Time had passed and things were completely the same as when they first started. Both parties sat on opposite ends of the couch as they continued to watch the cooking channel. With it being so late at night, the only things on T.V. were marketing commercials and boring reruns. Not to mention that both were just too lazy to grab the remote and search for anything better. The air between them was quiet, thanks to the little 'no questions' agreement they had made earlier. All that echoed in the apartment room were the instructions on how to make jajangmyun.

 

Fatigue was drowning Tiffany as she gently placed a pillow on the arm rest and curled into a ball against it. As 'interesting' as making the Korean dish was, her eyes just couldn't seem to stay open. The chef on the television was over emphasizing every little action he made just to prepare the dish. Did he really have to pull the noodles that high into the air? Just for a couple strands? She didn't find it necessary. His everything-must-be-yelled-to-understand-me voice wasn't doing much justice to her tired ears as well. I need to change the channel, this is ridiculous. Ready to jump for the remote, Tiffany froze as she quickly remembered her Guardian on the other end of the couch. Though the girl in white didn't say a single word, her presence was enough to put her at ease. Tiffany glanced over her shoulder towards her Guardian who's head was propped up with one hand. “Err...are you really watching this?”

 

 

Shifting her gaze towards her Troubled One, Taeyeon shook her head. “Aniyo. You can channel it.” Her arm gesturing towards the remote on the pillow between them.

 

One thing Tiffany couldn't quite understand was why she suddenly got the chills when she heard Taeyeon's voice. Neither of them had talked for well over an hour until now. So was this a way of her body telling her that she was longing for it? For her Guardian's soothing voice? She wasn't sure. One thing she was definitely sure about though was the man's sudden booming voice needed to end. Snatching the remote, Tiffany quickly channel surfed until she had stopped on a channel playing a rerun of cartoon shows. It'd have to do for now.

 

Placing the remote on the table next to her end of the couch, a soothing, “You watch this show?” rang in her ears.

 

Tiffany wasn't sure of why this was happening, but Taeyeon's voice sent a pleasurable chill down the girl's spine, energizing her just a little. Still, the fatigue from earlier was still overpowering any other emotion she was experiencing. Gazing over at her Guardian, Tiffany smiled sleepily. “It's better than nothing.” Shifting her eyes towards the broadcast, Tiffany rested her head against her pillow again.

 

“True...but I don't get it.” Taeyeon spoke. The Guardian's eyes were glued on the television screen. “There's explosions, random singing, and...and what is that?” She gestured to the show, figuring that the other was watching as well. Little did the older girl know, her voice was a lullaby to Tiffany's ears. Its soothing tone calming the distressed Troubled One that would have been tossing and turning in bed right about now. Oh how she could listen to the girl's voice all day. Even if she was ranting about an old cartoon.

 

 

After a whole hour of nothing but the ridiculous show and commercials of how to lose weight, Taeyeon let out a sigh of relief the minute the ending credits zoomed across the screen. “Tiffany, I suggest you go to bed now before you sleep on the couch.” The Guardian's eyes flickered over at the clock mounted on the wall just above the television set. “It's getting rather late.” Her head turned to the girl who didn't react to her voice. The girl in all pink was as still as a statue, aside from her rhythmic breathing. “Tiffany?” Reaching out to the latter, Taeyeon tilted her head in curiosity. Suddenly, she froze as the girl fidgeted slightly in her seat. Still, she said nothing towards the angelic authority. “Fany-ah? It's time to go to bed.” The older one cooed out.

 

Stirring slightly, Tiffany yawned and sat up to rub her eyes lightly. “Neh umma.” she whispered letting her head loll forward. Fatigue was controlling her body once again as she suddenly began to lie down on the couch, her head aiming for Taeyeon's lap.

 

The Guardian silently gasped once she noticed where the other's head was going to crash. In a last ditch effort, Taeyeon snatched the pillow between them and quickly slammed it over her legs before Tiffany's head came into contact with the portable cushion. The Guardian stared down at Tiffany with wide eyes. She could feel her heart begin to race. Though she could only see half of her face from her position, Taeyeon was able to see the slight smile on the younger girl's features. What am I gonna do with you? The Guardian sighed as she inspected the girl's position. She was curled in a ball with her head on Taeyeon. Grabbing the edges of the pillow, Taeyeon slowly lifted the other girl's head before making enough space to slither to her feet, gently placing Tiffany's head back down on the couch.

 

Now smoothing down her slacks and blazer, Taeyeon glanced back at the sleeping beauty and pocketed her hands. Taeyeon slowly began to fade when she realized Tiffany's slight shiver. Figuring that it's the least she could do, the Guardian entered the shop owner's bedroom and emerged with one of the many pink blankets from atop of the bed, gently draping it over Tiffany's shaking body. The sleeper involuntarily smiled at the newly acquired warmth.

 

Taeyeon stepped back to distance herself from the peaceful sleeper. Her eyes never peeling off the younger girl as she began to fade once more. She outlined the kid-like figure on the couch and smirked when her orbs focused on the small smile still on the latter's face. Taeyeon's lips suddenly flipped into a frown. I can't get too close to you Fany-ah. Even if you are that... She sighed silently while her body continued to disappear. Her eyes could never peel away from Tiffany. There's only one thing that will make things better right now...

 

 

 

 

...Ice cream...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

N/A: Hey everyone! Phew! I finally got this chapter up! I'm sorry it took so long to upload! After Chapter 4 was when I started chapter hopping and I didn't really have anything to tie the chapters together. Plus I was really displeased with my writing for this chapter at first. It was mainly just "She said...then she did...then she did...then..." etc. It was really plain, really unemotional, and just flat out boring. So I took a day off working just to get my mind back in order and then I was able to write with passion again [hopefully]. Anyways, Here's your new chapter! I don't know how long it'll take for me to upload the next chapter [with it being holiday season] so I'll be busy and what not. Aish. I just want school to end so I can sleep in and just type. Anyways, let me know what you think with a comment! I hope you enjoy!

 

[PS: Happy Turkey Day for anyone in the USA!]