The Ball

You're Weird

I looked at myself in the mirror, wondering what the hell I was doing. It was ten minutes until Kyuhyun would come and pick me up to the ball, and I was already done. But I felt really... weird. None of that excitement I though I would feel had come, instead I felt like I was going to be sick. Was I a horrible person? Only being with a nice guy because I didn't want to go alone? I already knew the answer, but it was hard to accept the truth. Right then and there, I made a promise to myself. I was going to make Kyuhyun happy, but I was going to make him understand that I wasn't the girl for him. That was the easiest way. I didn't have the heart to just break up with him right after the ball, so it would be better for him to break up with me. 

The whole walk to the school, Kyuhyun talked cheerfully, and I managed to sound happy enough, even though it was hard. When we arrived, I forgot about the mess I'd made, and let myself be amazed by how pretty it was. They had decorated the gym, so two huge disco balls were hanging from the ceiling, and making the whole room light up in a dim light. They had tables against the walls, where there were some drinks of some sort. The music was loud enough to drown the sound of steps against the floor, but low enough so you could talk normally with your date. 

"Do you want to dance?" Kyuhyun asked me, snapping me out of my amazement.

"Oh, sure", I answered.

He took my hand and led me out on the dance floor, so we were in the middle of the room. I let him lead completely, and tried to look everywhere but at his face.

"You look beautiful", he said after a while.

I blushed and looked down at my feet, getting even more giult.

"Thank you", I mumbled. 

"No really", he insisted.

I smiled, knowing he could see it, but I couldn't get myself to look him in the eye. It was way too hard

We danced for atleast thirty more minutes, until my feet was hurting so bad I thought I was going to die. Kyuhyun seemed to notice it, since he suggested that I could sit down for a moment while he went to het somehting to drink. I sat down heavily on one of the chairs that was placed out, and felt some weight leave my feet. I sighed in relief and leaned back heavily against the chair. But the peace didn't last for too long.

"Sunhye!" I heard Minsee's voice call over the music, and I couldn't stop a groan to escape my lips.

I turned my head to see her coming running towards me, dragging a guy behind her. I smiled a tiny tiny smile, and she came shooting down on the cair next to mine, leaving the guy awkwardly standing.

"This is Sungmin", she said, gesturing towards the guy.

"Hi", I greeted him.

"Hi", he answered.

Silence. It was obvious that Sungmin only was Minsee's guy for the evening, and I think that he was aware of that. 

"Where's Kyuhyun?" Minsee asked, breaking the silence between us.

"He's getting something to drink", I answered, looking at her.

"Oh. Sungmin, honey, could you get something for me too?" she asked, turning to him and waving her eyelashes.

He gulped and nodded, before he disappeared between the people in the gym. I felt sorry for the guy. It couldn't be fun to be so helpless infront of a girl.

"Isn't he cute?" Minsee cooed, looking after him.

"Mm", I answered.

She turned to me, looking annoyed.

"Why are you so boring? It's a ball, not a funeral", she said.

I shrugged, but before I got a chance to answer, something else caught my attention. It was Heechul, entering with a girl on his arm. She was giggling away, but he looked serious. I hadn't really seen him since I walked into him at school, and something inside me kind of exploded.

"I'm just tired", I answered Minsee, keeping my eyes on him.

Heechul and his date walked out of my sight, so I couldn't see him anymore, and I looked down at my hands, who were tightly clenched together in my lap. At the same time, Kyuhyun came back with two cups with something fluid. He sat down on the chair on my other side, hadning one of them over to me, and I took it eagerly from him and drank all of it on only three gulps.

"Someone's thirsty", Kyuhyun chuckled.

"Yeah, I'll go and take some more", I said, getting up from my chair.

To be honest, I only needed an excuse to get some air. I walked up to the closest table, and poured up some more of whatever it was. I took one sip, before I breathed heavily. 

"Are you okay?" I heard a familiar voice behind me.

I turned around and faced Kyuhyun, who had a worried expression on his face. I tried to smile reassuring to him, but it came out as a grimace.

"Yeah, I'm just tired", I said.

"Do you-" he began, but got interrupted.

"Are you tired of your boyfriend, Sunhye? Such a shame", Heechul said, walking up next to Kyuhyun.

"What the hell do you want?" I snarled, not in the mood for his bull. 

"Oh, no need for such rude language. I'm just asking an innocent question", he said, looking at me.

Even if his mouth was in a line, I could see the smirk in his eyes. He was enjoying it. 

"Heechul, maybe you should leave", Kyuhyun said calmly, making some distance between them by moving away.

That made Heechul immediatly look at Kyuhyun, looking more angry than mocking.

"And maybe you should realize that she's not really into you", he snapped at him.

"Heechul!" I snapped back at him.

"But it's true though, isn't it?" he asked me, almost looking frantic.

"Would you just leave me alone?" I asked him, getting desperate.

"Yes. You should go", Kyuhyun said coldly.

Heechul snorted and smirked at him. 

"You're even more ignorant than I thought", he said, sounding almost pitiful. "I know this girl here better than you ever will, and believe me, she doesn't like you in that way. She's probably just doing this to be nice."

My eyes started to tear up, and to save some of my dignity, I started to run. I ran out of the gym, leaving the horrible scene behind me. I didn't stop running before I was far enough from the school for no one to see me. I slowed down, and let the tears stream like they wanted. Why was he so mean? But then I remembered. He wasn't mean. He was telling the truth, something that I couldn't do. That only made me feel even more miserable.