Chapter Eight

Playing With Fire

 

Recap

Oh, the difficulties of having a total of three bathrooms to share amongst almost a hundred people. Hailey thought to herself and walked back to her room.

Sungyeol was resting peacefully on his mattress and Hailey couldn’t help but feel tired as well. She crawled into bed and tried to get some rest before a long and troublesome night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was almost time. Sungyeol took a glance over his shoulder and let out a sigh.

“She’s still sleeping.” He said to himself and walked over towards the bed.

Hailey was breathing slowly and had her lips parted. She looked peaceful and Sungyeol didn’t want to disturb her until it was time to leave, which was pretty much now.

“Hey Hailey. We gotta go,” He said and gave her arm a gentle nudge.

Hailey groaned and turned to her side, still asleep. Sungyeol crouched down to examine her face. A lock of hair was about to enter and he carefully moved his hand to gently brush it aside.

“I don’t even know why I decided to bring you along.” He said and stayed there simply staring. The peaceful atmosphere was interrupted by two loud knocks on the door.

Sungyeol immediately stood up and cleared his throat. “Come in.”

The door creaked open and standing outside was Min.

“Are you ready?”

Sungyeol swung his arm behind him to reveal the candidate who was not even awake yet. Min laughed.

She walked over to Hailey and bent over.

“You know, she seems to be just your type.” Min said with a grin.

“What are you talking about?” Sungyeol replied with a straight face but he knew exactly the meaning behind her words.

“Get ready in five.” She said and walked back out of the room.

“Oh, and one more thing,” Min said and turned around holding up a finger, “I don’t really trust that girl. Call it a woman’s intuition if you want but there’s just something about her that seems… not right. I would be careful if I were you.”

Sungyeol’s face remained straight. Not a single hint of surprise or any emotion showed. Min shrugged her shoulders and left.

Sungyeol faced Hailey again this time giving her a harder nudge.

“Wake up, it’s time.”

“Five more minutes…” Hailey mumbled.

“We’re leaving now.” Sungyeol said and Hailey groaned again. She restlessly sat up and half-heartedly opened her eyes.

“Good. Now get ready. We’re about to go.”

Hailey nodded and walked out the room to wash her face. Sungyeol sat back on the bed and replayed what Min had said. Should he be more careful of her just in case?

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sungyeol pointed up two fingers and nudged them forward to indicate it was safe to move. The four of them crept behind the building and on Sungyeol’s signal, would split and complete their delegated roles.

“Clear.” Sungyeol whispered and the two pairs dispersed into opposite directions.

Hailey followed behind Sungyeol closely and secretly gave the area a glance to see if she could spot her crew members lurking nearby. Not a sign of them.

“Ok, so we’re going to look for paths or alleyways that can lead us out of this place, and fast.” Sungyeol whispered as he continued to poke his head around corners.

Hailey nodded and began her own little hunt for routes. She stopped when she spotted something sparkling under the moonlight. She crept closer and bent over to get a clearer view. She let out a silent breath, it was only a piece of foil. Hailey had thought it was a secret signal from her gang but it wasn’t.

Sungyeol had located an extremely tight alleyway behind a mountain of cardboard boxes. With only the dim streetlights to guide him, he slowly explored the narrow path. He shook his head when only half his body had made it through.

“Nuh. This won’t do, it’s too confined.”

He grunted as he tried to get himself out.

He tried forcing his way out but a large portion of his shirt must’ve clamped onto something as he found himself unable to budge.

Hailey walked over to Sungyeol and stared at the image before her. Never had she thought he would get himself trapped between two walls.

“A little help would be nice.” He said and Hailey immediately went over to grab his arm.

“Ok, you try to force your way out and I’ll pull.”

Using both hands to grasp onto Sungyeol’s arm, Hailey pulled with all her strength. Sungyeol also tried his best to free himself from whatever that had hooked onto his shirt.

“Ok, just a little more.” Hailey said as she pulled harder.

There was little progress. Hailey finally let go and needed to take a breath. Grabbing onto his arm again after her little rest she started to drag Sungyeol out, this time the sound of ripping fabric filled their ears.

As soon as the ripping stopped, Sungyeol had tumbled out with the bottom corner of his shirt missing, revealing skin from his ribs to his hip bone.

He looked down at his damaged clothing. “Great.”

Hailey couldn’t hold in her laughter. “I can’t believe you actually thought you would be able to fit through there.”

Sungyeol didn’t look amused. Hailey’s laughter must’ve sparked something as Sungyeol heard footsteps coming their way.

“Quickly!” He whispered and pulled Hailey and himself behind the stack of cardboard boxes he had moved earlier. “Stay still.” Sungyeol ordered and wrapped his arm over Hailey’s shoulder to keep her close and out of sight.

Through a gap between the boxes Hailey could see the lower part of the figure’s body cautiously approaching the area. She couldn’t see their face so she had absolutely no idea who it was. It might be Jongup or Minho, or anyone from her gang. The figure’s legs moved closer until they were right in front of them.

He was either blind or Sungyeol had covered them up really well. The mysterious person didn’t seem to be able to see them at all. Or so that was what they thought. With a fast swing of his arms, he knocked the empty boxes over and revealed the intruders hiding behind.

Sungyeol stood up immediately and pinned the figure to the floor while covering his mouth to suppress any noise from escaping. The figure was trying to say something but was muffled under Sungyeol’s palm. Sungyeol stared closely at the person’s face and in a moment of realisation, untightened his grip and lifted his hand. It was Sunggyu.

“What the hell man. I thought you were going to kill me.” Sunggyu said as both of them got up.

“Sorry, I thought–”

“That I was one of them? Pheonix? Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about you two.”

“Where’s L?” Sungyeol asked as he dusted his shirt down.

“He’s still searching for shortcuts.” Sunggyu's eyes landed on the Sungyeol's exposed flesh, "What happened to you?"

"Long story," Sungyeol replied and changed the topic. “Let’s meet up in an hour. Try to finish everything before then.”

Sunggyu nodded and continued with his role. As he turned the corner to where he had last seen L, his eyes widened. L was lying on the floor, unconscious.

He quickly bent down and gently tapped his cheeks. “Hey, L. Wake up. What happened man?”

As he tried to get L to come to his sense, he heard the click of a gun and a something cold on the back of his head. Sunggyu slowly raised his arms above him.

“Where’s Hailey?” A male voice said.

Sunggyu couldn’t hold in his sly smirk. In a flash he rotated and smacked the gun out of the persecutor’s hands. The guy stumbled, delaying his reflexes. Sunggyu then jumped and from the momentum he built up on his attack, aimed his kick directly at the side of the guy’s head. The guy collapsed to the floor and Sunggyu scoffed. He straightened his clothes and gave the victim a gentle kick to confirm that he was unconscious.

“How troublesome,” Sunggyu said and flipped out his phone to dial Sungyeol’s number, reporting everything that had just happened in the last few minutes.

Sungyeol and Hailey reached the scene and saw Sunggyu starting to lift L onto his back. Hailey’s eyes scanned the area, from the unconscious L to the other man lying on the floor. Her pupils dilated from shocked. She knew the man lying motionless on the ground. His luminescent blonde hair under the moonlight was all too familiar. It was Daehyun, without a doubt.

Sungyeol walked over to Sunggyu to help him out.

“What should we do about this guy?” Sunggyu said as he pointed behind him.

“Let’s just leave him,”

Sunggyu frowned and leaned in closer so he could whisper in Sungyeol’s ears. “He was looking for Hailey.”

Hailey couldn’t hear what they were murmuring about but she saw Sungyeol’s eyebrows crease. After that he picked up Daehyun and carried him on his back.

“What are we doing with him?” Hailey slowly asked and directed her gaze to Daehyun.

“I’ve got some questions for him so we’re taking him back.”

Hailey gave her head a nod and felt her hands tremble slightly.

“You seem nervous?” Sungyeol questioned with suspicion.

“Oh no. It’s just the fright from earlier that’s all.” Hailey denied and secretly pinched herself to get her act back together. This isn’t going to be good…


Author's notes

Thank you for reading and being patient with me. <3

I'll try to do more frequent updates from now so please look forward to the upcoming chapters ^^