Chapter Four

Playing With Fire

 

Recap

Minho walked over to Hailey and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Well if you want to help so strongly, I guess we could allow it.”

Jongup turned to Minho with an expression of discontent but his face softened when he saw Hailey’s eyes filled with determination. He let out a sigh as he couldn’t do anything to change Hailey’s mind.

“Let’s get you prepared then.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sweat travelled down the side of Hailey’s face, her breathing was now unsteady as she tried to inhale as much air as her lungs could contain. All her muscles were stiff and burning from the intense training she had agreed to.

“Come on! Do you think you would be able to defend yourself like this?” Her coach shouted as she swiftly dodged his extended arm.

“Remember, always strike when there’s an opening.”

An arm aimed at her head and she instinctively ducked. She swung her leg behind her instructor and hooked it onto his ankle. In a quick movement, she gave her leg a strong tug and her instructor collapsed backwards. They both landed on the glossed timber floor with Hailey kneeling over her victim.

“So Jongup, how did I do?” She asked.

Her hair fell forward and landed lightly on Jongup’s face, prickling his skin. Hailey suddenly blushed as she realised this was not the best position for a conversation. She immediately removed herself from him and stood up. She extended her arm and Jongup grabbed it to support himself.

“I think you’ve got the basics. You should be able to at least protect yourself if you get attacked.”

Hailey nodded and wiped her sweat with the back of her hand.

“Use this, you idiot.” Jongup said as he retrieved a white towel from the table and chucked it to Hailey. It landed on top of her head and Jongup gave an apologetic look.

“You should go get some sleep. You’ve got a busy day tomorrow.” Jongup suggested and escorted Hailey out of the room.

A week has passed since it was decided that Hailey would go undercover in order to protect the gang. During the week, Hailey trained under Jongup and gained some basic fighting skills. It was difficult and if Minho was put under such conditions, there was a chance that even he might give up half way. Hailey’s will power was stronger than that though, she persisted in the training and survived the week. As a result, she was now ready for the most daring situation she’s ever signed up for.

Morning arrived and Hailey was all set. She had especially bought two phones for this mission, one for normal use and the other to use whenever she needed to contact Jongup or anyone from Pheonix.

“Are you scared?” Minho asked as he patted her shoulder.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t,” Hailey replied and took one last look at her family. “Don’t worry about me ok? I’m going to be perfectly fine. I’ll keep to the plan and if all fails, I know who to call.”

She forced a half smile but everyone decided it was a better idea to form a group hug. She was encircled with the most loving family she ever had and that encouraged her to protect them even more. The group separated a little and she walked over to Jongup who wasn’t even giving her eye contact.

“Wish me luck.” Hailey said with a smile but he was still looking on the ground.

Hailey sighed and turned around. I guess this is it. She thought and began to walk. An arm suddenly wrapped across her shoulders and pulled her back. Jongup rested his chin on her and Hailey could feel her heart starting to race.

“Be careful out there,” he whispered into her ear.

He released her after saying that and Hailey couldn’t help but blush a dangerous shade of red. That was the first time Jongup had behaved like that.

“Don’t you dare make me come rescue you,” Jongup teased and patted her head like he would to a younger sibling.

“I’m stronger than you think.” Hailey replied as she tried to hide her crimson cheeks.

“You’re like a little sis to me. If you get hurt, I’d never be able to forgive myself.” Jongup said and wrapped his arms around Hailey one last time.

Little sis? He only thought of me as a little sister? Hailey’s heart sank at Jongup’s words. She was in shock, the boy she had been infatuated with for all these years only thought of her as nothing more than a sibling.

Hailey shook her head to rid the thoughts of disappointment. She remembered all the times she shared with Jongup and suddenly came to a realisation. She had looked too deeply into his brotherly affection and mistook her own emotions for love. Maybe her own feelings were the same love Jongup felt for her, love, for a family.

Keeping that thought in mind to relieve her aching heart, she bid goodbye to her comfort zone and prepared herself to step onto foreign territory. Fire’s territory.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

A gust of wind blew against Hailey’s face. She had arrived at Fire’s base and was trying to remember her act of fraud. As she took a step closer to the building, she could feel something awful at the pit of her stomach. She let out a nervous breath and raised her hand to the door. It was time to put her acting skills to the test.

She gave the door three hard knocks and waited for someone to respond. No one did.

Hailey knocked again, this time louder. The door remained closed and she placed her ear on the surface to hear if anyone was inside.

She could hear mumbling and the sharp sound of a gun reloading. She gasped and in a reflex, she jerked her ear away. Someone was coming.

Hailey quickly fell to the floor, pretending to be in pain.

“Help,” she cried in a strained voice.

The door swung open and a tall figure hid behind a long pistol that pointed to her head. Her eyes widened but she knew this was no time for shock. She had to act quickly.

“Please help me.” She said again this time emphasising the pain in her voice.

The male lowered his weapon and stared at the girl kneeling in front of him.

“This is no place for help. Go somewhere else.” He flicked his dark hair to the side and exposed the most mesmerising eyes underneath.

Hailey stared at him without blinking once. His facial features started to look familiar and she soon realised it was the male Jongup fought, Sungyeol.

He was about the close the door when Hailey cried out, “Wait!”

He stopped his actions.

“I recognise you! You’re someone the police are after!”

Sungyeol’s eyes widened and quickly bent down to cup his hand over . He scanned the area to see if anyone was listening and lucky no one was in sight.

Sungyeol stared at Hailey and lowered his voice, “How do you know about this?”

“This isn’t the best place to talk.” Hailey replied and Sungyeol tensed his jaw. He had no choice but to let her in.

So far everything was going according to Hailey’s plan. She was terrified that she almost blew her chance when Sungyeol was about to shut the door on her.

She pretended to limp and tagged behind Sungyeol. Hailey was certain that she heard more people in here before but the area was empty. Either they were all conveniently out or they were hiding, ready to jump out and attack. Hailey thought the second option was more logical.

Sungyeol had led her to a space similar to a conference room. There was a round table made of mahogany with approximately twelve chairs surrounding it. Sungyeol noticed Hailey’s slight limp and eyed her suspiciously.

“What happened?” He asked and Hailey thought she could catch a tiniest sense of worry in his voice.

“I was running away from a bunch of guys and I think I sprained my ankle or something.”

Sungyeol nodded slowly and gestured his hands to the empty chairs. “Take a seat.”

Hailey did as she was told and sat on the chair nearest to her. Sungyeol took the seat next to her and cleared his throat.

“What do you know?” He asked and purposely placed his gun on the table.

“All I know is that the police are looking for your gang. They claim that they have heard rumours of your motives.”

Sungyeal leaded in closer. “Do you know our motives?”

Hailey gulped, “Like the police I’ve only heard rumours.”

He leaded back into his chair and his eyes stared intently at Hailey as she spoke. Hailey was beginning to feel uncomfortable with his gaze because it caused her mind to wonder off and lose the ability to think straight. She knew that if he stared at her like this, she was going to mess up the plan and in an instant, she would be killed. Sungyeol suddenly stopped staring at her and casually played around with the gun.

“So tell me what you’ve heard?”

“All I know is that, you’re targeting a gang.”

Sungyeol nodded slowly and was now focusing his attention to the gun in his hand. He suddenly looked up, his eyes were sharp and Hailey could almost predict what was going to happen next.

“You’re not really hurt are you?”

Hailey flinched as she started to become scared. Did he figure out that I’m a fraud? She thought and opened to speak when she was interrupted by the click of a gun.

Sungyeol quickly stood up and placed his gun on Hailey’s forehead.

“You’re one of Layla’s aren’t you?”

 


Author's Note

To my lovely readers, thank you for reading! <3

Please comment and subscribe ^^