Chapter Fourteen

Playing With Fire

 

Recap

To: Jongup

From: Hailey

Jongup… when I find out the date of the attack, I’m going to stop immediately. I’m going to stop this and come back before I regret everything, and before I emotionally break down.

I don’t think I can do this much longer…

~*~*~*~*~*~*

For the next few days, Hailey tried to avoid having any unnecessary contact with Sungyeol. It wasn’t because of what happened a few nights back but because Hailey knew that if she got too close, it would be harder to leave, harder to break away from this place and harder to watch Sungyeol’s face fall in disappointment.

However, even with all these thoughts and warnings screaming in her head, she would sometimes notice herself looking in his direction every time he was nearby. Just looking from a distance seemed to give her some kind of satisfaction to compensate for not talking to him. Hailey didn’t entirely ignore him. She just never initiated any conversations. He was the one who started them which she responded with short answers.

Sungyeol didn’t seem to like the change of attitude. He thought that she was just shocked with his actions and wanted to give her some space. But after a few days of constant simple replies, he began to feel a hint of heartache. Their relationship seemed to have turned cold and it was missing the usual warmth that he felt whenever he talked to her.

Hailey wasn’t the only one that he found becoming distant, he was doing the same thing to Min. He found it awkward to be alone with her and would always drag Sunggyu along with him. Whenever Min wanted to discuss plans with him alone, he insisted Sunggyu stayed. His excuse was merely to have someone else contributing with the discussion of ideas. When Min didn’t object, the burden he felt was immediately lifted.

“What is with you these days?” Sunggyu asked when they left Min’s office.

“What do you mean?” Sungyeol replied.

“Just… everything. The long face, being all awkward when Min’s around – holy crap, don’t tell me something happened between you two?” He suggested and gave Sungyeol a playful nudge.

This action was earned with a smack to the back of Sunggyu’s head. “Nothing happened. And don’t you go starting any rumours.” Sungyeol warned as he pointed his finger towards his gang mate.

A sly smile plastered across Sunggyu’s face, “Sure. The secret relationship between you and Min is safe with me–”

Sungyeol’s hand cupped over Sunggyu’s mouth and he shot him a glare. Standing in front of them was Hailey. She seemed to have overheard the conversation and immediately turned around to walk away from the scene.

“God, can’t you keep your mouth shut,” Sungyeol said and threatened to hit Sunggyu.

Sunggyu shrank back, “I didn’t know she was there… wait, something’s odd. By any chance is it you and Hailey that’s…?” Sunggyu pointed back and forth from him to Hailey.

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “There’s nothing going on between anybody!”

With his last statement he walked ahead, leaving Sunggyu behind with all sorts of assumptions running through his head. 

Hailey crept back into her room and sighed. “That was close, if I opened Jongup’s text then, I would’ve been screwed.”

She unlocked her phone and looked at the text Jongup sent her:

To: Hailey

From: Jongup

If you ever want to stop... give me a call and the whole gang will come running to back you up. Even if it means a bloody battle, we will bring you back!

Hailey smiled. Jongup always seemed to have the ability to lighten her mood whenever she was feeling down.

“Alright. Remember what you’re here for! Stay focused!” Hailey said and pumped her fist in the air with every statement.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hailey’s patience seemed to be paying off. Min had called a group gathering in the hall the next day, and Hailey was certain that this was going to be the announcement of the next step to their plans. Her suspicions were soon confimed.

Min stood on a mini stage with proud. “My people, the time is near,” she announced. “We are so close to achieving our goal.”

Cheers suddenly echoed throughout the hall.

“This Saturday evening will be the time for us. For Fire to prove to our past traitors that their actions of betrayal will not stay untouched. They will face what they deserve!”

The crowd applauded with shouts and Hailey half-heartedly joined them. After the proper protocol, Min dismissed everyone and advised them to start sharpening their skills in combat.

This Saturday evening. Hailey thought. That’s three days from today.

“We need to talk.” Sungyeol suddenly walked over and pulled Hailey away from the rest of the members.

“What is it?” Hailey’s voice was flat and uncaring.

Sungyeol placed his hands on her shoulder, “I don’t want you to go this Saturday.”

“Why?” she asked quizzically.

“It’s too dangerous. You could get killed.” Sungyeol said, his gaze never leaving Hailey’s eyes.

Hailey smirked. She was trying to keep up her sudden cold attitude towards others.

“I’m not afraid of dying.” She said blankly.

Sungyeol hit the wall with one of his fists. “Yeah? You’re not afraid of dying? Let me tell you something. It doesn’t matter how brave or reckless you are, but I’m scared of you dying! I’m scared of seeing your blood spill to the floor. I don’t care how much you refuse, I need you to stay alive. You cannot go. Do you understand?” 

Hailey held her chin up and took a step forward causing Sungyeol to step back a little.

“You. Can’t. Stop. Me.”

She said every word with attitude and manoeuvred her way past Sungyeol. Sungyeol banged his fist on the wall again and turned around.

“Hailey!” He shouted but she continued to walk.

Her heart was racing from his words and tears formed at the edge of her eyes. No one. No one has ever valued her life this much. She could feel his sincerity, even if his way of expressing it was a little rough. She shook her head to get rid of these thoughts and raced to her room. Being as quick as possible, she texted Jongup the details of the attack.

“Sungyeol… I’m sorry.” she whispered and let a tear drop to the floor.

Her role here was done. She needed to leave before they found out. Her mission was successful and now it was time for her to return home. Fire would be in for a shock, their hard working member will soon be standing on the opposite side. She would soon become Fire’s enemy. Not that it ever changed in the first place.

Maybe Hailey was being careless or the sudden announcement of dates caused her senses to not be as sharp. But following behind Hailey was Min. She stood beside the door and spied on the girl she believed was the obstacle to her relationship with Sungyeol.

She saw and heard everything, the texting, the apology and the tear. Everything was adding up. For one final chance of confirmation, Min stomped into the room and took Hailey by surprise. She snatched the phone from her hands and checked her sent items.

Hailey’s eyes widened and her hands flew forward in an attempt to retrieve her phone back.

Unfortunately, Min was too quick. She kicked Hailey in the stomach and sent her falling backwards. Min scrolled through the texts and a malicious smirk formed across her face.

“I knew I couldn’t trust you. You filthy scum.” Min threw the phone across the room and grabbed a fistful of Hailey’s hair, yanking her head towards her.

Min’s eyes were flared with blood thirst. Never had Hailey seen eyes with such a desire to kill. Min pulled Hailey up and dragged her out the room. She let out cries of pain as her legs struggled to move forward.

“People! This is a traitor! She is a spy!” Min announced and flung Hailey into the middle of the room.

In a matter of seconds, the whole gang appeared, confused at Min’s sudden accusations.

“I just witnessed this revealing our plan to the enemy!”

Sungyeol finally made his way to the front of the crowd and stood speechless. “No…” he whispered to himself.

Hailey felt her body weaken and she collapsed to the floor. She had a feeling this was the fate she would be facing but she didn’t know it would be happening so soon. Strong arms hulled her back up and locked her in place.

Min walked forward and tapped Hailey’s cheek. “I must admit, you did pretty well, deceiving us all.”

Hailey squirmed but the arms that were holding her up strongly withheld her from doing so.  “You know. Ever since I assigned you to Sungyeol, I hated you. I regretted ever making that decision, but what’s done is done. All I could do was hope that nothing happened between you two. But now, I have the pleasure of taking your life with my own hands.”

Min pulled out a shotgun from her jacket and placed the tip of it to Hailey’s head. She was about to pull the trigger when Sungyeol's voice stopped her.

“Stop!”

Min turned to him, her gun still rested on Hailey's forehead.

“Let me kill her.” 


Author's Notes

Hello my lovely readers! Thank you for your patience! I do apologise for the swearing and name calling... (if it makes you uncomfrotable, I am really sorry!) 

Please look forward to the next chapter, will Hailey really die in Sungyeol's hands? :O