Chapter Fifteen

Playing With Fire

The song that helped me write this chapter. You guys should listen to it! It's absolutely beautiful :')


Recap

“Stop!”

Min turned to him, her gun still rested on Hailey's forehead.

“Let me kill her.” 

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hailey had lost track of the amount of times Sungyeol had pointed a gun to her head. All those times, he spared her, this time she wasn’t so sure. Was he going to break that chain today, at this very moment?

“I’m sorry…” Hailey whispered as she hung her head.

Sungyeol didn’t say anything. Instead Hailey heard him take a deep breath. She looked up, Sungyeol had bloodshot eyes and his nose was reddening.

He held the gun firmly with his arm straight and the corners of his eyes became watery. However, with all the signs showing that he was emotionally hurt, he let out a smirk.

“Hailey is this some joke you’re playing right now?”

Hailey could feel herself becoming weaker as tightened and a throbbing sensation tugged at the back of her eyes. She shook her head, “No… Min is right,” A tear started to fall down her cheek, “I am the enemy.”

Sungyeol’s grip tightened, hearing the words come out of Hailey’s mouth herself proved to be extremely difficult for him to take in.

“You lied…” he said quietly as he readjusted his aim.

“I’m sorry Sungyeol,” Hailey said as her voice was cut back by her tears. “I really am.”

Tears flooded her eyes, her voice was stuck and she couldn’t look at Sungyeol. She thought everything would be ok, she thought things would be easier than this, but it wasn’t. Hailey closed her eyes and pursed her lips. As her eyelids fell, so did the tears that were hiding behind them. As she lowered her head she whispered to herself.

“I love you,”

She hated that she felt like this but if she didn’t say it, she would’ve regretted it for the rest of the remaining life she had. It was time to face it, Sungyeol had changed her heart. He had slowly become the man her heart beats faster to.

“Sungyeol! What are you doing? Shot!” Min yelled, her voice overpowering Hailey’s quiet confession.

“I will!” Sungyeol shouted back.

Hailey held her breath. She thought about the bakery. At least Jongup will have an idea of when Fire was going to attack. Her family should be able to have a chance at surviving this battle. She had accomplished her task. Now all there was left was the consequences.

Min stared at Sungyeol's hand with impatience. She wanted Hailey dead. She wanted her dead, now.

Sungyeol took a deep breath. Why did he only realise this now? He knew that he liked Hailey, but not like this. He knew that he wanted to treasure her but not to this extent.

Only when he had to take away her life, had he realised that he truly loved her. He didn’t know when it started but ever since she came, he changed. He opened up to her, something he would never do. He smiled when she was around, something he would be never show. He even fell in love with her, something he had never felt.

He watched as she closed her eyes for the remaining seconds of her life. Sungyeol smiled, he wanted her to see him one last time. One final look at the man she betrayed, the man that loved her…

Sungyeol turned his head away, preparing to pull the trigger.

The atmosphere was tense, eyes focused on his finger. He could feel everyone holding their breaths, waiting for him to tell the next line of this story. He made up his mind as he prepared for the sequence of actions he was going to commit. Was it a sin or was it a pure decision made by the heart? Only the people around him could be the judge of that…

 

BANG!

 

Gasps filled the room. The sound of a body thudded to the floor. Sungyeol immediately moved his legs, sprinting across the room to grab the hand of a girl that made him crazy.

Min’s eyes widened as she witnessed the next set of events. It wasn’t Hailey Sungyeol had shot, but the guy holding her up. It wasn’t Hailey that was dead, but one of their own. Unable to comprehend what just happened, everyone stood motionless.

Only when Sungyeol had grabbed Hailey’s hand and pushed his way past the crowd had everyone realised the decision Sungyeol just made.

“What are you all standing here for? GO AFTER THEM!” Min screamed as she grabbed the nearest weapon and charged towards the betrayer.

The gang couldn’t believe what had just happened. Furious, they scrambled after the couple and swore to take their lives.

Hailey’s tears never stopped flowing. She didn’t know what was happening herself. Was she dead? Is this some fantasy running inside her head?

When she heard heavy footsteps chasing after her, she knew this wasn't some dream but reality.

“Why?” She finally asked when her voice returned.

Sungyeol kept on running, eyes focused ahead.

The firing of bullets could be heard behind them and Hailey could’ve sworn that one almost hit her shoulder.

The gang was getting dangerously closer and Hailey could barely keep up with Sungyeol’s pace, let alone try to concentrate with bullets flying towards them. With the gun still in his hands, Sungyeol fired it behind him, hoping it would at least hit one of them.

Sungyeol was running out of breath, his legs were starting to feel heavy and his stamina was reaching its peak.

Deciding quickly, he turned the next corner and found a large dumpster sitting on the side of the road. Relieved that they had some sort of object to shield them, he ran next to it and pinned Hailey against the wall.  

“I’m sorry,” he said quickly and crashed his lips onto hers, kissing her passionately.

He pulled his jacket over them and desperately wished this plan would work.

Hailey was scared at first but after hearing the footsteps coming closer, she immediately assisted in their act. She tried to make it more realistic by wrapping her arms around him and pretending to be comfortable. Both of them looking as if they were about to eat each other’s face off.

The gang was raging and somehow overlooked the couple ‘making-out’ and charged ahead. When the sound of shoes slapping the ground grew fainter, Sungyeol instantly broke apart.

Hailey looked at him as he wiped his lips with the back of his hand.

“Sorry…” he said again and turned away.

Hailey didn’t know what was going on anymore. Did Sungyeol just betray his own gang to keep her alive?

“Stop thinking about pointless things. We need to go to somewhere safe,” he said with his back turned as if reading Hailey’s mind.

“B-bakery…” Hailey stuttered, “let’s go to the bakery.” 


Author's Notes

I just want to say a BIG thank you for everyone who has stayed with me for so long. Thank you for reading and supporting me! <3

I would also like to give a shoutout to 'Dadamato9466' and 'jngcsy' for commenting on my updates! I LOVE YOU <3

As always, that you for reading! I appreciate every view this story gets :')