Chapter Sixteen

Playing With Fire

Recap

“Stop thinking about pointless things. We need to go to somewhere safe,” he said with his back turned as if reading Hailey’s mind.

“B-bakery…” Hailey stuttered, “let’s go to the bakery.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Min let out a deafening cry and threw her gun onto the ground. The metal cracked against the hard surface and caused everyone behind to stop running.

“Where did they go?” She yelled as she the spot. “Sunggyu!”

“Ah, yes…”

“From now on, you’re taking over Sungyeol’s role. Fire! Sunggyu is now your new commander. Lee Sungyeol is no longer one of us, his rebellion will be recorded in our books of betrayal. He is now on the wanted list!” Min roared as she stomped past her members and into the shadows.

The members watched as their leader made out random cries and kicked random objects blocking her path.

“What do we do now, Sunggyu?” a voice asked.

“For now… we wait. He won’t be able to hide from us forever.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hailey was short of breath. Every step she took made her tremble. As she got closer to their destination, she could feel sweat seeping through the pores of her skin. It felt as if she was bringing her boyfriend to see her parents for the first time. Except, the boyfriend wasn’t a boyfriend but a member of an enemy gang that had intentions of hurting them.

Hailey still didn’t understand why Sungyeol choose to do this. His willingness to come along with her made everything he did so suspicious.

“Are you scared?” Sungyeol suddenly asked and made Hailey flinch.

“Of what?” Hailey asked nervously.

Sungyeol smirked, “Are you suspecting that everything I did is some big calculated plan to trick you into taking me to your precious bakery for Fire’s revenge?”

Hailey blinked. How…? How did he know?

“I take that silence as a yes then?”

“No,” Hailey quickly replied. “It’s not that at all…” her voice faded and she stopped walking.

“That was a pretty big decision I made back there, you know that?” Sungyeol said.

Hailey nodded.

“Thinking about it now, it was a pretty stupid one as well.”

Hailey nodded again.

“But,” Sungyeol hesitated before he finished off his sentence, “I regret nothing.”

His last words made Hailey look up. Sungyeol gazed off into the side, revealing his defined jaw line. He slowly smiled and looked back at Hailey.

“If I killed you… that would’ve been my biggest regret in life.”

Hailey gulped. Her emotions were getting the best of her. She wondered if he’d heard her quietly confess. If her assumptions of what he was implying were correct… the feeling they shared was mutual.

“Aren’t you angry at me?” Hailey paused, “For doing this? For lying to you? Isn’t that what you hate the most?”

Sungyeol took a step closer and his eyes were focused on only one thing, the girl that stood before him.

“At first, yes. I was furious! But what made me even angrier was the fact that you would leave me. Call me an idiot for all I care but the fact that after today you would die and leave me alone in this world made my blood boil!”

Sungyeol stopped talking and waited for a response. He wasn’t sure if Hailey had picked up all the subtle hints he’s been trying to show her. She had reminded him of how much his mother enforced the value of following your heart.

“When I pointed that gun at you, my heart hurt, a lot. How could I…? Why would I? To someone who made every sunrise a day to look forward to,” Sungyeol let out a small laugh, “You were like the icing on a cake, the base beat of a song, the bullets in my gun. Without those, everything just wouldn’t be the same.”

The atmosphere that surrounded them suddenly became awkward. Sungyeol’s change in character made Hailey realise he was like any other ordinary person. Gangsters weren’t all cold hearted and ruthless, they weren’t all bloodthirsty killers that lived on vengeance, they were normal people. People that made mistakes.

“Thank you.” Hailey said gratefully breaking the silence, “thank you for saving my life, thank you for caring for me and thank you for being here.”

Her words of gratitude caught Sungyeol by surprise. Not waiting for him to even respond, Hailey grabbed his hand and ran closer to the bakery. She pulled him behind her and yelled.

“Lee Sungyeol is the best!”

Sungyeol tumbled behind Hailey and smiled. “Hailey is the worst!” He joked and laughed.

Hailey smiled. The reason she started running in front was because she didn’t want him to see her when she was most vulnerable. That part when she couldn’t control the tears from flowing from her tired eyes.

After turning a few corners, the bakery came into view.

“We’re here,” Hailey informed and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

The familiar scent of bread wafted into the street and Hailey felt a warm sensation building up. She was back home, with the addition of being alive. She sneaked behind the store to the all too familiar entrance.

She lifted her hand to knock but halted. Sungyeol stood poking his head behind her, wanting to see just who would open that door.

Hailey clenched her fists and awkwardly brought her hand back down.

“What are you waiting for? I bet Fire’s still on our tails,” Sungyeol said.

Hailey sighed. “You’re right. I mean what’s there to be nervous about? Ok, let’s do this!”

Hailey lifted her hand once more and prepared to knock hard on the surface of the door. Abruptly, the door creaked open just at that moment and Hailey’s hand hit the surface of something much softer. Sungyeol’s mouth gaped open slightly and Hailey immediately removed her hands and cupped them over .

“D-daehyun!” Hailey said in shock.

Daehyun shook his head slightly and looked at his attacker. She had hit him directly in the forehead where he just replaced his bandages. He blinked and stared at the rustling bags of rubbish in his hands.

“I’m so sorry!” Hailey apologized.

“Daehyun, who is it?” A voice from inside asked. Hailey’s heart froze. This voice…

Moments later, a figure appeared beside Daehyun. His eyes widened as he processed the person standing outside.

His mouth opened and closed, words just couldn’t find their way out.

Hailey felt her tears build up again. “J-Jongup!” She cried and jumped at the stunned male, tears continuously glazing her cheeks.

Jongup wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. Sungyeol who was watching all this felt his jaw clench.

“They’re family… they’re family,” he repeatedly mumbled to himself.

Jongup opened his eyes and saw Sungyeol casually standing there. His brow creased and then realization hit him. He removed himself from Hailey and pushed her behind him, grabbed Daehyun and pulled him inside as well.

“What are you doing here?” He asked with cold eyes.

“Jongup, it’s ok. Sungyeol was the one who saved me… he… he betrayed his own gang for me.” Hailey interrupted.

Jongup glanced back at Hailey and then narrowed his already small eyes at the enemy.

Sungyeol returned his icy glare and took a step forward. Jongup immediately blocked his path with his arm.

“It’s ok. Trust me, we can trust him.” Hailey said and placed her hand over Jongup’s arm to ease his tensing muscles.

Jongup forcefully removed his hand and Sungyeol smirked. He walked up and entered the door.

“I wouldn’t get so cocky if I were you,” Jongup whispered as he passed.

Sungyeol’s smile grew wider. “I missed these fights with you.”

Jongup’s nose flared and he grabbed the front of Sungyeol’s shirt and shoved him against a wall. “I don’t care what you did to help Hailey or how you betrayed your gang or whatever. But if you think we’re going to be best mates by tomorrow… think again.” Jongup threatened and released his grasp.

Sungyeol scoffed, “I should be the one pinning you to a wall… considering how you and your gang Phoenix abandoned us.”

Jongup ignored his comment and turned to Hailey.

“I’m letting him go because I trust your judgment ok? If he even thinks about switching sides… I’m killing him with my own hands.”

Hailey opened to explain but Jongup had already stormed out the room.

Sungyeol let out a breath and straightened his shirt, “Well, that was a warm welcome.”

“Oh, rubbish,” Daehyun suddenly said in a reminding tone and went outside to dump the black bags in his hands.

Hailey looked at the blonde male who paid no attention to her. He seemed so foreign now. “Daehyun…”


Author's Notes

Thank you for reading everyone!! I apologise for this late update TT^TT, I'm so grateful for all your patience!! <3

I can not explain how much I love you guys~~ I heart you!!

xxx