Chapter Seventeen

Playing With Fire

Recap

“Oh, rubbish,” Daehyun suddenly said in a reminding tone and went outside to dump the black bags in his hands.

Hailey looked at the blonde male who paid no attention to her. He seemed so foreign now. “Daehyun…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Hailey!” Minho’s deep voice called as he charged towards the female. “Oh how we’ve missed you!”

Hailey laughed, “I missed everyone as well.”

Sungyeol stood leaning against the door frame. Arms folded across his chest as he observed the number of people hugging his love interest. He couldn’t watch any longer and changed his focus on a torn couch in the corner.

Sitting on the couch was a male Hailey called Daehyun. Sungyeol analysed his features.

“I know you…” he mumbled to himself. He remembered that time he was about to take his life and felt extremely guilty.

“Hey,” Sungyeol greeted.

Daehyun’s attention seemed to be glued onto something else. He didn’t even utter a word at Sungyeol’s greeting but instead waved a hand as a sign that he’s acknowledged him.

"I'm... er, sorry about what I did a while back..." Sungyeol began to apologise.

Daehyun didn't react to his apology as his attention was somewhere else. Sungyeol was confused and traced the direction of his eyes.

He looked forward and saw that Daehyun’s reason of trance was because of a female in the middle of the room, Hailey. His eyes were set straight on her and no one else.

“I… know her.” Daehyun suddenly mumbled.

Sungyeol glanced over in his direction and gave him a perplexed look. “Well… yeah.” He replied as if it was the most obvious fact known to man.

“No… you don’t understand! I know her!” Daehyun repeated, eyes still fixed on Hailey.

Sungyeol struggled to comprehend. Why wouldn’t you know her? She basically saved you from death! From me…

Daehyun placed a hand over his heart and clenched his fists. “I don’t remember… but I’m positive I know her…” he began to speak again. “Every time I see her, I start feeling all kinds of emotions but…” there was a long pause, “I don’t remember…”

Sungyeol had finally pieced the puzzle together. He must’ve lost his memory. Was this because of me?

Daehyun suddenly stood up and walked straight towards his subject of interest.

Sungyeol watched as the man charged his way through the crowd and took hold of Hailey’s shoulders.

“I know you.” He called.

Hailey smiled, “I know you too.”

“No! It’s not like that,” he shook his head in denial, “I know you but… I can’t remember you… why can’t I…” he suddenly reached for his head. It was aching in pain as he tried to concentrate on the girl he believed he knew yet didn’t remember.

Hailey smiled again, “Daehyun, I know it’s hard but don’t push yourself. These things take time.”

Daehyun shook his head. “I have to remember… I just… need to remember you.”

Hailey looked at him with worrying eyes. The room went silent as they took sight of the male trying so desperately to recover. “Daehyun, it’s alright…” Hailey consoled.

Hailey supported him to the couch and sat down beside him. The other members followed and gathered around the couple.

Hailey smiled and patted his back. “It’s alright. Stay strong, Daehyun.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

There was a numbing sensation on Hailey’s lower body. She could smell the rich aroma of freshly baked bread making its way pass her senses and faint noises coming from another room. Her tired eyes fluttered open and when it was focused, she looked down at her legs to see what caused them to be uncomfortably tingly. A head rested on her thigh and she realised that she was still on the couch.

“I must’ve fallen asleep here,” she whispered as she carefully stretched her upper body. Making sure she didn’t move too vigorously in case the male who was using her leg as a pillow would wake up. She tried to adjust the position of his head so she could get up but failed to do so.

The boy turned and it only made Hailey’s pins and needles worse. She winced at the prickling sensation and decided to wake the boy up. Besides, the smell of bread was only increasing her hunger.

“Daehyun.” She said and shook his shoulder, “wake up…”

There was no reaction from the male and Hailey sighed. “Wake up…” she said half crying in pain from her legs. “I don’t think I’ll be able to walk if you don’t.”

Daehyun groaned and shifted his position again causing more silent screams and weird gestures to be seen from Hailey. “Daehyun…”

“HEY! GOLDILOCKS!” A sudden shout came from in front of the two followed by a flying kick to Daehyun’s legs.

Hailey gasped and looked up to see just who had committed such a horrible act.

Sungyeol’s smirking face came into view. Hailey smiled and just shook her head.

However, the kick was extremely effective and the sleepy Daehyun shot up straight away and started to tend to his aching leg.

“Glad you’re up Goldilocks. Because of you I had to leave Hailey sleeping and had to help out,” Sungyeol shuddered, “Jongup with the baking.”

Hailey laughed, “Sorry…”

“And you should be. Do you know how hard it is to keep flour from flying into my eyes!” Sungyeol complained.

Hailey smiled and stood up. She had forgotten that her lower body was pretty much unusable and collapsed back onto the couch.

“Ow…”

Sungyeol looked at her with concern. “What happened?”

“Oh, it’s nothing. I just have pins and needles.” Hailey reassured.

A playful grin appeared on Sungyeol’s face, “I can help fix that” he suggested.

Hailey shook her head and placed her arms up in defence, “No… that’s ok.”

“Come on. You’ll be all better after this.” Sungyeol persuaded and took hold of Hailey’s arms, preparing to pull her up.

Hailey tried to stay seated but every flinch or movement would increase the pain. When she finally stood up, she felt like she had just lost her legs.

“Here,” Sungyeol said and stood on her feet.

Hailey let out more silent screams and she gave Sungyeol a death glare.

When Sungyeol finally removed his weight from her toes, Hailey let out a breath.

“You better?” Sungyeol asked.

Hailey took a step forward and was surprised to find that her legs were normal again. She smiled at the miracle and nodded. “Yep.”

The two stood staring at each other with a smug look on their faces. That was soon interrupted when Jongup suddenly poked his head into the room and threw a slipper towards Sungyeol’s head.

Sungyeol twitched and was about to return the favour but stopped when he saw who had thrown it.

“I thought you would be here. Hailey come eat. Breakfast is ready,” Jongup chimed, “Oh and Daehyun you come and eat too.” He smiled and completely disregarded the fact that Sungyeol was there as well.

Everything seemed fine. There was no news of Fire and Sungyeol slowly adapted to his new environment. He became a lot happier and would be surprisingly funny sometimes. Even the members of Phoenix were starting to trust him and remove their doubts.

“How long has it been? Two weeks?” Jongup said as he began to spread some butter on his toast.

“Pretty much,” Sungyeol replied.

“I was not talking to you.” Jongup stated and turned his head to the person next to him. “As I was saying. It’s been two weeks already, do you think Fire has given up?”

Hailey shook her head. “I don’t think so. They seemed really mad, I think they’re planning something… something big.”

“I think so too.” Jongup replied and went back to preparing his toast.

“Yeah me too,” Sungyeol added and went to grab the jar of jam located an arm’s length away. Coincidently, Jongup seemed to have wanted the same thing. Jongup had grabbed the top of the jar whereas Sungyeol had taken hold of the body.

The two males stared at their hands and then at each other. Jongup cleared his throat, “I think I touched that first…”

Sungyeol gave a laugh and shook his head, “No… I think I touched it first.”

Both of them glared at each other with their hands still firmly attached onto the jar of jam.

Hailey couldn’t help but smile at their behaviour. Although they thought of each other as enemies, to strangers, they looked just like brothers.

Daehyun was sitting in silence, observing the people around him. I wish I could be like that around them. If only I remembered… He thought.

The table soon started to fill up with other members and they all joked and laughed like one big family. Unfortunately, this would be the last day they would laugh together like this…

That night, dogs howled and the street was unusually empty. Street lights flickered and the night air was dead and cold.

Inside the bakery, everyone was busy playing board games and creating ridiculous punishments. They were all in separate groups and enjoyed their own choice of games.

“And I win!” Jongup said happily as he threw his card onto the pile.

“That’s not fair!” Hailey complained, “I had one card left.”

“A rule is a rule, it’s time for your punishment.” Jongup said with a sly smile.

“Jongup… you know how much you love me…” Hailey replied, trying to sound as sweet as possible. 

“Sorry, rules are rules,” Jongup said and made his way towards her.

“Jongup…” Hailey said slowly. “Sungyeol help me!” She cried and tried to block Jongup’s hand from flicking her head.

Sungyeol jumped to her rescue but to her surprise, he held her in place to allow Jongup’s deadly attack rather than to prevent it.

“What are you doing?” Hailey wailed as she tried to break free.

“This way, I get a chance to hold you in my arms.” Sungyeol whispered with a smile. Hailey couldn’t believe how cheesy he sounded.

“Ready?” Jongup asked.

Jongup was about to give Hailey the most painful flick she’s ever received when a sudden loud noise halted him from doing so.

The piercing sounds of breaking glass filled their ears and a thunderous voice could be heard from outside.

“Lee Sungyeol! I know you’re in there! Get out here right now and face us like a man!” A voice of a very familiar female echoed. “And all of you Phoenix trash too, come out if you don’t want you place burned to ashes and thrown across the ocean!”

Fire was here. 


Author's Note:

I'm BACKK!! hahaha sorry to keep you guys waiting!! I've been really busy and everything... *cries* Anyway thank you for reading and staying with me, I love you!! <3

Since I was away for so long I decided to make a poll for you guys just as something bonus ^^ Results will be announced on the last chapter so go on, vote! :P 

If there's a pairing that you like and I haven't listed it, feel free to comment below >.< Have fun deciding!