Chapter Seven

Playing With Fire

 

Recap

Hailey spent that night wondering if it was ok to be the fraud she was. She seemed to have gained Sungyeol’s trust and it would be horrible if he found out she was lying to him this whole time.

No, I have to find out who they’re going to attack. Even if Sungyeol seems like a nice guy, Fire’s motives aren’t. I can’t let my own emotions get caught in protecting my family. I can’t…

~*~*~*~*~*~*

It seemed like the night would go on forever. Sungyeol had given up the only bed in his room and slept on a portable mattress located on the floor. Hailey felt terrible. She tried to argue about him having first priority since he was hurt but Sungyeol won the argument. Hailey wasn’t surprised though, he did look rather scary and if she didn’t agree to his suggestions, Hailey was sure he would’ve done something not so nice about it.

I don’t get it. How could he change like that? One minute he’s all I’m-a-caring-kind-of-gangster and the next he returns to his usual cold self. 

Hailey twisted to her side and tried to relax her mind. As hard as she tried, she couldn’t stop the thoughts she had. She debated how she was going to carry out this plan and started to doubt if she was going to even succeed.

Meow.

Hailey’s eyes flew open. The cry wasn’t loud but in the dead silence of night, it sounded like thunder crashing from a nearby storm.

Meow.

“It’s only a cat,” she said quietly and let out a sigh of relief.  She was feeling really tired and let her eyelids fall.

Sudden ruffling noises filled the silence and Hailey lifted her head slightly to see what it was. She immediately placed her head back down when she saw Sungyeol walking towards the window.

Sungyeol felt exhausted and his injury sure didn’t help him navigate around the dark room. He looked over at Hailey to see if she was awake and let out a relieved sigh. He opened the window and a cool breeze crept in, forming goose bumps on the back of his neck. He leaned over the window pane and hung his arm over it. A small white kitten sauntered towards him and his finger with the tip of its tongue.

“Hey there little guy, sorry I forgot to feed you.” Sungyeol whispered and went back to retrieve a tin box from under his study table.

He went back to the window and started to gently place some cat food onto the ground. The white kittens slit eyes widened and started to happily dine on his free meal. Not long after several other cats appeared and Sungyeol began to distribute more food for them.

Sungyeol stared at them with gentle eyes and sighed. “You guys are lucky. The only thing you have to worry about is your next meal.”

While he was distracted by the kittens he didn’t have a clue that he was being watched. Hailey was observing him from her bed and couldn’t believe the scene she was watching.

Sungyeol finally closed the window and returned to his mattress. Hailey had just witnessed possibly, one of Sungyeol’s secrets.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

“May I please have your attention everyone?” Min announced through a microphone when everyone gathered at a large hall behind the hideout.

Hailey had stayed here for nearly two weeks. She had been assigned as Sungyeol’s helper and has quickly gained a reputation for being the hardest working member.

“As some of you may know, we have set our eyes on a particular gang,”

This is it! Hailey thought to herself as Min continued to speak.

“I want to give everyone an update. I need some of you to go spy on them tonight to find short cuts and escape routes around their premises. If everything goes according to plan the date we have set to attack will stay and wouldn’t need to be postponed further. After some analysis I think the following members will be most suited for the job alongside with your group leader, Sungyeol. If your name is called please stay here with me after the announcement.”

Whispers started to occur as they discussed who the mystery candidates were. Hailey was secretly hoping that she would be picked. This would be the best opportunity to find out if they really were going to attack the bakery.

“The candidates are: Lee Sunggyu, L and...”

Hailey held her breath. She had tried so hard the past week that it would be slightly disappointing if she wasn’t appointed to be part of the team.

“… a special request from Sungyeol, Hailey.”

There were cheers of excitement as well as sighs of disappointment. This was a pretty big job and Hailey was picked to be one of members to complete it. The crowd exited the hall and the four candidates stayed put to speak with their leader.

This was the moment Hailey had been waiting for. This was this second big step to her plan. Besides Sungyeol, Hailey had only seen the other two candidates around and didn’t know them very well.

Min rolled out an A3 sized map and placed it onto a table. “This is the map of the town. We’re here and the place we want to attack is here,” Min pointed with her long polished fingernails.

Hailey examined the target location, it was definitely the Bakery. She had to warn Jongup and the others.

“Is everybody clear?” Min asked and Hailey didn’t realise she had just tuned out on parts of the plan while she was busy thinking.

Everyone replied with such fighting spirit and enthusiasm. It left Hailey thinking they must really hold a grudge against her gang.

“So who’s going to be doing what?” Sunggyu asked and directed his question towards the team head Sungyeol.

Sungyeol’s face was stone cold and serious. “Sunggyu and L, you two will be looking out for shortcuts and the quickest way to get inside while Hailey and I will explore and mark out escape routes. Any objections?”

The three teammates shook their head in unison causing Sungyeol to let out the slightest hint of a smile.

“Good. We’ll meet up at the front at around 11pm. Rest until then.”

It wasn’t the first time Hailey saw Sungyeol’s leadership abilities but for some reason, just at that moment Hailey truly believed that he was the most suited for the job.

“How’s your leg?” Hailey asked whispered to Sungyeol as they walked out the hall.

“It’s a lot better,” he said and looked down at his thigh, “thanks to you.”

He looked up and Hailey couldn’t believe her eyes. He was smiling! Hailey let out a small laugh. “You should do that more often.”

Sungyeol's eyebrows creased, “Do what? Get stabbed in the leg?”

Hailey laughed at his cluelessness. “No! Smile.”

Sungyeol looked away. “I can only do it in front of you.” He mumbled under his breath but had the tiniest hope the Hailey had heard it. She didn’t.

Hailey and Sungyeol walked back into their room and Hailey needed some time by herself to call Jongup. As Sungyeol wasn’t looking she sneaked her second phone into her pocket.

“I’ll be back.” She said and walked into the bathroom.

With the lock of the door, Hailey felt safe to get her phone out. She turned the tap on so the nose of rushing water would hide her voice or at least make it harder for others to hear.

Hailey dialed Jongup’s number and waited until he picked up. She heard his voice answer and she mentally sighed. It’s been so long since she’s seen him and hearing his voice bought back memories of her time at the bakery.

“Hailey!” Jongup said with surprise.

“Hey. I’ve called to tell you that four members of Fire, including myself are going to be going to the Bakery tonight to just check out the place.” Hailey warned in a low whisper.

“So they are targeting the bakery!” Jongup exclaimed.

“Yeah I guess so. Be prepared to lock up and try to make things difficult.” Hailey suggested.

“Alright. Take care of yourself ok?”

“Don’t worry. I will.” Hailey said with a nod and hung up.

She turned the tap off and stared at her phone. Someone suddenly knocked on the door urgently.

“Hey whoever’s in there, Could you hurry up?” They shouted.

Hailey immediately placed her phone back in her pocket. “Sorry!” She called out and opened the door.

A tall male holding onto his stomach raced past her, “About time,” he muttered angrily.

Oh, the difficulties of having a total of three bathrooms to share amongst a gang. Hailey thought to herself and walked back to her room.

Sungyeol was resting peacefully on his mattress and Hailey couldn’t help but feel tired as she watched him. She crawled into bed and tried to get some rest before a long and troublesome night. 


Authors Note

Thank you for reading! <3

I've finally updated after a while... a long while. But thank you for being patient and please comment and subscribe! >.<