Chapter Eighteen

Playing With Fire

Recap

Fire was here.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Everyone stopped what they were doing and moved closer to where the voice was coming from.

“I’m going to count to 3! If you don’t come out than don’t regret it when you all burn inside that building! One…,” the female voice announced.

Everyone was feeling anxious. They knew Fire would eventually come but the two week wait had conditioned them to have the slightest belief that they had given up. Obviously, they were wrong. Jongup didn’t hesitate to rush out and bring back a large wooden crate. He dumped it in the middle of the room and everyone peered down at the content. Numerous variations of guns and weapons displayed in front of them and everyone took a good look at one another.

“I’ll go out first.” Sungyeol volunteered and took a random weapon from the box. It wasn’t the best but the small shotgun would suffice.

“No,” Hailey protested. “You’ll get killed if you go by yourself!”

Jongup was the next to speak and he was serious. “I’m coming with you.”

“Two…” The voice called.

 “We should go together.” Minho suggested, “At least that way we’ve got each other’s backs.”

The group nodded and each took a weapon from the box. They got ready and made their way outside with Minho leading the group.

“THREE! I see you guys are just a bunch of cowards. Alright then, let’s show them what we’re capable of!”

Just when Fire was going to charge towards the bakery, they saw a figure emerge from the building. One by one, Phoenix stepped out and faced them. Faces showing no fear, posture showing no weakness.

Fire stopped moving forward.

Daehyun was still inside, he was told to stay there and let the others deal with it. He didn’t want that. He didn’t want to be that useless guy who became the last survivor. Instead, he took a steel rod from the garage and followed after them.

The two groups were now face to face. Fire with the determination to destroy and Phoenix with the will to protect. Just which mentality was stronger?

“Where’s that traitor? Lee Sungyeol, show yourself.” Min shouted.

A figure stepped out from behind Minho and moved forward, coming out from the shadows. “Did you miss me?” He said with a smirk.

Min scoffed. “A traitor like you doesn’t deserve to be missed or living.”

“Well here I am.” He said with a laugh and spread his arms out to his side.

Hailey looked at Sungyeol standing isolated from their group. She knew this night would only end in bloodshed for both parties. There was no happy ending for the winner or the loser.

They needed help. This was no longer a rivalry between gangs, this was an act of murder and revenge. Hailey quickly shuffled to the back of the group and took out her phone. She turned around and tried to speak softly so Fire wouldn’t be able to catch her.

“… Chunhei?”

“Yes, this is Chunhei. Who am I speaking to?”

“This is Hailey. I don’t know if you remember but you said to call you if I had news about Fire.”

Hailey heard a laugh from the other side, “Yeah. When I thought that you weren’t from Fire. I don’t have time to deal with you. I have other cases to follow.”

“No please listen. Fire. Is. Here.”

“What?”

“Look I was only in Fire as a spy… it’s a long story but Fire is here! At the bakery! We need help.”

There was a long silence on the other side. “Chunhei?”

“Sorry, I was just reporting the situation. This is bad. This is really bad! We’re sending our team over now but until then, don’t, and I repeat, DON’T you let anyone get hurt until we get there. Try to delay the fighting… please.” Chunhei begged.

“Ok, I’ll try. Thank you!” Hailey replied in gratitude and heard Chunhei hang up. Hailey sighed and closed her eyes. She clutched her phone to her chest and prayed for the wellbeing of everyone.

Hailey was about to return to the group when she saw Daehyun’s head amongst the crowd. She ran towards him and pulled his arm.

“What are you doing?” She whispered.

“Helping.” Daehyun replied and lifted his weapon.

Hailey shook her head. “No… you are in no condition to-”

“to what?” Daehyun interrupted. “Look just because I’ve lost my memory, it does not mean I’m disabled. I am still physically healthy. I don’t want to sit around and wait for the people who are caring for me to go on a suicide trip.”

Hailey saw his hands trembling. He was just as scared as she was.

“I am not going to be that useless person who just watches!” Daehyun cried.

“And,” he added softly, “I’m still trying to remember you…”

The sound of a gun pierced the silent night and everyone turned to look at the shooter.

It was Min. She shot a bullet in the air and had a frightening smile. “Let the battle begin…”

Hailey’s eyes widened and she trudged her way to the front screaming “No!”

Min eyed the girl who disrupted her signal. “Oh, it’s that other traitor. So many people who deserve to die tonight…”

“Min, we don’t have to do this!” Hailey shouted and was beside Sungyeol.

“get back,” Sungyeol firmly whispered and tried to push her behind him.

Hailey opposed to his force and stayed where she was. “We don’t need to- AHH!”

Min fired a bullet next to Hailey’s feet causing her to scream and jump. “I don’t have time for this. Fire, let’s go!”

Fire charged ahead and Phoenix followed. Both groups were closing the space between them. Sungyeol pulled Hailey towards the bakery and instructed her to stay there.

“Don’t you dare go out there, hear me?” Sungyeol demanded. “You almost got yourself killed just then! That is not happening again.” He said with emphasis.

“No we can’t fight… I have to stop it. There must be a way.”

“Hailey!” Sungyeol shouted. “Listen to me!”

Hailey went silent.

“I can’t protect you when I’m out there ok? Stay. Here.”

With that Sungyeol turned around and went to assist Phoenix. Hailey watched with her shaking body and cold hands. It was like Déjà vu all over again.  Time slowed down… the sounds of guns couldn’t even be heard by her anymore. All she could hear was her heavy breathing and fast beating heart. She witnessed bodies dropping to the floor, blood spilling from flesh and people lying still… motionless. She started to slowly shake her head, her hand cupped over her wide mouth and hot tears flowed from her eyes.

“no…” she whispered. “NO!”

She ran towards the fighting groups, dodging arms coming towards her and kicks flying her way. She spotted Daehyun getting severely over powered and rushed to help him. Using the skills she’s gathered so far she managed to punch a few blows and knock them out temporarily without killing them. Daehyun’s face was bruising and he had blood trickling down the corner of his mouth. He was about to collapse forward when Hailey pushed her hand against his chest and supported him back up.

“Daehyun!” She called.

His eyes were unfocused and she could tell his vision was blurred. “Daehyun!”

Daehyun closed his eyes. He had received a few blows in the head, damaging his co-ordination but hearing Hailey’s voice calling him somehow triggered a reaction.

He wanted to stay alive.

“Go…” he said breathlessly as he pushed Hailey away from him. “Don’t fight…”

Hailey protested and stubbornly stayed there to support him.

“Go…” he said again but his voice was still choked from pain.

With the little strength he had left he gave her one last hard push, sending both of them in opposite directions. Hailey tumbled backwards but still kept her balance, Daehyun however fell towards the floor, sitting restlessly on the icy ground.

Hailey glanced around her, no one was in close proximity to Daehyun as they were all occupied with their own opponents. She contemplated whether she should stay or go help the others. A loud cry of agony filled her ears and she made her decision. He should be safe for now.

She quickly turned around to see Minho clutching his arm while only using his legs to defend himself. Hailey gasped and sprinted to his aid. She punched the attacker across the face and consequently broke his nose. The member collapsed to the floor in pain and using this opportunity Hailey kicked him across the head and knocked him unconscious.

She bent over the take a look at Minho. “Hey! Are you ok?”

“I’m fine…” Minho said with a strained voice, “I think he broke my arm.”

Hailey helped him sit in a secret alleyway so he was hidden from the enemy. “You shouldn’t fight anymore.” Hailey suggested and returned to the scene of chaos.

Min was busy pointing guns and firing it at her enemies. She stopped when she spotted the female that ruined all her schemes run in the distance. She smiled and lifted her arm, aiming it at her moving target.

Not too far from Min was Daehyun who was still sitting on the floor. He saw that Hailey was her next prey. His eyes darted back and forth from her and Hailey who was clueless about Min’s ambush.

“No…” Daehyun thought.

His head suddenly rushed with pain and it felt almost as if an electric current was travelling from one cell to another. He needed to ignore the pain though, he needed to save…

His head was throbbing and the pain was excruciating. It was so unbearable he wanted to cut his head open and rip his brain out. But at that very moment, for a split second, that pain disappeared. Replacing it was a hazy fog of images. Blurred yet still recognisable.

He saw a young girl crying alone on the street, that same girl who he undeniably had crush on. He held her hand and walked her to a bakery.

Daehyun felt sweat forming on his brow, he whispered her name. “Hailey…”

His eyes gleamed. “Hailey… Hailey! Oh my god, Hailey!” He cried and stood up to run.

His limbs were barely moveable but he still ran. He took a quick glance at Min, she was getting ready to pull the trigger.

“This is what you get for thinking you could trick us.” He heard her say. He tried to take longer strides.

Hailey turned her head, she saw the nose of Min’s gun pointing in her direction. She twisted her head from side to side, she needed to get out of the way-

 

BANG!

 

Once again time travelled in slow motion. The bullet cut the air and was soaring right towards her. There was no time to react, no time to move, just… no time…

Hailey knew this was it, this was her goodbye.

She closed her eyes but before they fully sealed, she saw a shadow move past her vision.

It must be the Reaper.

She heard the sound of the bullet hit flesh. Goodbye Sungyeol. Goodbye Jongup, Goodbye Daehy-

Before she could finish her thoughts, a heavy weight fell over her making her open her eyes. Her eyes witnessed the chaotic sequence of fighting again. She saw Min in the distance and slowly looked down at the body that was leaning on her. She was supporting a person. Blood soaked his clothes where a distinct fresh bullet wound showed. The male’s blonde hair was no longer bright and illuminating but dull and dirty from the particles of dust. Hailey stood frozen. Her hands shook as she slowly touched the wound on his back. Blood covered her hands.

Her whole body was shaking and her breathing was distorted. Two large drops of tears streamed down her mortified face, followed by more.

“D-d-d,”

She had to pause to breath.

“DAEHYUN!” She cried as she collapsed, taking the male down with her in her arms.

“DAEHYUN!!” She shouted again.

Min saw that Hailey was still breathing and prepared to shoot again when she felt something cold on the back of her head.

She heard someone heavily breathing behind her. “Min… this ends now.” Sungyeol’s voice called and in an instant he knocked her with the back of his gun. Min’s body crumbled towards the ground sending heads turning in her direction.  

Deafening sirens then interrupted the bloody scene and everyone stopped what they were doing. Police cars surrounded the area and S.W.A.T units exited from black vans.

“PUT YOUR WEAPON’S DOWN!” Yongguk’s voice demanded and he aimed his gun in front of him. “HANDS UP!”

Everyone stopped and moved themselves away from each other.

“PUT YOUR HANDS UP NOW!” Yongguk shouted again.

Both gangs listened and placed their arms in the air, dropping whatever they were holding.

Meanwhile, Hailey was still on the floor, Daehyun lying on her lap.

“Daehyun!” She cried again, her tears dripping onto his face as she touched it.

Daehyun gulped and forced a smile. He was still breathing.

“Why…?” Hailey asked, her voice strained and croaky.

Daehyun lifted his arm and cupped her face. He ran his thumb over her cheek, catching a tear from falling.

Hailey could feel the blood soaking into her own clothes, the dampness only made her more aware of his sacrifice.

“Why?” She said again as she no longer had the ability to generate full sentences.

Daehyun moved his lips and mumbled something. Hailey furrowed her eyebrows and leaned in closer to hear what he wanted to say.

“…I” Daehyun started.

Hailey wiped her tears and tried to slow down her breathing.

“Yes Daehyun? You…?”

Daehyun’s hands felt cold on her face. He pulled her head closer and whispered into her ear.

“…I remember…”

After his last words, his hands dropped to his side and Hailey was left stiff and motionless. 

I remember. The words repeated inside her head.


Authors Note:

Thank you for reading!! <3 

I want to leave you with this short video of Daehyun and his amazing singing :')