Chapter 14

The Unexpected Becomes The Expected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Unexpected Becomes the Expected

Story By LeeHwaYoung

 

I gripped the steering wheel, my nuckles turning white, thoughts turning to my sister who always turned up when least expected. My thoughts turned angry as I thought of her tattling to our mother and father about what I was up to, who I was with, and what I was doing, but I also felt a shiver of fear. She had seen Hyuk Jae. She had seen me defend him. What would be the consequences? There were definitely going to be consequences. Refocusing my thoughts, I put effort into my driving, making sure I was going down the right streets but I couldn't help noticing the silence spreading through the car. Glancing over, I noticed Hyuk Jae in deep thought, his eyebrows creased downward.

Glimpsing from the road to the picture in Hyuk Jae's hands, a feeling like I had seen a similar picture before arousing my sense but I shook them away, deciding to break the silence instead. "Why don't we stop for some food while we think?" I asked, my voice echoing off the car walls, coming back unanswered. Hyuk Jae was too deep in thought to listen. I lifted the edges of my lips up in a half smile, driving down the road a few more blocks before stopping in front of a galbi shop. Hyuk Jae was still in deep thought, while I changed the direction of my thoughts to the food I was going to indulge in.

I got out from the car after parking, walking to the front to wait for Hyuk Jae but as I turned back I noticed he wasn't even aware we had stopped. Looking between the restaurant and the car I groaned softly, stamping my foot, before walking around to the other side. Quickly opening the door I grabbed the other's attention. I leaned forward, undoing the seat belt and grabbing Hyuk Jae's wrist at the same time before tugging him out of the car. I waited a moment, standing in front of him, looking down as he looked up. A curious expression cross Hyuk Jae's face as he looked around.

"Where are we?" He questioned. I smiled and pointed to the restaurant.

"We are at a place to get food. You need food to think," I said, playfully cross with my words as I smelled the aroma of delicious food inside. Hyuk Jae finally seemed to understand and led the way inside, taking his shoes off in front of the door. I followed him, doing the same with my own shoes before finding a seat near the back of the restaurant. After finishing our order Hyuk Jae looked across the table at me excitedly.

"I've been here before. The food is delicious!" Hyuk Jae his lips.

"This is my favorite galbi restaurant," I smiled back, letting him know I've been here several times, but when I did his face became slightly forlorn, his actions a little shy.

"Really?" Hyuk Jae questioned, his brows raising slightly. "This isn't a very common place for people to know about... I-I didn't think someone like you would have come here before..." Hyuk Jae analyzed, his voice lowering as he said every word. He shifted in his seat, leaning back a little. I lowered my head, understanding his meaning.

"Please ignore my sisters words," I said determinedly. "I know when we first met I seemed very pompous and outrageous with my requests. I can't deny that was how I was raised." I raised my eyes, looking directly in Hyuk Jae's. "But that's not who I really am or how I want to be. That is why I left my family's house. I can't agree with their ways of thinking or ideals of society." I finished my small speech, letting silence fall over the table as our food came. The two of us began eating, continu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter