Chapter 11

The Unexpected Becomes The Expected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Unexpected Becomes the Expected

Story by LeeHwaYoung

 

My eyes barely left the tan package that I held in my hands in front of me. I felt a complex confusion erupt. What could Young-Yi possibly have left me? What message could he have given me? I was looking forward to hear from Young-Yi again, as if he had come back from the grave, but also worried that his message would be too depressing for me to take. A soft voice interrupted me from my thoughts, made me look up for the first time from the package.

"Hyuk Jae?" The voice belonging to Donghae, interrupted my thoughts again, worry echoing off the walls of the parking garage. I was facing Donghae's car, the door to the passenger side seat open. I nodded, taking a firm grasp of the package as I tried to push myself up from the wheelchair, the effort more than I needed as Donghae helped me up and into the passenger side seat.

I sighed as I tried to relax and get comfortable while Donghae put the wheelchair in the back of the car. A sense of unsureness washed over me as Donghae continued to help me in whatever way. We still had many things we needed to discuss and resolve, but his presence next to me also helped me to relax, reassuring me to not be afraid of silly things. I cleared my throat as I heard Donghae get into the drivers seat, slam his door closed, and start up the engine. It wasn't long before I was engrossed in the package in front of me again.

I breathed in deeply, letting my eyes fall closed for a brief moment. I couldn't delay reading Young-Yi's letter forever, and now seemed a better time than ever. I squeezed the edges of the package with one of my hands, making the mouth of the package open wide, like a fish's mouth. With my other hand I grabbed the paper inside, pausing for a moment, jumping when Donghae waved his hand in front of my face.

"What?" I asked harshly because of the sudden scare, turning my head in Donghae's direction.

"Your seatbelt! Please put it on before I leave!" Donghae gave me an incredulous look, but tried to keep the anger out of his voice. My cheeks warmed slightly as I realized my mistake. I nodded and turned, pulling the seatbelt down and buckling it into the lock. Donghae didn't say another word as he began driving out of the hospital. My attention went back to the package in front of me, not delaying another second. I swiftly removed the paper from the tan package, breathing in and out deeply. My eyes drifted back to Donghae, who didn't seem to be paying any attention, except to the road, as I unfolded the paper. I let my eyes drift back to the paper, recognizing the neat beautiful script that my Young-Yi wrote.

Even before I began reading I felt a sob nearly escape my lips. Even the sight of my ex's handwriting had such an effect on me. I slowly scanned my eyes over the words, taking in every word written on the paper. As I continue to read I felt my grip on the edges of the paper tightening, crinkling the sides, unnoticed tears trickling down, blurring my vision.

As I finished reading Young-Yi's words, I dropped my head to my chest, letting the intensity of his words fill me up and spill out in the form of tears, continuously dripping down, sobs escaping my lips. I was too out of sorts to notice the shaky driving, one hand holding the steering wheel in a death grip making the knuckle turn white, the other hand gently holding my wrist.

It wasn't until the car jerked to a stop that I looked up, noticing Donghae's intense stare and the looming apartment in front of the car. I continued to sob, unable to hold my feelings back.

"There's nothing to worry about. I'll be here," Donghae's words repeated themselves, his own thoughts unable to come up with anything better to say. I looked up into Donghae's eyes, through my own tear stained face. My love for Young-Yi was still strong and I felt a sense of need to earn his forgiveness. I had to do som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter