Chapter 5

Blind To Love

Yesung sat with Ryeowook on the van that night as they headed back to the dorm after a whole day at the amusement park. The members were all tired out, and all of them were asleep.

 

Except for Sungmin and Yesung.

 

Yesung twirled his finger around the bunny’s ear. As he turned to look at Sungmin who was sitting beside Kyuhyun, Yesung could see that he was gazing out of the window.

 

Yesung stared back down at the pink bunny in his arms. He hugged it tightly against his chest; trying to soothe his broken heart with its warmth.

 

“Min…” Yesung mumbled as he felt a single tear escaped from his tightly closed eyes.

 

Sungmin stared out of the window. Shakily, he raised his hand and used his finger to trace out the letters “I LOVE YOU” on the window pane. Sungmin lost count of how many times he had traced out the same words, but he just knew it was never enough to represent how much he really loves Yesung.

 

Sungmin had regretted right then when he did not accept Yesung’s gift. He regretted it the moment he took that step back. That bunny is the only thing that told Sungmin that he was noticed and cared for by Yesung, and yet he just had to reject that gift. That gift that had represented a glitter of hope to Sungmin that Yesung could have seen him under a different light from everyone else; and he just had to reject that perfect gift of hope presented to him.

 

“Yesung…” Sungmin mumbled as he felt a single tear landing on his cheek.

 

Yesung and Sungmin headed straight to their room when the Suju members finally arrived home. “What is wrong with them?” Donghae whispered into Eunhyuk’s ear, who stifled a giggle and shrugged in answer.

 

Yesung jumped onto his bed, still hugging the pink bunny tightly in his arms. He lay on his back as he held up the bunny.

 

“Min… Why do you love Kyuhyun?? Min… Why can’t the person you love be me?...”

 

“I guess this bunny is called Min eh?” Ryeowook’s voice shocked Yesung. Yesung looked up and replied to the Maknae who had just entered the room, “Its full name is SungSung Min. I thought of it during the ride back home.” Yesung slumped back down onto his bed.

 

“Let me guess. Sungsung being Yesung and Sungmin? And using Min as its name so as to let that pink bunny… how do I say it… replace Sungmin so that you can rant to it?” Ryeowook was one smart man. Yesung nodded and hugged the toy tightly, grumbling, “Since I can never have Sungmin, then I will have Min.”

 

You already have Sungmin, you idiot. Ryeowook rolled his eyes. “Why don’t you just stand back up and try again to win Sungmin’s heart instead of giving up after one “rejection”? Playing ignorance is not the solution.” Ryeowook advised as he snatched the rabbit toy out of Yesung’s hug.

 

Yesung stared at the ceiling. And he realized that Ryeowook is right. He clutched his chest. He wouldn’t be able to stand Sungmin being with someone else. He wouldn’t be able to take it if the person that Sungmin will be with is not him. Yesung sat up on his bed and look at Ryeowook in the eyes, “I am not giving Sungmin up. I am not giving him up to Kyuhyun.”

 

Ryeowook smiled.

 

Yesung snatched back the pink rabbit from Ryeowook and glared at him for being so violent to his toy.

 

“But i am still keeping Min.”

 

Sungmin’s pillow was clearly soaked with tears. He felt so restless now after crying his eyes out the moment they had reached home. He decided to head for the kitchen to grab something to eat. Chocolate pudding again. As he opened his door, he noticed Ryeowook leaving his room too. Ryeowook also noticed Sungmin, and they both exchanged smiles. But both of them knew that Sungmin wasn’t really giving a genuine smile at all. They headed to the kitchen together, Sungmin aiming for the fridge while Ryeowook took a glass of water.

 

Ryeowook sat opposite of Sungmin at the dining table as he watched the boy dig into his chocolate pudding. “You know… Yesung is unhappy now…” Ryeowook started off, and was not surprised to see the older man stunned for a moment, before resuming to consuming big spoons of the dessert.

 

Sungmin stopped stuffing himself with pudding after a few seconds of silence. “Di…didn’t he give you something? Like a present maybe?” Sungmin replied in a shaky tone, making it evident to Ryeowook that Sungmin must have been crying just now.

 

“Oh you mean that pink bunny?” Ryeowook replied, noticing Sungmin’s expression fall, “Was it meant for me? Because I snatched it from him and he got angry and snatched it back, claiming it is his.” Ryeowook gave a small smile as he could clearly see Sungmin brightening up a bit.

 

He didn’t give that pink bunny to Ryeowook. Perhaps there is still hope for me…

 

Sungmin couldn’t fall asleep even though he had said good night to Ryeowook more than two hours ago. It was three in the morning, and everyone was bound to be asleep by now.

 

But not Sungmin.

 

He couldn’t take it anymore. Getting out of bed as noiseless as he could, not wanting to wake the already snoring Kyuhyun on the other bed, and opened his bedroom door, slowly heading towards Yewook’s room. He opened the door quietly, and tip toed into the room

 

What is he doing here?! Sungmin really didn’t know. He walked towards Yesung’s bed, and could see the pink bunny poking out of the blankets, beside Yesung’s face, hugged tightly by the sleeping turtle.

 

Sungmin gave a peck on the pink bunny’s face. He did not know why, but this pink bunny really mean a lot between him and Yesung. “Good night…” he whispered before heading out of the room back to his bed.

 

Sungmin fall asleep right after that.

 

The next morning Yesung walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes groggily and yawning, and in his right hand, Yesung was clutching Min, the pink bunny. Sungmin noticed it immediately when Yesung stepped into the room, and found Yesung really cute as he looked like an elementary school kid who got up before school.

 

“Good morning to you.” Heechul said in a sarcastic tone, as Yesung sat down on the only seat vacant which was beside Sungmin and demanded for toast. Yesung still did not bother to greet back, and set Min on his lap as he happily bite down on his toast that Leeteuk presented to him.

 

Ryeowook, Donghae and Eunhyuk were busy discussing about the photo shoot they were going to do later that day, about what they might end up wearing.

 

“Why must the photo shoot be so far away from Seoul? I don’t want to travel back here all the way and arrive back to the dorm so late again.” Shindong whined, as he munched on his gigantic ham sandwich.

 

“That’s why we are spending the night there at the photo shoot site.” Leeteuk replied as he refilled Shiwon’s cup with coffee, receiving a warm thanks from him.

 

Heechul stared at the pink bunny on Yesung’s lap. He never knew pink was Yesung’s colour. Let alone stuff toys being Yesung’s thing. “That little creature… Why the heck did you bring it with you to the dining table?” Heechul snarled as he pointed at Min.

 

“It is not a little thing. It has a name, and it is SungSung.” Yesung couldn’t really tell Heechul his bunny’s name was Min, since the genuine one was sitting just right beside him, he did not want any awkwardness. So he blabbered out Min’s “surname”.

 

Eunhyuk giggled at the name. Shiwon choked on his coffee and everyone could hear the clatter of a plate in the sink where Leeteuk was washing the dishes. Ryeowook should have warned him not to blabber out such a weird name. Shindong and Donghae just exchange looks of utter shock. They couldn’t believe Yesung was that kind of guy that still keep toys, let alone name them. Heechul looked flabbergasted. “ARE YOU SO IN LOVE WITH YOURSELF THAT YOU GIVE IT A NAME LIKE THAT?!” Heechul stood up and pointed an accusing finger at Yesung. He was too disgusted by this. He let out a frustrating growl and stormed out of the kitchen. Yesung was infuriated and ran after Heechul, and the members could hear shouts in the living room. Shiwon groaned. So much for wanting a quiet morning before work.

 

Sungmin stare at the pink bunny that was left innocently on the seat by Yesung. Sungmin thought the name was cute. SungSung. He liked it. But why would Yesung choose a name like that? Sungmin knows Yesung is nowhere as in love with himself as Heechul.

 

Sungmin just couldn’t figure it out.

 

Yesung was still holding Min in his arms as they all got up onto the van. They had packed sleeping bags for the sleepover in one of the beach houses at the photo shoot site. Heechul kept a far distance Yesung, and so did Yesung, as he did not want his bunny to get chucked out of the window by the scary Cinderella. Yesung aimed for the seat beside Sungmin, smiling proudly as he had beaten Kyuhyun to the seat, who pouted and headed to sit beside Leeteuk. Yesung did not notice the utterly shocked Sungmin who was staring at him wide-eyed beside him.

 

Yesung turned to face the still stunned Sungmin, giving him a bright smile; trying to cover up all his shyness and nervousness that was raging in his heart. Mygoshicantbelieveijustsitbesidesungminwithoutthinkingthisissoawkward!! Yesung turned back and stared at Min, tugging its ear, while Sungmin just fidgeted in his seat, immediately fishing out his mp3 player from his bag to listen to some songs to drive away all the built-up emotions he was feeling.

 

The other members were chatting away during the three-hour bus ride. Eunhyuk and Donghae just being loving in plain sight, Heechul and Shiwon quarreling about religious values, while Kyuhyun and Leeteuk were singing random songs loudly and Ryeowook was talking about how Henry was spending his days in China with Zhoumi, with Shindong pretending to be listening while his mind was filled with the amount of seafood he can eat at the photo shoot site which was at a beach.

 

Yesung had to say something to Sungmin. This was his opportunity to get him.

 

Sungmin felt something on his cheek. Turning around, he turned red as he noticed Yesung holding out SungSung’s hand his cheek. Why is Yesung acting like that?! Sungmin was at a loss for words.

 

“Wanna play with SungSung? I know you want to!!” Yesung took off one of Sungmin’s earphones and whispered into his ear. Sungmin shivered at the hot breath he felt at his ear and stare at the pink bunny held up by Yesung.

 

That pink bunny is really too cute to not play with.

 

Sungmin nodded slowly.

 

Yesung beamed, his mind exploding with happiness. Sungmin smiled and took the bunny from Yesung, and started using it to mimic the SUJU members. Yesung placed Sungmin’s earphone he was still holding in his own ear, laughing at Sungmin’s impersonations using SungSung. Sungmin did not realize how much he was smiling right now, as they both listen to the song playing on his player.

 

“When I see you my heart skips a beat…


I'm getting ready to tell you how I feel…


Meeting you was good luck...


Falling into it like this…


Like cotton candy, I’ll melt you…


I’ll leave this one-sided love…


My love…”

 

Ryeowook turned to the back and spotted the two guys laughing and looking like as though there were spending the time of their lives. Sungmin was finally really smiling. Yesung had never looked happier.

 

Ryeowook grinned and leaned back onto his seat.

 

Now the real show has begun…

 

 

TBC...