Chapter 2

Blind To Love

“Sung…Sungmin…”

 

Yesung stared at the spot where Sungmin once stood. Ryeowook smiled at Yesung. He was right. “Are you sure that you still love me?” Ryeowook questioned again. “I… I…” Yesung stuttered. Ryeowook stood up and headed towards their shared room, feeling the need to leave the rabbit and turtle alone to talk. Yesung stared after him. Why couldn’t he answer Ryeowook’s question? Why did he have to hesitate at that moment? And what did Ryeowook mean that the reason Sungmin was acting weirdly was the same as Yesung’s? Was Ryeowook right? Has he fallen in love with Sungmin?... And…Was Sungmin in love with him too?...

 

Yesung led out a silent grunt as he scratched his head like as though it was infested with fleas.

 

Sungmin heard the sound of the door closing. They must have went back to the room… Throwing the empty plastic cup that was once filled with chocolate pudding into the bin, he decided it was safe to leave the kitchen. He did not want to get himself into another awkward and heartbreaking situation; it will be too much to bear… Sungmin might finally breakdown… He wanted to rush back into Kyuhyun’s and his shared room and just muffle his sobs with his pillow, crying himself to sleep. But God did not answer his prayers. As Sungmin stepped out of the kitchen, he saw the last person he wanted to see that night. Yesung. Sungmin was stunned, but seeing how Yesung was deeply engaged with the activity of scratching his head, Sungmin decided to slip past him, silently and quietly. His eyes on the door to his room.

 

He tiptoed… almost there… almost there…

 

“Sungmin.”

 

A hand grabbed onto Sungmin’s wrist when he was just a few more steps to his destination.

 

Sungmin was so concentrated on reaching his goal; he did not hear the soft creaks the floor had made when he took each step. Yesung, who looked up immediately after hearing the slightest sound, caught Sungmin in the act of sneaking away. Without second thoughts, he reached out for Sungmin.

 

No… Sungmin could feel his emotions returning back to his heart. The hurt, the pain, those feelings that were drowned by the chocolate pudding were coming back. He could feel tears in his eyes, but Sungmin tried his best to hold it back. No. Crying in front of Yesung was the last thing he wanted to happen.

 

“Sorry Yesung hyung, I shouldn’t have interrupted the conversation you were having with Ryeowook, I never mean to eavesdrop. “ Sungmin quickly mumbled and tried to free his wrist from Yesung’s grip. But Yesung didn’t let go.

 

“Sungmin… I…”

 

Sungmin took a deep breath before turning to face Yesung, as he looked at him in the eyes, cutting off Yesung’s words. “Sorry hyung, I would have tried my best to help you get with Ryeowook if he wasn’t attached, because I can’t really bear to break Henry and Ryeowook up, so I can’t help you this time… I guess this is your own battle…” Sungmin struggled a bit more with his wrist, “You… must really love… him, don’t you?”

 

Yesung stared into Sungmin’s eyes. He could see the tears that were threatening to fall. But he could sense Sungmin trying his best to hold it in. Why is he crying again? Yesung was getting frustrated. He did not want to see Sungmin in pain; he did not want to see him suffering. Yesung’s grip around Sungmin’s wrist tightened. Sungmin flinched.

 

“Ye…Yesung… let… go of me… my wrist is hurting…” Sungmin winced at the pain, “Was it something I did? Why are you still holding on to me?” Yesung couldn’t answer Sungmin. He couldn’t even answer himself. Why was he holding on to Sungmin? What did he even intend to do, after grabbing Sungmin?

 

Then he realized why he did it. He wanted to know…

 

“Sungmin… are… are you in love with me?”

 

Sungmin felt like as thought the living room was falling apart. All he wanted to do is to drop into a deep dark hole, to shun Yesung, to shun his question, to shun the fact that Yesung might have already found out his secret.

 

“No… No!! Are you crazy hyung?? Of course not! Yes I love someone, but it is someone else! So don’t worry about me!” Sungmin denied. He wasn’t going to let Yesung know, and make him feel guilty because he will not be able to love him back. He did not want Yesung’s sympathy. Sungmin did not want anything from Yesung at all.

 

Liar. A voice in Sungmin’s head whispered. You want his love…

 

Hearing Sungmin’s answer, Yesung stiffened. Deep down, that wasn’t what Yesung hoped Sungmin’s answer will be. He was wishing for something else. He was… disappointed.

 

Slowly, Yesung loosen his grip on Sungmin…

 

Sungmin took off and ran into his bedroom once he felt the hand on his wrist let go. Sungmin was glad that Kyuhyun was in the bathroom, leaving him with an empty bedroom. After closing the door behind him, Sungmin fell to the ground.

 

“Sniff… I hate… I hate this… All of this!!!!” Sungmin finally allowed his tears to fall. Pounding the floor with his clenched fists, Sungmin just wanted to scream.

 

But no, not now. Not here. Not when everyone is here.

 

Yesung stared at the ground. The hand that had held onto Sungmin clenched into a fist. Yesung was angry. He was boiling with anger. No, it was jealousy. He stomped towards his bedroom and flung open the door. Ryeowook, who was lying on his bed, looked up from the fashion magazine he was reading, shocked by Yesung’s loud entrance. Yesung slammed the door, threw himself onto his bed and buried his head in his pillow.

 

 “What is your problem?” Ryeowook raised an eyebrow.

 

“Nothing.” Yesung replied coldly.

 

“What happen? Did you talk to Sungmin?” Ryeowook sat up.

 

“ARGH!!! Damn it I feel so stupid! Of course he is in love with Kyuhyun, who else?! Why did I even bother asking if he loves me!” Yesung shouted into his pillow, which muffled his voice, so it did not sound as loud.

 

“Wait… you asked him if he loves you?!” Ryeowook voice squeaked. Ryeowook felt like strangling Yesung. Who in the world will ask someone if he loved him before confessing his own feelings!? “Well, at least Yesung figured out his own feelings, it is quite a huge achievement for someone as dense as a turtle,” Ryeowook thought. Yesung nodded his head; face still buried in the pillow.

 

“And Sungmin said he loved someone else?” Ryeowook asked again.

 

“If someone else you mean by Kyuhyun. IT WAS SO OBVIOUS! Piggybacking Kyuhyun, smiling so sweetly. Even a blind person would’ve noticed!” Yesung shouted again into his pillow, but realized he had contradicted himself; a blind person can’t even see, let alone notice something. Now Ryeowook feel like choking Sungmin. Why did he lie?! It was obvious to Ryeowook that Sungmin has feelings for Yesung (only that guy can’t see it); all those little glances, gazing, and nervousness around the turtle. Ryeowook shook his head in disbelief. He can never understand these two dummies!!

 

“I GIVE UP!!” Ryeowook groaned as he slumped back onto his bed and switched off the bedside lamp. Yesung looked up from his pillow to the back that was facing him on the other bed, “give up on what?” Receiving silence as a reply from the Eternal Maknae.

 

Sungmin was good at acting. Yesung knew that, as he stared at Sungmin who walked in sleepily the next morning and greeted everyone cutely. But Sungmin’s eyes never lied. The way Sungmin avoided his gaze told Yesung perfectly that Sungmin still mind the event that occurred last night.

 

Heechul was frowning, his hair sticking in odd directions, as he waited impatiently for Ryeowook to finish making breakfast. Donghae was playing with Eunhyuk’s hair, who had his head on the table snoring loudly. Shiwon was reading newspapers, while Leeteuk was fussing over Shindong who was crunching on potato chips, complaining, “This is not a proper breakfast Shin Dong Hee!!” Sungmin settled on the seat beside Kyuhyun, accepting a big hug from the boy. Yesung drank from his cup, allowing the coffee to calm his anger, as he glared at the spoon that was placed on the table beside his fork.

 

“YAH. Did the spoon dig out your heart or something? Why are you staring at it so grudgingly?” Heechul yelled as he pointed at Yesung.

 

“What? You got a pro-“Ryeowook hit Yesung’s head with the plate of pancakes, cutting Yesung off, who was rubbing his head, soothing the pain.

 

“Guys, today is off day for us. Schedules free for everyone. Anyone have ideas on what to do?” Leeteuk announced over the table as everyone grabbed for the pancakes Ryeowook served on the table. Everyone, including Eunhyuk who was woken up from the commotion, were shouting weird suggestions.

 

“Lets head to the salon for a whole day of pedicure, manicure!!” Heechul suggested.

 

“I think the church is a better idea” Shiwon replied.

 

“How about setting up our telescope and see if we can catch any alien spaceships?!” Donghae raised his hand enthusiastically.

 

“Let’s just go for a buffet.” Shindong said through a mouthful of chips.

 

“Or maybe we can organise a dance party and invite everyone over!!” Eunhyuk shouted as he stood up and start dancing ily.

 

“I just want to stay home and play starcraft.” Kyuhyun muttered.

 

Ryeowook thought for a moment. Maybe he shouldn’t give up. Not yet.

 

“Erm… what about… the amusement park?” Ryeowook asked.

 

There was silence.

 

“YES!! I WANT TO SIT THE MERRY-GO-ROUND WITH EUNHYUK!!” Donghae squealed. Eunhyuk started dancing again.

 

“Argh, fine. At least they have scary rides.” Heechul placed his hands on his head. Shiwon nodded in agreement.

 

“I like candy floss.” Shindong replied.

 

“They have arcade there, right?” Kyuhyun’s eyes brightened up.

 

“Then I guess amusement park it is!!” Leeteuk clapped his hands together.

 

Sungmin and Yesung were silent. Yesung was poking his pancake with his fork roughly. Sungmin was sipping his glass of milk quietly. Neither of them paying any attention to the commotion.

 

Yes. Ryeowook grinned. The first part of his plan had succeeded.

 

Operation Yemin, ready for action!

 

 

TBC...